Wallace v Roberts 2009

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ticker Tape Reel

Transfer News, as it happens

- 2.7.9 Mickey Poole (Physio) has his contract mutually terminated (£3k)

- 4.7.9 Paul Bowes (Physio) joins Ten Ton FC

- 5.7.9 Steve Driscoll (GK) joins Ten Ton on loan from Burnley (e.o.s)

- 5.7.9 Chris Walker (F C) joins Ten Ton on loan from Preston (e.o.s)

- 7.7.9 Stefan Jones (GK) joins Ten Ton FC

- 9.9.9 Trevor Russell signs for Stalybridge

Friendlies are about to begin.

Targets

Get a new centre back, and new D LC (In Progress)

Get a back-up striker (In Progress)

Get a new coach (Not possible, the board won’t permit another coach)

Get a Goalkeeping coach (Not possible)

Get a Scout to replace Dave (Not possible, I think Tony Jervis renewed Dave’s contract)

Get rid of Adam Blackwell (Not done)

Get rid of Paul Storer (Not done)

Get rid of Darren Hamilton and Kieron Martin, both *Youth* (Not done)

Get rid of Tony Jervis (Not done, I may do so, requires £1k in compensation)

Get rid of useless players in the Reserves (Not done)

Screenshots available upon request.

good luck in achieving your targets canvey!

bermy - do you want to slide me down the Monkeys list a few places. my computer ain't up to playing a season in anywhere near the timeframe at the moment. once i have it i'll look to get back on the bandwagon so to speak!

Guest roberto922

August and September

Braintree 0 - 1 Dorchester

Not really surprised we lost this tbh, I was still sorting the team out and the season started before I had the chance to sort it.

Hampton & Richmond 2 - 3 Braintree

Good to have my first win, it was a close match but we came out the winners.

Braintree 3 - 0 Sutton Utd

La, la, la I'm not listening :(

Hayes & Yeading 2 - 0 Braintree

Bad result but I've nearly got the right back and left mid I've been chasing so hopefully they can tighten up the defense and bring in a few assists respectively.

Braintree 1 - 0 St Albans

Finally a win! the right back I signed seems to have helped no ends and with that problem area sorted I've just got the left mid to sort out, a loanee should be with us by the next game.

Braintree 1 - 1 Eastleigh: Conference League Cup South 1st Round

We ended up winning on penalties 4-3 it was really close game and could have gone either way so I'm more than happy with the result

Eastleigh 0 - 0 Braintree

Decent result, nothing special.

Braintree 1 - 0 Newport County

A much needed win pushes us up 4 places in the table

Braintree 2 - 3 Thurrock

Unfortunate result, deserved at least a point

Braintree 3 - 2 Kendal: FA Cup 2nd Qual. Round

Happy just to get a win tbh, Crowe has scored 3 in 2 after failing to score in all the other games so certainly happy that he seems to be hitting form now.

Braintree 1 - 1 Tiverton

I spoke too soon :/

Fixtures after September 29th

League Table

Star Players in my opinion:

Raymond Watt

Gary Thorne

Richard Crowe

Richard Crowe needs to be kept, he is fantastic, he had a very slow start to the season but just look at his stats, he's set do very well if he does stay.

Fair enough.

I know that dafuge wants to wait til later, so I figure that means it's down to:

Benjaminoo

Mikel_LUFC or

LiRiM-InSaNe

Any of you want to pick up the reigns? Looks like it might be best to start over.

I've got exams the rest of this week and next, so I won't have that much time atm, sorry.

Friendlies

Bamber Bridge 1-3 Blyth

I put out my strongest team for my debut match, and we started off poorly but came back towards the end with two superb goals. Chris Walker (on loan from Preston) performed well, netting one as a striker and one as an attacking left-winger. Despite some initial problems with mentality and defensive line, the team performed well as a unit, the strikers excelling, and my only real negative analysis is that we need more/better midfield players, especially a back-up left winger (a problem I’m currently in the process of addressing).

Blyth 2-2 Cambridge City

Our long-range shooting was good, evidenced by our two long-range goals, but our relatively slow defence is causing a problem. I’m considering dropping my current attacking wingers formation and introducing a 4-4-2 diamond, giving the defence the opportunity to go deeper without worrying about large spaces between them and the midfield.

Marine 1-1 Blyth

We did well to get a result out of this, considering Marine’s domination. Still, it’s always disappointing not to win and the central midfield really needs to be sorted if we’re going to mount a serious top-half bid this season.

Eastwood 1-2 Blyth

After a poor start with poor passing and an inability to retain possession, we soon got back into the swing of things with two wonderful goals. The match was officiated by the Referee Development Officer at my local FA, good old Kevin Pike.

Cammell Laird 1-4 Blyth

A comfortable victory in a match we dominated for long periods of time. The majority of the goals came late on, as we reaffirmed our result.

I’ve signed a young youth central defender with a lot of potential, Karl Ingram. As an insult to the Softies, I discovered him, and put in the contract offer, while he was at Braintree on trial. That pretty much finishes off the defence, which leaves the midfield to sort out. I’ve also brought in a decent young striker, Matthew Abbott.

Assistant manager Tony Jervis has gone, for compensation £1k, and replaced with the attacking and defending master Aaron Oakes. Steven Porter, M RC has come in from Bognor Regis. AM L/ST Pete Clifton has arrived for £3k from Brackley and Callum Brown, M LC has arrived from Carlisle for £1k. He looks quality. With these new midfielders, Kieron Martin *Youth* and Darren Hamilton *Youth* have been free transferred.

Pre-season Review

All in all a good pre-season, no losses, and some good wins. Admittedly, the opposition weren’t great (Tony Jervis arranged these) but I’d rather get some morale-boosting wins over small teams than lose terribly but get money from playing bigger teams. Plus, it welcomed me well for my first actual season as a Monkeys manager.

Squad

Central defence looks the weakest area. I’ve put in a youth contract for a central defender who is floating about, and if he arrives I’m going to try and shift Paul Storer and Tony Buchanan. It looks like both of them will need £1k compensation to terminate their contracts: no one is interested in buying them. Joe Wilson and Adam Blackwell are also expected to go.

Guest roberto922

Oh and I hope this doesn't sound too cheeky after I only did half a season but could you rename Richard Crowe Roberto922 since I discovered him and became a bit of a fan of him after signing him? If so thnks :thup:

August

Blyth 3-1 Bedford

A great result for a season opener. We started superbly and within just over 20 minutes were 2-0 up. Bedford had a good amount of chances, though, but the defenders and goalkeeper Steve Driscoll coped well and we put it out of their reach at the beginning of the second half.

MOM: Phil Russell (8.3)

Hyde 0-1 Blyth

A fairly uneventful game but we got the enviable result thanks to Phil Russell’s goalscoring antics, once again. The match was perhaps more notable for injuries, as I had to replace Karl Nash and Pete Clifton due to them.

MOM: Iain Porter (7.3)

Blyth 3-2 Gainsborough

Gainsborough took the early lead but we got it back on track with 2 penalties. After that it was fairly simple: Gainsborough had a lot of the possession but our defenders did well to only concede one extra goal.

MOM: Gainsborough captain David Wood (7.6)

Harrogate 2-1 Blyth

This was a big match: 1st placed (us) against 2nd. Unfortunately, we came out of worse, Graeme Pepper giving away a penalty to double Harrogate’s lead. We got a good goal in the second half through loanee Chris Walker, but it wasn’t enough.

MOM: Harrogate’s Neal Barber (7.5)

Blyth 3-0 Tamworth

It was a game in which we played disappointingly: it was Tamworth’s to lose. And lose it they did. After Steven Porter’s opening goal in the second half, we accelerated into life to lift spirits at the end of the month.

MOM: Graeme Pepper *Youth* (8.1)

League Table – It’s tight towards the top but the good news is that we have the league’s strongest attacking record.

Transfers – I’ve just brought in a D RC for £1k from Carlisle, Danny Brown. He looks to be a key first team player. Good news for the next Monkey is that they have two friendly matches against Carlisle to play :D.

EOS Update

After a shakey transitional period the team really picked up form(4 wins and 2 draws in the last 6 games) and ended the season in a deceptively high position. We were looking strong candidated for relegation until a few games to go as shown here.

The squad was ok but it needs strengthening up front and at the back cheifly.

Watt played brilliantly between the sticks and Crowe(dubbed Roberto922) was top scorer.

All in all an average season but with improvements the team could challenge at the right end of the table.

Finally the man himself.

Save game to follow

Great work Mikel, glad to see us recovered from the bottom, now hopefully we can build and push up for next season :)

No idea who is next for the softies with all the people wanting to delay, but surely we can come up with someone. I am not free til probably next week (Monday) at the earliest, but if it gets to my monday (NZ time) and no one else is able to do it I will have a run at improving us up that league :)

September

Hinckley 3-1 Blyth a.e.t.

Conference League Cup N 1st Round

Two early penalties and the initial scoreline could have been much worse for us. We came back thanks to Phil Russell to force extra time. However, Steve Driscoll decided that in extra time he would act like an idiot, gifting the hosts two goals to send us out of this competition. The board expect the Second Round but they can go to hell. As the post-match analysis says, the referee ‘may have been accused of bias towards the hosts’.

MOM: Hinckley’s Jay Franks (7.6)

Fleetwood 1-2 Blyth

We had a dismal first half, and ended up trailing at the break. Then we got back into it with a penalty, and a beautiful debut strike from Joe Woodley *Youth* won us the game in superb fashion.

MOM: Joe Woodley *Youth* (7.9)

Kidderminster 1-1 Blyth

I didn’t expect us to be able to beat recently relegated Kidderminster on their home soil, but Karl Nash *Youth*’s dramatic equaliser close to time got us a brilliant draw. And I take solace in the fact that Kidderminster only achieved it by injuring two of our players.

MOM: Kidderminster’s Neville Morris (7.8)

Blyth 2-1 Stafford

Our passing was abysmal, and Stafford took early advantage of that. However, towards the end of the game we put together some superb moves and looked clearly the strongest side, Stafford reduced to long shots, and won the game.

MOM: Callum Brown (7.7)

AFC Wimbledon 2-2 Blyth

FA Cup 2nd Qual. Round

We knew we would have a tough match away to AFC Wimbledon, but we would have stood a good chance if it weren’t for Danny Brown, giving away two penalties. However, in wonderful fashion, we scored two late goals to draw level, the second one offside (but I don’t mind), and take this match to a replay.

MOM: AFC Wimbledon’s penalty-taking Solomon Osman (8.1)

Blyth 2-1 AFC Wimbledon

FA Cup 2nd Qual. Rnd Rep

We played well in this match, and the majority of AFC Wimbledon attacks were stifled by our alert defence, the key man for us being Jon Sayer.

MOM: Jon Sayer (7.6)

League Table

Paul Wallace also came second in the manager of the month award.

October

Solihull Moors 1-3 Blyth

A good game for us, with some great goals. The only real issue was a poor defensive performance from Karl Ingram, which led to the former Northern Monkeys getting their consolation.

MOM: Jon Sayer (7.6)

Blyth 4-1 Chesham

FA Cup 3rd Qual. Round

An easy match for us and after Matthew Abbott’s debut goal the floodgates opened. It was, however, a shame about the lapse of concentration in the closing minutes.

MOM: Matthew Abbott (8.4)

Blyth 0-1 Vauxhall

We dominated the match and Vauxhall scored with their first shot. We were robbed.

MOM: Vauxhall’s Paul Murphy (7.5)

Blyth 0-2 Gateshead

The form book along with any promotion ambitions is thrown out of the window as we are sent a crippling second home defeat on the trot. Where better to embarrass ourselves than in front of our rivals?

MOM: Gateshead’s Andy Neilson (8.0)

Blyth 2-1 North Leigh

FA Cup 4th Rnd Qual.

I was honestly expecting to lose this game, given our poor last two home games and North Leigh having caused two upsets in the competition already. Fortunately, we pulled through so my computer is safe from being chucked out the window. For now.

MOM: André McLeod (7.8)

A great coincidence who we have next – Gillingham!

Blyth 4-5 King’s Lynn

When we made the comeback to lead 3-2 at half-time, I thought we might win this game. But no. Just no.

MOM: King’s Lynn’s Terry Rawlinson (8.2)

League

A terrible month for us. The FA Cup provided a brief respite but everyone is on drugs and has lost their ability to play.

Although a bad month, if you win your two games in hand you are only 3 pts from 1st which I think is a really good start to the season. I had a bash with Blyth as my first game on FM09 and it is a really grim prospect trying to gain promotion.

Btw I do raise a request with 'management' that Roberto922 should never be given the opportunity to manage any team in this challenge again... serial poster, repeat offender.

Right, all Softies, my computer has decided that it can't handle FM09.

So over the weekend and on Monday it will be getting all the required Specs in it. (3.2 GHz processor, 4GB RAM, 512MB Graphics :D)

So I can't go untill after Monday. Sorry, i know I was meant to go next.

Good updates Canvey - not going too bad at all - play offs would be nice.

Dava - don't really want to blackball anyone and in view of the feedback Roberto's given already, it doesn't sound like he'll be interested in another go anyway.

LiRiM-InSaNe (that's a pain to type!) - unless someone wants to go first and rattle through a season, that seems fair enough.

I'd be willing to step in and play a season, if everyone else is busy. Should have a bit of time this weekend (not sure I can completely finish a season by Monday, but it shouldn't be very far off.)

I know I'm not on the list though, and I haven't even posted in this thread before (though I have been reading it), so I'd understand if you'd rather not have me come in out of the blue and jump the queue.

:)

Well as I have posted I am not able to do one til monday, I am willing to give a vote for Coach to take a season before Monday and then let Lirim go, :) Of course i sit 11th on the queue and if it happens to get around to me I will probably still be 11th :p (Of course my Monday is UK Sunday ;)) But if anyone ever needs a sub from here on in I am relaxed til Jan 23rd or so, and willing to belt out a quick season over a weekend :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, LLR. :)

As there have been no objections in the 8 hrs or so since my offer to take over, I'm gonna assume it's ok and get on with it. (Though I realize it hasn't exactly been the most practical 8 hours for people to be on the forum and respond, but if I'm gonna finish a season in a weekend, I'll have to get cracking. Should a few major objections to my managerial position come in later in the day, I can still quit and let someone else do it.) :)

I actually downloaded the save and did some acquaintancing/pre-season work earlier today already, so I should have a first brief update ready soon.

Braintree, June 14th 2010

Right then. Mr. Danny Roberts' multiple personality disorder kicked in on May 10th, and the new Danny started by looking at his staff and saw a serious lack of coaches. Obviously that's mainly the board's fault, since they don't allow more than 1 coach. One immediate change I made though: I offered the current one coach a new contract as Coach to replace his old contract as youth coach. It doesn't make a huge difference, but it's something.

Setting some half-decent training schedules was the next task. I assume that's an area of the game which doesn't get transferred with the save game, since everyone was in the default "general" training schedules.

I also arranged a quick friendly match against the reserves on May 11th - the last day on which that was possibly - just to get a feel for the squad. Unfortunately the assistant manager assumed he would take control of both teams, so the match was played without my presence. New orders issued to the assman about future friendly matches, and watched the highlights of the match, which ended at 0-0 in front of 19 hardcore spectators.

Main first impression of that friendly match: 13 shots, 2 on target. Frustrating season ahead is a distinct possibility.

Squad assessment/building has been the main task since then, which is still ongoing. Several players have expiring contracts, and they seem to be the right ones - the dead wood.

There is some quality in the squad, but there's definite room for improvement, so several new players will be brought in - as many as the wage budget will permit. So far, two new signings have been confirmed, with two more offers made. A few more signings will hopefully be possible after the new wage budget is announced.

The two players who have agreed to join, so far:

Charlie Redshaw

Liam Griffiths

While these aren't exactly the most inspired signings, they strengthen the squad in areas where it's needed.

Redshaw isn't great but has good potential, and is intended to be the backup right back for the upcoming season, with the starting right back still to sign. (Both current right backs are pretty much crap and are leaving the club.)

Left mid Griffiths is a bit better, at 4 stars, so he could do the job if needed, but if a better left mid comes on the radar, we'll go for it.

That's the main news for now. More updates some time in July.

Guest roberto922

Btw I do raise a request with 'management' that Roberto922 should never be given the opportunity to manage any team in this challenge again... serial poster, repeat offender.

Jesus mate chill, I've said I'm not going to be taking part again but what is wrong with me posting regularly on here exactly?

Braintree, June 25th 2010

A quick update at the crossover date into the next season.

The Best 11 for the 2009-10 season:

Best Eleven

Goalkeeper Raymond Watt was chosen as the supporters player of the year. He was also mentioned as the league's "signing of the season" runner-up. Obviously I have no intention of replacing him.

I promised the board a safe mid-table finish (the lowest option available), which means the wage budget stays pretty much the same as it was last season. (well, it went down 100€ or so.)

In other news, we now have a parent club: Blue Square Premier club Histon.

I'm well aware of the rules, but this was not my request - apparently the board thought we needed it. They're planning to send a player on loan, but I'll decline that deal.

John Hine is the best youth player of this year's batch. 2 star CA, 5 star PA, so not exactly someone we'll be able to sell for millions, but if we stay in this division for another season or two, he may be useful in the future.

And then finally, for now, another confirmed signing: Chris Beech.

Sign at all cost, the scout said, and I obliged. A strong, hard-working, determined, brave center-mid is always useful... though he may pick up a few cards along the way. :)

As there have been no objections in the 8 hrs or so since my offer to take over, I'm gonna assume it's ok and get on with it.

I was going to object. I won't be finished until Sunday, so if you finish on Monday, the Softies will be a season ahead and it'll be all out of sync.

Archived