FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

1 minute ago, Gangor said:

I hope they have pre-installed Windows for you given they don't provide a licence. If not you'll need to get a friend to put the installation image on a thumb drive for you 

no, no...silly me. They just offer the ability to for some reason pay more to have Windows 10 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Gangor said:

I hope they have pre-installed Windows for you given they don't provide a licence. If not you'll need to get a friend to put the installation image on a thumb drive for you 

It comes with Windows 11 Home pre-installed and licenced.

Edited by kevhamster

On 06/02/2024 at 12:44, AlfyDoor said:

Have gone for the £300 one, Will let you know! Many Thanks for your help. Much appreciated :)

Working great so far. Never been able to play the game with graphics set at 'very high' before! Excellent all-round laptop too.

Many Thanks again for your help Kev :)

Hey all.

I'm looking fora £250 budget laptop to play FM24.
I usually sim matches (more of a DOF player than a manager tbh) and graphics are on 2d with a medium database.

i'm looking at this right now. Is this a good deal, and would it run what i'm looking for?

https://combrotechnology.com/products/copy-of-dell-latitude-7390-intel-core-i5-7th-gen-8gb-256gb-ssd

If not, i'm open to suggestions. 

I also will use this laptop only for FM. I have a desktop/phone to use for other services. 

Edited by xMtch
Updating info

35 minutes ago, xMtch said:

Hey all.

I'm looking fora £250 budget laptop to play FM24.
I usually sim matches (more of a DOF player than a manager tbh) and graphics are on 2d with a medium database.

i'm looking at this right now. Is this a good deal, and would it run what i'm looking for?

https://combrotechnology.com/products/copy-of-dell-latitude-7390-intel-core-i5-7th-gen-8gb-256gb-ssd

If not, i'm open to suggestions. 

I also will use this laptop only for FM. I have a desktop/phone to use for other services. 

It would likely be ok - it doesn't give the full CPU model outside of it being an 8th gen i7, so it's hard to give an exact answer as to where it sits on the i7 range but I have no doubt it would run the game.

58 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

It would likely be ok - it doesn't give the full CPU model outside of it being an 8th gen i7, so it's hard to give an exact answer as to where it sits on the i7 range but I have no doubt it would run the game.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've also seen this one.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=slapacea51551011a&categoryName=laptops-windows&superCatName=computing&title=&queryID=7f73186b0e125ff3e6c871b1bed20b02&position=3

In your opinion, what would you recommend?

On 09/02/2024 at 15:55, xMtch said:

The first one is likely to be the better one as it's a 8th gen i7, versus a 7th gen i5 here.  What's your actual budget?  There may well be better options available with more modern specs.

27 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Looking to upgrade my laptop with a view to FM25 and unity.  Not really sure if I am looking at the right places so any help would be appreciated!

IdeaPad Gaming 3 16 (R7-16GB-1TB-RTX 3050Ti-16" WQXGA (2560 x 1600) IPS 500nits Anti-Glare) | Lenovo UK

Looks decent, and very well priced as well.

We don't have system requirements for FM25 yet, but I'd be shocked if this wasn't good enough.

Looking to cross the bridge from football manager on the ps5 to a laptop need the full experience to live a happy life! budget is £500, do these two tick the boxes or does anyone have any other recommendations for under £500

https://ao.com/product/m1605yamb388w-asus-vivobook-16-laptop-silver-99291-251.aspx

https://ao.com/product/x1502zaej465w-asus-vivobook-15-laptop-silver-99290-251.aspx

3 hours ago, Eggward said:

Looking to cross the bridge from football manager on the ps5 to a laptop need the full experience to live a happy life! budget is £500, do these two tick the boxes or does anyone have any other recommendations for under £500

https://ao.com/product/m1605yamb388w-asus-vivobook-16-laptop-silver-99291-251.aspx

https://ao.com/product/x1502zaej465w-asus-vivobook-15-laptop-silver-99290-251.aspx

Of those two, the first one is better.

But, if you're looking at beyond FM24, you should probably be considering a laptop with a dedicated graphics card as we don't know what FM25's system requirements will be yet, only that minimum spec will increase.

If you don't mind going refurbished, this is a good offer: https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/products/hp-gaming-laptop-victus-15-fb0020na-amd-ryzen-5-16gb-ram-256gb-ssd-amd-graphics-15-6-144hz-fhd-screen

13 hours ago, AbleAardvark said:

Hi do you have any recommendations for a laptop for around £500 but could stretch up to £1000 if it’s worth the price increase, would only really be using for FM but may do some uni work 

Because we don't have the system requirements for FM25, but we do know they're going to increase, we are generally recommending laptops currently with a dedicated graphics card.

This is the cheapest brand new one I can find at £550: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3349809?clickPR=plp:1:38

4 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Because we don't have the system requirements for FM25, but we do know they're going to increase, we are generally recommending laptops currently with a dedicated graphics card.

This is the cheapest brand new one I can find at £550: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3349809?clickPR=plp:1:38

would this also be okay for the occasional uni work and bits like that? 

4 hours ago, kevhamster said:

also is i5 going to be enough for it to run smoothly 

1 hour ago, AbleAardvark said:

would this also be okay for the occasional uni work and bits like that? 

1 hour ago, AbleAardvark said:

also is i5 going to be enough for it to run smoothly 

Yes on both counts.

On 09/02/2024 at 12:36, AlfyDoor said:

Working great so far. Never been able to play the game with graphics set at 'very high' before! Excellent all-round laptop too.

Many Thanks again for your help Kev :)

Regrettably this proved a false dawn. Started to shake and wheeze on match replays. The suppliers say

"Thank you for clarifying, I had a hunch that would be it! While the laptop you purchased does meet the minimum requirements for FM it does not meet the needs to watch matches. FM is deceptive in that you can play it on rather basic laptops as long as you only play it like a database/text format game. As soon as you want to watch matches you would require something with dedicated graphics. The reason the screen breaks/flickers is because it cannot handle this portion of the game."

How about this? It's a desktop. but that's ok. Description says it can run FM22! 

https://www.stonerefurb.co.uk/stone-core-gaming-pc

Cheers

Edited by AlfyDoor

1 hour ago, AlfyDoor said:

Regrettably this proved a false dawn. Started to shake and wheeze on match replays. The suppliers say

"Thank you for clarifying, I had a hunch that would be it! While the laptop you purchased does meet the minimum requirements for FM it does not meet the needs to watch matches. FM is deceptive in that you can play it on rather basic laptops as long as you only play it like a database/text format game. As soon as you want to watch matches you would require something with dedicated graphics. The reason the screen breaks/flickers is because it cannot handle this portion of the game."

How about this? It's a desktop. but that's ok. Description says it can run FM22! 

Cheers

I reckon the 1030 would be an improvement on 11th gen integrated graphics, but not by much. This is an entry level card released the best part of a decade ago. This is probably about as good as you'll get for this price but if you can save up a bit more you could hope for something a lot better

22 hours ago, AlfyDoor said:

Cheers

My suggestion for now would be to turn down the graphics preset.  I have a laptop with the same CPU and integrated graphics and when testing worked fine when set to medium.

4 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I'd be extremely surprised if it isn't good enough.

Thanks! Have a voucher for Currys so trying to find a laptop from there that I'd be fairly confident will run FM25 while not breaking the bank as much as possible

17 hours ago, kevhamster said:

My suggestion for now would be to turn down the graphics preset.  I have a laptop with the same CPU and integrated graphics and when testing worked fine when set to medium.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Unfortunately I've lost the will to push on with this. The laptop is being returned, and I'm going a step further back - to FM19, which works fine on my desktop!

Cheers

Ray

Looking to get a laptop with the sole purpose of playing FM and have no idea where to start really, budget is max £500 of course cheaper is better. As I said I’ll only be using it for FM and I play on 2D graphics anyway. Also not against a refurbished/used one. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I was having a look at these. https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/grade-a1-lenovo-v15-g3-amd-ryzen-7-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-15.6-inch-windows-1-a1-82tv0042uk/version.asp

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-hp-elitebook-840-g6-ultrabook-core-i7-8th-gen-16gb-512gb-14-inc-t1-840g6i716gb512gbw10p/version.asp

edit: also thought about the steam deck, can anyone share their experience with this? Are you able to connect it to a monitor to play on a bigger screen

Edited by marcs1869
Added link

13 hours ago, marcs1869 said:

Looking to get a laptop with the sole purpose of playing FM and have no idea where to start really, budget is max £500 of course cheaper is better. As I said I’ll only be using it for FM and I play on 2D graphics anyway. Also not against a refurbished/used one. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I was having a look at these. https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/grade-a1-lenovo-v15-g3-amd-ryzen-7-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-15.6-inch-windows-1-a1-82tv0042uk/version.asp

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-hp-elitebook-840-g6-ultrabook-core-i7-8th-gen-16gb-512gb-14-inc-t1-840g6i716gb512gbw10p/version.asp

edit: also thought about the steam deck, can anyone share their experience with this? Are you able to connect it to a monitor to play on a bigger screen

Of those two, definitely the first one by a long way.

I don't have any personal experience with the Steam Deck but I am aware that it can be connected to a monitor.

Hi,

I really don’t have much of a clue about laptops, so don’t even know where to start. I used to play fm19 and a few before that but my laptop at the time wasn’t up to it. Now I’m moving country and my PlayStation is not coming with me so I am looking for a laptop that’ll run fm24 and hopefully fm25 when it comes. 
I would like a decent amount of playable leagues, and will also like to watch 3D games at a high quality, and hopefully not have any worries about loading and game speed, which put me off the game before. My girlfriend will also use it occasionally (when she can get me off it), for YouTube and Netflix and other general usage. 

My price range would be ideally £500 but would go up to £700 if it was to ensure all this was possible. 

also because I am moving country, is it best i wait until I move to get the laptop, with plug adapters probably needed. Using adapters constantly won’t damage anything would it? Like I said. Clueless 🤣

Thanks

Edited by MarkoFuu

37 minutes ago, MarkoFuu said:

Hi,

I really don’t have much of a clue about laptops, so don’t even know where to start. I used to play fm19 and a few before that but my laptop at the time wasn’t up to it. Now I’m moving country and my PlayStation is not coming with me so I am looking for a laptop that’ll run fm24 and hopefully fm25 when it comes. 
I would like a decent amount of playable leagues, and will also like to watch 3D games at a high quality, and hopefully not have any worries about loading and game speed, which put me off the game before. My girlfriend will also use it occasionally (when she can get me off it), for YouTube and Netflix and other general usage. 

My price range would be ideally £500 but would go up to £700 if it was to ensure all this was possible. 

also because I am moving country, is it best i wait until I move to get the laptop, with plug adapters probably needed. Using adapters constantly won’t damage anything would it? Like I said. Clueless 🤣

Thanks

Something like this would do the job: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3349809?clickPR=plp:1:35

I'm not an electrical expert, but I see no reason why using an adaptor to allow a UK charger to be used wherever you're going.

17 hours ago, MarkoFuu said:

Hi,

....  also because I am moving country, is it best i wait until I move to get the laptop, with plug adapters probably needed. Using adapters constantly won’t damage anything would it? Like I said. Clueless 🤣

Thanks

Here's a link to Dell's comments on using laptops in different countries   to quote from there

"Different countries use power supplies at different voltages (usually 110 V or 220-240 V) and AC frequencies (usually 50 Hz or 60 Hz). Most Dell AC adapters can operate between 100 VAC to 240 VAC (Volts Alternating Current) and can operate effectively across different locations.

The label on the back of the AC adapter brick specifies the input voltage range of the adapter.

CAUTION: The AC adapter provided with your Dell laptop works with electrical outlets worldwide. However, the power cable might not be compatible with the power sockets available in another location. Using an incompatible power cable or improperly connecting the power cable to an electrical outlet may cause a fire hazard or damage the device.
NOTE: When traveling, check the type of power sockets that are used in the location you are traveling to. You can use universal travel adapters that help you connect the power cable to the power socket in multiple locations. Dell does not sell these, but you can buy these at many electrical retail stores or supermarkets. You can find more information about power sockets, plugs, and voltages in this Wikipedia Article - Mains electricity by location This hyperlink is taking you to a website outside of Dell Technologies.

Image of the label on a Dell AC adapter showing the voltage information

"

Hope this is useful

6 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Here's a link to Dell's comments on using laptops in different countries   to quote from there

"Different countries use power supplies at different voltages (usually 110 V or 220-240 V) and AC frequencies (usually 50 Hz or 60 Hz). Most Dell AC adapters can operate between 100 VAC to 240 VAC (Volts Alternating Current) and can operate effectively across different locations.

The label on the back of the AC adapter brick specifies the input voltage range of the adapter.

CAUTION: The AC adapter provided with your Dell laptop works with electrical outlets worldwide. However, the power cable might not be compatible with the power sockets available in another location. Using an incompatible power cable or improperly connecting the power cable to an electrical outlet may cause a fire hazard or damage the device.
NOTE: When traveling, check the type of power sockets that are used in the location you are traveling to. You can use universal travel adapters that help you connect the power cable to the power socket in multiple locations. Dell does not sell these, but you can buy these at many electrical retail stores or supermarkets. You can find more information about power sockets, plugs, and voltages in this Wikipedia Article - Mains electricity by location This hyperlink is taking you to a website outside of Dell Technologies.

Image of the label on a Dell AC adapter showing the voltage information

"

Hope this is useful

Thank you! I’ll get a look at this. 

Hi all,

I'm starting to think about considering to be in the market for a laptop that would also be used for FM going forward. Where I'm struggling is understanding what I might need. I'm running on a 10-yo PC I built at a time in my life when I was interested in hardware and such. Those days have long passed and I have no idea what the computing scene is like anymore. My current machine has:

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
  • 16 whole GB of RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card
  • Samsung SSD 860 PRO 256GB drive
  • A 1 GB WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 drive

So I'm sure just about anything now is faster than what I have. But I have no concept of what would be a "solid computer" these days. FM is the primary game I'd be playing on it, and beyond that it would get very little intensive use. I might play something like Civ on it, but no shooters or anything like that. I'm in the US. I don't really have a fixed budget, but, like, $1,500 / £1,200 isn't out of the realm of possibility. If I can get a great computer for less than that, fantastic.

Ideas? I'm open to specific recommendations, but really, I'm just trying to understand, what is a reasonable price point these days for a decent laptop??

10 hours ago, steve.battisti said:

Hi all,

I'm starting to think about considering to be in the market for a laptop that would also be used for FM going forward. Where I'm struggling is understanding what I might need. I'm running on a 10-yo PC I built at a time in my life when I was interested in hardware and such. Those days have long passed and I have no idea what the computing scene is like anymore. My current machine has:

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
  • 16 whole GB of RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card
  • Samsung SSD 860 PRO 256GB drive
  • A 1 GB WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 drive

So I'm sure just about anything now is faster than what I have. But I have no concept of what would be a "solid computer" these days. FM is the primary game I'd be playing on it, and beyond that it would get very little intensive use. I might play something like Civ on it, but no shooters or anything like that. I'm in the US. I don't really have a fixed budget, but, like, $1,500 / £1,200 isn't out of the realm of possibility. If I can get a great computer for less than that, fantastic.

Ideas? I'm open to specific recommendations, but really, I'm just trying to understand, what is a reasonable price point these days for a decent laptop??

Something like this would be ideal: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-predator-helios-neo-16-wuxga-165hz-ips-gaming-laptop-intel-i7-13700hx-geforce-rtx-4050-with-16gb-ddr5-512gb-ssd-steel-gray/6541304.p?skuId=6541304

2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Awesome, thank you!

Just curious, I noted that this has 16 GB of RAM. Is that still, like, a decent amount of RAM? I had thought that 10 years down the road machines would commonly have more memory than that?

49 minutes ago, steve.battisti said:

Awesome, thank you!

Just curious, I noted that this has 16 GB of RAM. Is that still, like, a decent amount of RAM? I had thought that 10 years down the road machines would commonly have more memory than that?

FM runs just fine with 16GB of RAM and this is currently a standard specification for most mid range and some higher range PCs. Going forward 32GB will probably become standard but given how long it took to go from 8 to 16 I would expect this to be some way in the future.

22 minutes ago, AbleAardvark said:

what graphics setting would it run smoothly on at a max? 

A 2050 ought to be able to run FM24 on high, but I would expect that not to be the case for FM25

5 minutes ago, Gangor said:

FM runs just fine with 16GB of RAM and this is currently a standard specification for most mid range and some higher range PCs. Going forward 32GB will probably become standard but given how long it took to go from 8 to 16 I would expect this to be some way in the future.

Thanks very much for your help!

Just curious, when it comes to "simming," is there a consensus on what has the biggest impact on simulation time - CPU vs memory vs disk speed, etc.? Main reason I ask is because I like to do games where I sim significantly into the future. That's really difficult with my current setup unless I only load like 3-5 leagues. (Last night I did a save with 14 leagues, left it to sim overnight, and only made it a year into the future.)

2 minutes ago, steve.battisti said:

Thanks very much for your help!

Just curious, when it comes to "simming," is there a consensus on what has the biggest impact on simulation time - CPU vs memory vs disk speed, etc.? Main reason I ask is because I like to do games where I sim significantly into the future. That's really difficult with my current setup unless I only load like 3-5 leagues. (Last night I did a save with 14 leagues, left it to sim overnight, and only made it a year into the future.)

Having enough memory is important, but 16GB is sufficient. Past that the biggest impact is the CPU. Disk speed doesn't matter except for when saving the game

2 hours ago, Gangor said:

Having enough memory is important, but 16GB is sufficient. Past that the biggest impact is the CPU. Disk speed doesn't matter except for when saving the game

Ok so 16gb and just a fast processor? I only play on text so graphic card isnt really important.

Just now, Tha Real behanger said:

Ok so 16gb and just a fast processor? I only play on text so graphic card isnt really important.

With the caveat that FM25 is going to be on a new engine which may well require a dedicated graphics card.

Hi all,

I currently play on a PC with 16GB of RAM and a RTX 3050. This gaming laptop looks similar but only has half of the RAM. Would this still be fine running around 5 countries and 10/12 leagues on a large database? Approx 45k players?

Thanks for any help!

The specs are:

ASUS TUF Gaming FX507ZC4 15.6" Full HD 144Hz Gaming Laptop (Intel i5-12500H, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050, 8GB RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, Windows 11)

9 minutes ago, RHKC said:

Hi all,

I currently play on a PC with 16GB of RAM and a RTX 3050. This gaming laptop looks similar but only has half of the RAM. Would this still be fine running around 5 countries and 10/12 leagues on a large database? Approx 45k players?

Thanks for any help!

The specs are:

ASUS TUF Gaming FX507ZC4 15.6" Full HD 144Hz Gaming Laptop (Intel i5-12500H, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050, 8GB RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, Windows 11)

That laptop will be fine to run the game and shouldn't have any issues with the setup you mentioned.

On 24/02/2024 at 16:44, Tha Real behanger said:

Yes ok. Hope my laptop can put it up till fm2025 comes out

It looks like my laptop is going to be dead soon.

I am also looking at the Asus TUF gaming, but then the:

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507XI-LP012W

It has 16gb ram, AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS with minimal 4ghz and a GeForce RTX 4070.

I know we dont know the fm2025 specs, but I think that would be ok? Dont you guys think?

3 hours ago, Tha Real behanger said:

It looks like my laptop is going to be dead soon.

I am also looking at the Asus TUF gaming, but then the:

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507XI-LP012W

It has 16gb ram, AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS with minimal 4ghz and a GeForce RTX 4070.

I know we dont know the fm2025 specs, but I think that would be ok? Dont you guys think?

That's a near top of the range laptop.  It'll be fine.

Would either of the following two laptops work for FM24?

Lenovo G560

Dell Latitude E5440

Not bothered about watching games maybe the odd replay, would like to run as many of the major leagues as possible. I know the two laptops are old but they are from a family member. I'm not a tech guy at all so any help would be welcome.

Thanks