[FM20] Iron Curtain - In hindsight everything is 2020 (Released)

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you!

I plan to finish Asia today and then it will be research tomorrow to see what the exact changes needed are for the remaining files.

Obviously I still need to test, but this is going nicely.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The good thing is while I haven't posted that much I have been busy in creating a few more files and I am at about 80% now. Two important files are left to be done, the World Cup file and the Under20 World Cup file. Those are the only files I need to finish. The rest is testing and fixing, testing and fixing, testing and fixing. I expect March will have about 300 hours of FM20 testing, if not more.

Things are going smoothly. I have finished Czechoslovakia, the USSR, East Germany, Yugoslavia and West Germany this week.

The file for the European Nation competitions is finished as well. Hopefully the Oceania Nation competitions will be finished as well tonight.

We are almost at 90% in the meantime. I finished the European Cups, South American Nation Competions and I am actually ahead of my own schedule for this months.

However, still a few important files to go and I had a setback with the file for Africa, which was probably too complicated for the game.

Some more late night testing tonight and hopefully that means another file finished.

Having looked through your list I dug out an old subbuteo team from around 1980. On the back of the box is the World Cup qualifying groups for the World Cup in Spain in 1982. There's some nations on there that have changed names or don't exist anymore. Pretty confident I won't be seeing Macao in your file @Wolf_pd 🤓. So looking forward to the final product. 👍👍

IMG_20210303_222339.jpg

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer

I propose this as the official soundtrack for the database... 

Proudly supported by Zimbabwean #1 soccer fan, his excellency Canaan Banana directly from Gwanzura Stadium:

I'd also like to see Dynamos and Tornados in the game ;)

btw, the match really happend in the early 80s between Salisbury Tornados and Dynamos. All the players, result and score changes are/were real. Moses Chunga became a coach afterwards :D

Edited by MBarbaric

17 hours ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Having looked through your list I dug out an old subbuteo team from around 1980. On the back of the box is the World Cup qualifying groups for the World Cup in Spain in 1982. There's some nations on there that have changed names or don't exist anymore. Pretty confident I won't be seeing Macao in your file @Wolf_pd 🤓. So looking forward to the final product. 👍👍

Macao is not in the file, Macau IS in the file ;) Not everywhere btw, as they aren't part of the IOC.

16 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

I propose this as the official soundtrack for the database... 

Proudly supported by Zimbabwean #1 soccer fan, his excellency Canaan Banana directly from Gwanzura Stadium:

I'd also like to see Dynamos and Tornados in the game ;)

btw, the match really happend in the early 80s between Salisbury Tornados and Dynamos. All the players, result and score changes are/were real. Moses Chunga became a coach afterwards :D

Dynamoes is still active in the game. Salisbury Tornadoes is not active anymore. Also Salisbury was changed name to Harare in 1982, so sorry, no Salisbury

And yes, I checked this :D

1 ora fa, Wolf_pd ha scritto:

Dynamoes is still active in the game. Salisbury Tornadoes is not active anymore. Also Salisbury was changed name to Harare in 1982, so sorry, no Salisbury

And yes, I checked this :D

love your attention to detail!

This will be for FM20. The plan was to have it finished in June 2020, but it got derailed by Covid-19.

At this moment I am focused on finishing it for FM20, before taking a look at any conversion to a later version.

37 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

This will be for FM20. The plan was to have it finished in June 2020, but it got derailed by Covid-19.

At this moment I am focused on finishing it for FM20, before taking a look at any conversion to a later version.

Oh thanks! I appreciate all your hard work mate. But I'll keep an eye out then if/when you decide to do fm21 conversion

22 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

I get the feeling that converting will take a lot less time now that the skeleton is built.

6 hours ago, Reiver said:

I get the feeling that converting will take a lot less time now that the skeleton is built.

It depends a bit. Competitionwise yes. There is a lot to copy, a lot of knowledge gained. Some of the datanumbering changed between 20 and 21 though and that could spell trouble.

But first, finish this one anyway.

Nope, not ready at the end of the month. Got some setback, mainly physical.

But at least I have now five files left to get done, from a total of 57 and I am working on one file that is essentially done, but can use some upgrade (the people file).

After that I still need to test and I am redecorating the house in April (sorry, no other option ;) )

On 16/03/2021 at 12:45, Reiver said:

If you need any help, be it with files or with testing, I don't mind stepping in.

Not at this point yet, since a few important files need to be finished, but it would be good to test it on a different system than mine. Will be in touch.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bit of a physical downperiod, so I am not working on competitions at the moment. Working out those kinks is an energyburner,

But I am working on player movement. A big test today and the results in the former EC1 is promising. Who would expect to see this in the Champions League?

image.thumb.png.9176835d5c0617e3da69dfd656fbab39.png

2 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

I have a bit of a physical downperiod, so I am not working on competitions at the moment. Working out those kinks is an energyburner,

But I am working on player movement. A big test today and the results in the former EC1 is promising. Who would expect to see this in the Champions League?

image.thumb.png.9176835d5c0617e3da69dfd656fbab39.png

Wow! Dynamo Kyiv made it to the Final :) But seriously shows how boring the current Champions Leay has gotten. I missed the good old days.

And what about Swiss outfit FC Basel?

I still have to do some work on Portugal, so Benfica might end up a bit weaker and I am currently running a long long test, which means I can check out the long run results of my changes to tonight. Hopefully they have resulted in less influence of the big money.

In that case UEFA is allowed to hire me for a nice sum :D

Some extra testing determines the big money teams return to the forefront after a few seasons, so I need to cut into revenues as well. But at least the concept works.

The UEFA Cup is back to home and away.

The allocation in general goes well, with stadiums like Wembley, Hampden, Nou Camp, etc, but for a few countries the stadium I expect isn't picked, so in Romania the Euro Cup final is played in a 30K stadium. I think I might have missed something datawise maybe.

7 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

The UEFA Cup is back to home and away.

The allocation in general goes well, with stadiums like Wembley, Hampden, Nou Camp, etc, but for a few countries the stadium I expect isn't picked, so in Romania the Euro Cup final is played in a 30K stadium. I think I might have missed something datawise maybe.

I know @Carlitos86had trouble with low capacity stadia being chosen on his euro files. I recall seeing finals being played with capacity under 10k!

Looking forward to this. I'm glad you're still working on it and not given up 👍

Some data things where I am looking at are affiliations.

'In country' affiliations aren't that bad, but I am not a fan of the feeder affiliations that teams like PSG and Manchester City have.

The only thing is, I am not sure I can block teams from creating certain affiliations and allowing others.

I have been looking at the development of this for a long time and if you're looking for testers I'd be very interested in lending a hand. The USSR editor file for FM15 was one of my favorites so I'm really excited for this one.

Hi Wolf (and others if they can help). I have downloaded your foreign player rules just to keep me sweet until your completed mod is released - cannot fricking wait as I loved MBarbaric's old Iron Curtain mod. Quick question though - I'm fairly old hat when it comes to editing files and creating advanced rules and have been playing the game since the 90's but if I try and change your foreign player rules from 3 foreign players allowed to 1 the editor forces me to run a test to validate the database before allowing me to save it. I used to know how to do this but haven't really tinkered much with FM20 (I only bought it when I saw this mod thread) so could could you give me some advice in terms of how to run those tests in order for me to save the database. FYI - Amazing effort on this I know from my own experience how utterly boring and frustrating it can be running save after save over night and tinkering with the data to get it just right so THANK YOU for all your efforts and I can only hope you are finally feeling better after being laid low by sodding covid. All the best and thanks in advance for any help you can provide. All the best Comrade.

Edited by Jekermesh

The Africa file is done, which leaves me with the World Cup, U20 World Cup and Olympic Games.

Since I am close to working out the last bump in the World Cup qualifiers (again in Africa strangely enough), I will first pick up the U20 World Cup since i have done nothing with that file yet.

Olympic Games file is a whole other beast, but probably will only need me to correct the various dates for scheduling and competition starts.

Anyway, studying on the whole U20 WC setup and surrounding comps starts tonight!

1 hour ago, Wolf_pd said:

The Africa file is done, which leaves me with the World Cup, U20 World Cup and Olympic Games.

Since I am close to working out the last bump in the World Cup qualifiers (again in Africa strangely enough), I will first pick up the U20 World Cup since i have done nothing with that file yet.

Olympic Games file is a whole other beast, but probably will only need me to correct the various dates for scheduling and competition starts.

Anyway, studying on the whole U20 WC setup and surrounding comps starts tonight!

I feel you are getting closer to a full release!:-)

There are some tough issues to solve, but I think I have found out most of the usable fixes in the meantime.

Let's put it like this, after this project I can teach the subject Advanced Rules ;)

Don't you hate it when you are progressing nicely with a file and you suddenly notice you made a thinking error?

The issue:

As with most other competition I exclude the U20 World Cup Host from the respective continental championship. This is valid for some tournaments btw, the Concacaf Championship did this for instance in 1986. But for the U20 World Cup World Youth Championship (the proper name at the time), that isn't true. So now I have to work out, how I can put an ignore on the WYC while keeping it in the continental championships.

:seagull:

Other than that, things are progressing nicely with this file.

In other news, I will post something about testing later this weekend. Might be Monday or Tuesday depending on progress this weekend.

But I will need some beta testers and want to make it a bit into a contest ;)