[FM20] Iron Curtain - In hindsight everything is 2020 (Released)

Big progress! I have the World Youth Tournament file ready for test and based on a fix that I worked out for the African U20 championship, I managed to fix an issue I had in the African World Cup qualifiers as well.

The World Youth Tournament file will go into test tomorrow and I am expecting some issues to fix. If I spend some time tonight to work out the Oceania World Cup qualifiers and the North American World Cup qualifiers, I should be able to test that one tomorrow as well.

And then it is the Olympic task of fixing the Olympic Games file, where I have a feeling it is another date issue.

Well spend weekend this :)

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

I hope at this moment you're spending some time to

can't

wait

for 

this

!!!

They are already finished. Only reason why I haven't fired up the test yet is because my computer sometimes makes some noise and I am about to start a few videocalls.

Work is in the way :(

3 ore fa, Wolf_pd ha scritto:

They are already finished. Only reason why I haven't fired up the test yet is because my computer sometimes makes some noise and I am about to start a few videocalls.

Work is in the way :(

The party says your pc is fine till there is smoke! Keep on working!

Tonight no test, I thought about a possible solution for the Olympics, so I want to check that out first. If it works. it could save me two weeks potentially, especially as most work is done in the weekend and the simpler stuff throughout the week.

Also, tomorrow the beta test 'regulations' will be posted :D

On 18/04/2021 at 00:47, MBarbaric said:

i am currently beta testing my 2016 file for 1564th hour (still waiting for an error), I reckon it is safe to say it is working so I could make a switch to an updated version :D

I have about 1850 hours in FM20 at the moment. Expecting that at least 1200 of those are Iron Curtain testing hours.

Hello guys, I'm new here and glad to discover your work.

This is a very sad day for football fans. I've been dreaming of playing FM without Bosman rules, and back to old competitions formats all day... and I've been looking for an update like yours. This is genius! I find it amazing to be able to play old school football management, I cannot believe it.

I probably missed something, but it seems that the file you created is not available. How can I download it? How can I make it work?

Big cheers, looking forward to read your answer.

EDIT: I actually managed to download the files but don't know where to put them

Edited by Ninozed

Like so many others, this week might be the week that kills my interest in watching modern football for good, and made me think of this patch, and dreams of watching a real golden era with loyalty, competition & fan culture. Such exciting news for the patch, I can't wait 👍

10 hours ago, Ninozed said:

Hello guys, I'm new here and glad to discover your work.

This is a very sad day for football fans. I've been dreaming of playing FM without Bosman rules, and back to old competitions formats all day... and I've been looking for an update like yours. This is genius! I find it amazing to be able to play old school football management, I cannot believe it.

I probably missed something, but it seems that the file you created is not available. How can I download it? How can I make it work?

Big cheers, looking forward to read your answer.

EDIT: I actually managed to download the files but don't know where to put them

The mod is still work in progress. The download in the first post is just the foreign player rules, but there is much more coming. This is worldbuilding.

The files go here:

C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2020\editor data

They are in default database only, so make sure to select the correct database when playing!

OK, since I said I need beta testers. For those who are interested, please send me in a PM:

Subject: Iron Curtain Beta

• The team you will play in Iron Curtain
  • Why that specific team
  • And what attention point you would want me to look at to make the Iron Curtain even better

I can't promise I will pick up every attention point, but maybe I can surprise you and already say, yes, I checked that.

Also, I have no idea how much respons I will get, but know that I will answer each PM (famous last words here :D ). I hope you understand there is a chance that you are not picked as a beta tester as having too much testers will probably make me go crazy ;)

And now I need to check with the board admins how much PMs my mailbox can hold! :lol:

This weekend is about getting the Olympics to work and ironing out some of the stuff I noticed in the U20 World Cup and the World Cup. If I can't get it finished this weekend, I have another free day on the 27th which is Dutch Kingsday.

I have a timeline in my head which is still workable and every day before that will mean you don't have to wait too long :D 

For those that will receive the beta, it will not contain graphics and will also need financial balancing. But I am genuinely happy that I am almost at the point that I can actually SEND out the beta files.

Can’t wait for this, just installed FM20 on new laptop pretty much solely for this. As he kid who grew up watching football in the late 80’s I so miss that era, wether it was East v West or the teams from behind the Iron Curtain and their links to the state. Plus with everything that has just gone on with European football this week life was much better when anyone could beat anyone else and it was not all about the cash

Really I can bring to the table what you're hoping for. I have some updates in mind after release btw. The Eastern competiions are begging for an expansion pas the two top levels. And added to that, I have really thought a few interesting tricks that will add to the experience.

It seems the editor can do pretty much everything you want, the only issue is, you need to find it out yourself :D

And for those interested, after my first release, I will probably spend time on creating tutorials on this stuff. I am pretty sure I am not the best editor around. Others are better and/or quicker, but I have dogged determination. Even a pandemic doesn't get me down ;)

Other than I mentioned in PM, another fascinating long term challenge would be 17 Nëntori (Tirana), the "people's club" against the state backed Dinamo, Partizani, Flamurtari etc. The anticipation just builds with each day now that it's so close to completion, it's a long time since I've been this eager for a release!

Seems like excellent work! Would love to give it a go when it's done. Could also help you with testing in June if that's still around, as I'm rather occupied over the next month.

I got in the mood a couple of days ago to pull off something rather similar, but I failed at Advanced Editor class when it comes to the continental competitions so initially I'm just trying to stick to 55 UEFA nations. [I'm pretty much splitting up the top leagues into 3-5 pieces each and merging some other countries]. This is something I try almost every year but I'm usually stuck at just enjoying the new national teams and then it just doesn't really work the way I intended it to :D 

Would appreciate if I could annoy you via pm for some tips on how to pull off some changes with the Champions League, creating new competitions and also the Euro and World Cup :)  

Feel free to PM me, but just know that during the week my answers come slow because of work. Going online to see if the Forum is not on fire, is easier than thinking out how to explain certain things ;) So in some cases it can be quicker to post your question in the advanced rules section, that is also what I usually advice people

With regards to splitting and merging nations, the one tip I would give you is start with existing nations and don't move teams to extinct nations. I have revived East Germany and it turned out I had to copy each East German teams as the game couldn't find them otherwise.

Also, as with almost everybody who asks me about continental cups, always take a look at the UEFA revival files from Carlito. He has so many different versions that you can learn a lot from looking at the version that contains your idea for the continental cups. While I think my international competiition are more complex and have more interesting 'trickery' :D I am pretty sure his continental competitions are more complex and complete than mine.

Just know that when you have seen weird in the editor, things can get weirder and serious WTF.

Right now the final three files are in test, the World Cup, World Youth Championship and the Olympics.

• The World Cup refuses to play in Africa as Morocco as ignored and the competition was moved to Uruguay. Since Morocco is in the competition, I need to check what happened there exactly. I have seen host picking go wrong before. But Morocco is set as host, so should be picked.
  • The World Youth Championship is still played with a mix of U19, U20 and Senior teams. I think I need to check the qualification there. The non-U19 and U20 teams might have a qualification issue. I have seen this issue before and I think it was the qualification back then as well
  • And then the Olympics. They now have a new schedule, being played each 8 year. Yeah.... Whatever :D

Whatever you can think and whatever you think you have worked out, the editor and game will tell you, hold my beer.

:seagull:

Anyway, we still have Sunday to fix things :)

I haven't ventured into the editor in the last years, due to lack of time, but when (and before!) the advanced editor was first released, I remember spending hours in the editor, and sometimes things just didn't make sense - like having a San Marino file not working, scrapping it, making another one that was exactly the same as the previous one, and the new one working fine.

2 hours ago, Reiver said:

I haven't ventured into the editor in the last years, due to lack of time, but when (and before!) the advanced editor was first released, I remember spending hours in the editor, and sometimes things just didn't make sense - like having a San Marino file not working, scrapping it, making another one that was exactly the same as the previous one, and the new one working fine.

Lol, in the last couple of versions there's an issue with Spain and Portugal, sometimes Italy, too. 

You test the default rules and it gives out errors. I once just tested rules 4 times in a row without doing anything, got 3 errors and then the 4th time it was all good :D 

@Wolf_pdI haven't seen much traction in the advanced rules section, which is why I felt the need to request some sort of tutoring on this one :p 

FM21 is a headache file. In FM20 I have fixed all rules in 20.1, so I know a few of issues in there. I think the FM21 status is also the reason the Advanced Rules is a bit quieter than normal.

Portugal is a teamcount in one of the Azores (?) U19 group. 

Struggling with the Olympics at the moment, it is a date issue, but I have already fixed one and now working out the second. Might be that I have to send out the files with some known bugs in it.

Michael Myers already made a set. It is just that the game itself has priority in the beta and I need to do some renaming in the graphics files to link team IDs correctly.

I will check how much logos I have for East Germany, pretty sure the set will not cover all teams in the database though. The well known teams are covered of course.

5 hours ago, Reiver said:

97e4c1d5bd22d919fb0a9a0333a83e26.png

You can see all the obvious ones but I've already started getting the obscure ones too (some might not even be in the database).

Need me to send a few screenshots with all teams (wish we could export....)?

32 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

Need me to send a few screenshots with all teams (wish we could export....)?

I'd love that 

(and when the file is done I might edit the east germany file to add more teams for my own enjoyment)

Edited by Reiver

1 hour ago, Reiver said:

I'd love that 

(and when the file is done I might edit the east germany file to add more teams for my own enjoyment)

Will do that tonight.

I plan to expand East Germany, but depending on my speed and priority, you might want to do it yourself. Can't promise anything after the release, as I am redecorating the house as well.

Some feedback on the World Cup. The 2034 World keeps being hosted by Uruguay. Did someone say hardcoded....? I have a fix for it, which involves moving some hosts around and then it should be good. The World Cup itself runs without issues, with all finals taking place at the expected dates and not a single delay!

The European, South American and Oceanian qualifiers are done.

The North American qualifiers needs proper fixture dates, because I found out the World Cup host is added to the qualifier as well. When that is fixed, North America is done (easy fix btw).

Asia and Africa have issues in the sense that some of the losing teams from the first round are added to the second round as lucky losers. They don't replace any other team btw, so no issue there. I need to check if any team is left out, but if that isn't the case, the beta will contain the lucky losers as a known issue.

Apart from Asia and Africa I am quite happy. This should be doable to fix and finish tomorrow.