[FM20] Iron Curtain - In hindsight everything is 2020 (Released)

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, josuts said:

Hello there! Hope you are feeling better with your health issues.Just wanted to ask about the release date of the Iron Curtain! Looking forward to play it:-)

No release date as of yet.

There is some progress, but I am in a rehabilitation process and it takes time and energy.

1 hour ago, MBarbaric said:

hey wolf, this might be of interest to you.

the title doesn't explain much, but it could be a resource for fase 2 and doublecheck on club names and logos.

Yup, valid point. I have taken it as being valid, but when working on the FM16 database I noticed quite a lot of descrepancies and plain errors.

1 hour ago, Wolf_pd said:

No release date as of yet.

There is some progress, but I am in a rehabilitation process and it takes time and energy.

ok.Understood.Stay strong dear friend.My thoughts and prayers on you!

To give you an idea where we stand at the moment, I am working on moving back players. That's the biggest job. After that, it is testing and balancing and working out those little niggles.

At this moment doing 50 players a day, next to work, rehabilitation and the necessary stuff at home, it is a challenge.

On the subject of niggles, some things I noticed while reviewing the various saves

• I am not happy with the generated names for the Russian players (Yugoslav and Czechoslovak look much better)
  • I worked out the issue with Eastern German teams generating West German players (turned out to be simply that the game sees the East German cities still in West Germany in the West German file)
  • A few international championships are not played when the game starts with specific national championships

Anyway, planningswise I have a three month recovery process planned (will start week 3 tomorrow) with exercises done each day, 3 big sessions in the week and each day 1 smaller session. But the physio and doctor have admitted that I could very well be recovering untill the end of the year.

That doesn't mean I will wait for FM21. I will continue working and then decide when it is ready whether it is easier to plug into FM20 or FM21.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wolf_pd, is there any way I can help out to turn this fabulous dream into a reality? I personally am very eager to get involved in the DDR-Oberliga with either FC MAgdeburg, FC Karl-Marx-Stadt or Lokomotive Leipzig.

The way I have set things up, that isn't possible.

The FM datamodel and how the editor works has made that decision, not me being stubborn and choosing to do so.

There is a reason why people fail doing these kind of projects.

On 09/08/2020 at 18:28, perfect79 said:

Hi Wolf, hope the recovery is going in the right direction - if you want or need any help moving players back to clubs give me a shout and would be happy to lend you a hand.

The moving is going better and better (yes, that means faster ;) ).

Testing the international competition is a bit of a pain atm, a lot of work to check and finalize, but that's not depending on moving the players.

I got some questions about the FM21 versio of the Iron Curtain, as 'since you're a mod, you're supposed that kind of stuff'.
Sorry guys, but I don't know more about FM21 than what Miles Jacobson has said earlier about FM21.

There will one, slightly later than usual, because of the still changing rules for each competition. Those changed competitions are going to make life hard btw, so hopefully I can move my files over easily.

Also, players are progressing nicely now and I received (very much appreciated) help with testing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Moving players has been finished, so now it is testing, checking competitions and repeat into infinity.

I have some ideas for balancing teams, but not entirely sure if it is the best solution and if FM accepts it the way I have it in mind.

1 hour ago, Wolf_pd said:

Moving players has been finished, so now it is testing, checking competitions and repeat into infinity.

I have some ideas for balancing teams, but not entirely sure if it is the best solution and if FM accepts it the way I have it in mind.

How did you move the players back? can you give me a guide if its not trouble for you?

I set up a list of rules, so I can refer to it every time I move a player.

In short, a moved player is always moved back to his country, so not back to his previous club. The club he is moved to is either a club in the country of his nationality or second nationality. In case his player history doesn't show a previous team, a team is picked from the nation based on his PA.

Then to the actual moving, for his contract I note the date of him moving to the country, moving to the club and last signed contract. These get reset after moving the player and after moving I will set these back to the noted dates.
Preferred and assigned jersey number get reset, weekly wage is set to 0 and all other contract things like bonuses are removed.
That seems overdoing it, but in a previous test I managed to get a few clubs in the red, because of not removing huge bonuses.

As said, this is the short version. There are several more details. But for a next project this is the way I would probably go.

3 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

In short, a moved player is always moved back to his country, so not back to his previous club. The club he is moved to is either a club in the country of his nationality or second nationality. In case his player history doesn't show a previous team, a team is picked from the nation based on his PA.

Then to the actual moving, for his contract I note the date of him moving to the country, moving to the club and last signed contract. These get reset after moving the player and after moving I will set these back to the noted dates.
Preferred and assigned jersey number get reset, weekly wage is set to 0 and all other contract things like bonuses are removed.
That seems overdoing it, but in a previous test I managed to get a few clubs in the red, because of not removing huge bonuses.

As said, this is the short version. There are several more details. But for a next project this is the way I would probably go.

Sounds you do a very detail work! So about the rules,which one you add so the players can go back?

7 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

In short, a moved player is always moved back to his country, so not necessarily back to his previous club. The club he is moved to is either a club in the country of his nationality or second nationality. In case his player history doesn't show a previous team from his nations, a team is picked from the nation based on his PA.

A small fix to this.

3 hours ago, josuts said:

Sounds you do a very detail work! So about the rules,which one you add so the players can go back?

I am not sure I understand your question completely?

There is no rule in the game. Just a bunch of rules I wrote down:

For instance

For Yugoslavia: players return to their nation of birth and specifically for players over PA 120, they return to one of the First Division Level teams of their nation of Birth

Same for the Soviet Union

That kind of stuff.

11 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

There is no rule in the game. Just a bunch of rules I wrote down:

For instance

For Yugoslavia: players return to their nation of birth and specifically for players over PA 120, they return to one of the First Division Level teams of their nation of Birth

Same for the Soviet Union

That kind of stuff.

ok Wolf.Would be wonderful if you could make a guide of how to do that.So I can try to implement it in my own database:-)

• 4 weeks later...

I hadn't really noticed this project before and since I wasn't playing FM20 it wouldn't have mattered. Now that I got it via Epic I was checking for content and saw it. I downloaded the foreigners rules and I can tell you that being the Chelsea manager is a bit of a challenge... 

16 hours ago, Fredrik said:

Some feedback.

It doesn't look like Holland and Portugal work with 20,4. I don't have any other mod, only yours. 

Is it really right that Bundesliga-teams could use unlimited foreigners?

You are looking at an unfinished mod with a few files not being released yet. So to answer your questions,

• The mod works on version 20.1
  • The Bundesliga file has not been released yet

I am testing all files (there are 48) for the international competitions. That takes a lot of time.

Also, Corona was a damper on the building and testing speed ;)

On 27/08/2020 at 11:07, Michael_Myers said:

Hey @Wolf_pd hope you're well pal. Because of i'm in quarantine (i'm negative so far to covid) , can you send me the file to check the IDs for the Eastern Bloc Countries' logos and to create any missed logos?

Totally missed this one. Will get you some files.

Sorry to hear about the quarantaine. Hope everything ended well.

3 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

You are looking at an unfinished mod with a few files not being released yet. So to answer your questions,

• The mod works on version 20.1
  • The Bundesliga file has not been released yet

I am testing all files (there are 48) for the international competitions. That takes a lot of time.

Also, Corona was a damper on the building and testing speed ;)

No worries mate. I was just pointing out what I saw in case you had missed something. It looks like it was I that missed something. 

Seeding works quite well except for a few competition which have some extra complexities.

After some thought decided to upgrade to 20.4 and hoping to test that tonight (while I am asleep :D )

Edit: needs some more work since the first game started crashed rightaway :(

• 3 weeks later...

Stadium names for East Germany have been changed back. Other stadiums some edits, but not much.

Right now fighting with the international club competition rules and hoping to run a final version soon, while international competition are converted to advanced to make them shine.

I have noticed I have done some things differently than I should/could have done, so I am cutting up the international competitions. Converting them in one batch gives too much trouble,

I have to add. With FM21 coming, me feeling more comfortable both in editing and in physical form, I am considering doing a FM21 version as well.

Obviously that's depending on the FM21 editor of course, but..... and this is very important, because I then would be able to build the competitions while having both the FM20 and FM21 editor open the competition building could go SOOOO much quicker!

I am a bit torn, whether to prepare for FM21 or finish this in FM20

It will get finished. Just don't know when.

But I am doing a lot of research this weekend for edits and enjoying myself with that.

And having fun means there will be progress.

At this moment I am also locking off China from the rest of the world as it turned out that players that weren't paid in Europe ended up in China, which is not a 1988 scenario.

5 ore fa, Wolf_pd ha scritto:

It will get finished. Just don't know when.

But I am doing a lot of research this weekend for edits and enjoying myself with that.

And having fun means there will be progress.

At this moment I am also locking off China from the rest of the world as it turned out that players that weren't paid in Europe ended up in China, which is not a 1988 scenario.

this is going to be the best db release ever done for FM. really glad I can wait for it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recovery modus at the moment still. Good days and bad days. Have been making some changes in the international competitions where I spotted issues. Worked out some things with regards to stadiums and competitions to the World Cup won't be 4 months long when being played in a country just one decent stadium in the database. That is being copied over to the other competitions. But progress is slow.

Transisition to FM21 at this moment is in the fridge untill I manage to see the end of the tunnel for FM20.

From 17th of december untill End of the year I am off work. I hope to get some work done in that period and January as well.

26 minuti fa, Wolf_pd ha scritto:

Recovery modus at the moment still. Good days and bad days. Have been making some changes in the international competitions where I spotted issues. Worked out some things with regards to stadiums and competitions to the World Cup won't be 4 months long when being played in a country just one decent stadium in the database. That is being copied over to the other competitions. But progress is slow.

Transisition to FM21 at this moment is in the fridge untill I manage to see the end of the tunnel for FM20.

From 17th of december untill End of the year I am off work. I hope to get some work done in that period and January as well.

sorry to hear that you are still suffering that beast. there will be plenty of time for football and football games. take care!

Following this thread as well.  I'm happy that I decided to take a peek at the FM20 forums to see if there was anything interesting going on.  This sounds like a beast, but will make you a legend when it is done!  Especially considering the limitations of the pre game editor.

Best luck with the recovery process!

• 2 weeks later...

Man, the editor is really messing with me.

So...., I split up the international competition to make them easier to handle and edit. Afterall, testing a file with 50+ competitions in advanced rules is pretty difficult.

So I started with the European Championship, converted it to advanced, started working on setting the hosts and testing. During the test suddenly errors pop up for various competitions that are NOT in this file, but were part of the larger file I had :confused:

So, instead of that, I quickly rebuild the file from scratch (having the file open in FM21 helps ;) ) and again converted to advanced rules. Again testing some changes and although LESS errors were shown (so there appears to be something lingering from the old file) STILL in a SCRATCH made file errors pop up that really look there is something in it that is from a different file. Not. Possible. At. All!!!

It keeps referring to the Asian Nations Cup Qualifying, but I am only editing in Europe!!!

Deleting the Asian Nations Cup Qualifying will make the file verify, so after deleting the Asian Nations Cup qualifying, verifying the file and UNdeleting the Asian Nations Cup qualifying I have my file ready.

How to fool the editor :D

Anyway, if this thing works what I have worked out, there are a few more steps to take, but if that all works according to plan, hosting and setting stadiums should be done for European competitions. And while setting up something new take huge effort these days (let's hope the vaccine fixes Corona Brain Fog as well), I am pretty good at copy pasting stuff :D

Current status, after some soulsearching and fix searching.

• Oceania International Nation Competitions are done and ready for testing.
  • South Ameria Internation Nation Competitions are halfway done
  • European International Nation Competitions were done, but I found out that during a rebuild I left part of a championship out, so I need to rebuild some parts here.

The positive thing is that doing the hosts and stadiums is rinse and repeat. It only gets difficult if the competitions are slightly different from the norm.

Since tomorrow Bella comes knocking (stuff down) over here, I will probably finish South America tomorrow and I hope to have Europe redone as well.

Asia and Africa both have a wrinkle that I need to work out (both a host and last winner that qualify directly). If I work out that wrinkle, I can use it to work in the World Cup, Olympics and various other competitions.

All in all a very productive week untill now. Happy to be editing again :)

13 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Current status, after some soulsearching and fix searching.

• South Ameria Internation Nation Competitions are halfway done

South America is done. Took just two hours to finish. Time for Europe. 

Tomorrow will be my last day at the rehab facility as I am going to say goodbye and thanks to them. From there it is working out at home.

I finished Europe yesterday and started working on Africa.

First the standard competitions will be done. Strangely the competitions verify on occasion and on some occassion they don't. This is mainly because of the African Cup of Nations having both the host and the last winner qualifying automatically. I hope (emphasis on hope) when I manage to get the first qualifier round set these errors go away.

The African competitions turns out to be a bit more fickle than hoped, BUT I think I have pinned them down and am beating them into submission now ;) (I don't support violence, during or outside editing).

Africa should be finished today, even leaving me time to quietly enjoy the end of this tough year.

The remaining files for the first weeks of January are then:

• Asia
  • Olympics
  • World Cup
  • U20 World Cup
  • Other World Competitions

But more importantly, I am having fun :)