FM17 - French Football Thread

Jogo Bonito

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cLktQ2m.png

wlyqqjc.jpg

After starting a save with PSG I realised quickly it was not the same as it was in years gone by so I restarted back in France and have landed in a club who are approaching things the way I hoped PSG would. This is a club bursting with potential and they are not afraid to throw them in if they're good enough, that's what I was looking for. Don't get me wrong, they still have a strong financial backing but it's not anywhere near the Parisian's. The club first came to my attention when a player from one of my cities biggest rival and fellow countryman joined them, John Collins. Much like when Paul Lambert moved to Dortmund I kept a close eye on the happenings at this team and I grew up watching this club dominate at times, with a great mix of experienced campaigners like N'Doram, Barthez, Djorkaeff, Petit, Sonny Anderson, Weah and exciting youngsters like Thierry Henry, Lillian Thuram, Gallardo and of course a personal favorite of my at all his clubs David Trezeguet.

Jogo gave them a great run down, one I won't bore you by repeating. I will however outline my sort of mantra for starting this save.

Honouring youth. I want to give back to France by halting the massive influx of journeymen foreigners, now don't mistake this for domestic bias, in this save I will and already have make signing from abroad but they'll stick to a similar formula, one which if you look at the history of the club is engrained in its foundations. I want us to develop both the best in domestic talent aswell as become a factory for nurturing the top promising young players from around the globe, specifically focusing on South America, Africa and of course France. Ive already went outwith this when moving for players but as I said if you look at Monaco's history they've been open to players from all over.

I have spent a lot which I know seems to go against why I binned my PSG save and started this one but if you look I've maybe only got a net spend of around £18m which while still high isn't ridiculous compared to what Ive just witness PSG spending.

Transfers out:
After reviewing the squad and setting up a couple of tactical systems I'm going to start out with I realised the centre of the midfield had no place for our most valuable player. While he's extremely talented I just couldn't justify changing my whole set up to protect him, being nearly 30 and on quite a significant wage I decided Joao Moutinho would be thr sacrificial lamb to fund a bit of a strengthening. Liverpool came in with a decent opening bid of around £26m but after some negotiating I accepted their £32m deal. A good fee for someone as I mentioned couldn't give me what I need in the middle of the park. Not sure if this is a mistake of not, depending how he does for others on thier saves?

Guido Carrillo could have stuck around if I wasn't overly keen on someone else. He gives a different option but after securing my number one target I didn't want to cause any squad unrest with a player not getting enough game time. He moves to Gladbach for around £5m.

Next on the way out is another player I couldn't find a place for due to Incomings players who would fill his position. Nabil Dirar heads to La Liga to join Espanol for about £4.8m.

Transfer In:

This is where things get a little crazy for some I think, now thr vast majority of these are youngster who are either spending time in our youth squad or going out on loan, them aside it's still a big summer of investment, perhaps not to everyone's tastes but I like to get set up early for the forthcoming seasons.

1st Team Signings

Frank Kessie
My biggest expenditure by far but someone I want to build a future around, that being said with how he looks and my scouts report I don't reckon I'll be able to keep him away from Europe's elite in the long run. He's almost a complete midfielder, ideal for box to box but I may mould him to another role. Delighted to bring in one of Europe hottest prospects.

Hirving Lozano
This was a transfer I made by force, I had my eye on Hirving but he was originally a long term target until I noticed PSG's interest in him so I decided to step up our pursuit. A large fee, but one I'm sure one be too long in being recouped 10 fold. He's looked great in preseason with his direct running and quality delivery into the box, he gets into some good goalscoring positions but fluffs the shots so I may ask him to learn to place his shots, see if that helps.

Khuouma Babacar
Was my main target, I like Falcao bur with his age and fitness concerns I wanted a big Drogba like front man to lead our line. Hes a great age and according to his report has bags of potential to become a leading Ligue 1 striker.

Cheikh N'Doye
The big man from Angers! This signing stems from a game of FIFA I had with a colleague where we picked random teams, I ended up Angers and fell in love with this big lump! A pretty low fee, experience of the league and a great presence in the centre of the park.

Jefferson Farfan
Brought in on trial and really impressed, after I judged Dirar was going to leave and the two remaining wingers just too young for a full season of expectation to fall on them. Ive had experience in the Bundesliga with him before and he provides a genuine threat aswell as cover on both flanks.

Future Prospects

Carlos Soler
This may be a common statement I make but I was delighted to sign Carlos on a tribunal decision, £800k well invested. I'm hoping to mould him into a young Xabi Alonso, he's a ball playing midfielder who may lack the presence of my other midfielders but his technique and vision will stear him right.

Toni Lato
As with Soler, this was a great deal for us. Very highly rated by our scouting team and looks like he could cover for Mendy from the go, which leave our squad with Sidibe and Fabinho at RB, with solid depth. Very excited about him.

Ebenezer Ofori
Taking advantage of the loose French rules on African players with this one, another player with an engine. Young enough to develop into a good Ligue 1 player according to reports, he can also cover at LB if a crisis arises. Great squad player to have and one of a number joining us from the Nordic regions.

Marius Lundemo
A personal favorite, had great success with Marius, a very undemanding team player. Has the ability to do pretty much it all, can cover a number of roles and scores some cracking goals at times.

Sander Berge
Only 18, great scout report and potential to be a leading CM in Ligue 1. He's away out on loan for the season, very much like Lundemo in that at the moment he's very well rounded without excelling at a particular role, some training after this loan period will hopefully help me figure out exactly where to fit him in.

Mande Sayouba
Wanted a younger Gk to back up Subasic, so took advantage of the French loop holes regarding African players and moved for another player who plays his football in Scandinavia. Has some solid stats and hopefully with tutoring from the two older heads of thr goalkeeping union he'll be our number one in a couple or seasons.

Dayot Upmaecano
Potential. Brought in with the future in mind, well known around here so not much to say. Hope to have him join my other 2 CB Signings as our stalwarts for many seasons to come.

Ozer Ozdemir
As above, a bit raw so will spend the season in the reserves and maybe next year out on loan but looks a promising player.

Jerome Onguene
A rock, can't wait to pair him with Sarr and Dayot for years to come.

Malang Sarr
Again I am thought it best to get these lads in early and get them used to each other early. An exciting future building nicely.

Tactics

QhetsuG.png?1

This is our main set up, I have another i'm experimenting with that involves no strikers and three players at the AMC position, but this is what I've started the season with. I'm trying to somewhat replicate Jurgan Klopp's gengenpress and hassle the opponent high up the park. I've set up the OI in quite an intense way, lots of hard tackling, tight marking and closing down. It does run the risk of collecting cards but its a risk/reward situation so i'm gonna go with it for now.

Nice to see some people around enjoying french leagues !!

@Jogo Bonito nice stuff for the National teams update, i may be tempted to bring Marseille Consolat up to the top after my good run last year with Paris FC,

But now let's go back to AS Nancy Lorraine

After our successful season where we both overperformed board and Jogo's expectations :cool: we're now back to the ground with high hopes and a nice core is now appearing

SEASON 2017/2018

Transfers

Even with that unexpected 7th spot, i was not waiting for big cash to spend obviously, and this is what happened, roughly 7M€ plus few extra for wages,

As a reminder here are my priorities:

-Get rid of my deadwood,

-Not renewing end of contracts back up

-Bring real quality at GK spot

As a result here is what we got

684a32407749ca4b2ea5060a73a564d8.png

As you can imagine, freebies are my friends, but you'll see some real deals are made too :brock:

ALOE: Young CB on loan to Valenciennes from Marseille at the start of the game, not a worldbeater for sure, but better than what i have, young, french, free and on low wages

FOMBA: Young french CM on loan from Leicester, raised in Auxerre as far as i remember, will provide depth at the center of the pitch

POUNDJE: Attacking left FB from Bordeaux on a free, he already knows the Ligue 1, asks for little money and will cover this position with ease

AUGUSTIN: This is the REAL deal of the summer, rated 5 stars potential by my scouts, he's rotting in reserve, his value is low, and his asking price even lower, french poacher for years to come, top quality :D

COSTIL: The GK spot was an absolute priority, i gave him what he wanted, which means big salry and everything, but i felt the difference between him and my average previous keepers, on a free from Rennes in any save, quality GK for any side

MELI: Agressive argentinian ball winning midfielder, transfer listed for less than 1M€  after his loan to Sporting, was just too good to refuse, a starter here, watch out, his agressivity must be an issue (21 yellow cards)

ZIDANE: Was available on the loan market, i needed a 2nd keeper, so it made sense, won't have Ligue 1 level, but it's an appreciated name in France and i can say that i brought someone from Real Madrid!! :cool:

SAKAI: Transfer listed international japanese was a good very option in my set up, i did not have money to bring someone better, he already knows Ligue 1 and french, so won't be really difficult for him to adapt

MORISSON: Transfer listed english playmaker was a good opportunity for my #10 spot, i will always find an english ai manager to cash out on him in a couple of years :)

BONAZZOLI: Young italian striker, brought to provide depth upfront

BENNASSER: I finally decided to buy him during his 2nd loan with us, for that money it's really a good deal

Now that the new faces are in town let's see what we can do,

As you can noticed, i tried to focus on french players or Ligue 1 players in order to be effective asap and not to get any problems for tactics and stuff

SET UP

3e5a7675a542ff035c178e6b15151119.png

I sticked with my previous tactic, good friendly campaign and 8 of my starters are french which keep the stuff a bit real at least

COMPETITIONS

Ligue 1

Paris who ? :D

7b6a065ace7959aee7aa42f720d8606f.png                          8c30a848475e0399a8269a8d2252430f.png

Amazing results home and away against top teams in general, still struggle against "weaker teams"

Must admit that our away win was kind of a steal :D

Anybody else has an issue with penalties ?? My opponents are missing quite often , but my penalty tackers ALWAYS miss theirs :mad:

And here we go...

0ec950a4abeeb29d828053bb56185723.png

We had an incredible start like 6 wins a row, then like the first season, draws in row, but we made it constantly in the top 2

I must reckon that COSTIL helped us a lot in this tittle, almost 20 clean sheets, and some incredible games, that changed me from last season

My strikers were on fire all season long, but most of all, i secured a really difficult home win thanks to POUNDJE at 86th minute while PSG could not make better than a loss :lol:

459d4acc8f6f510e19f7b13d28991745.png

Completely unexpected tittle, as i was predicted top half finish at the beginning, i wish Toulouse would have gone down (Hello Lafont and Diop :D) but they trashed the playoff for survival, special award for Rennes and Nantes, crap season !

Domestic cups

As usual, knocked out on the first leg in Coupe de la Ligue...

BUT

We lifted the Coupe de France against the mighty Tours Fc, after a quiet easy run against Bordeaux, Paris FC, Metz and Lens

Forgot to screen it, but we only won it on penalties 1-1 during full time,

Anyway AS Nancy Lorraine made an incredible double !

In order to reward me, my president than gave me...3.8M€ transfers budget for the upcoming season...No brainer

Team and players awards

Top scorer

1c9cd70fef818746cdcbb06014a76225.png

Well done PSG and most of all thanks, selling me for less than 1M€ AUGUSTIN and brought in Aubameyang for 51M€ :idiot:

548586305251b2b1a2fa7c92058fb534.jpg

Note that when the lad arrived he only had 7 determination, now it already raised to 13 after his 2nd season with us

Team of the year

There is only LENGLET in the team of the year surprisingly

Note that my board thinks about a stadium expansion

Objectives for next season:

-Have fun in Europe as i don't expect anything from here

-Try to retain our tittle

-Aim for Champions League football

-Lift a domestic cup

-Try,and this will be the hardest part, to build a competitive squad for less than 4M€, thanks Mr President :seagull:

Anyone played as Le Havre? I feel like giving them a spin :) I like their traditions of youth development, their claim to being the "first" French football team, and their cool new stadium. I also like that they are somewhat of a "fallen giant", or at least they have had success in the past.

How's Le Havre viewed by your "average French person"?

@the--dud I will let the average French people answer you, but I would highly recommend Le Havre.

@puffascruffowitz Welcome and best of luck with that! Feel free to add the details of the download, assuming it is permitted on these pages.

I hope both you guys will keep us updated.

@nico_france Wow, what a season with Nancy! Incredible really, and on that showing you might find yourself approached by the real club to bring them the title! Great signings of Augustin and Costil, really nice deals there. I'm still surprised you did it, I might try and get you as my assistant at Chamois Niortais, it's not going too well so far :lol:

Great guides @Joga Bonito France is one of the places I'm thinking of doing a save in but I've yet to choose a team. Got a few teams in mind but I haven't chosen one yet.

Completely random comment but I sometimes simulate the first season or two on random saves from time to time to see what happens and funnily enough in my most recent sim both Marseille and Lille got themselves relegated in the first season. I've uploaded it if anybody wants it. It's currently in the 1st of June 2017. 

PSG really are a irritant, they won like 13 league games in a row and mauled me 5-1 in our first meeting... Just reached Christmas, things are going pretty well. Need to figure out how to line up against PSG though..

This thread tempted me to start a save in France, and I have chosen Stede Rennais. Thanks to all that have provided inputs.

A question though, I see that my first choice keeper (Benoit Costil) wants to leave on a free at the end of his contract. Is there anyway I can reverse his decision? The team had just started pre-season when he broke this news out, so it was a bit of a shock. Now I am contemplating whether to sell him out right and get a good youth keeper in.

Suggestions?

3 hours ago, inthisspace said:

This thread tempted me to start a save in France, and I have chosen Stede Rennais. Thanks to all that have provided inputs.

A question though, I see that my first choice keeper (Benoit Costil) wants to leave on a free at the end of his contract. Is there anyway I can reverse his decision? The team had just started pre-season when he broke this news out, so it was a bit of a shock. Now I am contemplating whether to sell him out right and get a good youth keeper in.

Suggestions?

Every save I have started this happens, so I don't think there's much to do

8 hours ago, inthisspace said:

Suggestions?

You might not want to do it and it might not even work but have you tried making the game again and offering a new contract before you even press continue once ?  It would let you know if you can sign him up before it happens it or not.  If you can't do it right at the game start then i would imagine there is nothing at all you can do mate.

10 hours ago, inthisspace said:

Suggestions?

It might be hardcoded from the start

As irl he will leave the club on a free this summer in any case, it's may be impossible to renew his contract

In all my saves in France he s always leaving Rennes on a free

@inthisspace Welcome, and I'm pleased that you have joined the thread. I don't think it's hardcoded on Costil, as he doesn't have 'Frt' to identify he is automatically leaving on a free transfer. However, looking at his profile page he does have a preference to play in a higher league, particularly Serie A in Italy. He also wants Rennes to win a trophy in the first season, so I guess you would be very lucky to get him signing a new deal, even on day one.

@Jogo Bonito, @Hoarau , @nico_france, @georgey, @Mr_Demus,

Thanks for your replies and advice! Unfortunately, I do not have a save before I received the news from Costil. Guess I will have to make a tough decision on whether to sell him or not. I have a backup/rotation keeper in my team (Diallo), as well as an up and coming one in Theo Luis. So I am leaning towards Costil running down his contract.

On another note, is it only me, but I cannot seem to sign Dayot Upamecano - he has no intention on joining my club on a permanent basis. This is based on my scout report on the said player.

9 minutes ago, Mr_Demus said:

After a decent start, my team collapsed and 9 games without a win cost me the job :(

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you try again with them or somebody else? If I wasn't expected to be battling against relegation, my form at Chamois Niortais may have been ending that way too :rolleyes:

On 12/2/2016 at 13:40, nico_france said:

And here we go...

0ec950a4abeeb29d828053bb56185723.png

We had an incredible start like 6 wins a row, then like the first season, draws in row, but we made it constantly in the top 2

Wow! Did you just win the title second season with Nancy!?!? That's incredible. Well played. 

14 hours ago, Saint_Lane said:

Wow! Did you just win the title second season with Nancy!?!? That's incredible. Well played. 

Thanks !

Yes won it on the last game of the season :D, and also won the Coupe de France ;)

PSG was not in a good year as well tbh...

Tactic wise, this 3 at the back set up seems to be a great game breaker for lower teams indeed, the following season is kind of difficult with European football and a tight squad :(

Just coming into the final 4 Games of the league season, PSG are champions but it's been a good season for development. 

I'm not planning major transfers for the summer but I have agreed about 10 youth Signings(all 15 years from France that my scouts went mental for). I have however agreed a structured £32m deal for one of the Leagues hottest talents who have been terrorising us all. 

Jogo, I've also signed a couple of players I'd like your input if you know them as they're young lads from Africa. What a bonus it was loading all players from that continent.

2 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@Mr_Demus Welcome back! For your sake, I hope this time it goes more like the Lorient Express :lol:

@nico_france Were there mixed emotions for you yesterday in the 'nico derby' OM v ASNL?

Ahahaah Jogo,

Absolutely not ! Marseille is my #1 IRL, no doubt about it!! And you know, we saw so few victories these days with them, whoever we face i'm still behind Marseille :D

On the other hand my Nancy captain Lenglet was absolutely terrible yesterday IRL, might send my resumé and my saves to Nancy's board if they want to change their head coach :cool:

Haven't had a save in France for a few editions of FM now but looking over this has got me excited to try one out. Want a team with a good academy and youth recruitment to try and concentrate on developing my own players into title winners. Lyon caught my eye first. Any other suggestions guys.

@Kevmcc87 Good to hear the thread is inspiring you. Lyon do have a great youth culture, and is a very good pick. Probably not far away from an immediate title challenge. Others could be Monaco, Nice, Toulouse, or if you want a bigger challenge Nantes always had a bit of a reputation for this. Montpellier or Rennes might possibly fit the bill - but the first four are probably the best suggestions unless anyone else has any alternatives?

@Hoarau Good find mate! He's a promising young player actually, with good skill and dribbling ability. Very much left-footed but plays as a right winger, cutting in from the flank on his stronger foot. He can play on the left but as an out-and-out winger as he has no right foot. I'm impressed with your choice to be fair, and he probably will end up in France sooner rather than later. I'll do a special scouting report on him for you if he plays in the AFCON in January (East African power supply permitting).

8 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@Kevmcc87 Good to hear the thread is inspiring you. Lyon do have a great youth culture, and is a very good pick. Probably not far away from an immediate title challenge. Others could be Monaco, Nice, Toulouse, or if you want a bigger challenge Nantes always had a bit of a reputation for this. Montpellier or Rennes might possibly fit the bill - but the first four are probably the best suggestions unless anyone else has any alternatives?

Making a start on a Lyon save tonight. Will do a short write-up after I've finished my preseason with transfers and stuff.

@Kevmcc87 Best of luck, will look forward to reading your story when you get to that point.

My stay at Chamois Niortais in Ligue 2 hasn't gone well. Not at all well. One win in the first ten league matches and we sit 18th out of 20. There's been no pressure from the board yet as we have a media prediction of relegation contenders, but my bosses will no doubt want better than this (expectation from them was to try and force a mid-table finish).

46 minutes ago, Kevmcc87 said:

Mine just got interesting.....

Olympique Lyonnais v Barcelona_ Pitch Split.png

Fantastic work :D If I may ask, what tactics and team instructions did you use? Out of all the teams I've played in FM I never manage to beat Barcelona. They stomp me every single time, doesn't matter if I play Man City, Rosenborg or Valencia! Man United is another team that I struggle massively to beat...

2 minutes ago, the--dud said:

Fantastic work :D If I may ask, what tactics and team instructions did you use? Out of all the teams I've played in FM I never manage to beat Barcelona. They stomp me every single time, doesn't matter if I play Man City, Rosenborg or Valencia! Man United is another team that I struggle massively to beat...

Here are my tactics and team instructions. The tactic is built on short passing and speedy wingbacks overlapping and putting it on a plate for the CF and IFs. I played about with it a lot during my Man U save and settled on this. I also give additional player instructions to most of my team. I can go into it in further detail if you like when i do my mid season write up. I was gonna do one after preseason but I never really bought anyone so didn't see the need.

Olympique Lyonnais_  Overview-2.png

Olympique Lyonnais_  Overview-4.png

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 13:58, Hoarau said:

Just coming into the final 4 Games of the league season, PSG are champions but it's been a good season for development. 

I'm not planning major transfers for the summer but I have agreed about 10 youth Signings(all 15 years from France that my scouts went mental for). I have however agreed a structured £32m deal for one of the Leagues hottest talents who have been terrorising us all. 

Jogo, I've also signed a couple of players I'd like your input if you know them as they're young lads from Africa. What a bonus it was loading all players from that continent.

Sorry mate I missed this one completely. Obviously we talked about your Gabonese winger, but look forward to hearing about the rest. African connections are so great for managing in France, although sadly I don't ever see any clauses for improving power supplies in the selling club negotiations :)

cLktQ2m.png

wlyqqjc.jpg

MONACO: SEASON 1 OVERVIEW

I could look at this season as a real disappointment, we won nothing and were soundly beaten by PSG 3 times. It should be a seasonal review full of upheaval and assessment but it's not, instead I'm actually happy with the season gone. I set out with Monaco as I wanted a challenge and that's definitely what it is, one which I'm thoroughly enjoying. We finished 2nd, miles behind PSG, for me though the season was one of learning and enjoyment. This young squad grew as the season went on and towards the end played some exceptional football. A lot of the young players, either signed or already ready there have come on leaps and bounds. We disappointed in the cup and the early stages of the league but as usual that was down to the drastic change in tactics and the players feeling that out, of course some inexperience on both mine and the players parts didn't help but I honestly feel we've grown as a unit this term.

You know, I actually mean that. I feel connected to these players and this club now, we are a standing force together. I've enriched myself in their history, my new favorite player if Delio Onnis, what a legend. This is a project for me, there's so many players I plan on giving game time to over the next season I actually expect to perhaps suffer a little form wise. I want to try and keep this core together, I know its going to be tough to do that now that the big boys are circling, I will try my best though.

Ill give a brief run down of my star performers and promising youngsters, as well as quickly stating my plans for next season which are well underway. My board also to my delighted and surprise announced the building of a new 45,000 seated stadium, due to be completed in 2019. This surprised me to no end but they additionally gave me a transfer budget for season 2 of around £69m, I'm hoping to actually be in profit overall despite making one or two large Signings, which I'll explain more in detail below.

Tactically I stuck with the shape I set out with at the beginning of the season, it definitely developed and altered until both I and the players felt comfortable. It's been small tweaks here and there, especially in the two CM roles and the AMC role, up top we've excelled with both our main strikers being fairly consistent. Our main threat came from out wide with both Lemar on the left and Farfan/Lozano providing great assists while chipping in a few goals. This is how our stand out performers ended the season statistics wise :

TOP PERFORMERS OF THE SEASON

Bernardo Silva
My main man, as I'm sure everyone who manages Monaco would say, he's just sooooo good. My teams heartbeat without question. His vision, technique and ability to find a teammate in space is exceptional. While watching my games this season if he wasn't the one providing the assist he was the player passing the ball to the guy who does get the assist. Ending the season with 19 goals & 18 assists in 41 Games, getting a rating of 7.44. Just oozes class, a player my team will be built around until someone offers me over £100m.

Thomas Lemar
Due to Silva's owning of the AMC spot Lemar has found home out playing AML, where he has been fantastic

Kylian Mbappe
What a prospect! I'm overawed with how good this lad is and can become, he's only 18 and is running games, so dangerous. Has a real eye for goal, especially at the start of season 2 where he's got 4 goals in 3 games. Going to be careful with his development and choose some key traits to compliment his game. Great talent.

Falcao

What a season from our captain, stayed fit all season and it really helped. He still has such a good eye for goal, could have got a lot more but I roated him with Babacar. Definitely keeping him around, he's our franchise player. Our Zlatan if you will..

Khouma Babacar

Same as Falcao, would have scored more if I had played him more but I kept them fresh by rotating them. It didn't have the detrimental effect youd have thought. He's our Drogba, great presence who bosses defenders at time.
Carlos Soler
Has developed well in his limited apparences, is destined to be a top level technical midfielder. Hoping for more solid performances with increased involvement next season.
Jemerson
Solid next to Glik, really stood out last year and is attracting huge interest, think he may go as it's clubs beyond us sniffing around. Very solid, consistant performer who moved quickly over the ground which helped against the leagues abundance of pacey frontmen.
Fabinho
The man, he's soooooo consistant, I play him mainly as a RB and he's fearsome out there. Bounding forward putting quality on the head of our strikers. It's like having Cafu in our side.

MONACO: SEASON 2 PREVIEW

As for the season ahead I will allow some players to leave, some unhappiness about playing time and such has made it difficult to maintain everyone's morale so I'll have to succumb to their will to leave for regular first team action which is understandable. I had agreed a whole host of under 15 signings to bump up our under 19 squad, according to reports their is some real talent in the ranks so I'll be following a Monaco like cycle of trying to bring them through. Only pre-arranged the one first team signing and it is a significant one, we've spent £32m on last seasons League terrorising, wondered from Bordeaux - Adam Ounas. A hearty fee yes but one I feel that's worth it, especially with a player we've lost. Should recoup his fee and then some if he performs as he did last year, very exciting prospect.

We have, including that purchase, went on to spend just under £105m this summer which sounds crazy but I have also so nearly £80m worth of players also, with interest still strong I'm a couple more so we could see more of that recouped before the end of August. It seems excessive but it's mostly large fees on certain players than a load of signings.

He's followed into the club by another signing from within the league, this time a large outlay was made to our main rivals, who in truth didn't need the money, PSG. Presnel Kimpembe joined us for £26m, after a season of pursuit from myself, he was my number one target this window as I feel he could go on and lead us for 10-12 years, would even be a possible club captain should the situation arise. Both Glik and Jemerson were really good but they just seemed to miss a step in tough European games, with another new partner at CB I feel these two going forward will be come world class and take us on a level. Which brings me to my next addition...

Mauricio Lemos joined us from La Liga, another large outlay of £23m, again I know it doesn't seem very "Monaco" to throw these large fees around in quick succession but the combination of the players we've sold, currently £99m worth of sales, and trying to compete with PSG who have spent an absolute fortune! On Lemos though I feel like we have the making of a true dynasty with him next to Kimpembe, two young, strong and hungry defenders who'll hopefully use Glik as a mentor for some experience throughout the season.

I was really happy with Falcao and Babacar last season and didn't feel the need to make any moves as we have two players in our ranks who I'd like to give game time to this season or next, those would be Chaibi and Jean. But after a scout report landed on my desk and a review of Falcao's age I felt we might benefit from one more should injuries arise and such. So I made a move for a player very sought after according to his report, Celtic's Moussa Dembele joined for around £11.25m. A good fee I felt for a very exciting player who actually offers us a different type of foward to our two main options, Falcao natural technique and Babacar's brushing physicality may not always be the avenue to success. Dembele offers pace, directness and youthful exuberance, he fits in well with the core we are building here, young, French and bags of potential. Very happy to add him to the club.

Another exciting addition came again from a scout report, which I feel are much more useful this year? Anyone else? Playing in Belgium and getting a 4* reports spiked my interest, upon reviewing his stats I was blown away with the potential I could see. An absolute jet engine bombing down the wings terrorising Ligue 1 full backs, with skill and the ability to put in deadly balls I knew it was someone I had to add. Now much like Dembele there are players in my ranks who I also want to bleed into the first team, espically in the wide positions but this term they'll be out on loan getting full seasons of football so this signing made sense. In came Leon Bailey from Genk for 10-12m, raw and exciting so a good deal for us I thought.

Benoit Costil joined us on a free,a solid Ligue 1 goalkeeper. With Subasic leaving for Ajax I didn't want to just throw Nardi or Sayouba in, I feel it'll be another season before either take over fully. So I offered Costil a trial and he impressed, he Knowes the league, the language and provides solid experience between the sticks. My only concern if it's a fully new triangle at the centre of the defence with Costil, Lemos and Kimpembe just joining, I'm hoping it won't take too long for them to gel as a unit.

And last but not least my absolute favorite signing, a player I've liked for years both in real life and in FM but have never managed to get in a squad. A former Monaco player, which was a big part in the signing, someone who can help take us up a level again and a player of calibre that, despite his age, rivals PSG's best. Yaya Toure joins us on a free transfer, not ridiculous Wages given where he's just came from, £80,000 a week, yes it's more than anyone else in the squad but its Yaya. He's been put on penalty and free kick duties and has already delivered preseason so I'm very optimistic of getting a decent contribution from him in the forthcoming campaign. A true giant.

News from around Ligue 1.

PSG, not content with winning everything last season, they thought it wise to let thier manager leave for Real Madrid and replace him with none other than Zinedine Zidane..Yep, not just that though, to get Zidane they must have offered him some bounty as, since his arrival, they've spent £283m on players. In comes:
Aysmeric Laporte
Alexi Vidal
Felipe Anderson
Mauro Icardi

Lucas Biglia

Ezequiel Schelotto

Sven van Beek

Victor Lindelof

Saul

Marseille not to be outdone have went cash happy with their spending, making a great signing in Victor Kovalenko for £37.5m.

And how's this for a group of death in season two's Champions League draw!!??

UZ9WxGE.png

@Hoarau Nice updates mate, glad you're enjoying it so much. Pleased to see the new stadium and with the budget in place there's not many obstacles in your way as you look to challenge PSG. Some decent signings in there, and I hope Yaya has a good return to the club! Sorry to see the likes of Sidibe and Jemerson leave, but impossible to keep them all happy.

@Joga Bonito Yeah it was a complete squad morale decision, Sidibe & Jemerson both came to me one the verge of complaining but Lozano was purely financial. I felt it was ok to let them move on as theres so many promising youngsters I want to promote them, both Toure & Diallo will play huge parts this season.

Oh and the other recruit from Africa I wanted to see if you had an opinion on is, Congo striker, Lonreve Gassama. he's fast and has some good key technical attributes for a frontman. Report says he could be a good Ligue 1 striker so I have high hopes.

I like Sidibe a lot, superb player. Actually signed him on my ASSE game in FM14 as far as I can remember. Might have to have a look at that old version.

Sorry to say I don't know too much about Lonreve other than that he had a really productive season in his home country (not sure if the stats are right but was virtually a goal per game). Moved to Morocco which is a better domestic league and he did score in the CAF this year. Might be another good pick, so nothing to lose.

Don't forget to wish Yaya a happy birthday - could be mutiny otherwise. I won't mention the drink driving charge. Or agent. Still love him as a player though. 

I was a huge fan of Sidibe, he was very consistent. I just feel this year's FM that morale is a huge factor, so I had to let him talk to Atletico, the only real saving grace is Mendy, he's my first choice LB and I have a promising back up in Toni Lato. Same at RB with Fabinho being number 1 and Toure who's developing really well.

Yeah lonreve is one I'm keen to see amount to something, as with Mandrault, it's a low  risk/high reward roll of the dice. Both look like they could become valuable squad members, just need to try and get them game time.

Ha! Yaya will be fine, he's at a club who value him and a manager who loves him! But yeah if he could keep the off field distractions to minimum or better year leave them to Balotelli.. that'd be just great. He's started every game so far and hasn't look out of place. Already at thr planning stage for his bday party! ;-) 

Mendy is a smashing player too, did well for me with OM in FM16. And Toure impressed me at the start of last season, still looks to be developing well in real life. Really look forward to learning how you get on with Lonreve and Mandrault, although with so many big fee players that game time will be hard to find.

Have not done well in Niort, nothing is working. Might have to try and recruit the pair above! In the meantime, constant poor results means I need a fix of a decent Ligue 1 side to bring back some feel-good factor. Sadly, as much as I want it to be ASSE that is another massive project - I probably need something with some of the blocks in place. Likely to be Toulouse or Nice (again) as I really like lots in their squads. Whilst admiring them, I feel Lyon and Monaco are too far down the road and some of the others like Angers are not quite there. Will update when it's sorted - and after checking I can make the key signings I need to hold my interest.

Archived