Hodgson Steps Down

Djstu23

So this time it's 100% down to Hodgson then? That's how it works over there, right?

For me it is. He went into a tournament not knowing his best system, picked a squad that suited a diamond formation and used that formation in the final warm up game. It didn't work so we started the tournament using wingers, even though there was only 1 in a 23 man squad. He picked too many fitness risks and left out players who were on form. He had our only striker over 6 foot tall taking the corners and free kicks. We looked out of ideas, we tried playing with width but left the best header of a ball in the country at home. If he could have taken 35 players he might have been alright.

Tell that to Southgate, Beckham, Neville, probably others ;)

England seem to have a very well-developed sense of identifying scapegoats.

This one is justified though.

I blame the players just as much tbf, but Roy's prepared statement and dodging questions about the match shows just how wrong for the job he was.

He could be dropping his pants and showing his arse to the press core, and it wouldn't necessarily say much about how fit he was for the job. What you mention are completely separate from how fit for the job he may or may not have been.

I'm not piping up here to defend the guy, but once again, I see England fans going overboard in criticism, reflecting the media to a sense probably, and I don't think that kind of environment is particularly healthy. There is a middle room between world beater and utterly hopeless / crap / pub player / whatever, but much of the coverage and comments gravitate towards these two extremes.

Sorry but Hodgson made some real f ups this tournament and I am not sure he was the right guy to take charge, his record in the big tournaments were shambolic.

He could be dropping his pants and showing his arse to the press core, and it wouldn't necessarily say much about how fit he was for the job. What you mention are completely separate from how fit for the job he may or may not have been.

If he's planned an exit speech (before the game against Iceland ffs) and does it as rapidly as possible to avoid any talk and questions from the press, he's obviously a weak-minded manager who's not going to inspire confidence in his players.

Hodgson has done a lot of good and was absolutely the right man to take over from Capello in 2012. That it's not worked out in 2016 shouldn't alter that fact.

Didn't work out in 2014 either, which would have been the perfect time to get rid.

Tell that to Southgate, Beckham, Neville, probably others ;)

England seem to have a very well-developed sense of identifying scapegoats.

To be fair, the ones that tend to be 'scapegoats', have a major **** up or play incredibly poorly. :D

Archived