Italy - Euro 2016

Astafjevs

Pelle's hold up play tonight was impressive. It gave Italy an outlet they could rely on and something to build from, something Belgium didn't get from Lukaku.

He's no Vialli, Baggio etc; but in Conte's system he is a very useful player in the starting XI.

he is a good old fashioned 9 I like him and he does give it his best you cant ask for more

MLG extolling Pellè ffs :D

He is so so so ****. Misses too many chances. Terrible striker

Do you not think that is harsh? 14 caps, 7 international goals so far for Italy and he is the focal point of the Italians style of play under Conte.

I'm not saying he is another world class Italian striker; but for the role Conte wants him to play I think he is very effective and showed that again tonight. Without a target man Conte's system doesn't work, there aren't a great number of strikers better at what he does.

Are you really going to deny he held the ball up well tonight and was a useful outlet?

Pellè played a fantastic game, goal apart. He challanged and won the most of headers towards him. I think his header missed in the first half, allowing Italy to go 2-0, was quite bad but not that easy to score anyway. He ran from side to side on the attacking front. He held up the ball and made many first-time passes.

Conte had Llorente at Juventus on the say role, and I think Pellè is far way better than him.

Our draw for winning the group is ludicrous. Never known anything like it. It's actually difficult for us to finish 2nd now, but:

Croatia > Germany > France

As a comparison, Spain winning their group:

A 3rd place team > Switzerland/Poland (assuming Poland come 2nd) > England/Portugal (assuming Portugal come 1st)

:D

Do you not think that is harsh? 14 caps, 7 international goals so far for Italy and he is the focal point of the Italians style of play under Conte.

I'm not saying he is another world class Italian striker; but for the role Conte wants him to play I think he is very effective and showed that again tonight. Without a target man Conte's system doesn't work, there aren't a great number of strikers better at what he does.

Are you really going to deny he held the ball up well tonight and was a useful outlet?

Today showed why you can't rely on Pellè every game. I agree he didn't really stink against Belgium although he did miss a couple of chances, and on this level, a couple is a couple too many. But today, he stank all over the place.

Yesterday the whole team underperformed massively, so I won't point out how Pellè only had a poor game.

That said, I lost my bet as I wouldn't ever thought Italy to get through the group stage.

Rest as many as possible :D.

He only took four central defenders, plus Darmian who can cover there, so one has to play. Bonucci and Chiellini are on yellows, so they're most likely to go. Leaving Darmian-Barzagli-Ogbonna as the back three. Maybe switch Barzagli and Ogbonna, but those are three he will pick

It was dreadful. But the positive is that "first-teamers" will be rested. I really would like Insigne to start against Spain.

On the other hand, Barzagli, Bonucci, and Chiellini have a yellow card each. If one of them gets another against Spain and Italy get through, Ogbonna will play in the quarter-final. If two, the prospect will be grim. Anyway, let's take it one game at a time.

How can't you love a team like Italy? we can win against everyone as much as we can lose against everyone. Most exciting team ever!

I think the only way us to play a decent football is facing always the best teams. And Spain cheered too many times now. All the world is sick of them.

What a waste of a sub by bringing Zaza on. Awful run-up, awful penalty. And what the heck of a penalty Pellè took. Calling it tragic was an understatement. I feel for Buffon. He was close to saving one or two.

Anyway, that was the furthest a mediocre group of players could go. And to be fair, it was further than expected. At least, they always played with passion.

I have to partly retract my pre-tournament statement about Conte.

He did have a plan for a very mediocre side: of course it couldn't be a plan based on attractive attacking football, but it was the best he could do with what he had.

My opinion on most players doesn't change though, and it'll be a real taks for Ventura from now on, as the next generation doesn't look much more promising than the current bunch of barely-adequate filler.

Archived