FM14: Borussia Dortmund - Echte Liebe

Ryan377

Santon and Shaw are also decent picks for a new LB if you don't mind buying from the Premier League.

Thats excactly my current Dortmund LBs atm but in the opposite order, Shaw as starter (and Santon as backup plus tutor of him lol) ..

Used to Start Santon back in time when Shaw needed some matches to settle and grow.. but now on 3rd season Shaw is way better !

Santon is excellent in set pieces too..and a great cheap alternative for top lvl teams.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way guys i really need a wonderkid DC to replace hummels in a couple of years and to duo with Balanta..

My DCs now are Hummels + Balanta(starters) and Umtiti as a sub..

I am after these options: Doria( unfortunately he is injured for 2months atm), Marquinhos( got his 40m asking price lol but want the best pair candidate with Balanta), Zouma

and Jedvai (the croatian wonderkid from Roma )

Who do you think suits best as a partner duo with Balanta?

Tbh, by the time Hummels declines/retires I'm sure you'd have a few newgens from your youth team to replace him with. Germany produces great newgen CBs.

True and thanks for replying mate but i use to rotate all my DCs so i need a "ready to perform" rorating player.. umtiti is quality but isnt enough to provide cover for all the rest alone.. and playing some1 without experiences isnt what i am looking for.. I mean its ok to play regens in small matches or cup games, but i need them for big games too.. Thats why i am looking for a top class CB sub.. any suggestion between the ones i mentioned in post #102? :)

Zambrano from Frankfurt has decent stats in good areas, got him for ~3.5m pounds at start of season 2 in my save

not very young though, but doesn't complain at being a backup

also, to cover Piszczek while he's injured, Cedric Soares (from Sporting) can be picked up for VERY cheap (around 2m at gamestart) and is very solid for me

ditto Santon, but slightly more expensive at 10m, and he kicked up a fuss when Monaco came in for him (the greedy money whore)

True and thanks for replying mate but i use to rotate all my DCs so i need a "ready to perform" rorating player.. umtiti is quality but isnt enough to provide cover for all the rest alone.. and playing some1 without experiences isnt what i am looking for.. I mean its ok to play regens in small matches or cup games, but i need them for big games too.. Thats why i am looking for a top class CB sub.. any suggestion between the ones i mentioned in post #102? :)

Afraid I only know Zouma from those names as I mainly buy real players from within the Bundesliga until I start producing my own.

Who have you got? Did you get rid of Sokratis, because he's always been an amazing CB for me. Subotic has been average for me. Staying in the Bundesliga how's Ginter looking? Kirchhoff still at Bayern? Brooks, Tah and Knoche developed well?

Agree with Samdiatmh regarding Frankfurt. Players like Oczipka and Zambrano can do a good job for you, while Jung and Rode can be first teamers.

EDIT: Not on FM atm, so Googled 'Umtiti'. Didn't know him by name, but recognise his face. Can he be trained as your long term Hummels replacement? Train him up as a ball playing CB.

Then you effectively replace Umtiti former backup/rotation role. I wouldn't be paying £40mil on a 4th choice CB if that's what you were referring to Marquinhos? It's difficult for me to recommend as you play the opposite to me in reference to CB rotation.

I use the first two starters giving the third choice a few games here or there. 3rd choice of course covers for injuries. Then the 4th/5th choice are promising youngsters, just like BVB have now. And getting two CBs injured isn't that much a big deal, especially of you have a versatile DM who can play there.

That might be something to consider? Instead of 4 top quality CB, get one that can play well in more than 1 position. For instance a DC/DM, LB/CB, RB/CB.

As you have 3 top class CBs I would get a solid backup, not world class one but someone who will sign as a rotation/backup as Samdiatmh said. But if you really want to continually rotate I'd still avoid paying over £20m, as it's really not needed and could be used elsewhere. The ones I listed could be available for much less.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally done it, 7 seasons later!

v6875d.jpg

Had a horrible run to the final. Got Arsenal in the first knockout stage, Real Madrid in the quarters and then Man United in the semi's. Been mainly focusing on the Champions League for the past 3/4 seasons now and we've kept going out at the quarters and semi's, massive relief to finally win it. Not sure what I want to achieve with Dortmund now, Club World Cup is the only trophy I haven't won; Bring it on.

I've started a new Dortmund Save with a twist. I'm challenging myself to never have more than 18 Players in my First Team Squad, just to keep things interesting! I am also planning on using Dortmund 2 for blooding through some promising youth players and emergency cover for the First Team.

First things first, I have sorted the coaching personnel, so that I now have at least 4 stars in each training category. Norbert Elgert has come in from Schalke to run Dortmund 2, while Lars Ricken is in charge of the U19s alongside his Youth Development role. I'd like to bring in some more scouts, but none of the interested personnel seem to have the judging stats to do a decent job, so instead of bringing in the wrong staff, I'll wait for the right ones to come along!

Getting players to sign for Dortmund was more difficult than I previously imagined, considering we were Champions League runners up! On a key note though, I managed to tie Lewandowski down until 2018, with an offer of £81k per week, a 25% yearly wage rise and whole host of other clauses. I have Mitrovic from Anderlecht on my radar as a potential replacement if anyone wants to make me a stupid offer, but until then he's a Dortmund player!

Honda and Santon were top of my transfer wishlist, less than £10m for the pair according to my scouts which the £17m budget more than covers. With his 15 for Crossing and stronger Right Foot Santon is a better RB than LB imo - so solves the RB problem immediately. As a 'Natural' LB he's also able to cover injuries to Schmelzer while Papastathopoulos can slot in very competently at RB.

But just when I thought I'd made my mind up, Sven Mislintat came back with a £6.5m price for Sebastien Jung. So I brought in both Santon and Jung, and now Schmelzer will likely drop onto my bench.

Timo Horn came in on a £1m Upfront, £1m over 48 Months and an extra £1m depending on clauses, another bargain I thought, so will be a worthy number 2 to Weidenfaller for now, and has the potential to stake a claim for the No1 Jersey in the future! I managed to recoup £2m of that by selling Langerak and Focher, so the outlay was minimal. Another good piece of business I thought.

I'm attempting to free up some funds (and wages!) by selling Aubameyang but I have no takers currently (probably due to his excessive wage demands). This will go towards a summer signing of Goretzka (I've got 12 months to unsettle him!) who will replace the out-of-contract Kehl.

I'm working on a deal for Timo Werner for January, when hopefully someone comes in and panic buys Aubameyang. He doesn't exactly fit my system with me playing a lone striker in a 4-3-3/4-5-1, however his Strength, Balance and Passing, while not great, are still high enough so that I can retrain him to be a more complete striker, especially with the potential my Scouts think he has!

If anyone has any suggestions for a DM that can competently play as a DC then please shout! Piszczek will be sold in the summer and Schmelzer and Papastathopoulos have the RB/LB slots well covered, so I'm looking to bolster my midfield options instead. Geis and Ginter would be my preferred choices, but neither are interested in a move at the moment and wouldn't be content with sitting on the bench. Goreztka will provide cover for the DLP/B2B roles, so I need someone that can come in and play second fiddle to Bender, with the ability to do a job in case of dire injury in the back line. Doesn't have to be young, but does have to be content to sit on the bench for large periods of the season so needs to be professional and loyal. Being German would also be a bonus!

My 18-Man Squad

Weidenfaller - (GK - GK)

Jung (RB - CWB)

Hummels (DC - CB)

Subotic (DC - CB)

Santon (LB - CWB)

Bender (DM - DM)

Gundogan (MC - DLP)

Honda (MC - B2B)

Mkitaryan (AMR - Adv. Plm) (Not a fan at all! Will keep hold of him until Leitner returns from Stuttgart, then he'll be sold!)

Reus (AML - Ins Forw)

Lewandowski (FC - DLF)

Horn

Papastathopoulos

Schmelzer

Piszcek (INJ and will be sold - but no takers atm due to his injury!)

Kehl (looking to bring in Goretzka in the Summer if I can afford and unsettle him!)

GroßKreutz

Aubameyang (Will be shown the exit door once I get a deal sorted for Werner)

So that's the squad and future plans as I approach the start of Season 1, I'll keep you updated. It's going to be interesting to see how well we cope with only 18 first team players in the squad, especially with a lack of midfield and attacking quality on the subs bench!

Aubameyang is a terrible striker.. don't make that mistake. In my first season I wanted to cash in Lewandowski and offered him just before the winter break. Barca came and offered to pay €14M and I agreed. From then on Aubameyang was my main striker and he was horrible. If it were not for Reus, Kuba and Mkhitaryan the title was not coming in Dortmund.

If anyone has any suggestions for a DM that can competently play as a DC then please shout!

Look for Wanyama ( with proper retrain in DC).. he may be a bit expensive but trust me he worths every penny.. and he a beast offensively too..

Long shots around 18 !

I got him in my Dortmund as sub of Bender and sometimes i even play him ahead of Bender.

Look for Wanyama ( with proper retrain in DC).. he may be a bit expensive but trust me he worths every penny.. and he a beast offensively too..

Long shots around 18 !

I got him in my Dortmund as sub of Bender and sometimes i even play him ahead of Bender.

I second that, Wanyama is great.

Rode is a talented lad but won't give you the DC versatility. Keep an eye on Kirchhoff if he goes out of favour at Bayern. Ginter is prob your best domestic bet for DC/DM cover. By the end of the season he should be open to a move. Or Lars Bender? Then pick one of the bros to retrain at DC. He'd cost a bit though.

Auba should always be used on the wings as an inside forward, imo. He simply doesn't have the skill set to play as the lone striker. No Kuba?

Strange challenge you're setting yourself. Can you promote youth from BVB II at any time by your rules? If not, you're buggered when the injuries hit.

Challenges are always good though. I enjoy the 75% German rule, where 75% need to be born in Germany or be declared for the German national team. Makes it interesting as there is a massive onus on promoting academy players. I use it in all my saves now, with the nationality changing with that of the club.

I went for Reinartz in the end, due to sign in July 2014. £1m up front and £5.5m over 48 Months. He'll be on just over £30k per week. Strong, Great in the air and in the tackle, and fairly decent mental Stats. The only drawback being he'll have to play as an Anchor Man rather than a DM because he's very limited in terms of both going forward and keeping possession. He'll be a great destroyer alongside Bender against the bigger CL teams, when we just need to sit back and free up the front 3 to hit them on the break.

Guys need your advice, i just have Bernard ( the brazilian from saKhtar) on buy hold in january 2016 (he accepted my offer so its up to me if i finilaze the deal)... just to stall his transfer to Schalke which sold Draxler to Bayern Munchen and looking for a replacement lol..

Now i already got Reus in team (but with 1 year left on his contract) and behind him got Brandt who is doing brilliant...

So what you think should i buy Bernard and decide to sell Reus at the age of 27.. or should i just go on with my current team..

I know Reus is worldclass just wondering if Berard worths the deal on the long term..

I am really indecisive . Anyone got any experience with Bernard in a top team like dortmund?

Severus90: He should do a decent job for you but as you said he's very limited. If that's your long term strategy you might want to look at turning Günter into a Reinartz backup. He'll learn the DM spot in no time and can develop well.

Vaggi: All depends on the cost. Transfer fee, agent fee and wages. I'd pass mainly because I prefer using a German core, but it all comes down to the cost.

If I were you Vaggi I'd not replace Reus. He is home grown, fans love him, he is world class as you said. Imo hold on to him and if you really want Bernard maybe you could paly him on the right as a winger even tho his Balance is really low.

Jonas Hoffmann is starting to become a beast on the AML spot, even better than Reus. He is my second best goalscorer with 15 goals (Suarez has 33) playing mainly as a sub for Reus. Really makes me think

I'm in my second season. I kept Lewandowski so he and Aubameyang are my strikers (i play with 1 up front). I have Pastore and Reus on the LW and Kuba on the RW (with Aubameyang for cover). I have the option to buy Schurrle for GBP 9 mil, and 80k p/w but I'm wondering if I need him, that is can Reus be top class on the RW as well so i can use him instead of kuba?

Schürrle is a class player for that fee but has the "Shoots from distance" PPM. I haven't signed him on FM14 but he rarely got used on my FM13 BVB save, and that PPM was annoying. FM14 might deal with that PPM a bit better than FM13 though. Could be a good pickup and could make a profit down the line if he doesn't work out.

Long shots in FM14 aren't any better than fm13. I am yet to score a single one (excluding free kicks), so that part sucks, what I wanted to know is if Reus can be world class on the RW so I can use Pastore and Schurrle on the LW or should i invest my 9 mil in some other position, like rb or lb?

I also signed akinfeev on a free and bought Mikel for 10 mil.

All depends how much you have? €9mil in a €40mil transfer kitty isn't bad, but if you only have €12mil and need to address the fullback depth then I'd avoid it.

I've had players score long range goals, but it's not so much that it's just the tendency to always shoot instead of doing anything else. In FM13 he'd always shoot from ridiculous angles and distances instead of playing the obvious pass. He can't unlearn it either.

I can't comment on Reus on AMR as I never use him there. Only time I did was FM12, when I had Götze - Kagawa - Reus, and he was amazing, but not sure if he was a natural at RW then. Either way I can't compare as that was pre-new ME.

Only draw back is on the right he'll be forced to use his left foot more. Always worth a try but probs better tracking Volland for the right, and invest in fullback backup.

My advice with the RW is - use Hoffmann, that kids is a beast! (if you still have him, that is) Put him as a Winger (support/attack), preferably, or Inside Forward (support/attack) and you won't do wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

What's the most anyone has scored in a season in the league?. Got 88 looking to get about 95 soon tho there's less games. I got rid of vollard swapped him with timo Werner he wasn't performing while timo scored 17 league goals at 18 year old . 10 points clear of Bayern this season and its only November suttgrat are 6 points behind. Playing a 3-5-2 now champions leagues my next target.

• 2 weeks later...

Stressful start :lol:

2d269t.png

Deserved win though I felt. Dominated the match in terms of chances created & possession

Few things:

Not making any permanent signings until Jan. Buttner on season long loan is my only addition so far

Pretty much 99% of permanent signings are going to be German

A real focus on bringing players through the academy

FCBayernvDortmund_OverviewOverview_zpsec12962f.png

GermanFirstDivision_OverviewStages_zps8b8ffabd.png

Successful 1st season..Signed Montoya as RB and Pjanic as reserve AM...won the 7 last fixtures of the league to win it...The victory at Bayern clinched title!

Lost to Celtic in 1st knockout round of champs league..had 2 players sent off in 1st leg and one off in the 2nd leg..very frustrating! Lost in Cup to Shalke as well!

Lewandowski was Star Man but signed a pre contract with Barcelona...need to buy a replacement! any ideas who I should go for??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Started a game with Dortmund and have a couple of questions regarding tactics. I'm not normally one to mess about with tactics apart from the formation and set pieces, but I've decided to give it a go with Dortmund and try to mimic their style in real life.

So I set their initial style to Counter, as its what they like to do in real life, and I thought it would work out well as they've got pacy players all around. Also in the instructions, I've set them to play a short passing game, with a high tempo, and to retain possession. So far, in the super cup and my first league game, I've had two 1-0 losses by Bayern and Leverkusen, so its not too terrible, and we've had the majority of possession in games, I'm just wondering if the tactics I've chosen is the right way to go?

Edit - I've just played Hamburg and conceded a goal in the 90th minute to lose 2-1 to them, I'm guessing this tactic might not quite work out as in real life.....

Started a game with Dortmund and have a couple of questions regarding tactics. I'm not normally one to mess about with tactics apart from the formation and set pieces, but I've decided to give it a go with Dortmund and try to mimic their style in real life.

So I set their initial style to Counter, as its what they like to do in real life, and I thought it would work out well as they've got pacy players all around. Also in the instructions, I've set them to play a short passing game, with a high tempo, and to retain possession. So far, in the super cup and my first league game, I've had two 1-0 losses by Bayern and Leverkusen, so its not too terrible, and we've had the majority of possession in games, I'm just wondering if the tactics I've chosen is the right way to go?

Edit - I've just played Hamburg and conceded a goal in the 90th minute to lose 2-1 to them, I'm guessing this tactic might not quite work out as in real life.....

I'm far from being an expert, but style Counter with short passing and retain possession sounds a little contradictory.

Alright lads. Just started my second season.

First season I won the league by about 16 points, walked it. Only finished on around 77 but Bayern were awful. I won the cup aswell beating relegated schalke. Reached CL semi and lost to barca

In the first transfer window I managed to sign Andre ayew from marseille, he was a revelation with 20 in his first season. Also managed to sign sahin to a £5m permanent deal that went through in the second summer.

In January I got a little boost and bought Praet and Tielemans from anderlehct. Two very good young players, especially Tielemans and I'm building for the future. I did sign name diouf for £1.5m too, mainly because lewandowski was out from October until April. Which made me delighted I done so well without him. Diouf is very inconsistent mind.

Schalke got relegated in the first season, I managed to sign neustadter for £6m, goretzka for £6m, meyer for £1.3m and kolasinac for £500k so very happy with that. Also brought in michy batsyauyi to replace lewandowski for a very fair £6.75m. I sold piszscek for £10m as groskreutz was playing RB. Instead I brought in aurier, 8 years younger and much more allround ins than piczceck.

As you can see in going young, potentially top players while playing good passing football. Future plans is to sign yet stegen on a free when January opens and looking at werner from Stuttgart next summer. Currently top on October. Any more tips or young stars to look at? Any German ones?

Finally started my Dortmund save. Hopefully I stick at this one, haven't been able to get past 1 season for most saves.

Anyway, brought in heaps of scouts and staff so they are all quality. Booted Kuba as I needed funds and also Schieber.

I wanted to bring in German replacements but due to the price on them this didn't happen. Mainly brought young backups.

Savistskiy 400k

Tagliafico 1.5M

Mayke 7.5M

Rodrigo Gomez 6.5M (Was my most exciting signing then got injured for 3 months as soon as I got him :/ )

Vietto 4.4M

Mane 3.5M

Also chucked a couple youngens out on loan.

Finally done it, 7 seasons later!

v6875d.jpg

Had a horrible run to the final. Got Arsenal in the first knockout stage, Real Madrid in the quarters and then Man United in the semi's. Been mainly focusing on the Champions League for the past 3/4 seasons now and we've kept going out at the quarters and semi's, massive relief to finally win it. Not sure what I want to achieve with Dortmund now, Club World Cup is the only trophy I haven't won; Bring it on.

What skin / logo pack are you using? Thanks for any help.

Just received €30М for Kuba from PSG. What do you think guys, should I sell? I'm in October season 1. What is your opinion?

Also, who to replace him with? I'm using 4-2-3-1 formation with one AMR - Winger/S and one AML- Inside Forward/A, Reus, obviously, being the AML. Aubameyang is my first choice winger and he is doing hell of a job so Kuba is more of a backup. I guess I should be looking for someone young with potential for the future maybe. Any ideas?

Just received €30М for Kuba from PSG. What do you think guys, should I sell? I'm in October season 1. What is your opinion?

Also, who to replace him with? I'm using 4-2-3-1 formation with one AMR - Winger/S and one AML- Inside Forward/A, Reus, obviously, being the AML. Aubameyang is my first choice winger and he is doing hell of a job so Kuba is more of a backup. I guess I should be looking for someone young with potential for the future maybe. Any ideas?

Exactly the same here, £20.5m offer in July 2015. He's 29 but has been very good. Torn, I am signing de Bruyne for £22m anyway and would probably sign konoplyanka for £8m if I sold him.

Looking at zivkovic for AMR too

I was looking at Pjanic, Hermann from Gladbach and Savitskyi, the young Belarusian lad I think. Since I'm looking for someone for the future I might go for someone cheap and with potential where Savitskyi comes to mind. Pjanic will cost me €20M + €87К p/w salary which I think for a backup player is too much. Hermann was available for €11M + €67К p/w but I think it is a bit pricey but why not. Will evaluate some more options :)

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a new tactic.

Going to try and recreate a Atletico one using these to help me. There's four parts and this is the first the rest are on the website. Am sure it will work well with my Dortmund team!. The only thing I need to sign is a attacking mid who is good in the air.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2014/04/13/atletico-madrid-tactics-part-1-how-has-diego-simeone-set-up-his-side/

Time for a new tactic.

Going to try and recreate a Atletico one using these to help me. There's four parts and this is the first the rest are on the website. Am sure it will work well with my Dortmund team!. The only thing I need to sign is a attacking mid who is good in the air.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2014/04/13/atletico-madrid-tactics-part-1-how-has-diego-simeone-set-up-his-side/

You could just retrain one of your target man to AM. Saves money for any other positions you might want to address.

Archived