FM14: Manchester United FC Thread - Dawn of a New Evra!

batty1

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just sold Chicharito to PSG for £35M taking my budget to £75M, any ideas of who to get for a false nine role?

Not sure what stage of the game you are at or even where he may be in your game but i play with one up top as false nine and i have lewandowski , he has been superb there , i trained PPM places shots and can't remember did i train it or was it there but he performs one-twos as well , he is absolutely ripping up the opposition .

why is Tom Cleverley automatically transfer listed at the start of the season?

It's to do with his reputation compared to the rest of the squad, if I remember rightly. The game decides to transfer list him based on wages/reputation and players in his position.

I keep getting offers of 20-25m for Rafael, and he got annoyed at me for not letting him talk to PSG.

when you only have him and Montoya to play there (well Smalling and Jones but they play elsewhere) not easy to get rid of.

instead of rejecting offers outright, simply suggest a ridiculously high amount to make the other team withdraw their offer

they usually don't. if you see them unhappy, just private chat with them with appropriate responses and they'll be happy again, assuming you didn't screw up the chat.

if i remember correctly, all i had to do to appease Rafael usually was convince him that we would win the title the same season.

5C913F786D861C9DCBB770E65E82CFA6D91F64DA

Rooneys first start in a while, after coming back from Injury. Penalty was odd, because we actually scored and play was pulled back.

E73BAEC84A2BFD63BF54F9CC3F5D0284262377A9

great win Cardiff are 4th.

just angered more of my team by giving them a (Deserved) hairdryer, considering the above results only beating Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 after being outplayed (they passed like barca...) when you got world class talent playing (not a load of newgens either, Balanta Januzaj and Barbosa only young players and they are not exactly Average)

Januzaj now Unhappy, and wanted by Dortmund. (not going to happen)

dont get why I had a sunday league game and a Tuesday cup game though, seems silly. still next match is away to 2nd placed Stoke, still early days, as it is first match in November but Stoke in 2nd.

Well. been playing as United now for last 6 weeks or so. Decided I wanted to rebuild the club fully from the ground up, with a totally new way of playing and a new recruitment policy.

First job, Moyes and all deadwood coaching staff/players out the door.

Outgoings:

Staff.

Moyes

Round

woods

Lumsden

Incomings:

Arthur albiston

Frank Arnesen

Rene Meulensteen

and marcos Fernando to replace the outgoing team.

I am still currently looking for an assistant who I think is up to scratch and develop the young team with my principles.

currently Rene is a stand in for this job.

Players.

Pretty much all players that were rated under 2.5 stars from the reserves and the under 18's.

players sold came to 13.06m

including

Lindegaard (loan)

Anderson (7m-Newcastle)

Buttner (4.2m-Wigan)

Young (1m-Everton)

Zaha (Loan-Chelsea)

Then came the initiation of the new transfer policy.

The first season would be spent on bringing in players where we were in major need of players.

transfers in included:

Paolo De ceglie (4.9m-juventus)

tom ince ( 8.5m-blackpool)

alessio Cragno (3.9m-brescia)

Nicolas gaitan (7.5m-benfica)

seamus coleman (14.75m-everton)

ruben pardo (20.5m-sociedad)

Milan Badelj (8.5m-hsv)

I figured these players would get me through with enough quality for 2-3 seasons whilst I rebuilt the next side of my transfer policy.

Next I set about setting up my scouting and recruitment.

Full evaluation of the scouting staff was completed and Fank Anesen was appointed DOF.

I set about appointing each scout a separate area of the world looking for the best players between the ages of 15-19 so that I could fill my youth team/reserves with plenty of quality whilst building my own

squad and way of playing.

I started out with a basic 4-4-2 with 2 attacking wingers, Standard united way of playing for now.

Team was as follows: 1st team/backups

De Gea - Johnstone

Rafael - Coleman

De Ceglie - Fabio

Jones - Evans

Vidic - Smalling

Carrick - Badelj

Fellaini - Cleverley

Rooney - Nani

Kagawa - Gaitan

Van persie - welbeck

Hernandez - Henriquez

The first season I ended up with the Community Shield, Premier League, and Fa cup.

a double in my first season was a good achievement, although I was unhappy at being knocked out of the champions league in the last 16. We held Barcelona to a 1-0 win at old Trafford in a really tight game,

I had the idea that although the first game was tight Barca wernt exactly fantastic, so I went slightly more attacking to announce my intentions in the competition and ended up getting thumped 4-0 in the

return leg.

Onto the second season.

Again, out went a number of players from both the first team, and the reserves who I had given a seasons chance to, to prove their worth to the club.

First team players who left included:

Patrice Evra

Rio Ferdinand

Tunnicliffe

Verela

Keane

Barmby

Macheda

lingaard

bebe

to free up a bit more wage budget I also sent out players who needed first team football experience that wouldn't be in my first team just yet.

these included

Zaha - Lyon

Cragno - Watford

Lindegaard- Tottenham

Ince-Reading

Henriquez-Fluminense

Micheal keane-Palace

My transfers In for this season would be mainly under 19 players who had massive 5 star potentials.

Alfonso Abete -Lazio 4.2m - ST

alessio Inverardi - Livorno 2.5m - AMC

Paulo leitao - Aves 325k - D/WBR

jack Bonar - partick thistle 1m - AMC

Elliot Gordon - millwall 1.3m - ST

kieron burgess - stoke 4m - DR

francois-marie Di Fraya - Ajaccio 4.3m - DC

Riccardo gigliotti - udinese 4.4m - Sw/DC

chumbinho - America(mg) 1.3m - ST/AML

Gabriel Barbosa - santos 1.3m - ST

also the second season in I am currently developing a 2nd more attacking tactic that includes only 1 central midfielder and a more attacking playmaker between him and the strikeforce.

Pardo has developed beautifully and is fast taking Fellainis place at CM, and Januzaj is making a fantastic Advanced playmaker, scoring goals and grabbing assists left, right and center.

The only problem I have this season is Van Persie and a bad run of form with no goals in 12 games. Abete/welbeck are making up for this but are no means as prolific as the main man.

Currently sat in 5th, 2 points from top placed Chelsea with Southampton, Tottenham and city all 1 point above me aswell. This season is looking to be really tight so I am hoping the squad develops

more and more this season and gels in the more attacking formation to nick games where needed and thrash the bottom teams in the league.

dont get why I had a sunday league game and a Tuesday cup game though, seems silly. .

get used to it... i think one my worst bits of fixture congestion was 5 games in 10 days, may have been 6 in 12 days though... absolutely rediculous at times as it messes up my policy of having specific cup and league teams :(

I keep getting offers of 20-25m for Rafael, and he got annoyed at me for not letting him talk to PSG.

when you only have him and Montoya to play there (well Smalling and Jones but they play elsewhere) not easy to get rid of.

Valencia is a pretty solid as right back to

Needed a striker as my main regen striker got injured for 5 months. Had a look around and decided to fork out 7.25m on Vietto. Playing great as a Poacher. Money well spent so far. Only bad thing is I couldnt get him to lower his 77k a week wages.

Wq63vdi.jpg

LXicPdQ.jpg

77k/week aint bad. I am struggling to keep alot of my players under 100k/week. Some ask for a lot more then that. Guess it should be expected given I purchased alot of top rated players my scouts sent my way and they turned into great players. But still, every 6months they want more money . Luckily I tutored a bunch of them well and tell them no due to there contract length and they apologise :D

My current season is insane.. Coming towards the end of December and the highest Prem scorer is actually one my center backs, Sven Schroter (You can guess what i almost typed by mistake :p )

When I say center back i use that term losely. Yes that is his position but he would make a great midfielder. He trained for CM but doesnt play there. He really weak physically but mentally and technically great. Strange Centre back, but does well as the Ball Playing Defender.

Anyways, this season, even though i changed nothing, he regularly on the end of Januzaj corners. Headers, volleys, scrambled goals, followups. He scored all types. He stole a Januzaj penalty to score a hatrick in one match. 15 league matches played, 14 goals scored... my striker has only scored 13 league goals. lol.

Januzaj .. 21 assists, 8 goals (6pens) from 15 league games.... 10 goals, 22 assists in 16(2) total appearances included a 94th minute world club cup final winner just moments ago

Finally.....

Januzaj - Ballon d'Or winner ... lovely start of the new year by winning that for the first time in his career. Not only did he win it, he was awarded more points then anyone else in the 9 years of it being awarded in my game history.

Schroter has runner up for it... going to be a shootout for who will be awarded it between them two next season if the pair keep playing how they currently are.

edit:

Lmao. And on the day he receives the award we play Spurs... 3-1 victory. Januzaj hatrick from 2 penalties and 1 freekick. Schroter stands no chance of he keeps this up.

77k/week aint bad. I am struggling to keep alot of my players under 100k/week. Some ask for a lot more then that.

what i do is tie them to to max length contracts early on and keep negotiating to get the lowest amount they will accept (ask them to sack troublesome agents as well). what happens is that they start to improve and play better, they will want new contracts but you just have to keep denying it and asking them to prove themselves on the pitch to appease them. rinse and repeat. i played until 2020ish before getting bored and Kagawa was my highest earner at 130k/w before i sold him, the next highest earner was De Gea at 100k.

what i do is tie them to to max length contracts early on and keep negotiating to get the lowest amount they will accept (ask them to sack troublesome agents as well). what happens is that they start to improve and play better, they will want new contracts but you just have to keep denying it and asking them to prove themselves on the pitch to appease them. rinse and repeat. i played until 2020ish before getting bored and Kagawa was my highest earner at 130k/w before i sold him, the next highest earner was De Gea at 100k.

Believe me, I do that often too. I now resorted to paying a little extra and putting a 3yr extension clause on them. Problem isn't really the old time players, it the regens. But that is no surprise because some of them are as good as messi/ronaldo and thus probably should be pushing 300k/wk if they moved. lol.

Infact I got 10 players on over 100k a week, and my 37yr old Ronaldo been negotiated down to 205k/wk, and he wants an improved contract which he totally is not getting. lol

oh, and no surprise they demand a lot of money to be fair. This season is the first time I have gone through the league with nothing but wins. after 28 matches I was declared champions. Still got 7 league matches to go and I scored 108 goals, still it going to be a push to take the league record for goals scored.

januzaj has truelly proved why he is world player of the year this year, 36(3) matches players, he has taken and scored 13 penalties and has 20 goals in total. And he smashed all previous records with 45 assists. 36 of which are in the 31 league matches played. He currently is the 2nd highest scorer at the club but no surprise with all them penalties.

I really struggle to win games. Possession usually north of 60%, shots for over 25 and shots against under 5 yet I end up losing games 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1. Even when I win its usually a struggle to get a 1-0.

Its frustrating as every so often I will score 5 or 6 for no reply

Mind you Valencia is doing Amazing. Averages a goal every 1.3 games but that's the only positive I have

@ Jance:

This is what I use and who when Im not dealing with injuries. First season.

RVP: Out for 5 months with a broken leg after scoring 11 goals in 7 games

Raf: 5 moths with torn ligaments.

Nani: First game back from injury he scored a hat trick

1e2xNiA.png

Don't suppose you could list the rest of your team instructions could you. Your tactic is simerlar to one of the two I've been trying to get to work but with little success so I was just wondering what I may be doing different to you

I have no idea how some of the tactics posted in this thread deliver the success they purport to.

I'm seeing MC combinations of BWM and BBM, wide midfield Roles both with Attack Duties, loads of Team Instructions......they should get utterly battered by the AI all over the pitch.

I agree. I know the new tactic creator is designed to make it easier but unless you are tactically aware then its still hard to do. I have used many downloaded tactics some with success some without. then I was challenged to create my own so I had a go! opted for a 442 with inside forwards due to players at my disposal. a dlf on support and a complete forward next to him 2 BWM in the centre one on defense one on support. went for this combo as it was successful in a tactic I had downloaded( unsure with this tactic as im conceding a fair few goals) a standard back four as im not very tactically minded so I went for the basic set up. have set up team instructions but left individual settings to a minimum. only changing my inside forwards to link up with the attack(dribble less,get further forward)

so far so good. I cant help but think its down to the simplicity of the tactic. not trying to over complicate things is working for me (so far anyway)

I have no problem scoring goals but I do concede an awful lot.so far in 40 games I have conceded 36 goals but have scored 114. I would like to reduce this but not really sure how?

anyway I have completely lost my train of thought????? so will leave you all in peace!

Hope you all had a good xmas, I've decided to start afresh on the new patch with United for my long term save. Started by clearing out some of the coaches and replacing them with a higher standard. I've also brought in Berardi and Zivkovic, while deliberating if I should go ahead with a £30M deal for Gundogan.

Hi guys not new to FM but never really got around to the whole regen thing as I lose interest in a save after about a season. Well I've managed about two seasons now and I seem to have a problem with the quality of my youth intake. My head of youth development tells me that a new batch of trialist have arrived, and after looking at them, most of them have about .5 star potential, with the best being 2.5 star. He recommends some players to offer contracts to on the basis of "filling out the u18 team", but says that none of them will ever be good enough for the first team.

This has happened twice(2 seasons) and initially I thought well, I'm just unlucky with my crappy youth intake, but apparently lightning has struck twice. I would imagine for a club of this stature, we would have some decent potential regens, with a couple of quality ones. I haven't changed the youth setup or coaches much, and my training facilities are all top notch. So I do not know what the problem is here. I think that maybe this could be due to my strong first team, thus making their potential seem minimal when compared, but at most the best players from my youth intake will just be a good BPL player

(just an example: I have a 15 year old regen from brazil, seems logical given a club like united right, but he only has .5 star potential.)

My advice. Get a top quality head of youth development and good u18 coaches. My head of youth is a guy called Roberto Samaden. 19 man mangement, 20 work with youngsters, 16 determin, 19 player ability, 20 potential, 18 discipline, 16 motivation They are the stats i look for even though i dont know how important each are.. lol

Scouts - get 19/20 in potential ability. Afteral you not really intrested in current ability too much. i do try for 20 in both, but i sacrifice current ability. I also do like to look for high determination but i doubt that really matters. Just a habit of mine.

I then set a scout for each region. I have gone years without finding a player in some of them because i tell them to only look at under 19s (sometimes i stretch it to 21 for the likes of african regions.) Minimium of 3 star potential. Generally i ignore 3star potential players but if they young with already good stats i try get them for cheap and progress them to see how goes.

I have had some really good players come through my youth team, think in my early years I had some 4-5star potential ones but alot of them ended up just being pretty solid but not amazing players, others have been very solid. Tempted to get an ingame thingy to find out what the actual PA of my players are to see how good my scouts reporting is.

Interestingly you can set your chairman to get your staff, safes a load of effort and he finds some superb ones.

World Club championship

791CB639729CC21FFB1035C5F09A21F08C7A1EBF

tackles won 100%

0939C1293BD6DDBE784603C5D66D3994D8704A5E

evans won the golden boot... 1 was a header from a corner, rest were from the ball coming back into the box from cleared corners.

get the newgen dats, and set scouts to scout that location when they come in, best way to grab the best newgens before they get contracts.

January reached at last :D 1-1 draw with newgens and young players at Middlesborough in FA cup, still i can beat em at home.

Having a few players back from injury has helped me return to the free flowing best.

99B6B956E56411D8BD3EDCA17425A82657CD51FF

C78AAE0C0EC95204B684F7F9CDBFE0652E184988

league at Halfway, no top scorers due to Injures to RVP and then Vidic.

I HATE playing Newcastle

C084D8D96E3E890460BC49706D7704C3D757B568

and Look what Arrived on Jan 1 :D

C8076FFFDA5AA9D6999A997220D4D2C14D6DF140

4FEB327B20F94244DBD55B6E8CF8C0D65F87B41F

BE15F2DA2477752DB2CBEFB5EBB905DE1B9C72FF

gave the newgen his Debut in the Dire FA cup match and the other 2 in the Leage cup

83525E75C70F203F7BA4E89853236F99C22FA436

in a very nice position as a result.

Doria also back from Loan, Giving me Evans, Jones, Smalling, Papadopolous, Doria, Balanta and Vidic :D

Started my first savegame on FM14 with Manchester United and won the treble. Also lost the Carling Cup (or whatever it`s called this days) final. Funny thing is I played all the 3 finals against Chelsea, won 2, lost 1.

Transfers in:

Davide Santon - €12M - needed a decent back-up for the RB position, even if Smalling and Jones can also play there when things get desperate.

Transfers out:

-

Community Shield

ManUtdvWigan_OverviewOverview.png

Nothing to say really, we were all over them, as expected. Glad to see Santon score on his debut.

Premier League

BarclaysPremierLeague_OverviewStages.png

Won it a lot easier than expected, I went on a 26 games unbeaten run from the start of the season, lost 6 out of the last 12 league games due to my focus switching on the Champions League. Best attack in the league and the 2nd best defensive record...not bad, I say. Would`ve liked to beat the points record, it just wasn`t possible, especially with the schedule I had ( away games to Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Newcastle in the last 8 games). Robin Van Persie ended up as the league`s goalscorer, with just 19 goals (7 penalties).

FA Cup

ManUtdvChelsea_OverviewOverview.png

Champions League

ManchesterUnited_FixturesSchedule.png

Was handed an easy group, won it without any problems, the only screw up came against Anderlecht, was 2-0 down after 20 minutes and then chased the equalizer for the entire game. I was quite lucky to avoid the big names until the semis, they just knocked each other out (Barca beating Juventus, Arsenal then beating Barcelona, Real beating PSG, only for PSG to get beaten by Chelsea). Was a bit lucky in the Bayern away game, game was heading for a 0-0 draw, took my chances, went all out-attack, brought in another striker (Welbeck) and he scored the winner in the 89th minute. And despite the scoreline, the final was fairly balanced, we just took our chances (set pieces, that is) better.

I used mostly two tactics throughout the season, 4-3-3 and 4-4-2, also switching to 4-2-3-1 if the situation required it, although I found it to be a bit too shaky at the back without the DM there. ( screenshot here http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll312/rutza_m/ManchesterUnited_TacticsTeam-2.png ).

Hi guys not new to FM but never really got around to the whole regen thing as I lose interest in a save after about a season. Well I've managed about two seasons now and I seem to have a problem with the quality of my youth intake. My head of youth development tells me that a new batch of trialist have arrived, and after looking at them, most of them have about .5 star potential, with the best being 2.5 star. He recommends some players to offer contracts to on the basis of "filling out the u18 team", but says that none of them will ever be good enough for the first team.

This has happened twice(2 seasons) and initially I thought well, I'm just unlucky with my crappy youth intake, but apparently lightning has struck twice. I would imagine for a club of this stature, we would have some decent potential regens, with a couple of quality ones. I haven't changed the youth setup or coaches much, and my training facilities are all top notch. So I do not know what the problem is here. I think that maybe this could be due to my strong first team, thus making their potential seem minimal when compared, but at most the best players from my youth intake will just be a good BPL player

(just an example: I have a 15 year old regen from brazil, seems logical given a club like united right, but he only has .5 star potential.)

The first thing i would say is you need to ignore the star ratings to get anywhere with your own youth. I have seen me getting a 2.5 star potential player in the youth intake who by the end of the season once he has been settled in the youth team and training with the coaches etc change to a 5 star potential . The stars are not accurate when you first get a youth intake, they will give a rough idea but they are not accurate at all !

By far the most important bit to look at is the report underneath the star rating , you will see a 2.5 guy sometimes have a report that he could become a "leading premiership midfielder" etc , that means he has great potential.

Don't get me wrong i rarely keep 0.5s although i look at them all carefully , if the stats in the RIGHT PLACES for his position look like they have scope i keep them , you will be amazed how many rubbish looking (based on star reports) players can turn into good players or at the very least players to sell around 20-23 for a good few million.

Obviously some years your intake is better than others but never trust those stars !!!!

Always have the best HOYD you can find and best youth coaches and facilities , there is so much scope in this game to mould your youngsters into what you want , it just takes a bit of time and patience mate !

Amazing how a few tweaks to tactics can make such a difference.

First 19 games of the season saw a record of W9 D8 L2. 35 goals scored and 20 conceded which works out at 1.8 a game scored and 1.05 conceded. This is skewed a bit by an unusual 6-0 win against Sunderland, without it 1.6 scored and 1.11 conceded a game. If I take out the Charity Shield game and the League Cup game against Middlesbrough as beating Championship sides should be easy it changes it further to 1.5 scored and 1.2 conceded a game.

So really not great.

So I tweaked my tactic to

264hso0.png

With my main tactic I basically just offset the striker to the right side of centre, the AMC to the left side of central and then dropped the Left sided MC to a Left Central DMC. Also made some changes to my set piece settings and since then my stats have been

P15 W15 D0 L0 F41 A6

Thats working out at Scoring 2.7 goals a game and conceding 0.4. So its massive improvement. I was so far behind from the first 19 that despite the run I'm not sure I can win the league but i'm back in the challenge and still in all the cups so I should get some silverwear and am no longer under threat of being sacked. And I'm not now relying on Valencia for all my goals, RvP is on fire and Rooney and Hernandez are scoring when playing up top. Welbeck hasn't been played up top yet as he has made the left wing his own.

Only issue I have now is my FB's are injury prone and players are getting way too many red cards often as second yellows. 7 Red cards already and 65 Yellow

How is Valencia playing as an IF? I`ve always gotten the best out of him with a Winger role on support duty.

He has played 19 as an IF and Scored 8 with 9 Assists and an Average Rating of 7.42

His scoring has dropped off (but been replaced by assists) since my fortunes switched around but that could be due to the fact he hasn't been getting a run in that role as much. With Rafa having been sent off twice and then missing further matches for Yellows and through Injury he has had to play a number of games at RB (and had to switch their half way through a game alot too)

How does everyone find Kagawa? I really can't get him to perform well in any of the AM positions. Rooney plays better in AMC, Welbeck in AML and AMR Valencia. And Nani and Adnan are more effective as replacements.

And when he does play he reacts badly to any instructions even when rest of the team respond positively

How does everyone find Kagawa? I really can't get him to perform well in any of the AM positions. Rooney plays better in AMC, Welbeck in AML and AMR Valencia. And Nani and Adnan are more effective as replacements.

And when he does play he reacts badly to any instructions even when rest of the team respond positively

I just rotate him with Januzaj as an AML, occasionally he plays AMC for me when RVP needs a rest as I retrained RVP to fit Lewandowski into my tactic. Kagawa is not spectacular, but he's does a job for me and can regularly get 10+ assists every season, a bit like what Park Ji-Sung used to do for the club.

Archived