FM14: Southampton F.C. - Gatecrashing the top table

Matthew Le God

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ward-Prowse looks excellent, like real life its getting him into the team. So many AMC options with him, Lallana, Lambert, Gaston.

Started my save, not got to any games yet but bought in Gaitan and Buttner on loan and got the Albanian cnetre-back from Lazio whos name I have forgotten.

Cana? He's a fantastic tutor.

I am struggling with the insane amount of philosophies put on my shoulders at Soton; especially I struggle to make the board happy with the number of signings from the chairman's nation and signing young players for the first team. Please help me;

1) Does this mean I can sign any player from the Italian league or just Italian nationality players? Or only players playing in Italy with an Italian passport? You can make an argument both ways by looking at the philosophy.

2) I signed Mitrovic and Januzaj and they have played regularly, yet my philosophy rating for "signing young players for the first team" is absolutely at the bottom and the board is very unhappy. Is it possibe that I cannt sign young players as "hot prospects"? Do they have to be "rotation" or higher pehaps?

I finished the first season in 8th place but the board are only satisfied due to these two philosophies being very low in confidence. So this summer (2014) I will try to use my budget (21M pounds) to correct these two.

I am struggling with the insane amount of philosophies put on my shoulders at Soton; especially I struggle to make the board happy with the number of signings from the chairman's nation and signing young players for the first team. Please help me;

1) Does this mean I can sign any player from the Italian league or just Italian nationality players? Or only players playing in Italy with an Italian passport? You can make an argument both ways by looking at the philosophy.

2) I signed Mitrovic and Januzaj and they have played regularly, yet my philosophy rating for "signing young players for the first team" is absolutely at the bottom and the board is very unhappy. Is it possibe that I cannt sign young players as "hot prospects"? Do they have to be "rotation" or higher pehaps?

I finished the first season in 8th place but the board are only satisfied due to these two philosophies being very low in confidence. So this summer (2014) I will try to use my budget (21M pounds) to correct these two.

Replying to myself here; when making an offer for a player, there is a square to the right giving some information about agents, extra fees etc. At the bottom in the square there is information of what philosophies purchasing this player would fulfil. I am still concerned about the squad status thing though.

Sucks that Gaston and Lallana aren't as comfortable playing in wider positions. 41221 is my bread and butter. Don't have the game yet but looking at the screenshots I'm thinking I'll have to play Osvaldo out wide if I use that formation.

What formations are people using? 4231 narrow looks like a good shout but I've never used that before. Kinda hesistant.

Sucks that Gaston and Lallana aren't as comfortable playing in wider positions. 41221 is my bread and butter. Don't have the game yet but looking at the screenshots I'm thinking I'll have to play Osvaldo out wide if I use that formation.

What formations are people using? 4231 narrow looks like a good shout but I've never used that before. Kinda hesistant.

4-2-3-1 with three central players behind the striker would probably work well with the squad - maybe even Lambert sitting in there behind Osvaldo. You could also tweak it manually to slightly asymmetrical and have one wide player and one in the channel. Hard to explain without an image - put the three in the centre, and then move one of the wider ones out to their wing, leaving one dead centre, one slightly to the side, and the other on the wing. Worked well for me with Southampton in FM2013

Started a career with Saints

Made one signing (Raja Nainggolan £3m up front and £10m over 48 months)

Sold Puncheon for £3.5m to Palace and got rid off some dead wood resulting in me bringing in £6.1 including money for Puncheon

Here iis my squad:

GK: Boruc/Gazzinaga

FB/CWB ®: Clyne/Chambers

FB/CWB (L): Shaw/Fox

CB: Loveren/Yoshida/Hoovield/Fonte

DMC/MC: Wanyama/Nainggolan/Schneiderlin/Cork

AM: Ramirez/Lallana/Ward Prowse/Davis

ST: Lambert/Osvaldo/Rodriguez/Sharp

So far I have played 3 league and 1 cup game. I have set up 3 tactics depending on who I am playing and if it's home or away

The tactics I have are:

4-2-3-1 (narrow) attacking at home

4-1-2-2-1 control away

3-5-2 attacking for when I am looking for a goal

Results so far

Saints 4-4 Everton

Fulham 0-2 Saints

Yeovil 1-2 Saints (CC2)

Saints 3-0 Newcastle

I will put up the three tactics in depth when I get chance. So far going really well

Cana? He's a fantastic tutor.

That is him, great mental stats and he would be a good tutor but he seems to have no interest in tutoring anyone.

Sure he used to be a DMC as well not a centre-back.

First thing I did was re-train them, they are rpetty comfortable there anyway so it wouldn't take them long to learn those positions.

Formation wise I've gone for a 4-2-3-1, with Lambert in the hole, Wanyama and Morgan in the DMC slots, Lallana and Gaston out wide. Hopefully Shaw and Clyne bombing on to provide the width.

Not sure if it will work though.

Started a career with Saints

Made one signing (Raja Nainggolan £3m up front and £10m over 48 months)

Sold Puncheon for £3.5m to Palace and got rid off some dead wood resulting in me bringing in £6.1 including money for Puncheon

Here iis my squad:

GK: Boruc/Gazzinaga

FB/CWB ®: Clyne/Chambers

FB/CWB (L): Shaw/Fox

CB: Loveren/Yoshida/Hoovield/Fonte

DMC/MC: Wanyama/Nainggolan/Schneiderlin/Cork

AM: Ramirez/Lallana/Ward Prowse/Davis

ST: Lambert/Osvaldo/Rodriguez/Sharp

So far I have played 3 league and 1 cup game. I have set up 3 tactics depending on who I am playing and if it's home or away

The tactics I have are:

4-2-3-1 (narrow) attacking at home

4-1-2-2-1 control away

3-5-2 attacking for when I am looking for a goal

Results so far

Saints 4-4 Everton

Fulham 0-2 Saints

Yeovil 1-2 Saints (CC2)

Saints 3-0 Newcastle

I will put up the three tactics in depth when I get chance. So far going really well

I have now tweaked my 3-5-2 with great effect and are currently using this tactic for all games.

I play with 2 centre backs. In front of them two I have a DMC and then a complete wing back on either side. Then in midfield I play with a Deep lying playmeaker and a box to box midfielder. The DLP is set to support and the BBM is on automatic. I then have an attacking midfielder ahead of them with two up top. One set as a complete forward and the other as a poacher.

GK: Boruc/Gazzinga

CB: Lovren/Yoshida/Hoodvield/Fonte

CWB ®: Clyne/Chambers

CWB (L): Shaw/Fox

DMC: Wanyama/Nainggolan

DLP: Schneiderin/Nainggolan

BBM: Nainggolan/Cork/Davis

AM: Ward-Prowse/Ramirez/Lallana

CF: Lambert/Osvaldo/Rodriquez

P: Osvaldo/Rodriquez/Sharp

Ramirez has struggled to get in the team as Ward-Prowse has been amazing. Clyne has been amazing in the CWB ® position. Currently sitting 2nd in the league. Here are my results so far:

Saints 4-4 Everton (Osvaldo 2, Lambert & Ward-Prowse)

Fulham 0-2 Saints (Lambert & Lallana)

Yeovil 1-2 Saints (CC2) (Ward-Prowse & Ramirez)

Saints 3-0 Newcastle (Osvaldo 2 & Lovren)

Saints 3-3 Palace (Lambert 2 & Osvaldo)

Norwich 2-3 Saints Lambert, Osvaldo & Shaw)

Saints 4-1 Palace (CC3) (Lambert 2, Rodriguez & Davis)

Swansea 2-4 Saints (Ward-Prowse, Osvaldo, Clyne & Lambert)

Saints 2-3 Man City (Osvaldo 2)

Arsenal 0-0 Saints

Liverpool 0-2 Saints (Lambert 2)

Huddersfield 1-3 Saints (CC4) (Rodriguez, Sharp, Ramirez)

Saints 2-0 West Brom (Lambert & Shaw)

Just got half way through the season and honda has arrived been very good in the middle for me with wanyama! Beat Chelsea 5-1 when they had 10 men! Sitting in 8th still, 4 points behind European places! Hoping to get in there! Anyone get a big transfer kitty for second season?

Not to brag, but I am doing very well (now in March 2015, sitting second in the PL after Arsenal). Major signings:

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Umtiti

Astori

Ander Herrera

Tyton (free, GK)

Ward-Prowse and Shaw are now capped and IMMENSE, Chambers not too shappy either with Clyne also close playing well.

I am using the "FULCRUM" tactic that can be found on these forums.

I have now tweaked my 3-5-2 with great effect and are currently using this tactic for all games.

I play with 2 centre backs. In front of them two I have a DMC and then a complete wing back on either side. Then in midfield I play with a Deep lying playmeaker and a box to box midfielder. The DLP is set to support and the BBM is on automatic. I then have an attacking midfielder ahead of them with two up top. One set as a complete forward and the other as a poacher.

GK: Boruc/Gazzinga

CB: Lovren/Yoshida/Hoodvield/Fonte

CWB ®: Clyne/Chambers

CWB (L): Shaw/Fox

DMC: Wanyama/Nainggolan

DLP: Schneiderin/Nainggolan

BBM: Nainggolan/Cork/Davis

AM: Ward-Prowse/Ramirez/Lallana

CF: Lambert/Osvaldo/Rodriquez

P: Osvaldo/Rodriquez/Sharp

Ramirez has struggled to get in the team as Ward-Prowse has been amazing. Clyne has been amazing in the CWB ® position. Currently sitting 2nd in the league. Here are my results so far:

Saints 4-4 Everton (Osvaldo 2, Lambert & Ward-Prowse)

Fulham 0-2 Saints (Lambert & Lallana)

Yeovil 1-2 Saints (CC2) (Ward-Prowse & Ramirez)

Saints 3-0 Newcastle (Osvaldo 2 & Lovren)

Saints 3-3 Palace (Lambert 2 & Osvaldo)

Norwich 2-3 Saints Lambert, Osvaldo & Shaw)

Saints 4-1 Palace (CC3) (Lambert 2, Rodriguez & Davis)

Swansea 2-4 Saints (Ward-Prowse, Osvaldo, Clyne & Lambert)

Saints 2-3 Man City (Osvaldo 2)

Arsenal 0-0 Saints

Liverpool 0-2 Saints (Lambert 2)

Huddersfield 1-3 Saints (CC4) (Rodriguez, Sharp, Ramirez)

Saints 2-0 West Brom (Lambert & Shaw)

Now playing on 14.0.3 and was a bit worried that the update may effect the tactics that was working well for me. Answer was no!

Sunderland 1-2 Saints

Saints 2-0 Chelsea

West Ham 2-2 Saints

Saints 2-0 Cardiff

Stoke 0-0 Saints

Saints 0-1 Chelsea (CC Quarter Final)

Man Utd 4-0 Saints

Saints 1-1 Hull

Saints 2-0 Spurs

So after 18 games I have dropped down to 5th. Man City 5 pints clear at top then 2nd-5th are seperated by 2 points. Lambert currently top of the Prem Top Scorers chart with 12. Nainggolan has been out for about 7 weeks now so will add more strength to the team once he is back

The update certainly has cut down the amount of goals in a game & improved defensive play

Not got screenshots of Southampton players in the future but I do find it refreshing to see that a lot of the Southampton players have had big improvements to their Determination. Luke Shaw and James Ward-Prowse are two players I recall have very poor determination in FM13, now both have 16+. Easier to train them up this way I feel.

I do have FM14 now but I don't want to start using Southampton until the full game is released.

Now playing on 14.0.3 and was a bit worried that the update may effect the tactics that was working well for me. Answer was no!

Sunderland 1-2 Saints

Saints 2-0 Chelsea

West Ham 2-2 Saints

Saints 2-0 Cardiff

Stoke 0-0 Saints

Saints 0-1 Chelsea (CC Quarter Final)

Man Utd 4-0 Saints

Saints 1-1 Hull

Saints 2-0 Spurs

So after 18 games I have dropped down to 5th. Man City 5 pints clear at top then 2nd-5th are seperated by 2 points. Lambert currently top of the Prem Top Scorers chart with 12. Nainggolan has been out for about 7 weeks now so will add more strength to the team once he is back

The update certainly has cut down the amount of goals in a game & improved defensive play

Quick update

Villa 1-0 Saints

Saints 1-1 Fulham - Lambert

Forest 1-2 Saints (FA Cup 3) - Sharp & Ward-Prowse

Everton 2-3 Saints - Osvaldo 3

Lambert now out for 5 weeks. Trying to signed Batefmi Gomis on a free but his wage demands are too high. He is after £57k a week and £17 app fee. Too much for an ageing player

dunphs - be interesting to know what formation you are playing cos you seem to be getting great results.

Playing 4-2-3-1

GK: Boruc

LB: Shaw

RB: Clyne

CB: Castan

CB: Lovren

CM: Wanyama

CM: Schneiderlin/ Honda

AM: Lambert/ Prowse

AM: Lallana

AM: Gaitan/ Ramirez

ST: Osvaldo

Just got knocked of the FA Cup by Arsenal 5-3 and lost to Newcastle 3-2

Against the big teams I play counter/ attacking depending on home or away! The smaller teams and play control and attacking, dependent on score and home or away again.

Don't think I will get Europe this season, but next year going to push big, need some money though and to sign some big young players! I'm looking at Herrera, Will Hughes and I need a striker, any suggestions?

Off to a great start. 4231 is working nicely. Playing good football, scoring goals and not conceding many. 2nd in the league after 7 games (4 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss).

Results so far:

v Sunderland 3-1 (Fonte, Osvaldo x2)

at Chelsea 2-3 (Lallana, Osvaldo)

CC at Peterborough 3-1 (Shaw, Osvaldo, Lambert)

v Tottenham 1-1 (Lallana)

v Swansea 0-0

at Liverpool 3-0 (Davis x2, Shaw)

CC at QPR 2-1 (Hooiveld, Rodriguez)

at Hull 2-0 (Lambert x2)

v Norwich 4-0 (Lallana, Lovren, Osvaldo x2)

Great thread. I'm searching for a Premier League team to try and having reading through this and outside articles on Soton, I find them likeable and with a really promising squad and fantastic coaches. What player roles and team instructions are you guys using?

I've been using two systems, mostly 4231 with 41221 as an alternate.

With the 4231 I play fluid control. I have Clyne as WB-a on the right, DC-d on the centre backs and WB-s for the left back. CM-d (Wanyama) and DLP-s (Schneiderlin) as the midfield pairing and I've been going back and forth between AF-a and CF-a for the striker. The three AMCs depends on who's playing there. Attacking Midfielder, Advanced Playmaker and Shadow Striker are all viable options for the players in the squad. Lallana, Ramirez, Ward-Prowse, Davis and Rodriguez can all player there so there's a number of combinations to choose from.

41221 on balanced and standard. To be honest it's not a great fit for the squad due to a lack of natural wide players but Osvaldo has had some joy as an IF-a on the left when I've used it. Ramirez and Lallana can play out there as well but when the full game comes out I'll be buying a proper wide player. Didn't focus on transfers for the BETA because I'm going to start over anyway but someone like Gaitan looks like he could be good value.

Playing 4-2-3-1

GK: Boruc

LB: Shaw

RB: Clyne

CB: Castan

CB: Lovren

CM: Wanyama

CM: Schneiderlin/ Honda

AM: Lambert/ Prowse

AM: Lallana

AM: Gaitan/ Ramirez

ST: Osvaldo

Just got knocked of the FA Cup by Arsenal 5-3 and lost to Newcastle 3-2

Against the big teams I play counter/ attacking depending on home or away! The smaller teams and play control and attacking, dependent on score and home or away again.

Don't think I will get Europe this season, but next year going to push big, need some money though and to sign some big young players! I'm looking at Herrera, Will Hughes and I need a striker, any suggestions?

Tried to get Honda but he ended up going to Marseille. How is Gaitan doing in that position?

I only got Javi Garcia on loan from Man City since there's no natural DM in the team. Also, did anyone have any luck selling Guly do Prado in the first season? And Billy Sharp? Was only able to loan him.

Tried to get Honda but he ended up going to Marseille. How is Gaitan doing in that position?

I only got Javi Garcia on loan from Man City since there's no natural DM in the team. Also, did anyone have any luck selling Guly do Prado in the first season? And Billy Sharp? Was only able to loan him.

Gaitan has been so good! Scored a few and got a few assists! Neither left on a transfer but both on loan! Can't wait for second season!

Quick update

Villa 1-0 Saints

Update

Newcastle 0-0 Saints

Saints 2-1 Swansea (FA Cup 4) - Ramirez & Chambers

Saints 5-0 Norwich - Osvaldo 3, Lambert & Schneiderlin

Saints 2-1 Swansea - Osvaldo & O.G

Palace 0-2 Saints - Ramirez & Osvaldo

Man City 1-1 Saints - Clyne (Wanyama Sent off)

Saints 2-1 Brighton (FA Cup 5) - Rodriguez & Lambert

Saints 0-0 Arsenal

Currently 3rd after 27 games. 9 points off Man City at top & 8 behind Man Utd who are 2nd. 6 points seperate me in 3rd and Chelsea in 6th

Quick update

Villa 1-0 Saints

Update

Newcastle 0-0 Saints

Saints 2-1 Swansea (FA Cup 4) - Ramirez & Chambers

Saints 5-0 Norwich - Osvaldo 3, Lambert & Schneiderlin

Saints 2-1 Swansea - Osvaldo & O.G

Palace 0-2 Saints - Ramirez & Osvaldo

Man City 1-1 Saints - Clyne (Wanyama Sent off)

Saints 2-1 Brighton (FA Cup 5) - Rodriguez & Lambert

Saints 0-0 Arsenal

Currently 3rd after 27 games. 9 points off Man City at top & 8 behind Man Utd who are 2nd. 6 points seperate me in 3rd and Chelsea in 6th

Saints 1-2 Liverpool

Saints 1-4 Man Utd (FA Cup 6) - Yoshida

West Brom 3-3 Saints - Yoshida, Clyne & Nainggolan

Chelsea 3-1 Saints

Champions League bid starting to fade

Saints 1-2 Liverpool

Saints 1-4 Man Utd (FA Cup 6) - Yoshida

West Brom 3-3 Saints - Yoshida, Clyne & Nainggolan

Chelsea 3-1 Saints

Champions League bid starting to fade

Saints 2-1 Sunderland - Shaw & Ramirez

Saints 0-1 West Ham

Cardiff 1-3 Saints - Rodriguez, Nainggolan & Lambert

Saints 0-1 Stoke

Off to a great start. 4231 is working nicely. Playing good football, scoring goals and not conceding many. 2nd in the league after 7 games (4 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss).

Results so far:

v Sunderland 3-1 (Fonte, Osvaldo x2)

at Chelsea 2-3 (Lallana, Osvaldo)

CC at Peterborough 3-1 (Shaw, Osvaldo, Lambert)

v Tottenham 1-1 (Lallana)

v Swansea 0-0

at Liverpool 3-0 (Davis x2, Shaw)

CC at QPR 2-1 (Hooiveld, Rodriguez)

at Hull 2-0 (Lambert x2)

v Norwich 4-0 (Lallana, Lovren, Osvaldo x2)

Update:

at Man City 1-4 (Ward-Prowse)

v Aston Villa 3-1 (Lambert, Osvaldo, Lovren)

CC at Arsenal 0-3

at Newcastle 2-1 (Lambert x2)

v Fulham 0-0

at Arsenal 0-1

at Crystal Palace 1-0 (Osvaldo)

5th in the league after 13 games. My 3 defeats have been away to Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal so I'm pleased with that. Lovren, Clyne and Shaw have been outstanding.

I just thought I'd post my my save, I've been having a superb time. I've bought or sold nobody, kept the same squad. I was trying to hunt someone suitable down but didn't really find anyone that would improve the squad.

I've used a 4-2-3-1 formation most of the time changing player roles and player and team tactics depending on the opposition, I've also used 4-1-2-2-1 in away games where I am struggling or playing better opposition. It's been going great, here are my results so far:

D Arsenal 0-0 SAINTS

W SAINTS 1-0 Fulham - Ward-Prowse

W SAINTS 3-2 Accrington Stanley (CC) - Osvaldo 2, Rodriguez

W Crystal Palace 0-1 SAINTS - Yoshida

W SAINTS 4-0 West Ham - Lambert 2, Fonte, Wanyama

W SAINTS 3-1 Cardiff - Lambert, Fonte, OG

W Watford 1-2 SAINTS AET (CC) - Lambert, Ward-Prowse

W Hull City 0-2 SAINTS - Lambert 2

W West Brom 1-3 SAINTS - Osvaldo 2, Lallana

W SAINTS 3-2 Sunderland - Lambert, Hoiveld, Ramirez

My best team is:

GK Boruc

DL Shaw

DR Clyne

DC Lovren

DC Fonte

BWM Wanyama

MC Schneiderlin

AMC Lallana

AMC Ramirez

SS Lambert

AF Osvaldo

ISSUES - Osvaldo has been a bit crap, in the last game I gave him a talking to before the game and he scored a brace. Hopefully now he's off the mark in the league he'll get scoring, if not I'll have to change how I use him.

BEST PLAYERS - Fonte has been my star CB, better than Lovren. Shaw and Clyne have been immense as overlapping fullbacks and often get assists and high ratings and Wanyama has been a beast in midfield, he wins everything. Lambert is top scorer and ideal in that shadow striker role.

AREAS TO IMPROVE - I really need another CB, the back up just isn't good enough, another more creative AMC would be good as well.

THE REAL TEST - I have to play Man City twice, Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea in a row soon... It'll be interesting to see how those 5 games go.

Really enjoying this, well it's hard not to when you are winning, but I've taken things slow and make sure I prepare for each game properly and set up to face my opposition without drastically changing my shape.

It's been good reading others post on here as well, just to get an idea of how people are playing. Up the Saints.

Saints 0-1 West Ham

Saints 0-1 Stoke

Don't worry if you are having screenshot upload issues. What are your team instructions you have applied to your tweak 3-5-2 formation??

Saints 0-1 West Ham

Saints 0-1 Stoke

Got to last game of Season. Currently 3 points behind 4th placed Spurs and play Spurs away in the final game. They have +23 goal difference and I have +22. If I beat them I will finish 4th as I've scored more than them. Still in danger of finishing 6th as Newcastle are 1 point behind me

Got to last game of Season. Currently 3 points behind 4th placed Spurs and play Spurs away in the final game. They have +23 goal difference and I have +22. If I beat them I will finish 4th as I've scored more than them. Still in danger of finishing 6th as Newcastle are 1 point behind me

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!

Spurs 0-1 Saints.

Proper smash and grab. Got battered. Osvaldo scored on 11mins, Nainggolan sent off after 38mins then Wanyama sent off after 77mins. Held on....................just

Champions League here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not got screenshots of Southampton players in the future but I do find it refreshing to see that a lot of the Southampton players have had big improvements to their Determination. Luke Shaw and James Ward-Prowse are two players I recall have very poor determination in FM13, now both have 16+. Easier to train them up this way I feel.
Determination is not important for player development, its all about Ambition and Professionalism

What type of team settings do you give them?

Do you also play wider to get your 3 AMs to move onto wings or solely let the FBs do the wing-work?

I play this formation against the weaker and similar ability teams and get my width from my full backs by ticking the look for overlap team instruction. It's very successful. I've also got Wanyama set as a Ball Winning Midfielder. Against stronger teams or in tricky away fixtures I suggest playing a more defensive narrow 4-1-2-2-1 formation, I've had superb results again the top teams with this.

what role is everyone playing Osvaldo?

Bit late to the party here, but Complete Forward (support) is working well for me - although I change to TM (s) if I feel he's not involved enough. No tweaks.

How is Jay Rod on this one ?

A good impact sub for me but moans quite a bit

Thanks.

And finally...your mentality and fluidity? I just wanna see if i have the same success with your tactic even though im not 100% sure ive replicated it correctly...a download link would be much appreciated too if you get the chance pal.

Retain Possession

Pass into Space

Look for overlap

Hassle Opponents

Be more disciplined

Archived