FM14: Southampton F.C. - Gatecrashing the top table

Matthew Le God

Determination is not important for player development, its all about Ambition and Professionalism

I'm pretty sure that more determined players are more likely to fulfil their potential.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bit late to the party here, but Complete Forward (support) is working well for me - although I change to TM (s) if I feel he's not involved enough. No tweaks.

A good impact sub for me but moans quite a bit

That'll be his Burnley roots :p

Just finished my first season, disappointing to say the least! Finished 9th, but dropped so many points from winning positions! Was beating Arsenal 2-0 and 3-2 to draw 3-3! Beating Everton 2-1 to draw 2-2 and beating Man United 1-0 to draw 2-2!Performed well against the big teams! Went 9 games unbeaten at the end of the season but drew a few of those!

Going to clear some dead wood this season, Honda has been awful for me! He will be gone! Got 16 million transfer budget! Going to buy a few players! Need some experience! Any suggestions?

Other than that! Im happy with the formation, hoping for Europe this season! Shaw and Ward Prowse are turning into quality ballers and this season so will Callum Chambers, looked at some regens I have got, have two quality 5* coming through!

Hows everyone elses season going?

I'm currently third in March and playing some really nice football. Ward-Prowse is developing really well and I think he'll be a star in this year's game. Where do you play Honda? Personally, I think Saints' midfield needs nothing doing to it for the moment with Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Lallana, JWP and Gaston.

Chambers has developed a little for me but hasn't had much game time as Clyne has been unplayable for most of the season. Who are your other potential stars? Apparently for me Jack Stephens is 3.5* (leading Prem CB) and Ryan Seager is a 3* (good Prem striker). Anyone else I've missed?

I'm currently third in March and playing some really nice football. Ward-Prowse is developing really well and I think he'll be a star in this year's game. Where do you play Honda? Personally, I think Saints' midfield needs nothing doing to it for the moment with Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Lallana, JWP and Gaston.

Chambers has developed a little for me but hasn't had much game time as Clyne has been unplayable for most of the season. Who are your other potential stars? Apparently for me Jack Stephens is 3.5* (leading Prem CB) and Ryan Seager is a 3* (good Prem striker). Anyone else I've missed?

Man City want Clyne on my game, they have offered £8 million, if I get over £12 I might accept and throw Chambers in the deep end!

I played him in CM with either Wanyama or Schniderlin but he was just unhappy from the start! Gaitan was amazing! But I am looking for a new Goalkeeper as Gazzinga and me fell out and Boruc was hit and miss!

Great OP :thup:

Thinking of starting a Saints save...

2 questions:

- Is the Chairman mad? How on earth are you to fulfil these expectations with a 4m budget???

- So I understand that there are no offensive wide options of any note?

Was talking about the other expectations. Sign youngsters for first team, sign high profile players, sign Italians, play possession based and attacking with mediocre team in this division.

Sounds a bit much to me and looking at how much impact these board promises had so far on the Beta, they scare me off the Saints a bit.

Great OP :thup:

Thinking of starting a Saints save...

2 questions:

- Is the Chairman mad? How on earth are you to fulfil these expectations with a 4m budget???

- So I understand that there are no offensive wide options of any note?

Sign youngsters for first team, sign high profile players, sign Italians, play possession based and attacking with mediocre team in this division.

Sounds a bit much to me and looking at how much impact these board promises had so far on the Beta, they scare me off the Saints a bit.

If you're not particularly ambitious you can go for a mid-table finish (which includes finishing upper bottom half), which is easily achievable with the squad you have.

9x2g.png

They only have a small amount for transfers at the start of FM14 because they spent...

- £15m on Osvaldo

- £12.5m on Wanyama

- £8.5m on Lovren

...in the summer of 2013 in real life. You can't get to spend that £36m again.

To free up some more cash sell Hooiveld, Sharp, Fox, Tadanari Lee, Martin, Forte, Guly Do Prado.

The squad is young and many of the players have very high potential which you can develop.

Pochettino's system doesn't use wide midfielders, the three behind the striker are narrow and the width comes from very attacking fullbacks: Luke Shaw and Nathaniel Clyne. Lallana, Ramirez and Rodriguez can play wide if you want to use a different system.

I agree that the current quality and potential are interesting.

As I said, I was more worried about the board philosophies. As three of them are transfer-related I would expect that the board expect me to make signings which fit them and fulfilling three requirements each season seems very difficult, even more as in the first window you won't be able to make any major further transfers.

Haven't seen any other club with five philosophies to be adhered to.

Just started my second season, bought The Ox and Vlad Chirches and also Denswil from Ajax but loaned him back for the season! Sold Clyne for 12m!

Chelsea want Schneiderlin but unless I can get a decent CM to replace him before the deadline he aint going anywhere! I was thinking of Illaramendi but not sure? Tried to sign Diego but he was just too demanding for wages, wanting £160k a week and wouldnt go below 90k! Shame as he is a top baller!

Just played my first game of the season against Norwich and beat them 5-2! Gaston Ramirez x3 and Osvaldo x2

Haven't got a bad run of games to come - Swansea, Brentford, Newcastle, Stoke and Arsenal! Very winnable games!

Hows everyone else doing?

I agree that the current quality and potential are interesting.

As I said, I was more worried about the board philosophies. As three of them are transfer-related I would expect that the board expect me to make signings which fit them and fulfilling three requirements each season seems very difficult, even more as in the first window you won't be able to make any major further transfers.

Haven't seen any other club with five philosophies to be adhered to.

Have you tried convincing them to drop any of them? I discovered the other day that you can see how passionate the board is with certain philosophies and that the less passionate ones can be dropped relatively easily.

I don't have experience with Southampton's board, but on my Man City save they were "Highly passionate" (or whatever it says) about Attacking Football whereas it was only Moderate about "High Profile Signings" so I convinced them to drop the High Profile Signings because I prefer to sign younger players (although I later signed Lewandowski which would probably fit into their High Profile quota, but w/e).

You could maybe get the board to drop 2/3 of those philosophies. You can also add your own, so perhaps drop the signing aspects of it all and say you'll focus strongly on other areas? If this is what they want (taking it from the post above):

Sign youngsters for first team, sign high profile players, sign Italians, play possession based and attacking with mediocre team in this division.

Then you can probably convince them to drop one or two of the first three there. The other two shouldn't really be a problem. It's easy to attack with a team like Soton, they're built for attacking with those players. Drop one/two of the signing things and tell them you'll focus on getting youths into the first team (a rather easy prospect with Chambers, Clyne, Shaw and JWP)? Also you could combine those philosophies and sign young Italians for the first team quite easily...

Just trying to suggest ways to make it easier for you :)

I'm pretty sure that more determined players are more likely to fulfil their potential.

Nope. If I remember it right, determination responds to in-match events apart from making up a player's personality. As stated by Cleon.

Its not "sign Italians", its sign players of any nationality from the Italian leagues.

I disagree. I think it is Italians, not players from the Italian league.

Of you click on "Make offer", to the right on the screen you have a lot of information about the deal. At the bottom, it should say something along the lines of "Signing this players fulfils the following philosophies: xx" etc. Something like that.

Having said that, at least in the beta, the board is widely inconsistent about their evaluation of how I follow these philosophies. Sometimes they are very upset for no reason about the number of young first team players I have bought despite having signed Mitrovic, Januzaj, Gabriel Barbosa, Kyriakos Papadopolous etc. Maybe these philosophies have been tweaked in recent updates.

Nope. If I remember it right, determination responds to in-match events apart from making up a player's personality. As stated by Cleon.

It turns out you are correct so I retract my earlier statement and apologise to whoever I owe an apology to :D:)

Anyone thought of selling Schneiderlin?

Spurs keep offering me 15 million for him. Not sure of his true worth, and also any potential replacements of a similar quality. Got Honda coming in on a free, Ward-Prowse and cork are competent replacements till then?

Hi rastaman,

I have been getting the same offer for Schneidelin but from Barcelona,personally think its good money,but am having problems finding a replacement. I am two games into season one,have won both 2-0 against Newcastle,Lambert with both goals and 4-0 against Villa away,another two for lambert and one each for Ward Prowse and Oswaldo. Playing a 4-2-3-1 formation. Have inly made one signing in Balanta,could do with another midfieder and attacking midfielder though.

Nice team - how have Herrera and Mitrovic developed for you?

Mitrovic finished as the PL top scorer in 16/17 season, although on 17 goals. His attributes are amazing, he is especially good in the air. A very allround striker, weaknesses only niggling injuries and pace 14 (which is not poor, but still). Many clubs interested and I have been offered up to 30M pounds, which I think is 15M too little, so they have been rebuffed.

Ander Herrera excelled in the beta as the central midfielder (advanced playmaker) in a three MC midfield. Scoring many goals. Problem is that his formed seemed to vary with the patch updates :-( I hate when the game changes (gets patched) in the middle of a save. Barca want him now but I rejected 23M. I bought him from Real Madrid for 12M a year after he signed for them from Bilbao for 30M.

Ward-Prowse is better though, especially Ward-Prowse' set piece skills (Free kicks 19 and counting) and his finishing.

Top of the table with this team (March 2017):

Szczesny

Chambers-Papadopolous-Otamendi-Shaw

Sven Bender

WardProwse, Ander Herrera, Schneiderlin

Lukaku, Mitrovic

3 CM, no wingers, two strikers

Chambers and Ward-Prowse are amazing, nurture them well.

Do you mind sharing your tactics at all?

Thanks.

Hello,

I'm beginning my second season with the Saints following a very successful first season, finishing second (one point ahead of both third and fourth, it came down to the last day).

My concern right now is that Shaw and Chambers haven't developed too much over the year, despite the former being the first choice left back. Have you guys found the need to buy a tutor for them? Even this has been a problem as the players both have a fairly high reputation. Have they developed fine with their mediocre determination levels?

Hello,

I'm beginning my second season with the Saints following a very successful first season, finishing second (one point ahead of both third and fourth, it came down to the last day).

My concern right now is that Shaw and Chambers haven't developed too much over the year, despite the former being the first choice left back. Have you guys found the need to buy a tutor for them? Even this has been a problem as the players both have a fairly high reputation. Have they developed fine with their mediocre determination levels?

Hi Valo

Would you mind share your tactic?

I have a really bad start.. the defense is slumping...

I am trying to play 4231 with 3 AMC while Lambert at the middle as Shadow striker.

Schneiderlin and Wanyema are the MC with the role Box to box and Ball Winning respectively.

the 4 DF are Shaw Balanta Lovren Clyne as fullback and Center Defender.

I set up similarly to you, but had Wanyama and Schneiderlin as Defensive Midfielders (defend) and (support) respectively. Gave the attacking midfield trio more license to roam without having to worry about leaving the back line exposed, as Wanyama and Schneiderlin sat in front of the defence.

A box-to-box midfielder and a ball-winning midfielder means both will be out of position a lot as Wanyama will chase the ball down and Schneiderlin will be all over the place. You need at least one of them to sit and protect the back four.

I set up similarly to you, but had Wanyama and Schneiderlin as Defensive Midfielders (defend) and (support) respectively. Gave the attacking midfield trio more license to roam without having to worry about leaving the back line exposed, as Wanyama and Schneiderlin sat in front of the defence.

A box-to-box midfielder and a ball-winning midfielder means both will be out of position a lot as Wanyama will chase the ball down and Schneiderlin will be all over the place. You need at least one of them to sit and protect the back four.

Cool.. So how about the defense line? Just CD for both DC?

Besides, if we play 3AMC, should we play wild or narrow? I am thinking we have 2 strikers with good heading, more crossing definitely benefits.

thanks!

Plain CD is what I used, and the full-backs sets as Wing-backs, either support or attack depending on the opposition. I played wider, because otherwise I found the three AMCs would just get in each others way, when they need to create space. Clyne and Shaw will bomb forward and supply the wide threat.

For me the philosophies seem broken, especially regarding my signings. Super happy or super unhappy for no reason even if I really signed the kind of players they request. At contract negotiations so far, I have not been able to change any of the transfer policies. I guess the board/chairman "strongly agrees" with some philosophies and they cannot be changed.

I really think it is a nice touch with the philosophies and think they add an RPG element to the game, which I like. I just do not wanna get fired for not understanding how signing Umtiti, Januzaj, Mitrovic and Ander Herrera does NOT satisfy the need to sign young players for the first team (even if the transfer offer screen say they fulfill it)

just starting my 3rd season, sold smalling for 27 million to chelsea. replacments are kurt zouma or marquinhos, both going to cost 34 million and 70k a week, who do you think i should go for? also psg have offerd 36 million for wanyama but i cant find a replacment. hes a 4.5 star for me

So I've just started a new save, and introduced myself to the team. Always spend about two-three hours gametime before pushing continue the first time. :p Anyone use anything similar in changing all aspects of your new team?

Anyway; after some droodles on paper, I think this is the main look I'll try to maintain throughout the season:

n0m3.jpg

Looking to use Schneiderlin and Ramirez as pivots, with Lambert and Lallana with threatening runs, and Wanyama supporting the defence.

Now to push the continue button for the first time!

I've started a, what will probably stop-gap, save with Southampton - and I'm enjoying it!

I'm just seven days, and a friendly in Seville, away from the big Barclays Premier League kick-off. First up I have Sp*rs at White Hart Lane, a game which I'm looking forward to. My standout performers from pre-season have most certainly been Jay Rodríguez and Morgan Schneiderlin; the former scoring a bagful of goals, while the latter has fulfilled his all-action midfield role very well.

One ongoing issue that I have is trying to get my strikers, either Rickie Lambert or Pablo Osvaldo, to get involved with the build-up of play. I play a 4-2-3-1 formation, varying between narrow and wide 'threes' behind the lone striker. Both are deployed as a 'Deep Lying Forward - Attack' and I presume they lack influence in the build-up of moves due to the amount of bodies directly in behind them. I will have to experiment with a 4-3-3 formation, unless someone can offer a valid alternative.

Have the board dropped some of the philosophies? Dont want to be bound by signing Italians as I want to build a team of local/national players.

You can discuss philosophies you will be judged on by discussing them with the board. One option which took advantage of was " I do not wish to be judged on these types of signings" - The board complied.

Things I've picked up on my saints save

1. Coming 4th in December 1st season, approached the board and they gave me 35 mil to play with (Australian, so 20-25mil pounds?)

2. 2nd season, Everton, Chelsea and hull offered 25 million after negotiation for lambert (for a 31 year old, good money)

3. Ramirez - man city - 50 million end first season, and as I had chamberlain, WP, Honda, lallana, osvaldo, j-rod and two yooungsters I could do without him.

4. Morgan S - Real Madrid has offered me silly money (55 million, so 40mil pound) but I don't want to lose him and I don't need the money.

Cana is a cheap, great signing first season, and second season on he can stick around for the tutoring. WP, chambers and shaw all have 20 determination now, and (obviously luck of the draw) has decent coaching ratings.

I started with the narrow 4231, but evolved into a 352 and a normal deep 4231. Works well, but my strikers don't score after I sold lambert. The one regret.

i'm putting my save on hold until they fix the issues with fullbacks as my formation is set up to play with the fullbacks providing the width.

Also does anyone have trouble with number of coaches? I;ve got rid of loads but it wont let me have anymore than 9 and I don;t even have 9 staff in total yet it won;t let me sign more coaches?

Started a Saints game after enjoying their 4-1 win at the weekend. About to kick off the season, having brought in Davide Astori (£9.5m) Stefan Johansen (£1.1m) and Jonathan Dos Santos (free). I let Steven Davis go for £3.6m and Billy Sharp has gone on loan, couldn't get any proper offers for him, also sent Gazzaniga on loan for the season and a bunch of youngsters. Trying a lopsided formation like this:

GK - Boruc

DR - Clyne

DC - Lovren

DC - Astori

DL - Shaw

MCr - Schneiderlin (BBM, S)

MCl - Wanyama (BWM, D)

ML - Lallana (WM, A)

AMR - Ramirez (IF, S)

AMCl - Rodriguez (SS, A)

ST - Lambert (TM, S)

It was pretty successful in pre-season. First game against Villa, should be a decent indication of where we are I guess.

Archived