FM14: Southampton F.C. - Gatecrashing the top table

Matthew Le God

Things I've picked up on my saints save

1. Coming 4th in December 1st season, approached the board and they gave me 35 mil to play with (Australian, so 20-25mil pounds?)

2. 2nd season, Everton, Chelsea and hull offered 25 million after negotiation for lambert (for a 31 year old, good money)

3. Ramirez - man city - 50 million end first season, and as I had chamberlain, WP, Honda, lallana, osvaldo, j-rod and two yooungsters I could do without him.

4. Morgan S - Real Madrid has offered me silly money (55 million, so 40mil pound) but I don't want to lose him and I don't need the money.

Cana is a cheap, great signing first season, and second season on he can stick around for the tutoring. WP, chambers and shaw all have 20 determination now, and (obviously luck of the draw) has decent coaching ratings.

I started with the narrow 4231, but evolved into a 352 and a normal deep 4231. Works well, but my strikers don't score after I sold lambert. The one regret.

Who did you use to tutor JWP, Shaw and Chambers mate?

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Things I've picked up on my saints save

1. Coming 4th in December 1st season, approached the board and they gave me 35 mil to play with (Australian, so 20-25mil pounds?)

2. 2nd season, Everton, Chelsea and hull offered 25 million after negotiation for lambert (for a 31 year old, good money)

3. Ramirez - man city - 50 million end first season, and as I had chamberlain, WP, Honda, lallana, osvaldo, j-rod and two yooungsters I could do without him.

4. Morgan S - Real Madrid has offered me silly money (55 million, so 40mil pound) but I don't want to lose him and I don't need the money.

Cana is a cheap, great signing first season, and second season on he can stick around for the tutoring. WP, chambers and shaw all have 20 determination now, and (obviously luck of the draw) has decent coaching ratings.

I started with the narrow 4231, but evolved into a 352 and a normal deep 4231. Works well, but my strikers don't score after I sold lambert. The one regret.

WTF??? That ridiculous I am going to report that as a bug :lol:

All 3 mate? If so he's a must have.

Yep over the first two seasons, although I had retrained jwp as a dm, don't know if that's why I had the option for Cana to tutor him.

Sometimes I do stupid things that I regret immensely. This latest time I wanted JWP to pick up a couple of Morgans PPM's (dictates tempo, killer pass). He picked up the one that I didn't want him too and that Morgan is training to get rid of (gets forward often) and dropped his determination by two. Fantastic tutoring Morgan, fantastic. Oh well, feels like I'm back at square one once again. This game....

WTF??? That ridiculous I am going to report that as a bug :lol:

The bug is that he chose Everton, and the fans and board hated me for selling him.

In my opinion, this fm's diablo tactic is in the transfers system. I keep on knocking back three or four enquiries, saying "sorry, not interested", then finally I say "oh okay, you can have him, but you've got to pay me fifty million" and they lap it up.

Pity I'm good at selling, not buying. I've bought two strikers to compete with osvaldo and no one is scoring..... I sold the geriatric who was my top scorer last year.

Haven't posted a season update in ages! Season two ended okay! Got into the Europa League via finishing 6th! Bought some good players for the 3rd season!

Signed Robben - been a god send 14 goals 8 assists

Chiellini - a rock at centre back may be 31 but scored 10 goals and sured up the defence!

Barkley - been one of my best signings ever! Payed over the odds but wanted him and it's been worth it!

Savic on loan from Monaco as backup!

Season 3 has been really good, sitting 3rd in February! But have a hard run of games of, United, Liverpool and City!

In the next round of the Europa League and have Sevilla wish I'm hoping to win! In the final of the Capital One Cup against Arsenal after beating United 3-1 away and 2-1 at home.

My team is:

GK: Gazzaniga

RB: Chambers/ Savic

CB: Chiellini/ Castran

CB: Chriches

LB: Shaw/Denswil

LCM: Wanyama

RCM: Barkley/Naingollan

AML: Robben/ Ox

AMC: Ramirez/ JWP

AMR: Robben/Ox

ST: Osvaldo

Aim is for champions league football and for a successful day out at wembley!

Need to invest in a striker next season and a goalkeeper and then cover for a few positions!

This has been one of my favourite saves on FM, up the saints!

Are you sure that your youth and fitness isn't overloaded with coaches? Other then that, not sure....

Nope, got rid of them thinking that was the issue, I still have less than the 9 coaches (in any form) they state but I can't recruit anymore and they wont let me add more.

I'm presuming people liked Dodd (U18 manager), Hunter (Reserves Manager) and my AssMan are counting as coaches.

I have trouble getting tutor for Luke Shaw. I´m on my second save, and neither on this and my previous I´ve been able to tutor him.

Tried to buy Loric Cana on my second save to make him tutor Luke, but he refuses. All he say is "i don´t wanna work with Luke".

Any tricks to make it happen?

I have trouble getting tutor for Luke Shaw. I´m on my second save, and neither on this and my previous I´ve been able to tutor him.

Tried to buy Loric Cana on my second save to make him tutor Luke, but he refuses. All he say is "i don´t wanna work with Luke".

I'm not sure, but maybe Cana being captain makes a difference(lallana vice, he was okay abut it too, a bit miffed but he got over it), other then that I almost always use assertive when talking to my team. I think I had him tutored by Cana near the end of the first season, after he'd finished with chambers.

Not sure that'll help, have you tried jos to tutor him? ( I sold him, I can't remember what his mentals were like, but for a defender that slow they had better have been good :) )

I started my Southampton save last night - admittedly didn't get too far; I think it took over 2 hours for me to press the continue button for the first time! I love that bit though; going to all the meetings, setting up your three tactics, set pieces, training, getting the scouts pulling reports on a few players you'd like to know more about, giving the staff a little overhaul, all that stuff.

I haven't even played my first friendly yet, but I'm pretty excited. I've analysed the squad and what people have been doing here and set three different tactics:

4-2-3-1 - narrow with three central players behind Dani Osvaldo.

4-2-3-1 - wider with an IF on the left and using Jay Rod as a Wide Target Man. For this purpose I have Lallana, JWP, Jay Rod and Gaston all re-training for the wide positions. Omar Rowe looks decent on my save too so I'll pull him in to the first team squad as back up.

3-4-1-2 - three CBs, WBs, 2 CMs (a BWM and a Box to Box), an AM and two CFs (probably poacher and DLF). I thought I'd try something a bit different. I think really I'll need to bring in another good central defender and retrain Shaw and Clyne to play WB before I'd be comfortable playing this, but that's all pretty straightforward and I like the variation this would give.

I always disable first window budgets, but I'll be looking to bring in Balanta in January, along with an extra body in Midfield/AM (eyes on Rafinha and Goretzka), and I'll be looking for a better GK over the next 2 or 3 windows. I'd love to pick up Ter Stegen, but I imagine he'll be bought by one of Europe's big boys before I get chance. I've also got my eye on Pirlo and Alonso as possible free transfers at the end of seasone one, if they don't sign new deals. I think an older head sat infront of the defence for a couple of years could be ideal (and imagine how good they'd be as tutors).

Hiya guys

Started my Southampton save last night and am having an absolute nightmare of things. Not helped by my first 5 league games being; Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Everton, Liverpool ! Hence i have lost the first 3 all be it the first 2 game only 2-1. This has to be a contender for hardest start ever right ?!

So as you can see i think i may be in need of some help and advice if any one would be kind enough

My line up is as follows

GK - Boruc

CB - Lovren/Bellusci (CB-D)

CB - Balanta (CB-D)

LWB - Shaw (CWB-A)

RWB - Clyne/Chambers (CWB-A)

DM - Wanyama/Zuculini (BWM-D)

CM - Honda?Obiang (BBM-S)

AML - Lallana/Ince (IF-S)

AMC - Ramirez/JWP (AP-S)

AMR - Gaitan/Mane (W-A)

ST - Osvaldo/Damiao (CF-A)

Fluid

Control

Shorter passing

Slower tempo

Wingers swap

Work ball into box

Allow wingers to swap

Roam from postitions

I did have a big big switch around with the team so i know it will take time but im struggling to score goals and just in general keep the ball all together

Physios, GK coaches and fitness coaches are all under 'coaches' this year. Seems odd I know but make sure you have no more than 3 physios for the first team until you get the number you're allowed up to 11/13.

I'll try and get rid of some physios then.

Doesn't Shaw a have a pretty decent personality to start with?

Having an absolutely woeful start to the season. None of Osvaldo, Lambert, Lallana or Ramirez seem to have a clue in the final third and Boruc loves to chuck them in.

Trying to play the real life narrow 4-2-3-1 or a wider version but it's not working at all and we don't have the players to play 4-4-2.

Just finished my third season! One of my best! Got knocked out of the Europa Peague by Shakthar in the QFs they had 3 penalties over the 2 legs! And beat me 5-3 on aggregate! I won the capital one cup against Arsenal 1-0 JWP getting an 81st minute winner! I finished 4th in the league and have got a place in the ECC next season!

I need to invest in some players and get rid of some dead wood!

So I've started a game as Southampton. The only save I've had previous to this was one as my beloved Swansea City but I got sacked after 18 months for going on a run of about 15 games without a win, so will be looking to be a bit more tactically astute in this save.

Before I pressed continue I went about having a complete overhaul of staff, put unwanted players on the transfer list and created three tactics.

New staff members are: Fermo Favini(Assistant manager), Dave Parnaby(Head of youth development), David Court and Francisco Cersosimo(Coaches), Franco Tancredi(Goalkeeping Coach), Altamiro Bottino and Antonio Bovenzi(Fitness Coaches).

The three tactics I have created look like this..

294lwz7.png

So I began to sell off the unwanted players and bring in the players I wanted. Luckily for me, I'm the type of manager who likes to buy young players for the first team so that Philosophy suited me. I tried to get the board to remove the ''Sign players from Chairmans home country'' philosophy but they told me where to go. I'm finding selling players on this years FM to be quite difficult. Here's the ins and outs so far..

2882vth.png

Darder is a future BWM superstar by the looks of things, where Balanta and Zuculini will be in and around the first team squad straight away. Ibanez and Di Donato were signed for tutoring purposes only. I also have Hooiveld in the process of being sold for 500k. Others who are listed but yet to be sold are Steven Davies, Billy Sharp and Jonathan Forte.

First game of the season is Fulham at home. Will keep you updated...

VICTOR VALDES IS JOINING ME ON A FREE AT THE END OF SEASON ONE! I had a decent run in the first half of the season which put me 3rd mid way through January (it looks like I'll end up finishing 9th or 10th. Ugh), but it meant Valdes was open to a move!

He wanted £140k a week and the board wouldn't let me offer more than £77k, but I offered some good performance bonuses (appearances, clean sheets, team of the year), and reduced the £30m release clause his agent requested to £20m, as well as offering 25% sell on, and he accepted. Given he'll only be 32 when he joins and this gives my young team a genuine world class leader - not to mention sweeper keeper - I think it'll be worth it. And to top it off I've also got Andrea Pirlo coming in!

Very excited about season two now. I'm toying with swapping to 3-5-2 to accommodate my best players in their best positions...

--------------------Valdes (SK)-----------------------------

------------Souttar - Lovren - Alvarez Balanta---------------

--Clyne (WB) ------ Pirlo (Regista) -------- Shaw (CWB)-----

---------Wanyama (BWM) - Schneiderlin/JWP----------------

------------------------------------------------------------

--Lambert/Ramirez (SS) - Osvaldo/Mitrovic (joining for £12m)--

The only downside of this is that there's no natural spot for Lallana to fit in, though I imagine he'll retrain well to cover CM, or even LWB.

Games in August

League Southampton (Lambert 2) 2-0 Fulham - Dominated the game and had good possession. Nice steady start to season.

League Sunderland 0-3 Southampton (Lambert, Osvaldo 2) - Took our chances in a more even game. Had better possession and chances. Good away win.

L-Cup Peterborough 3-2 Southampton (Chambers, Lambert) - Played youngsters and paid the price. Had the better of the game but they created more CCC's. No complaints.

League Southampton (Shaw, Lambert) 2-1 Crystal Palace - Dominated the game in all areas. Should have scored more.

So yeah, perfect start in the league. Disappointed to have gone out of the league cup because I like to give youth some first team experience in that competition.

Transfer window has closed. Managed to push through deals for Lorik Cana(Competition for CB with Lovren, Balanta and Yoshida) and Tom Ince(being retrained to AMC). Hooiveld left for 500k, Jonathan Forte left on a free and Billy Sharp left for Swansea on loan.

Insane goal from Mitrovic! Seriously, I've never uploaded anything to YouTube in my life (and therefore I have no idea why the quality of this upload is so poor), let alone an FM clip, but this had me out of my seat...

This came 16 mins in to my second game of the second season and Mitrovic's second start for my Southampton team, after signing him for £11.75m in the summer.

Really good start to my second season - played 6, won 4, drawn 1, lost 1. Highlights include beating Liverpool 3-1 away, Man City at home 3-0 and, topping the lot, annihilating Newcastle 7-1 with four goals from Lambert and two from Osvaldo.

Team looks like this (3-5-2):

---------------------------Valdes----------------------------------

------- Lovren ----------- Capoue ---------Balanta ----------------

Chambers -----------------------------------------Armero/Shaw---

-------------- Wanyama ------------ Pirlo -------------------------

-------------------------- Lallana ---------------------------------

-------------Osvaldo/Mitrovic ---- Lambert ------------------------

Very nice start enders. What made you keep hold of Lambert? I'm thinking of moving him on.

Anyway, I've now reached the end of Season one. I would have posted regular updates throughout the season but I've had a bit of a problem with posting on the boards. Turns out Internet explorer is dirt! So here's an end of season review..

Season 2013/14

Final League position - 13th

Massive disappointment here. Away wins were very hard to come by through the season and lost some very winnable home games towards the end of the season too. I don't want to go too far down this road but it seems like 9 of every 10 goals i concede are from corners and crosses.It's almost like my defenders are scared to attack the ball in the box. Can't wait for the update. Probably a good job I had cup success or I may well have been sacked based on League position.

League Cup - 2nd round

Lost to Peterborough in the second round, 3-2 away from home. I played the youngsters as always. Would have liked to have stayed in a bit longer but won't lose sleep over it.

FA Cup - Winners

Well, what a triumph. Firstly, the draw was VERY kind to me. These were my results.

3rd round - Watford 0-1 Southampton

4th round - Doncaster 1-3 Southampton

5th round - Southampton 1-0 Fulham

6th round - Southampton 4-0 Ipswich

Semi-final - Southampton 2-2 Crystal Palace (Southampton won 5-4 on penalties)

The FA Cup Final - Southampton 0-0 Man City (Southampton won 10-9 on penalties)

Naturally, I was nervous. First chance of silverware, but I was up against Man City, having eased through most of the competition. I decided that I wasn't going to sit back and soak it up because it would probably turn into a rout, so I played a 'Control' 4-2-3-1 narrow possession tactic that I'd been using at home. The game was surprisingly even, with us having a bit more ball but them having a touch more quality in the final third. They had 2 CCC's to our none. On 80 minutes Yaya Toure got sent off so I went for it. I moved my strategy to attack and on 85 minutes substitute Jay Rodriguez, who I'd brought on for Ricky Lambert, got his opening. He bottled it. Full time.

I questioned whether to continue attacking their 10 men and risk being broken against by a Sergio Aguero or Alvaro Negredo. I went for it. It still didn't work though because for the whole 30 minutes of extra time absolutely nothing happened. It was pens.

City were to go first, and scored. The first 4 penalties for each team were dispatched emphatically. Kolarov steps up, misses! I've got my chance! Up steps Jay again, with a chance to redeem himself. Bottles it again! The next 5 penalties for each team were buried. Kompany steps up, smashes it high, wide and handsome! Surely it was mine... just bury it please.... Artur Boruc?..... Scores! In my head there was a pitch invasion and players being hoisted in the air by fans! I was buzzing!(Mainly because it probably kept me in a job)

Player performances

Player of the season for me had to be Victor Wanyama. Scored some vital goals and bossed the midfield. His tough tackling approach came at a cost though, being sent off 3 times in the season. Ricky Lambert finished top scorer, but only with 12 goals in all competitions(10 in the league). Notable mentions also go to Nathanial Clyne, Callum Chambers(coming along very nicely), Lorik Cana and Franco Zucculini for good performances throughout the season.

Worst player this season was easily Pablo Osvaldo. Don't really know what I'm doing wrong with him. He played almost every game for me in a lone striker role. In 31 league games he scored 4 goals. Need to improve this season or he'll be on his way.

No signings in January by the way so same squad as previous post.

So the season was over. The board were satisfied. A new season awaits....

Very nice start enders. What made you keep hold of Lambert? I'm thinking of moving him on.

He was massive for me in my first season, scoring 21 league goals from a SS role behind Osvaldo. I had a bit of a tinker with the tactics for season two after acquiring Pirlo and wanted to play 3-5-2, so I bought in Mitrovic but didn't think I could afford to let a striker go. I had been thinking of playing just one striker with Ramirez in behind alongside Lallana (and if that had been the case I may have sold Lambert), but Madrid offered me £21m for Ramirez and I took the money so I could buy Capoue to play as a BPD and Armero to keep the LWB seat warm for Shaw for a couple of years.

Looks like you had a great first season winning the FA Cup - congrats! I didn't win a trophy but managed to finish 11th. I was pretty gutted as I slipped in to 11th after the final game of the season, and it was the lowest I'd been all season. I had a brilliant first half of the season and was 3rd at the end of January but then seemed to run out steam and steadily slid down the league. I'd been 9th until the final game.

Has anyone cashed in on Schneiderlin? All the Premier League big boys were after him in the summer window between season one and two. I kept hold of him, but he wasn't exceptional in my first season and if I can get good money and find a decent, cheaper replacement I may let him go. Mistake?

Has anyone cashed in on Schneiderlin? All the Premier League big boys were after him in the summer window between season one and two. I kept hold of him, but he wasn't exceptional in my first season and if I can get good money and find a decent, cheaper replacement I may let him go. Mistake?

Sold him for 25.5m in January of my third season I believe, wasn't great for me either.

Haven't sold Lambert yet but I just feel he's going to get less games for me this year. I've got liverpool interested in Ramirez now but I turned them away, even though he's been mediocre at best for me. Schneiderlin has been steady for me but I will cash in if the right offer comes my way in this window. I've decided I'm gonna play a 4-4-1-1 formation this season in a hope that the LM and RM will help to stop the crosses that I keep conceding from. Retrained Lallana to RM and already have Vitinho coming in at LM to compete with Tom Ince. Need a natural RM/RW now so considering a bid for the transfer listed Eduardo Salvio from Benfica.

How much did you pay for Armero enders?

How much did you pay for Armero enders?

About £8m (£4m to each of his clubs - he's co-owned in Italy). Not sure I'd have got him in if I was still playing a back four but he's significantly better than Shaw at WB and will go past his peak about the same time Shaw reaches 21 or 22 so he seems ideal. Admittedly I've only played 6 games but he's got a goal and 2 assists, and currently has the third highest average rating in the whole Premier League (although full backs and wing backs always seem to top that chart this time around). Could be worth a look for you LM slot.

Yeah the LM slot is where I was thinking but have decent competetion there now with Ince, Vittinho and I retrained Ramirez just incase.

Is anyone else having trouble selling off the deadwood on this game? I have listed Sharp, Mayuka, Yoshida and Fox. No interest for any of them.

Impossible. I ended up terminating the contracts of some of them just to get them off the wage bill.

Starting to think I may have to do this myself.

I find it easier to shift players with a Director of Football. Just make sure to set yourself to finalise all incoming transfers and it's okay. They tend to get good deals.

Tried this before but stopped it because he was dropping the players asking prices to really low figures. I can see now why though, nobody wants them!

After a mental 2014 I finished the first season in third place, thanks to a tactic modelled on Pochettino's pressing game, and with a few ideas pinched from the Tactics forum.

At one point I was called in for a board meeting after losing five on the bounce but pulled it back, especially with a 6-0 win at Aston Villa.

yZWEd8L.png

There was very little in it, from 2nd to 8th, so I was pretty fortunate, a 3-1 victory over Arsenal in the run-in sealed it, in my eyes.

Only signings in Season 1 were Nicolas Gaitan and Davide Astori.

Here are season 2's transfers.

MdJEGj8.png

Managed to fend off competition from Real Madrid for Coutinho so was pleased with that, Eric Dier actually ended up costing me about £9.5m because he was 50% owned by his agent.

47BbTHa.png

And here's my start to the season. Reasonable, but I need to sort out my goals conceded column.

Nice work Jordi. Might have to start reading through the tactics forum myself because I am well and truly struggling.

Had to search for Eric Dier as I didn't know who he was. Looks very good for his age. Do you not think you may have needed to strengthen a bit more to compete on all fronts?

I had a lot of trouble around October time and couldn't win for the life of me. I nicked a couple of ideas off the pressure tactic in there after people reported a lot of success with it.

Dier is certainly very good for his age, a step up on Fonte and Yoshida, 20 years old, and English. My squad depth is decent, got plenty of backup for every position except left-back, but Clyne can play there and Chambers or Dier can play at RB.

The midfielders are generally very versatile and Mayuka came back from his loan and is 4th choice striker.

Well the 2014 Summer transfer window has ended. No major sales really. Lambert(had to go, too slow for my new system), Boruc and Gazzaniga all left for a combined 2m.

Players who came in were:

Giuseppe Bellusci(CB) for 3m

Fabio Borini(ST) for 2.3m

Bafetimbi Gomis(ST) for Free

Benoit Costil(GK) for Free

Kasper Schmeichel(GK) for Free

..and a last minute deadline day signing of Didier Drogba(ST) for Free

Played 3 games so far, taken 4 points. New formation(again) in a hope of stopping these crosses that are doing me so much damage.

Squad looks like this:

GK: Costil, Schmeichel

RB: Clyne, Chambers

LB: Shaw, Fox

CB: Lovren, Bellusci, Stephens(coming along nicely)

CB: Balanta, Cana, Yoshida

CM: Wanyama, Zucculini, Davis

CM: Schneiderlin, Ward-Prowse, Cork

RW: Lallana, Puncheon

LW: Ramirez, Ince

ST: Osvaldo, Drogba, Rodriguez

ST: Gomis, Borini, Mayuka

Probably a few players too many but seems as I'm in Europa league, I'm sure they'll all get game time.

Im about to start a save with Saints' date=' with disabled first transfer window and im wondering which player should tutor [b']Luke Shaw[/b]?

I think I've had Lovren, Lallana and Schneiderlin take that on over the course of my first two seasons. Lallana is probably the best bet - club captain an' all.

I did the deal in January when I was 3rd in the league around the same time I secured Valdes (and I notice someone else was able to do that deal). I think it mainly had to do with timing, a two year contract on £77k a week plus BIG performance related bonuses (like, £30k for playing, £18k for being an unused sub) and a really low release clause. I was shocked too but I'm loving it now - even on FM he just looks so damn classy strolling around in front of the defence!

I did the deal in January when I was 3rd in the league around the same time I secured Valdes (and I notice someone else was able to do that deal). I think it mainly had to do with timing, a two year contract on £77k a week plus BIG performance related bonuses (like, £30k for playing, £18k for being an unused sub) and a really low release clause. I was shocked too but I'm loving it now - even on FM he just looks so damn classy strolling around in front of the defence!

I was able to do a deal with Valdes, for about 70k a week plus big bonus'. Man United put a last ditch bid in and I lost out. Fuming.

SFC_Jordi - would be interested to see how Dier does for you after 10 or 20 games, if possible? I have my eyes on him too but I'm not quite sold on him just yet. Nice to see his stats upped considerably from FM13 though.

According to my scouts, Dier is a 2.5 star player playing close to his full potential.

Phenomenon - Stephens has been decent for me too. Looks like he could become a good squad player.

I loaned him out for the first half of my second season to championship side Birmingham but he wasn't playing much so I've just brought him back. Needs regular games now!

Im about to start a save with Saints' date=' with disabled first transfer window and im wondering which player should tutor [b']Luke Shaw[/b]?

I think Lovren tutored him for me?

Archived