Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs

Tried this with Chester after getting promoted to the bsp. I know they are not that great a team but I found my team struggling to create chances and conceading stupid goals and losing mainly 1-0 :(

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good tactic so far in my game with Liverpool =) We won comfortably games that we should win, and what's more encouraging is we bullied Man City out of the park twice already, LOL.

Hopefully consistency can be maintained. The only thing that makes heart your beat faster is that the tactic is very attacking and very fluid, so there's that feeling of some counter attack is inevitably gonna happen soon one of these days. Also, the goals usually come later in the game, and my strikers, Suarez and Sturridge, waste so many good early chances and it adds more to the adrenaline.

Very good possession rate, very good amount of chances created.

Good job!

I wonder why this tactic doesn't get more shout.

So far in my game, my Liverpool is unbeaten in the league and only lost 0-1 to Barca away. Very high possession rate and numerous chances created. I hardly ever lose by halftime and even if I do lose or draw by halftime, aggressive teamtalk during the break more often than not result in victory at the end.

The only downside to this tactic is that it's prone to yellow cards (and always to the usual suspects) and that it drains stamina more than any other tactic that I've seen. I guess that's the result of full pressing and very fluid play that the tactic demands.

Overall, I'm a very satisfied customer =)

• 2 weeks later...

I just gave this tactic a shot to start a Fulham save. I trained it up to "fluid" familiarity in the preseason. I started the season and conceded 7 goals against average competition in the first 2.5 matches. The only goals I have scored were from corners. I'll keep at it for a few more matches, but I am unimpressed with the results so far.

I just gave this tactic a shot to start a Fulham save. I trained it up to "fluid" familiarity in the preseason. I started the season and conceded 7 goals against average competition in the first 2.5 matches. The only goals I have scored were from corners. I'll keep at it for a few more matches, but I am unimpressed with the results so far.

Hi mate I'm trying this tactic from day that was posted and whit a wide variety of teams from lower leagues to the very top what and never let me down, i'm not saying that is perfect you still have to ''understand'' your players motivate them very important to konw how to do team talks, to retrain them if needed and very important too is team cohesion for them to play at 100%.

So my advice is keep playing this tactic even though is 100% fluid but on general training use team cohesion and match prep on def.positioning for a few months and try to use your best team only (no rotations).

Hope this helps you mate!!

Post data:

a few little tweaks i learn from a fm-base user, that realy helped me :

tick target man - Adv forward

tick play maker - complete forward (so they recieve the ball more often)

tick target man supply - run onto ball

remove offside, because quick strikers always break loose.

tick counter attack to make use of the quick wingers.

Cheers mate!!

Well I did keep giving it a try, and so far it has paid off. After the initial defensive problems, my Fulham side has gone undefeated in 10 matches and has not conceded a single goal in the last 7 matches. Two of those matches were against Man City. It's almost too good to be true!

The one vulnerability I have noticed is with the ball playing central defenders. It's hard to find composed good passers at that position, but they are necessary to keep the turnovers to a minimum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Love this tactic mate thanks. Having been plying FM13 long and struggled to make my own tactics. This scores lots, defends well, and looks good to watch. Playing with Velez in Argentina I have won 14 drawn 2 and lost 2. Thats after switching midway through the season and having players perhaps not ideal for the formation. Works wonders though, as you mentioned earlier Facundo Ferreyra is a great shout scoring about a goal a game. Highly reccomend this tactic to anyone at all.

• 3 weeks later...

This is great tactic, if u "respect" everything from first/presentation page u will have success, just be patient... first season is always hard, especially if u sign a lot of players who need to adapt for your tactic... i will give u example... first season with my red star team from serbia i finished second behind partizan 9 points behind, but after that 7 titles in a row, won UEFA cup in third season, and CL in fourth,sixth and seventh season... so... tactic is magnificent,just like i said,be patient and find players for right positions... cheers

Despite having decent players for each of the positions my team are stuttering fairly regularly despite still being 2nd i feel i could be geting a lot more from them. Says a lot for this tactic that I am 2nd and gives me a lot of faith when I really get players that suit the positions down to a T.

Work in progress at this stage.

I decided to give this tactic a go with Bromley in the Championship. I was using the tactic modern warefare before and got tired of the football on display even tho it got me consecutive promotions all the way from BSN to the Championship. As i only had 2 defensive midfielders and have been using a straight 4-4-2 i decided to set up three different formations with the Arrigo tactic, the 4-4-2 from the start with two central defensive midfielders a 4-1-3-2 with a DM set to defend and an midfield advanced play-maker and a straight 4-4-2 with a ball winning midfielder set to defend and an advanced playmaker. I have used all 3 of these and have won all my games except 1 draw since making the switch and still very much on course to win the championship. Been mostly using the straight 4-4-2 as i am low on defensive midfielders. Very very happy with this tactic so far!!!

You can play with midfielders out of position and it should be good. I'm playing in Croatian third division and had an AMC playing in DM position, he is a first team player and did rather good. His attributes are somewhat evened out but I always play with a destroyer next to him. Otherwise I try to use two decent tacklers who can pass.

Football is wonderful even at this level where it isn't odd to have players with 1 for Composure and still they can deliver a cross and dribble. Since I'm broke I have to use youth academy regens who are rather on a fifth division level. Even lower clubs have better salaries and better quality of the players. Sitting on the top in the middle of the first season I've started using this tactic from the start.

Waiting for takeover and clearing of debts before I could expect promotion. Football is so good that I'm looking forward to try it out in some top league and have a rather stress free save hehe

• 2 weeks later...

In work so cant post screens, but just wanted to say what a great tactic this is. Finally a plug and play tactic for us players that dont have hours to devote to devising and testing tactics.

I started a save with Red Bull Salzburg and managed to get them into the Champions League group stages finishing a very close 3rd which got me into the Europa League. I had a dream run in the Europa League and managed to scrape a 3-2 win over the mighty Liverpool in the final. On top of that I managed to win the Austrian League and Cup double. I did this using just the tactic with no changes and signing just a couple of DM`s.

All round top top tactic

Unbeaten in league with Utd first season at end of January. Not very pretty but fully effective tactic for FM14. Rooney 20 goals, Van Persie 22. I went out of league cup on penalties. I beat liverpool 5-1 at Antfield. I still think room for improvement but match engine needs an update also.

this tactic isnt working for me with decent success on FM14 with liverpool. Admittedly i changed to this tactic in november and my results improved slightly. hopefully i wont be sacked and ill get the two DMs i want in the jan window...

one glaring issue to me is that i struggle with numbers vs opposition team in midfield...

does anyone have any tweaks as i think they're necessary

so over the past 7 games ..won 5 d 1 lost 1. definite improvement but ive noticed that considering the quality of my squad id be hoping to do better against certain opposition.

i got absolutely demolised (stat wise) vs a norwich that was playing a narrow 4 2 3 1. there was so much space in midfield, their players had so much time passing the ball around it was like my mids were invisible. i was away, where i also think this tactic under performs.

anyway, after the 3/4 tactics ive tried this seems to be the best so far. cheers

this really is a brilliant tactic, im spurs first season, pretty sure ill finish in top 4, won carling cup, lost fa cup semi to Chelsea on penalties and have just got into the uefa cup final, changed the forward roles, got Jackson Martinez as a target man and he has almost scored 40goals in all comps, on the other hand soldaldo has done terrible but still scored 23 goals!!

F14 version has worked a treat for me. I'm top of the league at xmas with OM, 5 points ahead of PSG.

I dunno if other people do this or not, but I always use more of an AM type player in the CF-S role. Works really well for me.

Big shout tot he creater BTW, man's an FM legend.

OK, so ive tinkered with this tactic somewhat and ive finally got something going.

Had to move both DMs into MC (every game i was informed by my assistant that teams had too much time.space in midfield) One BallWinning and the other BoxtoBox. Works a treat. Also changed one striker to Target man.

Rock solid defence.

So what am i ding wrong, i have downloaded the tactic saved to the tactics folder twice now and when the game is loaded it keeps telling me the tactic cannot be imported. Any help would be appreciated.

It's for FM13 so it won't work on FM14 new tactics creator. he has the updated one for fm14 on another site.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived