FM:13 From topdogs to underdogs, Rangers Football Club

lovenkrands01

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I'm playing as Rangers and so far it has been predictably easy to get to Division One, the squads looking young and talented and the results have been pretty good...

Won Division Three with ease getting 97 points

Won Division Two getting 83 points

And so far have 27 points from 11 games in Division One.

I can't seem to settle on one tactic at the moment which is a little annoying but the results have still been almost exclusively positive.

The team I am playing at the moment in a 4-4-2 is...

GK: Alexander

RB: Kieron Freeman (Youngster signed on a free from Derby)

CB: Urquhart

CB: Dingsdag (Season long loan from Sunderland)

LB: Fox (Season long loan from Southampton)

RM: Templeton

CM: Black

CM: Dicker (Signed for £250K from Brighton very able CM)

LM: Gauld (Free transfer from Dundee Utd... bid £500K for him a year before his contract ran out so was delighted to get him for nothing!)

ST: Freeman (Signed from Stevenage, 22 years old... pretty good striker)

ST: King (Free transfer from Man Utd... banging in the goals)

Subs:

Elabdellaoui (Midfielder signed from Man City on a freebie)

Pennant (31 but still has very good stats for Division One!)

Arfield (Signed for £120K from Huddersfield)

Perry

McFadden (Signed on a free before last season, did brilliantly in Division Two but is a sub at the moment in Division One)

With a fee regens, Shiels, Sandaza and Faure backing the team up. Pretty pleased, hopefully I get a bit of money in the SPL to get some real quality in to go wth the great youngsters while the likes of Pennant will be leaving!

febmar.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

February and March over with, biggest highlights being, beating Partick Thistle in a cup final for the second time this season, this time the League Cup, then beating Hearts 3-0 at their place with the returning David Templeton nabbing a hat trick for the 10 man rangers, was a pretty epic match, few games left in the league but promoted as champions already, Inverness in the semi final of the scottish cup, Celtic and Hibs int he other semi.

Few negative points, A) St Mirren are sniffing around Gasparotto again, and B) the bank balance is in the red:thdn: (1million or so).

Just been rocked by Hutton, McKenna, McCulloch, Shiels and Cole handing in transfer requests. The first two for not loaning them out yet. That's depsite no one being interested in them. McCulloch and Shiels, for them moaning about me accepting bids when it wasn't in my hands and whilst I told them I'd be stregthening the side if they gave me time, they've gone ahead. The latter I rejected but then went and transfer listed him myself. This game does infuriate me at times.

Just been rocked by Hutton, McKenna, McCulloch, Shiels and Cole handing in transfer requests. The first two for not loaning them out yet. That's depsite no one being interested in them. McCulloch and Shiels, for them moaning about me accepting bids when it wasn't in my hands and whilst I told them I'd be stregthening the side if they gave me time, they've gone ahead. The latter I rejected but then went and transfer listed him myself. This game does infuriate me at times.

Aye mate, this bug that makes the game think Rangers are in administration is definitely having a negative domino effect on other parts of the game as your clearly displaying :( hope things improve for you though!

The thing is, McCulloch is still a key member of my squad despite him not playing as much now. Shiels starts most games upfront for me. Cole, well he's gone and my DoF, Eric Cantona confirms most of these things for me now. Hutton and McKenna both want to go out on loan. Fine, not a problem. I've offered them out on loan for the season, no wages for the loaning club to pay and no takers. So, what do they expect me to do? I've done everything I can as far as I'm aware of. Tempted to just to transfer list them both and be done with it. Although Hutton is a good player. Maybe his rep is set to high at the start of the game?

Hutton and McKenna you could put one on your subs bench and bring him on for games your winning heavily, i remember someone suggesting for previous FM's that if no one was interested in your players you should give them a bit of game time to advertise them as it where in the shop window, apart from that no idea what to do except yelling at them :D

EDIT, by a stroke of luck Gasparotto damaged his achiles, so St Mirren withdrew their interest for the second time, 3months out, should just be enough time to reach the end of the embargo i hope.

just wondering how samdazza is getting on with yous am struggling to reli get as many goals as would thought he scored out him

I play him as an Advanced forward on attack setting, in a 4-5-1 formation.

Just finished April and May, thus ending my first season, Not quite sure why but i did not get Manager of the year, went to the manager of clyde who was also promoted, though Tulasne won player of the year, which i was happy about :)

Templeton finished my top goal scorer with 20 goals, and joint top assists with 16, team scored a total of 151 goals, and conceded 22.

aprmay.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Beat Celtic in the final of the Scottish Cup, was losing 1-0 at half time, rallied the troops and sent on Templeton completely changed the game.

Won the second division with a few games to go.

Nothing special this season round really. With one watchful eye on the bank balance I got rid of Bougherra, Koumas, Kyle, Stella and Goian to clear the wages but that wasn't before Templeton was sold for buttons, which annoyed me to no end (especially as we were starting to get Season Ticket money in, idiots).

Anyway, I was able to catch a wee gem in Eamon Hutton for 90k. Only 17 but 7 in 22 means I'm expecting big things from him next year. My only other signing of note was the return of Barry Ferguson who I picked up for nothing. He done well for me but at 36 I wasn't expecting to hold onto him for long so told him I won't be renewing his contract.

Again with the balance in mind I also told Cribari and Argyriou to find new clubs. With those 3 gone I should clear almost 16k from the wages. I'm hoping the youngsters can fill in the defence. To replace Baz in the middle of the park and possibly even McCulloch I'm thinking of bringing in Diego Arismendi who is a free agent and looks the business

No special cup run of note, but did win the Challenge cup for the second year running. unfortunately the bonus for it outstripped the prize money so again it didn't do much for the bank balance.

Has anyone else experienced this?

End of season 2. Decide to shake up the team so go through the team to see players with a year left on the contract and decide who to keep and who to sell. Go to the two high earners McCulloch and Alexander, offer both new contracts are both fall over themselves asking for almost 60-75% drop. Think I've won a watch and offer what they want but then both come back and say they've snubbed the contract due to the salary on offer. Go to renegotiate and their rate is now pretty much at the level it was at and.

Has anyone else experienced this?

End of season 2. Decide to shake up the team so go through the team to see players with a year left on the contract and decide who to keep and who to sell. Go to the two high earners McCulloch and Alexander, offer both new contracts are both fall over themselves asking for almost 60-75% drop. Think I've won a watch and offer what they want but then both come back and say they've snubbed the contract due to the salary on offer. Go to renegotiate and their rate is now pretty much at the level it was at and.

To both your previous questions.

A) Manager of the year seems to be based on the stature/reputation of your club and how well you do with it, and how much of a challenge they rate your accomplishments, so as the computer pretty much sees Rangers as should being able to field a blind man and a goat to win up to SPL, the award will naturally go to a manager who has accomplished promotion with far lesser funds/wage budget/smaller rep team, i had this issue on previous FM's with the likes of Luton, where i would get manager of the month awards but the overall manager of the year would go to the next team who got promoted.

B)Ive tried to renew a few players contracts i give them exactly what they ask for but they snub/reject it, it could be a conflict between the agent and the player, or the player simply wants more, it's certainly frustrating, i had it with a few players last night at the end of Season 1, namely sandaza, soukouna and mckay.

I'm on my first save and in to December 2012. Top of the league and unbeaten but a few draws and certainly not easy (also dumped out of 2 Cups early on). I've kept all existing staff and played a straight 442 in every match.

Key signings were Barry Douglas (£70k from Dundee Utd) as back up in case Wallace was sold behind my back, James Tavernier (2-year season loan for no outlay from Newcastle) as back up for the RB position, Jamie Longworth (free transfer striker from Queens Park) and my 2 goalkeepers - Mikkel Anderson (season loan for no outlay from Reading) and Neil Etheridge (£14k from Fulham). Was unable to loan back Ness, Wylde or any other ex-Gers that served me so well in FM12.

I sold Alexander to Everton and a couple of youngsters for peanuts. I also tried to offload Cole without success and Kyle but no takers whilst he is injured. Also wanted to move on McCulloch as I don't like older players - especially on high wages - but couldn't make that happen.

I've used Hegarty and Cribari as CB with Argyriou as RB. Shiels was complacent at RM every week so I've recently decided to let him warm the bench and now use Wallace at LM and Templeton at RM. Generally Hutton and Black were used in CM although McCulloch has replaced the former as I couldn't get him out in the window.

Top scorer at a goal-per-game is Barrie McKay (12 goals so far) with Longworth (15 finisher stat) next best. Surprisingly Little (2 in 13) and Sandaza (3 in 10) didn't justify my patience. Little surprised me as I hoped he would be my star man and was one of the reasons I fancied this save, but he's now benched. Sandaza is now 4th choice striker and will only make the 16 when injuries etc dictate.

So far a decent save and I'd recommend McKay and Longworth as cheap, alternative Scottish strikers.

what are the finances like ? in div3,2,1 & SPL ?

Finished season 1 about 1million in the red, but over the summer they have recouped a lot of money through sponsors, up to a balance of 9.5million at the moment, id imagine that will get drained throughout season 2 though due to attendance and wage bill.

EDIT, FM really needs the option for me to say to Bocanegra, look your costing us too much on wages, no one wants to buy you, if you dont leave on a free ill have McCulloch and the boys work you over!, now gtfo of my club!

Finished season 1 about 1million in the red, but over the summer they have recouped a lot of money through sponsors, up to a balance of 9.5million at the moment, id imagine that will get drained throughout season 2 though due to attendance and wage bill.

EDIT, FM really needs the option for me to say to Bocanegra, look your costing us too much on wages, no one wants to buy you, if you dont leave on a free ill have McCulloch and the boys work you over!, now gtfo of my club!

Keep trying to get rid of Bocanegra on a free. Eventually, he will go. Fulham were the mugs that brought him on my game.

sounds good so far tbh, what are the attendances like ?

I take it boca is on a beast of a wage for div 3 lol

He's away on loan first season, wages paid in full by other team which is great(same with Dorin Goian) but when he comes back hes on 14k a week, which i could get 4 or so players for that in second division, and i have the center back position full to bursting with experience and youth prospects already so hes surplus.

Just played my first competitive game of Season 2, was a home fixture versus Airdrie in the challenge cup, 32k attendance, not to shabby, will let you know more as i progress UberSausage.

He's away on loan first season, wages paid in full by other team which is great(same with Dorin Goian) but when he comes back hes on 14k a week, which i could get 4 or so players for that in second division, and i have the center back position full to bursting with experience and youth prospects already so hes surplus.

Just played my first competitive game of Season 2, was a home fixture versus Airdrie in the challenge cup, 32k attendance, not to shabby, will let you know more as i progress UberSausage.

I don't think the wages are paid in full by the club he's at. I know one of them isn't. You pay about half for both.

I don't think the wages are paid in full by the club he's at. I know one of them isn't. You pay about half for both.

Ah i must of misread it then, was pretty sure one of them was 100percent other club but your probably right about the 50/50.

Oh my challenge cup match was not against Airdrie, it was Queen of the south, got airdrie in the league cup next.

Good call on Bocanegra, i kept offering him out and AZ Alkmaar came in for him, for a transfer fee aswell!, he wanted 3.7k wages off us till 2014, so had to agree to that, but it freed up 10k wages so im chuffed :)

5.8k(holds 10k) attendance away at Airdrie(cup)

42k attendance home to Arbroath(league)

4.5k(holds 4.7k) attendance away to Forfar(League)

So seems to be almost selling out (90%ish) attendance in the league, not so many attending cup games.

just got through January 2013 transfer window with no bids for my players so my board never got any bids to accept :)

tied down a couple of youngsters to long term contracts like Naismith and Aird.

also came away from the 5th round scottish cup match against savco fc with a 2 2 draw at Parkhead, stokes scoring in the last minute.

Fancy my chances in the replay at Ibrox and also have a semi final against the sheep in the league cup.

just finshed thrid season

transfers in

pennant -free

tam scobbie free

prychyencko 220k

bardsley free

church free

total 220k

transfers out

kyle free

lewis macleod loan

kyle hutton 100k

and bunch of youngstars none really worth mentioning

total 100k

league 1st

played 36

won 22

draw 13

lost 1

one i lost was in last few games was just playing youngstars wish i played better team now and finshed undteated now

league cup final lost to celtic just cant seem to beat them

scottish cup quater final

challenge cup won

just finshed thrid season

transfers in

pennant -free

tam scobbie free

prychyencko 220k

bardsley free

church free

total 220k

transfers out

kyle free

lewis macleod loan

kyle hutton 100k

and bunch of youngstars none really worth mentioning

total 100k

league 1st

played 36

won 22

draw 13

lost 1

one i lost was in last few games was just playing youngstars wish i played better team now and finshed undteated now

league cup final lost to celtic just cant seem to beat them

scottish cup quater final

challenge cup won

Well done fella, just one more season to the promised land?

Well done fella, just one more season to the promised land?
promise land? if talking about spl am in there now if champions league then still got to work to that just started pre season ready for spl bit worried about lack of budget dont see be tittle condter just curious does anyone know what rangers used have round about for wage budget?

What tactics are people using?

Ever since the update to the beta i cannot seem to score for love nor money, teams regularly going 10-0-0 against me and i can never ever seem to get a striker to run at goal, they just end up holding up the ball and passing it around while the clock ticks down.

@Jamescrew1 - Sorry i misread previous posts i thought you just got into Div1, Not sure about the previous Wage budget, maybe it was 300k-500k?

@DougyMarshall - I use a 4-5-1(attacking strategy, balanced style) with wing backs, Advanced Forward, wingers, deep lying player maker box to box midfielder and a defensive midfielder between them and the centerbacks. Then i switch to 4-4-2(standard/balanced) when looking to be more solid defensively.

Anyone else finding the SPL bloody difficult? Either its the latest update but I can't buy a goal atm. Sitting in 4th place ffs!

yes i was struggling for goals at the start but i change my match perpatrion from ball control and tweaked my tacicts a little and am now sitting 2nd 3points behind celtic cant seem close gap a seem drop points on seem wekeends they do

I'm in Feb of 1st Season and currently 18pts ahead and just booted Dundee out the Scottish cup 5-0 (take that SPL team). like everone else losing money quickly but well under wage budget.

Signed Gauld from Dundee Utd in January as he's only 17 and is looking a great prospect and got Zanetti at the start of the season who is great as he never loses possesion, I play with Zanneti as a DM with Black and McCulloch as CM's.

Also recommend getting Chris Herd from Villa on a 2yr loan and signed Big Bobo Balde as back up on a free.

Archived