England Captain Retires on Morning of World Cup Final!

Yeah, so erm, as the title suggests. Taken the England job and I've managed to get England to their first final since 66 and my captain announces his retirement a couple of hours before kick off! :confused:

Bug?

• Administrators

What version of the game are you running? Did he announce his international retirement or his retirement from football? Likewise had he declared his intention to retire previously or did it all happen in one day? Do you have a save game prior to this date?

Since I'm connected to Steam I presume I'm running the latest version. Unfortunately I don't have a prior save as I saved it the day of the match as I always do, but before I'd read the news item telling me he'd retired. He hadn't intimated at any time he was planning to retire.

Or part German

Quite the opposite on the contrary and probably very offensive to him, as he's actually part Polish ;)

It's Phil Jagielka. And before anybody laughs he's England captain because he is also my club captain and in a fit of bias and unprofessionalism I have called up most of my club squad, including a couple of hot prospects from my reserves that aren't even playing 1st team football yet!

This sorta stuff annoys me. I've had Buffon retire the day before the WorldCup final and just recently the Malaga manager left his post on the day he was leading Malaga into their first CL final. The backroom staff left also.

I was managing AC Milan and a week before the Champions League final where I was due to take on Barcelona, Barcelona approached me to fill the vacancy.

I've also seen players retire mid-way through tournaments and the like.

If it's an issue, the SI should consider moving the deadline for retirement to mid-August rather than June or July (or a week before a season is due to start or something).

Del Bosque was sacked after the most successful Real Madrid period of the modern era. No bug.

Really though? No bug?

Del Bosque was sacked, he didn't retire, and certainly not on the day of the C.L final.

Has a World Cup final captain ever retired on the day of the match? No. Will they ever? Probably not.

Its an error somewhere with retirement dates, and should probably be looked at.

Since people can't die or get in situations unrelated to football in FM, I've always thought of strange retirement days as getting in some sort of situation that makes them unable to play football for the rest of their lives. Car accident, death by lightning, shot by a burglar, the list is long. And all of it can happen the morning before the world cup final.

Not sure if it makes a difference but I should probably point out that he hasn't retired from professional football. He has just, perhaps more annoyingly, retired from international football. Makes the situation even more ridiculous in my opinion.

If he had already planned his retirement at the start of the season for this date I'd think fair enough its still stupid but maybe he thought it'd be unlikely he was captaining his country in a World Cup final on that day. But the fact he's just retired from international duty means I got no warning and does seem very unlikely in the real world.

What version of the game are you running? Did he announce his international retirement or his retirement from football? Likewise had he declared his intention to retire previously or did it all happen in one day? Do you have a save game prior to this date?

i had the same exact thing happen to me

i was managing Germany and my captain, top scorer, top performer, and top assists Michael Ballack decided to retire the day before the Euro 2012 final. i then asked him to reconsider, he said okay but i couldn't register him back into the squad

Could it possibly be that for whatever reason, the game in question is being played a day, or a few days, later than expected? Therefore the bug would simply be that the player had decided to retire after the last game of the tournament, which would fall on a certain day. However, the date of the game has changed, while the date of retirement has not.

Could it possibly be that for whatever reason, the game in question is being played a day, or a few days, later than expected? Therefore the bug would simply be that the player had decided to retire after the last game of the tournament, which would fall on a certain day. However, the date of the game has changed, while the date of retirement has not.

Then it would make sense to program it so no player retires before the season is officially over and all players are on holiday.

I have had issues with this 'end of season' thing before. In FM2011 I had a job offer I wanted to accept from AC Milan after the season ended, I had the CL final still to play and I was ready to move on afterwards. Needless to say, the morning of the game they offer me the job with no chance of delay.

If it was a random league game, but the World Cup final? The date is pretty much set in stone and is usually in the calendar a good 2-3 years in advance. A better option for international retirement would be instead of a specific date the player should say he's retiring "after the next major championship".

I have had issues with this 'end of season' thing before. In FM2011 I had a job offer I wanted to accept from AC Milan after the season ended, I had the CL final still to play and I was ready to move on afterwards. Needless to say, the morning of the game they offer me the job with no chance of delay.

This is definitely a problem with fixtures that go beyond typical season lengths, this has happened to me before though not with a CL final.

Ha, didn't notice that, doesn't bear any relation to the opening post at all. You'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he actually posted in the wrong thread. Because if not he's a clinical moron and he's a drain on our precious oxygen :D

Archived