really annoyed......

I've been reading parts of this with interest. I really don't understand all the analysis or rather how to react, I know my team miss a lot of tackles, but they rarely lose a defensive header or any interception. I usually do use successful tactic for all games because I'm not sure what to change. So help on that would be interested.

Anyway, an easier request. In terms of the shooting and goal stats could anyone kind of tell me are these numbers good or do things need changing.

They are as follows

Goals/shots: 79/465

On target/shots: 192/456

Thanks.

Read the this http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/289528-The-SI-Sports-Centre-All-You-Need-To-Know-About-FM from post 44 down and you'll grab the basics of the analysis tab. The key is to click on the dots on the pitch and watch the clips back and learn why something was missed etc. Then once you understand how a tackle was missed you can look at correcting it but you can't do that until you understand why. I'll be happy to help you understand further if you use that thread :)

It's the best tool you have available to you to understand about how you play.

Whatever. The ME works in steps, it has the outcome predetermined until you make changes and then a new predetermined outcome is created. So it's mini predetermined outcomes. It's a roll if the dice and if the probability is in your favour that's the more chance of you rolling a six

So what does this mean? Well, you could do everything spot on and still lose, i.e. not land a six

Stop posting utter rubbish please. I've listened to you enough now and I'm going to start giving out infractions. By all means have an opinion but atleast provide evidence to back up such claims and do it in a constructive manner. We have no issue with people discussing genuine flaws and faults but people who make up stuff and post utter rubbish in a non constructive way are not appreciated.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only long-term stat I care about in the game is conversion ratio. Mine is as follows:

Goals / Shots: 56 / 331 (1 goal in 5.9 shots)

Goals / Shots on Target: 56 / 134 (1 goal in 2.4 SOT)

If you are significantly higher than those stats, then you have identified your problem. You need to create a lot of chances before you score. Please have a check to see if this is the issue.

Shots 288, on goal 140, goals 60

I feel that's pretty good.

As for the OP - it clearly is a tactical issue, but without actually trying the tactic you're using there isn't much I can do to help you - I would say that you have few shots on target, though. There is some information that could be helpful - for instance when these matches came.. the fixture list. Top strikers not scoring even though they are in great form = overconfidence/complacency (the motivation gadget don't necessarily say that they are complacent). The fact that these losses are against inferior opposition (and you were likely favourites) points to this as a likely issue too.

And to all of you "you can't have a one-tactic-fits-all approach to this game"-guys: that's simply wrong. The conversion rate I wrote above is with one tactic used in every match. Just consider this for a moment: I sometimes go a goal down early and seem to struggle, then take over the match and grab an easy win in the end without changing anything. Would the same thing happen if I tweaked the tactic to accomodate stuff like playing conditions or opposition strengths? Impossible to know, isn't it? How do you know that the changes you make was what turned things around when changing nothing also change things around? I have said this before, but I'll do it again - the TC+Shout strategy is an illusion. It fools you into believing that you are doing sensible, realistic changes in real-life footballing terms when all it does is - like Classic "supertactics" - allowing you to find a set of tactical instructions that works well... universally well, not just in that particular situation. Otherwise what I do wouldn't be possible...

well, I was doing something wrong, but just think logically, even when the best ass. manager available in the game, has the opinion to take pressure out of my players, when we face real at home or away and I use the "expect a win", dont you think, that something is wrong with this game? dont you think, that team talks have sooo much influences, that results like above can happen, if you use the right one, or results like in my starting post, if you listen to your ass manager or would go the way, the most players would have told you?

Tactics are only part of the game, getting your team into the right attitude to play is another. Having looked at your opening post I would have actually picked up a couple that I would have said were clearly team talks rather than tactics.

Reading the whole thread its fairly clear that you have a team that responds well to demanding teamtalks and also one that does well when they score the first goal. This is something you should have been able to identify as a manager without the need for this sort of thread.

Overall I think you have been putting too much focus on tactics without giving enough thought to other areas but given your recent improvement I hope you'll consider these more.

sometimes, Ive exactly the same feelings mate...

one example from an older villarreal save.

Ive won the first leg of the champions league semi finals against barca 2-1

coming away to camp nou, Ive never managed to even get one point from barca.

they are going in front, I am equalizing just before the half time.

then, they score 2 goals in the space of 3 minutes, I get my 2nd away goal in the 92nd minute and 49th second, 90+3 should have been played. normally, this should have been the result. but noooooooooot. kick off for barca, they get a corner, its the 96. minute and iniesta scoring a header from a corner, which ends my dreams of playing champions league finals with villarreal... these are moments, where I just wonder, how this could have happen....

Exactly. The only downside is that you can't win the Champions League with say a third division team right away lol You have to wait for probabilities to rise to make that a good (realistic) probability, and that would take absolute ages and all the players that you know are out of the game by then

Exactly. The only downside is that you can't win the Champions League with say a third division team right away lol You have to wait for probabilities to rise to make that a good (realistic) probability, and that would take absolute ages and all the players that you know are out of the game by then

I've enjoyed some excellent domestic cup runs with lower league teams, even winning a cup with teams occasionally, who are a league or two beneath the top flight.

As well as occasional luck, such as fortunate refereeing decisions at crucial points in matches, I've also paid attention to detail. For example, I spot a "nervous" opposition centre-back, I instruct my players to put him under more pressure and try to force mistakes. Before and during matches, I look for any signs of weakness in my opponents my team can exploit, whilst ensuring that each player in my team is playing to instructions that suit them well individually and as a whole.

The key thing here, is attention to detail. I've won, drawn and lost matches, because I've either spotted something tactically I can use to my advantage, or I haven't and paid the price for missing an opportunity.

Something important I'll also point out, that it's not always a case of "it's your tactics", but quite often a case of "it's your players". Just because a player might be considered "world class", doesn't mean they're a robot who gets 8+ match ratings every game. You have to ensure they're playing to instructions that suit their attributes well. That's how I manage to get "world class" performances out of "average" players.

Tactics are only part of the game, getting your team into the right attitude to play is another. Having looked at your opening post I would have actually picked up a couple that I would have said were clearly team talks rather than tactics.

Reading the whole thread its fairly clear that you have a team that responds well to demanding teamtalks and also one that does well when they score the first goal. This is something you should have been able to identify as a manager without the need for this sort of thread.

Overall I think you have been putting too much focus on tactics without giving enough thought to other areas but given your recent improvement I hope you'll consider these more.

Yes, your teamtalks counts as well. Every single altered action within the game gives you another roll of the dice and creates a new storyline, but it might not alter the win/loss in a game, unless these course of actions landed you a six

Teamtalks gives you another chance to sway some (or more) probability in your favour (depending on which ones you choose for this match) and another shot at rolling the dice

It can also cost you a match, like change the outcome of a certain win

Say you are the weaker team for example, teamtalks gives you a chance to sway more probability in your favour to grab a shock win. i.e. to land a six

Yes, your teamtalks counts as well. Every single altered action within the game gives you another roll of the dice and creates a new storyline, but it might not alter the win/loss in a game, unless these course of actions landed you a six

Teamtalks gives you another chance to sway some (or more) probability in your favour (depending on which ones you choose for this match) and another shot at rolling the dice

It can also cost you a match, like change the outcome of a certain win

Say you are the weaker team for example, teamtalks gives you a chance to sway more probability in your favour to grab a shock win. i.e. to land a six

You start to make sense. Yes FM is a computer game, so you are of course right about this. If the point you are making is that a streak of form (lost or won) will continue on its current path until something changes and that this counts for what happens in the matches too, than this is the truth obviously. It isn't a profound piece of higher knowledge, though. More like Captain Obvious.

You start to make sense. Yes FM is a computer game, so you are of course right about this. If the point you are making is that a streak of form (lost or won) will continue on its current path until something changes and that this counts for what happens in the matches too, than this is the truth obviously. It isn't a profound piece of higher knowledge, though. More like Captain Obvious.

Well, the reason I pointing it out is because lots of people out there think there is some set pattern to winning all the time. But this game makes sure that the majority of that is down to luck as well. 50% tactical etc and 50% down to random roll of the dice luck

Read the this http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/289528-The-SI-Sports-Centre-All-You-Need-To-Know-About-FM from post 44 down and you'll grab the basics of the analysis tab. The key is to click on the dots on the pitch and watch the clips back and learn why something was missed etc. Then once you understand how a tackle was missed you can look at correcting it but you can't do that until you understand why. I'll be happy to help you understand further if you use that thread :)

It's the best tool you have available to you to understand about how you play.

Stop posting utter rubbish please. I've listened to you enough now and I'm going to start giving out infractions. By all means have an opinion but atleast provide evidence to back up such claims and do it in a constructive manner. We have no issue with people discussing genuine flaws and faults but people who make up stuff and post utter rubbish in a non constructive way are not appreciated.

Because if I wanted to make a Football Sim depthful I would make it work something like this. That's my evidence. Why are you getting mad? It's actually a great way to make a Sim.

Because if I wanted to make a Football Sim depthful I would make it work something like this. That's my evidence. Why are you getting mad? It's actually a great way to make a Sim.

I'm not getting mad but up until the last few posts you was posting rubbish inaccurate statements. But in the last few posts you've actually made a little bit of sense and been contructive.

I'm not getting mad but up until the last few posts you was posting rubbish inaccurate statements. But in the last few posts you've actually made a little bit of sense and been contructive.

The only things he's go right are the pre-calculated matches, which are required for the highlights to work, and that there is a random number mechanism. His theorising about '50% luck' and 'throwing a six' sits somewhere between hugely over simplistic, stupid, and completely wrong.

Well, the reason I pointing it out is because lots of people out there think there is some set pattern to winning all the time. But this game makes sure that the majority of that is down to luck as well. 50% tactical etc and 50% down to random roll of the dice luck

This is definitively the case a large part of the game is down to luck but you can do things to tip the luck in your favor you can easily test this by saving before a game and then playing it like 10 times in a row without interfering in any way.

If the teams are fairly even matched I bet you will see at least 5 of the 10 games ending with a different result.

On the other hand if you play the 10 matches and start changing your tactic on the fly to respond to tactical changes of the AI you will probably be able to influence the majority of those games in your favor.

I had a long period of games where I dominated the match but couldn't win but since I changed to watching all matches over their full duration those games are reduced to a minimum of one or two games per season.

It's vital that you are able to react to changes in the oppositions game especially after one team scores and after half time your opponents will change things in how they play and this will often lead to those upsets.

The only things he's go right are the pre-calculated matches, which are required for the highlights to work, and that there is a random number mechanism. His theorising about '50% luck' and 'throwing a six' sits somewhere between hugely over simplistic, stupid, and completely wrong.

Indeed..:)

Its like a game where we both have dices but your dice has more 6's because you've went a much better team, but I've picked much better tactics than you so I get another 6 on my dice, so the chance (or probability) of me snatching a win or a draw has greatly increased

Its like a game where we both have dices but your dice has more 6's because you've went a much better team, but I've picked much better tactics than you so I get another 6 on my dice, so the chance (or probability) of me snatching a win or a draw has greatly increased

So, in general the best team wins, but they might not if the opposition's match tactics are better on the day? Bit like, let me think...it'll come to me.....ah, football!

So, in general the best team wins, but they might not if the opposition's match tactics are better on the day? Bit like, let me think...it'll come to me.....ah, football!

No because the probability side always gives the weaker team a chance of a win. As soon as you click start those dices role but you can be unlucky even though your dice had more 6's, a higher probability of rolling a 6 because your dice had more 6's on it

What am I saying? Yes I meant. Sorry I never bothered to read your post properly

I use to say this stuff to people a few years back and they would always tell me I'm wrong

No because the probability side always gives the weaker team a chance of a win. As soon as you click start those dices role but you can be unlucky even though your dice had more 6's, a higher probability of rolling a 6 because your dice had more 6's on it

You are talking total nonsense. Please stop it.

he's just trolling to be honest.

I think he genuinely believes his dice rolling theory. Although, as Ackter says, it would have some merit if we were talking about numerous multi-sided dice, which are thrown repeatedly for the virtual 90 minutes, the throwing sixes stuff is just ridiculous.

And to all of you "you can't have a one-tactic-fits-all approach to this game"-guys: that's simply wrong. The conversion rate I wrote above is with one tactic used in every match. Just consider this for a moment: I sometimes go a goal down early and seem to struggle, then take over the match and grab an easy win in the end without changing anything. Would the same thing happen if I tweaked the tactic to accomodate stuff like playing conditions or opposition strengths? Impossible to know, isn't it? How do you know that the changes you make was what turned things around when changing nothing also change things around? I have said this before, but I'll do it again - the TC+Shout strategy is an illusion. It fools you into believing that you are doing sensible, realistic changes in real-life footballing terms when all it does is - like Classic "supertactics" - allowing you to find a set of tactical instructions that works well... universally well, not just in that particular situation. Otherwise what I do wouldn't be possible...

I believe you build 2 tactics that you switch between if things go wrong, am I right? That's already one step ahead of the OP.

Also, it is still possible to win using only one tactic (I'm doing it in FM12, btw.), but it has to be a good one. This FM is far less apologetic to tactical errors than older FMs and CMs. So if you made an error in the tactic you're using all the time, of course you'll get frustrated from time to time.

As I said, SI have been working towards nullifying "super-tactics" so it's only natural you have to have a really good one if you still plan to play it that way.

I would like to point out that a few people here don't think it works, they know it works.

But there is an element of randomness in there as well. This game is purely based on probability and what alterations you make can increase/decrease the probability of a win or draw. You, the human, can never shift the probability 100% in your favour. It's all controlled by an odds mechanism. For example, If was a third division team against Man U and I had better tactics I've slighty increased my small chance of snatching a win or draw even though the likelyhood of that happening is still very slim. But, other factors can knock that back a bit, potentially preventing me from further increasing my probability, for example, if I don't pick the right teamtalks or if my opponent chooses a more effective combination best suited to his situation.

All the ME does is playout some predetermined storyline until you change something and then a new one is generated

Also, it is still possible to win using only one tactic

Indeed it is, but how much success it would bring in the long term I'm not sure.

For example, in my career save I was appointed manager of Swansea City at the start of 2013/14 season after they had been promoted back to the Premier League. Their manager, John Carver, walked out to take over at Wolves.

I wanted to try and make Swansea play like they do in real life, and after reading a thread in the tactics forum about Barcelona by wwfan I managed to make a formation and tactical sytem/plan/whatever you want to call it that has worked all the way through the Premier League season thus far. And after sixteen games I am currently sixth in the table.

I don't change formation at all, and the only changes I make to the tactic come in-game by using the "shouts".

But, this is only after a very limited number of games.

The first bit makes sense.

The second bit I'm assuming is down to mistranslation, because it's not possible to post the first bit and conclude the second without an incredibly wrong-turn somewhere.

The second bit is the ME generated film from the scoreline, which was resolved long ago through number crunching, and is built to look something like real football and to entertain us

The second bit is the ME generated film from the scoreline, which was resolved long ago through number crunching, and is built to look something like real football and to entertain us

You need to get it out of your head that the ME creates a storyline. It does not take all the inputs and work out team B is going to win 2-1 and then create highlights to fit that.

It calculates every pass, every tackle, every shot and then shows what is worthy of a highlight.

Yes there is randomness but its not as simple as just the overall scoreline.

Nope, that's not how it works.

When you start the match, the match engine plays the entire first half, generating highlights as it goes (takes a couple of seconds). You then watch these highlights.

If you make any tactical changes before half time, the match engine plays out the rest of the half again, discarding what was left of the original half and replacing it with the new match based on your changes. You then watch the new highlights it has generated.

At half time, it then plays out the rest of the match, generating the highlights as it goes. Again, any changes you make will cause the match engine to regenerate the rest of the match.

At no point does it go "this match should end 1-0, lets make up some highlights to show people"*. It's the other way around "Here's some highlights we've generated after calculating all of the information fed into the match engine. Oh look, it's ended 1-0".

*though the managers and players do think "well this should end 1-0 to us" and that makes up a part of the information fed into the engine. This information is then changed as the match develops.

You need to get it out of your head that the ME creates a storyline. It does not take all the inputs and work out team B is going to win 2-1 and then create highlights to fit that.

It calculates every pass, every tackle, every shot and then shows what is worthy of a highlight.

Yes there is randomness but its not as simple as just the overall scoreline.

I know. You don't quite get what I mean. The score was resolved long before you got to see it. The score is always resolved before we get to see it. All you're doing is flicking the page of a book. You open a new chapter evertime you change something. For example, it's the start of the game and it has caluculated that you will go down a man in the 45th minute, but you can change the outcome by doing something different at the start causing it to open (re-calculate) a new chapter

this thread is getting boring now. dont bother feeding the trollers....

Unfortunately you have to try an educate where possible, otherwise people have a tendency to believe what's been spouted by people who think they know a lot more than they do.

I know. You don't quite get what I mean. The score was resolved long before you got to see it. The score is always resolved before we get to see it. All you're doing is flicking the page of a book. You open a new chapter evertime you change something. For example, it's the start of the game and it has caluculated that you will go down a man in the 45th minute, but you can change the outcome by doing something different at the start causing it to open (re-calculate) a new chapter

If you want this analogy to hold, you'd be writing half the book, although you wouldn't know exactly what you'd written until you read it. You'd have an idea of the plot and the outcome, and would have sketched out how to get there. However, your co-other would be working on a different plot and outcome. As you were reading the book, you'd either see that your storyline was dominant, and let things be, or realise that your co-author's was, resulting in you trying to change things to better suit your plot. Even if the plot was unfolding as you imagined, there is always the possibility your co-author can change things around without you expecting it.

And you have this bit 100% the wrong way round. The score is generated through the ME, not the other way around.

this is, how this season came to an end...

tablegv.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

cleague.jpg

villarrealv.jpg

all in all, the key change was definately using another team talk strategy, which is only "I expect a win" (aggressively) pregames and at ht, when Im not leading and the usual individual talks. at the beginning, I sometimes got 3,4 negative reactions, but now, after playing 10-15 games with this strategy, my players got used to it and dont even response negatively, when I do this against barca or real away :D

the only problem Im having currently is, that Im absolutely getting dominated in away games against the top two and valencia, sevilla in terms of possession, shots on target and chances. even thoug 3-1 was my worst result in this season, it still annoys me. I just had the theory, that it might be because, since I am asking my keeper to pass the ball to my cb or lb in order to build up the game slowly from behind with short passings, I think in these kind of big away games, the opposition is often closing down you very early and this leads to very missleading passes which end up in dangerous counter attacks. so gonna look, how it develops, when I change the passing setting of my goalkeeper from passing to defender to long kick. this could have bad influence on my possession rate, but at least I am not giving away so many dangerous counter attacking chances, when I lose the ball in the build up play.

You clearly have absolutely no idea about how the ME works, you are not being helpful to anyone posting this kind of stuff.

I'm not saying that's exactly how it works. This game is essentially a roleplaying game. Your goal is to change the script in your favour and this is done via probability, which you can never sway 100% in your favour, and what you do in the game makes your probability fluctuate.

I.e. Like on a Monopoly board where you land on a bad square, in this game you don't want to land on a bad script, a storyline where you lose

Another example, exclude everything else, both teams are of similar quality but you have better tactics, that gives you less chance of landing on a bad square but your opponent has more of a chance of landing on a bad square because he has much crapper tactics than you. So the chance of you landing on a win, a story of success, is much greater

Your dice has i.e more 6's on it because you chose much stronger tactics

But this dice (just say a dice) can never have a 6 on all sides

This might be a case of English not being your native language but expect for stating the obvious that all things being equal the team with the best tactic usually wins I am really struggling to understand the point you're trying to get across.

This might be a case of English not being your native language but expect for stating the obvious that all things being equal the team with the best tactic usually wins I am really struggling to understand the point you're trying to get across.

That there is no set path that will guarantee a win for every match. Also, that all those other variables that are beyond your control (disciplining, player happiness, the decision to praise, etc) can have a huge impact on your probability of success, notch it back a tad.

What I'm saying is that those things can go against you. There's an element of randomness in there

What I'm saying is that you can be the better team and have better tactics but still lose (or draw)

It's not always your fault

Also, you can't control everything within the game, i.e. you don't get to say when an injury happens, which can reduce the probability of winning a match, and not because you don't have good enough backup

That there is no set path that will guarantee a win for every match. Also, that all those other variables that are beyond your control (disciplining, player happiness, the decision to praise, etc) can have a huge impact on your probability of success, notch it back a tad.

What I'm saying is that those things can go against you. There's an element of randomness in there

What I'm saying is that you can be the better team and have better tactics but still lose (or draw)

It's not always your fault

Also, you can't control everything within the game, i.e. you don't get to say when an injury happens, which can reduce the probability of winning a match, and not because you don't have good enough backup

There are no guarantees no. You can be unlucky and just lose. However, once you were unlucky and lost a game you should have won, you can be unlucky again the next match too - and then you have a pattern! While it is helpful to point out that it is counterproductive to take all the credit when you win and all the blame when you lose, it is not helpful to suggest that each match lives a life entirely on its own because you are either on a winning streak or a losing streak and the whole game is based on prolonging one and stopping the other short using various means at your disposal. If you are suggesting that being unlucky thirteen games in a row is not something that is your fault, you are simply wrong - that luck percentage you're talking about disappears once there is a recognizable pattern to both performances and results.

mumble jumbo, I was on a winning run recently but annoyingly I only rolled a 1 in my last game whilst my opponent rolled a 3. I had rolled a 5 in my tactics and they had rolled a 4, but obviously due to the aforementioned roll of 1, I ended up losing the match.

Do you know where I can find a +1 sword to balance this out? Also, do you know which AD&D edition FM uses?

I was being sarcastc, a lot of people go "Look at my powerful computer! Computers these days must be really smart!", when in fact they are still really really primitive, extremely primitive, no more smarter than a pocket calculator

I do apologize if he's not that type

Edit: So you're not playing against a Hal

Being pedantic a computer today is no smarter than a computer from 30 years ago, software on the other hand is a different matter entirely which is why the pocket calculator has been left behind.

Archived