The FMCU Forum Quiz 2012!

HotChocolate

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it was more or less as challenging as last week, it's how I try and make it anyway.

Looks like I'll be getting some tough questions for next week :D

Not that I'm complaining, just my thoughts. As Chris Tarrant would say, 'It's only easy if you know the answer' :D

I'll look like a right pillock if I only get two points now :D

Wow! The Adelaide one was a complete guess, plus was unsure about the last coke one. Actually got lucky as I initially put down the beaten finalists for the FA cup question before soon realizing as I didn't send immediately. Just glad that my question isn't on the end of my West Brom stint as I had a feeling it would be. Round 2 looks much tougher.

Technically there are many, many, many people who have played the Doctor but they are spin-offs of Doctor Who and not actually Doctor Who so the answer I'm looking for is the well known number. (The number that Matt Smith is).

I disagree. There is the one from the two films. That's an important continuity. If not, then you should have reworded it! I'm putting it to the Quiz Omsbudsman!

I'll be well annoyed if the answer isn't as it should be, especially after showing off by naming them all. That said definitely dropped a couple this time, didn't know the Cahill one would you believe?

Transfer fee questions are a bit ambiguous though because they're mostly undisclosed fees that the press will guess at. For example, Jonas Gutierrez joined Newcastle and the press were quoting fees in the £11m bracket. When the financial results were eventually published for that year they showed there was no transfer fee as he moved under the Webster rule, him buying out his contract for a few million euro offset by a more generous signing on fee from us.

Edit: Cahill's fee is indeed officially undisclosed.

I did say for last weeks question I check every answer and if I can find some truth to it from any (legit) website I will accept the answers.

If the question is more 'open' then I'll be more 'lenient' with the answers. If that makes sense.

Sorry, should have made that much clearer.

I did say for last weeks question I check every answer and if I can find some truth to it from any (legit) website I will accept the answers.

If the question is more 'open' then I'll be more 'lenient' with the answers. If that makes sense.

I want an answer on my Dr. Who question! :p I get quite competitive about this! ;)

Fair enough, you are the all-powerful Quiz Master so totally happy to accept your judgement on answers! Just an interesting potential ambiguity as you could argue there's no incorrect answer to that question since the answer is unknown beyond educated guesswork.

Also, when did most transfer fees start being undisclosed? It used to be rare but nowadays almost every transfer on the SSN ticker has "Undisc." next to it.

[pedantry]

Wanderers was never a football club, it was The Wanderers.

Eminem's real name is Marshall Mathers III and not Marshall Mathers who is a different person altogether.

Sealand is not a recognised country.

People need docking points. :D

[/pedantry]

Nobby stop being pedantic.

Thought you weren't one for full football names anyway? ;)

And some people put Marshall Mathers II so it would have been incredibly harsh to mark them down wrong for that.

Hear Hear (though technically that would be 'Jr'), generally I approve of a slightly open approach to answers, even those where as someone knowledgable on the subject (Doctor Who) I know there's only 1 'true' answer so won't mind if others are also allowed.

Is it bad that I was eating my breakfast and thought to myself: "Excellent, quiz day today!"

Nope, I always think about how it's almost time as Tuesday approaches, and how everything will be up when I'm home from college in the evening, especially before the first day but also applies to since.

Is it bad that I was eating my breakfast and thought to myself: "Excellent, quiz day today!"

Not at all. Today is going to be a great day. Off work, quiz day and transfer deadline day! Sky Sports News and FM all day loooonnngg. My Mrs is one lucky lady!!

1. Which 2 teams have won the Copa del Rey more times than Real Madrid?

FC Barcelona and Athletic Bilbao.

2. Who is the creator of The Simpsons?

Matt Groening.

3. Former Manchester United player, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, currently manages which club?

Molde FK.

4. In which country will the new Formula 1 season start?

Australia.

5. How much did Chelsea pay Bolton for Gary Cahill?

£7m. (accpeted £6m to £8m)

6. Name all 8 of the planets in our Solar System.

Earth, Jupiter, Mars, Saturn, Uranus, Mercury, Neptune and Venus. (Pluto is a Dwarf Planet and therefore not a Planet)

7. This years African Cup of Nations is held in which two countries?

Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.

8. How many people have played The Doctor in Doctor Who?

11. (accepted 12 due to the actor that played the Doctor in the film but not the TV Series)

9. In the 2010 FIFA World Cup, which nation was the only unbeaten team?

New Zealand.

10. What film won ‘Best Picture’ at the academy awards (Oscars) in 1998?

Titanic.

Bonus Question. In deltablue’s career thread, what league and position were West Brom in when he took over?

Npower League 1, 13th. (league AND position, quite a few only put position)

SRL88 – 8pts | MattSpurs94 – 9pts | Pangaea – 4pts | Deisler26 – 8pts | Nottingham Forest – 5pts | rancer890 – 5pts | ManUTactician247 – 4pts | Scribe – 9pts | DazRTaylor – 10pts | jackripper – 4pts | Flamers – 2pts | SnakeXe – 10pts | City2000 – 5pts | Raware – 8pts | hrbfcrule – 10pts | cplpeters1900 – 7pts | AK22 – 11pts | Barney Butterball – 7pts | kris0710 – 11pts | Adelaidean – 6pts | deltablue – 10pts | hursty2 – 7pts | B.W.G – 9pts | Makonnen – 5pts | iHeadHunta x – 3pts | roganp – 7pts | Nobby_McDonald – 8pts | ssestig – 12pts

*If you think you have got the wrong score then let me know, I did double check every set of answers I got so they should be correct but I am only human.

Username		R1	R2	R3	R4	R5	R6	R7	R8	R9	R10	Total
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
deltablue		12	10									22	
kris0710		10	11									21
ssestig			9	12									21
B.W.G			11	9									20
DazRTaylor		10	10									20
AK22			8	11									19
hrbfcrule		9	10									19
MattSpurs94		10	9									19
Scribe			10	9									19
Adelaidean		10	6									16
cplpeters1900		9	7									16
hursty2			9	7									16
Raware			8	8									16
SnakeXe			6	10									16
Deisler26		7	8									15
Nobby_McDonald		7	8									15
roganp			8	7									15
Barney Butterball	7	7									14
SRL88			6	8									14
City2000		8	5									13
Nottingham Forest	7	5									12
Flamers			9	2									11
rancer890		6	5									11
jackripper		6	4									10
ShyBaldBuddhist		10	--									10
Makonnen		4	5									9
Pangaea			5	4									9
iHeadHunta x		5	3									8
ManUTactician247	4	4									8
TWalsh			6	--									6
malikoi			2	--									2
Lenzar			--	--									--

So deltablue is still on top but ssestig is making life hard with a last minute entry of the full 12 points meaning I've got to change the bonus question! Although I have highlight Flamers who had a strong start last week with 9pts but seemed to be all over the place this week with just 2pts!

Bury Town (Flamers) – Even if you do wish he managed them, it wasn’t the best guess in the World was it?

Pluto missing Earth (kris0710) – You put 8 planets down but one of them wasn’t Earth!?

Named ALL of the 11 Doctors (deltablue) – Because he’s a know it all when it comes to Doctor Who! Fortunately he got his bonus question right. :rolleyes:

Mike Something (hursty2) – Not even Mike I’m afraid, began with an M though.

Sweden and Norway (Pangaea) – The African Cup of Nations, hence African not Scandinavian! :D

Gabon & Guinea (Deisler26) – So close but it’s Equatorial Guinea not Guinea, they are 2 different countries.

I'd like to quibble one question? The 1998 Best Picture Oscar didn't go to Titanic, the 1997 one did.

It was 1998, the 1997 one was The English Patient.

Edit: To be honest I thought it was 1997 that Titanic won it but I couldn't think of what did win it the year after so I just stuck that down as my answer as I knew it was around that time.

Archived