FM2012 difficulty.

How are you finding the difficulty on FM2012?  

1,760 members have voted

1. 1. How are you finding the difficulty on FM2012?

• The game is too easy.
    • The difficulty is about right.
    • The game is too hard.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just that. The game isn't hard by any means, but the same old problem remains. You can buy much better players than the AI ever will, which causes a snowball effect that ends up in the game being too easy. It's more to do with squad building than actual difficulty. If anything i find the AI is tactically much more sound this year.

I don't know, i could just have a lot of bad luck or i could be wrong; But i have a feeling that most people who find the game easy also have an exponentially stronger squad than any other team in the league.

More likely would be that the game isn't doing the same thing every time.

Probably because they don't play 4-4-2 with classics. Problem solved.

You can buy much better players than the AI ever will, which causes a snowball effect that ends up in the game being too easy. It's more to do with squad building than actual difficulty.

Man City have bought Luka Modric, Pique, Fabregas and DiMaria in my game. Liverpool have spent ~€120 mil each season and have gotten some very good players as well. IMO AI squad building is better than ever.

I apologize for sarcasm in my previous post. I just tried to stress that there is a thick layer of fog (poor manual that describes what in game commands should do in stead of what they actually do) that makes any investigation almost impossible for a person unfamiliar with actual code.

I apologize for poor English, hopefully meaning is not completely lost in translation.

No problem:) SI have the issue under investigation, it now requires people to exhibit some patience because from here to implementing any changes (should they be required) isn't likely to be quick.

It's just that. The game isn't hard by any means, but the same old problem remains. You can buy much better players than the AI ever will, which causes a snowball effect that ends up in the game being too easy. It's more to do with squad building than actual difficulty. If anything i find the AI is tactically much more sound this year.

I don't know, i could just have a lot of bad luck or i could be wrong; But i have a feeling that most people who find the game easy also have an exponentially stronger squad than any other team in the league.

You don't even have to buy players(as you may have seen in some tests here), but yes it is too easy to buy them if you have the money.

What I did in CM94 after winning everything with Crewe for a number of seasons was to take over clubs, give them a custom tactic (all of which were better than the standard ones) and somehow that club would retain that tactic after quitting. This way I was actually challenged for the title some seasons, and lower-league clubs having this treatment rocketed up the leagues. I remember that I gave Rotherham a 6-3-1 tactic which allowed them to stay in the league system season upon season.

What if we could give AI managers a custom-made tactic or a set of tactics that they could use? That, and having 5 players out 5 players in every season hard-coded for every manager/club in the game would pump up the transfer market to a realistic level, as well as increasing the chance of AI clubs succeeding in building squads.

No problem:) SI have the issue under investigation, it now requires people to exhibit some patience because from here to implementing any changes (should they be required) isn't likely to be quick.

Improved manual is a must for next release in my opinion. Initially this would make the game even easier, but hopefully it would make game less frustrating for those that currently struggle while at the same time it would help the community to spot in game issues and report them correctly.

Man City have bought Luka Modric, Pique, Fabregas and DiMaria in my game. Liverpool have spent ~€120 mil each season and have gotten some very good players as well. IMO AI squad building is better than ever.

I agree that squad building seems to be improved. More transfers in this game than ever.

That, and having 5 players out 5 players in every season hard-coded for every manager/club in the game would pump up the transfer market to a realistic level, as well as increasing the chance of AI clubs succeeding in building squads.

Not every club can do business every window mate. That would be just unrealistic. The simple solution to all this difficulty issue is to give AI managers some 'brain', that's all.

RIght now 5 of my friends wait to buy game, but they dont want such easy game. on Croatian forums is the same. Im sure in other countries , too. I dont understand that such big company like SI cant do something for their own good.

In this thread Erimus1876 show them quick way to fix the game. You can add that mod as option in preferences screen, something like hard mode. SO people who think the difficulty is about right are happy 2. Fine by me. In other threads couple of us told our ideas how to make game harder in long term ( for FM2013). And for those who said that 30% is not much, you are so wrong. People in business world fight for 1 %(and gaming ind. is BIG business) , for 30% they are fighting to the death.

Not to mention that many of us who find game too easy, helped SI a lot with our wishes and ideas in the past. And i must say, that SI give very short answers, like they dont care. People here testing this game for them and they use their free time. I know im lazy 2 do that, but well done mates, you will make this game better.

I'm not interpreting numbers any way I care to do so. I'm using a statistical method that nearly every single poll in the world uses.

Completely the opposite of the truth. Self-selecting polls are statistically worthless. If you want to find out what a large group of people think you ask a balanced sample. What a self-selecting sample tells you is what that sample thinks, nothing more.

If the AA put up a question on its website asking if the speed limit should be raised the answer wouldn't tell you what percentage of AA members wanted the speed limit raised, it would tell what percentage of the people looking at the website felt strongly enough one way or other to vote.

A couple of hundred votes in a poll cannot be extrapolated to 30% of people playing the game.

If you want to find out what people in general you have to go out and actively seek opinions, not listen to those who shout the loudest. Do you think the comments under newspaper articles reflect general opinion? No: they hugely over-represent extreme opinions because people with very strong opinions are vastly more likely to want to express them than people who think, "this is OK".

And that's the danger of the internet in general. Whatever your quirk you can find someone who shares it. In many ways that's a great thing. If you live in a little village you're very unlikely to meet someone in day to day life with a passion for Icelandic poetry. But if you go online you'll find lots. The danger is because it's easy to find people with the same interests it's easy to be mislead into thinking those minority tastes are much more widespread than they really are. Just because lots of people look at a Goatfanciers website does not mean that every third person you mean is a goatfancier: there are still many more pigeon -fanciers than goatfanciers. (I stress that I'm using "fancier" here as in pigeon fancier. An enthusiast.)

Just a the simplest level: why not take the number of people voting the game is too easy as a percentage of the total members of the forum? If someone doesn't have a strong enough opinion to vote at all why not take that as an OK?

Easily said, almost certainly not easily done though. But I agree thats the only way to go

AI manager preferred formation and tactical tendencies/preferences are already there in the game. I don't see why it would be hard to program to make them buy players according to their tactical preferences? How do they make transfer decisions now then? randomly?

Completely the opposite of the truth. Self-selecting polls are statistically worthless. If you want to find out what a large group of people think you ask a balanced sample. What a self-selecting sample tells you is what that sample thinks, nothing more.

If the AA put up a question on its website asking if the speed limit should be raised the answer wouldn't tell you what percentage of AA members wanted the speed limit raised, it would tell what percentage of the people looking at the website felt strongly enough one way or other to vote.

A couple of hundred votes in a poll cannot be extrapolated to 30% of people playing the game.

Bingo.

This poll doesn't show anything related to the game difficulty. If you want accurate results you need to select people AT RANDOM. Not a forum where people will either +1 you or say "i dunno, maybe it's just not me".

The game might be too easy admittedly, this poll however doesn't have any relation to that.

AI manager preferred formation and tactical tendencies/preferences are already there in the game. I don't see why it would be hard to program to make them buy players according to their tactical preferences? How do they make transfer decisions now then? randomly?

Given that Rep, and CA/PA still seem to have too much influence, I'd say it's still pretty hard.

Given that Rep, and PA still seem to have too much influence, I'd say it's still pretty hard.

Ok so if for e.g. playing as Sunderland you find a world beater which for some FM reasons was never scouted by Man United, it should be very difficult for you to hold onto that player for more than one season if he performs exceptionally well for you. He should be snapped up by Man United in the second season right under your nose.

Why should this be hard to program if Rep and PA have too much influence?

RIght now 5 of my friends wait to buy game, but they dont want such easy game. on Croatian forums is the same. Im sure in other countries , too. I dont understand that such big company like SI cant do something for their own good.

In this thread Erimus1876 show them quick way to fix the game. You can add that mod as option in preferences screen, something like hard mode. SO people who think the difficulty is about right are happy 2. Fine by me. In other threads couple of us told our ideas how to make game harder in long term ( for FM2013). And for those who said that 30% is not much, you are so wrong. People in business world fight for 1 %(and gaming ind. is BIG business) , for 30% they are fighting to the death.

Not to mention that many of us who find game too easy, helped SI a lot with our wishes and ideas in the past. And i must say, that SI give very short answers, like they dont care. People here testing this game for them and they use their free time. I know im lazy 2 do that, but well done mates, you will make this game better.

Its far too early yet. It needs more testing with different teams in different leagues, thats why a put the database available for download in post #155. The numbers I changed may have some completely different effect that what we think they do, so we could be back to square one if its not a proper fix. The only thing to do is play the game and see how it goes :)

Volunteering samples are not statistically worthless. They suffer from the problem that those who volunteer may not be representative (not "aren't").

The difficulty lies in the fact that random sampling or systematic sampling is difficult and will need to be implemented by SI on a population-wide basis. I'd question whether SI would even bother doing this, too.

Volunteering samples have their uses in that they are quick and dirty. That it suffers from self-selecting bias does not necessarily make it statistically worthless.

Even the likes of random sampling often suffer from different types of selection bias.

Volunteer samples are shunned in various areas such as economics and geography because those that do volunteer are often very different to those who are not (i.e. Internet polling in Africa). This is less of an issue here because this is THE official forum, and with FM12, everyone who plays FM12 needs to have an Internet connection, for example.

The other thing that is important to note is that the actual proportions do not really matter when it comes to software quality, as the presence of unhappy folk, no matter how small, is an issue (i.e. we are interested in hypothetical election results as it helps determines the next leader of a country, but the presence of two strong parties in this poll indicates that there is a degree of strong polarisation which one party will be wary about). So the fact that it attracts strong opinions demonstrates a software issue.

I brought up the issue of representation in my original post and left that as an open question.

Ok so if for e.g. playing as Sunderland you find a world beater which for some FM reasons was never scouted by Man United, it should be very difficult for you to hold onto that player for more than one season if he performs exceptionally well for you. He should be snapped up by Man United in the second season right under your nose.

Why should this be hard to program if Rep and PA have too much influence?

Better answered by SI, but given that something thats been somewhat unbalanced for some time, clearly getting the balance is harder that it seems.

I know Erimus, but i cant wait. its sad that i have much more Fifa12 gameplay hours this year then FM12. But first game is much bigger challenge and tons of fun. The first time I've ever had anything to do with relegation. But also the most entertaining (career mode). Im on lots of football forums and you cant belive, on other forums people are happy when game is hard to beat. So we are not crazy after all.

I'll just give another example, from personal experience, of how self-selecting internet opinions vary vastly from the general.

When the BBC relaunched Doctor Who in 2005 I loved it: I thought it was much better than the original which I had loved as a kid in the 60s. So I went to the largest Doctor Who forum on the net expecting to find fellow enthusiasts to go "wow, wasn't last night great," with.

The forum had about 5,000 users. About 200 (and I can be fairly sure of the figure, after every show there was a poll on how good it was, and ever single week there were about 200 votes for "awful) of them thought Russell T Davies (the head writer and executive producer) was the Antichrist, hated everything he said, every week's show was the worst ever, and so on. Those 200 people were much, much more motivated than ones who thought it was pretty good and probably accounted for 20-25% of all the posts.

If you'd based your opinion of how popular Doctor Who was on that forum you'd have thought it was loathed. In a broader sense it was extremely popular: the most viewed drama, bar soaps in the UK, winning hatfuls of awards, fantastic reviews. There were some people on that forum who worked in the media and had access to the AI figures, the BBC's internal market research into how much the audience liked the show. Figures were fantastic, almost as good as David Attenborough documentaries (which are pretty much perfect in AI terms) and way, way above most drama.

But if you'd listened to the voices on the internet Russell T Davies should have been sacked. And some of them said so, "we're the real fans, the BBC should listen to us, not the 10 million watching the show." 200 unhappy punters does not mean everybody is unhappy.

Postings like "all my friends, even the mothers and nephews of all my of my friends have all the same opinion", are not worth to read, to be honest. If they want to share their opinion they could join this forum. :)

Volunteering samples are not statistically worthless. They suffer from the problem that those who volunteer may not be representative (not "aren't").

The difficulty lies in the fact that random sampling or systematic sampling is difficult and will need to be implemented by SI on a population-wide basis. I'd question whether SI would even bother doing this, too.

Volunteering samples have their uses in that they are quick and dirty. That it suffers from self-selecting bias does not necessarily make it statistically worthless.

Even the likes of random sampling often suffer from different types of selection bias.

Volunteer samples are shunned in various areas such as economics and geography because those that do volunteer are often very different to those who are not (i.e. Internet polling in Africa). This is less of an issue here because this is THE official forum, and with FM12, everyone who plays FM12 needs to have an Internet connection, for example.

The other thing that is important to note is that the actual proportions do not really matter when it comes to software quality, as the presence of unhappy folk, no matter how small, is an issue (i.e. we are interested in hypothetical election results as it helps determines the next leader of a country, but the presence of two strong parties in this poll indicates that there is a degree of strong polarisation which one party will be wary about). So the fact that it attracts strong opinions demonstrates a software issue.

I brought up the issue of representation in my original post and left that as an open question.

The problem with volunteering samples is exactly that; People choose whether to vote or not. As in the vocal part of the group(Whether it be the minority or the majority). The method has a massive flaw. Namely, the only people who will vote are the people who are problems with the difficulty in the first place. As in the people who think the game is too easy. Those who find it too hard or decently balanced wont post as the entire view of the poll has been skewed horribly. Your intentions are good and solid enough; Something like this would help SI. IF and only IF the poll was balanced however.

The poll seems to be decent, but the whole premise falls apart if you read the OP.

It's not what people think about the game, thats not what the OP wants to hear, he's not here to research what people think about the game. He wants people to simply say. Yes the game is too hard, no the game is too easy. He provides ample "evidence" the game is too easy, but completely ignores the other side. His intentions might have been good but the excecution of the whole process was cocked up so hard that the whole topic turned into a "+1" fest where people say yeah the game is too hard and high five each other. You're not getting any accurate results from the topic, all you are getting is the vocal group telling each other they're right, and the people who find the game hard/balanced in terms of difficulty providing their opinions and leaving it at that. Theres a reason publically accepted polls are done by actual marketing and research groups; They know what they're doing. This topic does not, it was biased from the start completely discrediting any value the results might of have had.

As i said, the intentions of this thread... Not that bad really, but the wording of the first post and the vocal group being the one finding the game too easy makes the results null&void sadly. It's the same with the "steam sucks" threads. There's a lot of complaints... which account for LESS THAN ONE PERCENT of the ACTIVE forum userbase, nevermind the userbase that's not registered or that bought the game. But due to them actually posting while the others don't really care about it, it makes it look like the game has a lot of problems. I'm not saying the difficulty might not be too easy, but this thread definitely does not answer that question. Theres a reason polls are done in a scientific manner; It's to get accurate results. Something you cant get out of a thread that does not follow ANY scientific guidelines whatsoever.

You have a point, even random selection will have a representative bias, I'm not arguing with that; Any sort of poll you do is not going to be 100% accurate even if you poll every person on the planet as there is going to be some sort of bias or another. The problem here is that this thread takes bias and runs with it to the other side of the solar system.

I have nothing against you, i want this poll to be succesful and actually show results but the problem is that... it simply doesn't. It's two groups arguing amongst themselves and even if people in the same group have differing opinions they will concede to the general opinion of the group, if you hate the difficulty but think that it's not that bad? Well you still better vote for the game being too easy or you might just be ostracized by the same people you're agreeing with, albeit with a different "intensity"(Hello political parties). It's people who think the game is too easy vs everyone else. Instead of everyone being a neutral party and voting what they think for. THAT is what is the major problem here, it's not a poll. It's a war of ideologies.

Meh walls of text, not like anyone can be bothered to read them. It's fun to write though i guess.

KUBI-

Lol, is this getting personal? Yes, there was problem where defenders scored like 20 goals per season. If you want to search more, add my post where i said that FM was great that year. I dont remember what version. but i know i wrote that 2. Kubi, all you do on this forum is arguing with people who dont think same as SI. So that makes you their . . . . e.

P.s. Belive me i would not search your threads, you are not important for me. But thanks you find me important. Im dam good looking 2.

Seems to me that there needs to be some kind of acceptance on both sides here.

I, speaking only for myself, do find this game much easier than previous incarnations. I am also willing to accept that there will be many people delighted with the game.

In the past I was one of the people who laughed at the "it is too easy" brigade - as usually I am pretty hopeless at the game to be honest.

This year is different. There has been a change somewhere within the game - unintentional I assume - that has altered the difficulty for many players.

All I hope is that SI can eventually work something out to help/reassure those previously loyal customers (like me) that they are at the very least considering alterations to difficulty "levels/settings" for this and/or future games.

If the game stays as it is for next year I honestly won't be buying it as there is little enjoyment in playing a management simulation that presents little in the way of continuing challenges.

The series is in danger of turning into almost an "arcade" game rather than an in-depth attempt at a "realistic" football management sim.

As I said in a previous post, I have never complained about FM until now - and I have been playing the game since the days of CM93 and CMItalia etc...

As for arguments over this poll or that poll being correct, I don't really care. I simply want a more realistic game for my money.:)

All what I do is trying to bring things into proportion. There are some people using this thread for their own personal attacks against the money making game developers. They are doing it every year and they just jump on some band-wagons without adding anything to the discussion.

If there is something wrong in the game it needs testing and a lot of examples and not just a few screenshots and the same people posting all over again that SI did fail again, bla, bla. :)

I, speaking only for myself, do find this game much easier than previous incarnations. I am also willing to accept that there will be many people delighted with the game.

In the past I was one of the people who laughed at the "it is too easy" brigade - as usually I am pretty hopeless at the game to be honest.

This year is different. There has been a change somewhere within the game - unintentional I assume - that has altered the difficulty for many players.

It could be interesting to know, why you think it has become easier? What's the difference for you? Is it easier just to win matches with your tactic or is there something else, like the behaviour of the other clubs? Did you start with the same club and using similar tactics? As the ME is the same, the difference must come from something else, probably some small parts interacting in a wrong or not intended way.

Sure KUBI, if you didnt read my last post, please do. I think i gave few very good ideas about how to make game better. And if you read my thread well, youll notice that i am passionate and care for this game. I dont care if they make lots of money, because im happy man. But for real, do you think this product worth 30 pounds? answer is yes if you didnt buy FM11, but if you did, thananswer is no, big NO. they should put 15 pounds. why you think game is out so early? its almost same like FM11, they didnt even touch player ratings much. not to mention MATCH ENGINE, ups.

P.s. Mr. Miles was making nice video blogs, marketing was doing their job 2. Nice selling of "air" if you ask me. Thats their right, but then its our right too, to say our thoughts about it.

Sure KUBI, if you didnt read my last post, please do. I think i gave few very good ideas about how to make game better. And if you read my thread well, youll notice that i am passionate and care for this game. I dont care if they make lots of money, because im happy man. But for real, do you think this product worth 30 pounds? answer is yes if you didnt buy FM11, but if you did, than its not worth. why you think game is out so early? its almoust same like FM11, they didnt even touch player ratings much. not to mention MATCH ENGINE, ups.

I think the game is it worth as I think FM2012 is the best FM edition so far, a lot better than FM2011.

It could be interesting to know, why you think it has become easier? What's the difference for you? Is it easier just to win matches or is there something else, like the behaviour of the other clubs? Did you start with the same club and using similar tactics? As the ME is the same, the difference must come from something else, probably some small parts interacting in a wrong or not intended way.

I am using similar tactics and club as in the past, but winning games is so much easier than previous versions. A quick for instance - I started a new game today as Rangers manager (again!) I have managed to qualify for the Champions League group stages (OK so far), but having reached there, I have beaten Villareal 3-0 at home, Dinamo (Croatia) 4-1 away, FC Porto 3-0 at home then 3-1 away. In the league, I have lost 1 game (which I actually cheered at!!!) 2-1 away to Hearts. To put this into context, I haven't signed anybody! In previous versions, you would have to be wheeling and dealing as Rangers to even reach the Champions League where you would (realistically in my experience as a fan) get battered in the first season at least.

Yes, in subsequent seasons, things would improve when you "built" your own team etc, but to achieve this in the first season is surprising to me.

My next move is to attempt what Erimus1876 has done to see if there is a difference using the same tactics etc.

I think the game is it worth as I think FM2012 is the best FM edition so far, a lot better than FM2011.

Out of interest, what aspects of FM12 make it a lot better than FM11 for you? For me, yes the game is very easy on the eye but other than that it feels like a transfer update to FM11.

It could be interesting to know, why you think it has become easier? What's the difference for you? Is it easier just to win matches with your tactic or is there something else, like the behaviour of the other clubs? Did you start with the same club and using similar tactics? As the ME is the same, the difference must come from something else, probably some small parts interacting in a wrong or not intended way.

I can't answer for hatmab123 but for me its easier to win games than ever before, and I don't need to do much to manage it either. I don't need to make tactics and strategies to outwit my opponent, the default ones are good enough. I don't have to buy players, even with the worst team in the league, my squad seems good enough to push for promotion without new blood, and despite them being relegation certs. I don't have to train my players, we still win and often dominate games. I don't do teamtalks either.

Basically renaming the game to Football Spectator would be quite apt, because thats what I feel like I am. I should have to utilise at least some of the features given to me to outwit my opponent and gain an advantage, at the moment its like I have to not use anything at all, just pick the team, use 442, and ingame shouts ant thats enough to rake in the points. FM11 was nowhere near that simple.

I've played as -

Barnet (twice) - relegation fodder. 5th after 18 games, and 9th after 15 (no transfers)

Bishops Stortford - relegation fodder. Top after 14 games (no transfers)

Hartlepool - predicted midtable - was top and 8 points clear in February (no transfers)

And one other I forgot, but same old story.

I'm now playing in the Northern League county division and am finally having the challenge after 5 or 6 attempts (bottom 3 after 12 games).

Out of interest, what aspects of FM12 make it a lot better than FM11 for you? For me, yes the game is very easy on the eye but other than that it feels like a transfer update to FM11.

There are about 100 small changes and additions that I very like, nothing that makes the game complete new, but adds a better overall game play, including improved interaction and better interface with more vital information on the main screens.

I can't answer for hatmab123 but for me its easier to win games than ever before, and I don't need to do much to manage it either. I don't need to make tactics and strategies to outwit my opponent, the default ones are good enough. I don't have to buy players, even with the worst team in the league, my squad seems good enough to push for promotion without new blood, and despite them being relegation certs. I don't have to train my players, we still win and often dominate games. I don't do teamtalks either.

Basically renaming the game to Football Spectator would be quite apt, because thats what I feel like I am. I should have to utilise at least some of the features given to me to outwit my opponent and gain an advantage, at them moment its like I have to not use anything at all, just pick the team, use 442, and ingame shouts ant thats enough to rake in the points. FM11 was nowhere near that simple.

:applause: Just about hits the nail on the head for me too.

You see, thats where you and me are diffrent. Ill agree with you that you can say something like that. For you its best FM so far, thats nice. Probably first time in 10 years you won some competition and now you are happy like a child when you give him candy.

Now for real answer, i agree that game is good, because 90 % in the game was already there, from previous FM versions. Follow me? WHat makes game bad is that its crazy easy 2 beat. AI is so stupid. But i guess for you is smart. Thats what you trying to say, right?

There are about 100 small changes and additions that I very like, nothing that makes the game complete new, but adds a better overall game play, including improved interaction and better interface with more vital information on the main screens.

The game isnt any easier than FM11, what im achieving now i could do in FM11, and before that. But it is far more intuitive that FM11, and some of those who couldnt overachieve before, seem to be able to now.

The AI does need work, right across the board, but it isnt unique to FM12. There isnt some grand conspiracy behind it all

Archived