[FM12] Now You Do Not Punish Someone, English Or Otherwise, For Being Rubbish At FM...

SnakeXe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sahin is a bargain at £1.5m. He's only 31 so not like he's on his last legs. Tainha looks like he should really good, expecting a lot of goals from him

The funny thing is I nearly didn't buy him since I was planning on a hard-working centre midfield pairing to counterbalance the four attackers in my 4-2-3-1, but I'm so glad I did, he is just a different class.

Check out his goal in this match - absolutely wonderful strike. He hit some gorgeous passes in it too, shame none of them resulted in a goal.

[video=youtube;byQ7K6azaLE]

Blimey, are you crapping money?! That's an impressive bank balance :eek:

Surprising they only gave you £7m to spend. I would have thought you'd be looking at something in the £20m+ region.

England beating Germany, France and Spain in a major tournament isn't very realistic though ;)

Blimey, are you crapping money?! That's an impressive bank balance :eek:

Surprising they only gave you £7m to spend. I would have thought you'd be looking at something in the £20m+ region.

England beating Germany, France and Spain in a major tournament isn't very realistic though ;)

The board must be very concerned at our huge stadium loan (and so they should be, £886k per month for 29 years works out at £616m to borrow £172m - absolutely terrible deal), as by any other measure our finances are in rude health.

I know, England have been far too successful. It's quite upsetting! ;)

You certainly have quite a selection of Turkish talent at Werder. Sahin, Eryilmaz, Derdiyok (Swiss national team but really Turkish) and Ekici all playing for you!

Yeah I think we have more Turks than Germans! Although Ekici and Sahin are both German-born.

By being from a Turkish family. Lots of Turkish players are German born, ditto for Poles though most of them choose to be German.

Like Klose and Podolski for two - although they were even born in Poland.

Season 9: Halfway House Update

The season kicked off with the DFL-Supercup, which was the inaugural match at our new Werder Bremen Stadium. The opponents were league champions Leverkusen, who we'd beaten a couple of times last year but who had also delivered some thrashings our way. A slightly lucky 2-1 win was good enough for me as I checked off a second, albeit slightly rubbish, trophy at Bremen.

From there it all went briefly pear-shaped. We started the league with a couple of draws that had all the hallmarks of us at our worst last season - sterile attacks that broke down as soon as they looked like they might go somewhere, weak shooting, and last-minute concessions. We then compounded this by managing to go out of the DFB-Pokal on penalties to a 2. Bundesliga side at the first hurdle. Brilliant.

To compound that, our third match in the league saw us gift Hoffenheim a 3 goal headstart, which, surprisingly enough, we couldn't quite recover from. I almost ditched my new, more expansive tactics right then and there, but I'm so very glad I didn't.

First a 4-0 win over Oberhausen to bust us out of our funk, then successive wins over Bayern (A), Dortmund (H), and Leverkusen (A) saw our confidence and mine skyrocket!

6 more league wins on the trot followed, before we finally succumbed to a draw away at Schalke. We hopped back on the winning trail straight after though, with successive wins over Koln and Stuttgart, before closing the year out with a rollicking 5-1 victory at home to Furth, leaving us 8 points clear at the top - an absolute chasm even at this relatively early stage.

In Europe we drew Lech Poznan in the qualifying round, which we sailed through 7-1 on aggregate despite it falling in the middle of our start-of-season travails. We were rewarded with the easiest group I've ever seen. Serie A bottom-half side Torino were the trickiest foes, with Crvena Zvezda a shadow of their early 90's golden age, and the group completed by, bizarrely, Ligue 2 side Creteil-Lusitanos, who had somehow won the Coupe de France last season despite nearly getting relegated to the National.

Unsurprisingly, not much resistance was encountered, with a 1-1 draw away in Turin despite creating 6 clear cut chances to their 0 the only blot on our copy book. We'll play Feyenoord in the next round, and then the winner of West Ham v Vitesse should we progress.

The Good

• Top of the table by miles
  • All the new signings have bedded in nicely and the football is magic at times
  • Comfortable passage in Europe

The Bad

• The DFB-Pokal debacle
  • Ekici has missed most of the season so far
  • Although we have a huge buffer in terms of our healthy balance, we're losing around £5m a month which is worrying

Results - League Table - Squad

Just keeping up now after missing the last few days of updates, well done to win the german cup, crucial in getting that european spot. But I'm disappointed you only put 8 past Lusitanos in the games against them. :D

I think Deisler (the guy from the Catennacio thread) needs to take some tips from the Hannover manager, that's some thrilling football there. :thup:

Just keeping up now after missing the last few days of updates, well done to win the german cup, crucial in getting that european spot. But I'm disappointed you only put 8 past Lusitanos in the games against them. :D

I think Deisler (the guy from the Catennacio thread) needs to take some tips from the Hannover manager, that's some thrilling football there. :thup:

Well I did play a shadow 11 in both matches against them, I dread to think what the scoreline would have ended up as had Tainha played! Haha yeah he's rubbish, scores far too many goals :p

You're flying in the league :thup:

Well hopefully we've built up a decent buffer to the perils of re-ranking anyway. It's weird how it seems to happen like a lightswitch around halfway through. Shouldn't be too bad for us though as we were still predicted 6th.

Slow start but things seemed to turn around after the Hoffenheim result. Was that a tweak of tactics or just bedding in period? Nice return from Tainha so far

Probably a bedding in period more than anything, but I did tweak a few things.

To begin with I had Tainha as a false-nine, the AMC looking to run beyond him, both wingers moving into channels, both fullbacks getting forward, and Sahin as a DLP alongside Ignjovski as a ball winning midfielder.

I changed it slightly to have Tainha as an advanced forward with the AMC looking to feed balls through to him, only the left winger moving into channels whilst the right hugged the touchline, and only the left back getting forward to provide width on that side, whilst both central midfielders had the normal central midfielder duty, with Ignjovski given a defensive role and Sahin the support role but told to stay deeper.

Basically it allows Ignjovski and Sahin to play as a double-pivot but slightly higher up the pitch than normal. This takes advantage of the fact that my defenders are good on the ball and can still find them regularly even though they're slightly further away. The high double-pivot also provides a big advantage in terms of winning the ball back high up the pitch if it's lost with a wayward cross or someone gets a clearance in, since the ball usually falls in their area. It also allows Sahin to really spray the passes round to the four attackers, with the AMC constantly searching for space and playing cute through balls when given the opportunity (like the one for the opening goal in the video I posted).

The AML moving into channels means he'll sometimes go wide and sometimes cut inside, which adds variety to our play, and we've scored a lot of goals from him coming inside, playing a ball inbetween fullback and centreback for the right winger, and him either shooting or crossing for an on-rushing Tainha. That's why I decided to have the AMR stay wide rather than do the same, as it keeps the width high up the pitch and encourages this sort of move.

I love it when a plan comes together!

Looking very comfortable at the top of the Bundesliga. Your tactical tweaks have really made the difference :thup:

Are Bayern still the dominant force in German football? Or are things more even now? It certainly looks a bit of a sea-change now anyway.

Looking very comfortable at the top of the Bundesliga. Your tactical tweaks have really made the difference :thup:

Are Bayern still the dominant force in German football? Or are things more even now? It certainly looks a bit of a sea-change now anyway.

Bayern have won more titles than anyone else since the beginning of the save (5), so they're still overall the team to beat (although they have even dropped out of the Champions League spots on a couple of occasions). Dortmund took two, Leverkusen the most recent, and even Freiburg managed one in 2014. If we can keep our lead it'd be Werder's first title since 2004, which would be very nice!

Well since I'm finally at a team where I can basically pick and choose my players (within reason), I thought I'd push the boat out a bit tactically! I've used quite a few different shapes so far in my career, but largely stuck with a rigid 4-5-1 which was basically "get the ball to my winger who is vastly more talented than anyone else in the league and tell him to run until he sees chalk in front of him". Obviously I had to change that a bit when I was an underdog in my last seasons at Southend and Wigan, but it worked out pretty well the rest of the time.

150px-Werder_Bremen.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 9 - 2020/21

Story of the Season:

1. Bundesliga - 1st

With an 8 point lead through the winter break I was anticipating a leisurely stroll to the title. When the wins kept coming I thought it'd be sewn up with weeks to spare. However, Leverkusen were like a particularly tenacious leech, and were sucking on our arse with all their might. When a 2-0 loss to Dortmund finally ended our unbeaten run that had lasted since matchday 4, they snuck back to 7 points behind. We reestablished our lead in the next match, beating them at home, but that defeat at Dortmund gave the players a small case of the yips, and we lost the next two away matches as well. Couple that with imperious Leverkusen form and a 4 point lead suddenly looked much less commanding.

Fortunately, despite coming as close as 1 point behind, their form dithered just as ours improved, and we secured the title with a home win over Stuttgart in the penultimate match - a final day win over Furth just putting the gloss on it.

DFB-Pokal - 1st Round (lost v Essen)The less said about this the better.

DFL-Supercup - Winners

A hard-fought win over Leverkusen set the tone for the season.

Europa League - Semi-final (lost v Everton)

Feyenoord didn't put up much fight in the first round, and neither did West Ham in the second. The quarter finals saw us take on PSV, where a 5-0 win in the home leg did the damage. Everton did much the same to us in the semi, with a 4-0 win in the first leg, which we were unable to overturn despite giving it a very good go.

Results 1 - Results 2 - Squad

Transfers - £36M spent

Pretty much all my transfers worked out to at least some degree this year - makes a nice change!

Finances

Quite healthy, although how we managed to only barely make a profit this season despite winning the Bundesliga with the 7th highest wage total I don't know. Hopefully the Champions League money will make a difference.

5 Most Important Players:

5. Nuri Sahin - DM/MC - Had he kept up his early season form he may have topped this list. Definitely needs a deputy for next season.

4. Alan Baena - ML/AMRLC - Some crucial goals as well as a few assists. If they kept records for secondary assists (i.e. assisting the assister) I'd wager he got a fair few of them.

3. Danny Wilson - DLC - A rock at the back - a model of fitness as well.

2. Mustafa Eryilmaz - M/AMRC - Great season from the speed-merchant, scoring and assisting in equal measure.

1. Tainha - ST - So that's what a top striker could do in this team. Adamczyk, hang your head in shame.

History:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season  | Team            | League                | Country      | Position | Notes                                          |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2012/13 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Semi-finalists                         |
| 2013/14 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 3rd      | Resigned in October                            |
| 2013/14 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 14th     | 15th on arrival in October                     |
| 2014/15 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Winners                                |
| 2015/16 | Darlington      | League Two            | England      | 16th     | Resigned in January                            |
| 2015/16 | Southend United | League One            | England      | 21st     | Relegated, 24th on arrival in March            |
| 2016/17 | Southend United | League Two            | England      | 1st      | League Two Champions                           |
| 2017/18 | Southend United | League One            | England      | 2nd      | Promoted                                       |
| 2018/19 | Southend United | Championship          | England      | 17th     | Resigned in October                            |
| 2018/19 | Wigan Athletic  | Championship          | England      | 4th      | 13th on arrival in October, Playoff Winners    |
| 2019/20 | Wigan Athletic  | Premier League        | England      | 15th     | Left in December                               |
| 2019/20 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 8th      | 14th on arrival in December, DFB-Pokal Winners |
| 2020/21 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 1st      | 1. Bundesliga Champions, EL Semi-Finalists     |

Next Season:

Improve the squad depth, retain the Bundesliga, and see what happens in the Champions League - all very exciting!

Former Club Watch:

Weymouth F.C.:

More mediocrity.

Season    League                  Position  Notes                  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13*  Blue Square South       2nd       Playoff semi-finalists
2013/14*  Blue Square South       9th       I left in October (resigned)
2014/15   Blue Square South       10th      -
2015/16   Blue Square South       19th      -
2016/17   Blue Square South       9th       FA Cup 2nd Round
2017/18   Blue Square South       3rd       Playoff Winners
2018/19   Blue Square Premier     21st      Relegated
2019/20   Blue Square South       14th      -
2020/21   Blue Square South       14th      -

NB * indicates that I was in charge for at least part of the season.

Darlington F.C.:

Nearly a double relegation - that would have been a disaster!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14*  Blue Square Premier     14th      I joined in October
2014/15*  Blue Square Premier     2nd       Playoff Winners
2015/16*  League Two              18th      I left in January (resigned)
2016/17   League Two              17th      JPT North Quarter Final
2017/18   League Two              15th      FA Cup 3rd Round
2018/19   League Two              3rd       Promoted
2019/20   League One              22nd      Relegated, FA Cup 4th Round
2020/21   League Two              20th      -

Southend United:

Great season for The Shrimpers.

2015/16*  League One              21st      Relegated, I joined in March
2016/17*  League Two              1st       League Two Winners
2017/18*  League One              2nd       Promoted
2018/19*  Championship            15th      I left in October (resigned)
2019/20   Championship            20th      -
2020/21   Championship            12th      FA Cup 5th Round

Wigan Athletic:

Amazingly managed to win the League Cup! And then get relegated. Well done, Tony Coton. That's what you get for not using the excellent players I left you.

2018/19*  Championship            4th       I joined in October, Playoff Winners
2019/20*  Premier League          11th      I left in December (job offer)
2020/21   Premier League          18th      League Cup Winners, Relegated

Thanks all :)

As for our capabilities in the Champions League, we're probably a couple of first teamers away from a side that could win it, but the overall quality of the squad is probably far too low to successfully challenge for both the Champions League and Bundesliga title. Even this season I basically had to decide between the league and Europa League after the quarter final, because we were in danger of slipping behind Leverkusen domestically.

That said, it looks like we can beat mostly anyone on our day. We did the double over Leverkusen and they got to the Champions League semi, so who knows?

Well done, an excellent first full season for you, but I'm surprised how terrible Bayern were.

Good to see that Wigan will be in next year's Europa League, and, er, The Championship too :D

Bayern have Oliver Kahn in charge, and like most former legendary players returning as manager he's been rubbish. Considering they've won half of the league titles since the start of the game, and no other side have won more than two, it's quite a fall from grace.

Bah, you could have won the Premier League with Stoke instead.

I might be decent at this management lark (cue relegation next season), but I don't think I'm that good, Nobby. ;)

150px-Werder_Bremen.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 10 Preview - Werder Bremen

Board Expectations:

1. Bundesliga - Title challenge (Predicted 1st out of 18)

DFB-Pokal - Final

Champions League - First knockout round

DFL-Supercup - Unimportant

My Expectations:

1. Bundesliga - I won't be too gutted if we don't retain it, but only if that's due to a deep Champions League run

DFB-Pokal - Anything better than last year's debacle

Champions League - I'll agree with the board and say getting past the group stages would be enough this time

DFL-Supercup - Not too bothered this year, but it'd be nice to win

Budgets:

Transfer: £0 (£0 remaining)

Wages: £862,471/week (£723,216/week currently)

Balance: £34,419,033 (-£21,679,514 since last season)

Squad:

A fair few high earners shipped out (or retired in the case of Marin and Derdiyok) and plenty of young potential. Not that I had much choice with that measly budget.

Key Men:

Goalkeeper/Defence

Luis Guilherme - GK - For 80% of last season he shored up our defence very well. Has competition this year in the form of former Stuttgart keeper Bernd Leno.

Midfield

Mustafa Eryilmaz - M/AMRC - If he can be as devastating against Champions League defences as against Bundesliga ones we're always going to have a chance.

Careca - M/AMC - With Ekici utterly failing in the attacking midfield role due to injury and terrible form, the young Brazil U20 star has a big chance (following me failing to get Ozil back to Bremen, after his utterly outlandish wage demands).

Strikers

Tainha - AMC/ST - Hopefully Reiß and Kacar can ease the scoring burden on him a little this year - I have a feeling he'll do even better with a rest once in a while.

I haven't bought FM12 so hopefully impressions from highlight skew the image somewhat. But from highlights I've seen from countless matches now, it seems like defence is pretty poor. Not particularly in those two shots as they are cracking longshots (though the goalie should be questioned), but quite often I'm seeing defenders not bother running back, pressing poorly, reacting to throughballs way too late, strikers easily gliding through defences - that kinda stuff. How do you rate the match engine now, does it feel fairly realistic or "good" when you are playing 'live'?

Archived