[FM12] Now You Do Not Punish Someone, English Or Otherwise, For Being Rubbish At FM...

SnakeXe

A lot has happened since I last popped into this thread. Fantastic work winning the the Champions League with Werder and a good move to Arsenal too :thup:

Koster looks phenominal - although I don't think I could ever have it in me to spend £60M on one player, but I guess when you're backed by a tycoon money is no object :D. It's interesting to see MK Dons in the prem in your save(although, it doesn't look like they will be there for much longer). In mine they suffered 3 successive relegations and are stuck in the Blue Square North, £40M in debt :lol:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wouldn't be Arsenal without relying on one striker to score all the goals :D

Looks in pretty good stead though, a few points off the top which is no problem to overtake if you get a good run of games. Good luck for the second half of the season :thup:

Haha indeed! I was thinking how much my Arsenal side is actually similar to the real one - plenty of fancy passing but if the one good striker doesn't score, we probably won't!

A lot has happened since I last popped into this thread. Fantastic work winning the the Champions League with Werder and a good move to Arsenal too

Koster looks phenominal - although I don't think I could ever have it in me to spend £60M on one player, but I guess when you're backed by a tycoon money is no object :D. It's interesting to see MK Dons in the prem in your save(although, it doesn't look like they will be there for much longer). In mine they suffered 3 successive relegations and are stuck in the Blue Square North, £40M in debt :lol:

Cheers!

Yeah in my first season I was still looking for at least a little value for money, whereas last summer I just threw economic logic out the window and chucked whatever money it took at the players I wanted. I nearly paid £88m for another striker, but then had the lower bid accepted for Koster who was just as good so pulled out of that deal.

I think I prefer what happened in your game to MK Dons to be honest! I guess you have to bury the hatchet eventually, they got what they deserved from the move (relegation to the fourth tier and no fans), time to just treat them as a new startup club.

200px-Arsenal_1886-2011_Logo.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 13 - 2024/25

Story of the Season:

Premier League - 1st

Man City looked to be on the march to the title in Ferbruary and March but whilst they hit a sticky spot, we didn't, and effectively sealed the title with an emphatic 4-0 win over them at the Emirates. Despite finishing 2nd, Liverpool were never really in the title race.

FA Cup - 6th Round (lost v Liverpool)

Much better this season - although it took us a replay in the 3rd Round to knock out Championship side Birmingham, we made short work of Stockport and Burnley in the latter rounds before losing out to Liverpool away in the 6th. It was 1-1 until late on when Liverpool had a man sent off, I went for the win and they scored on the break. Would have made more sense to ensure we got a replay in hindsight, we'd have torn them asunder in North London.

League Cup - Final (lost v Everton on penalties)

Almost exactly the same as last year - saw off Liverpool with a good 5-0 aggregate win before conspiring to beat ourselves in the final.

Champions League - Quarter-final (lost v Real Madrid)

Having snuck a 1-1 draw in Paris we humped PSG 6-0 at home, to leave us in good spirits going into a tricky game against the most successful European side ever.

A 0-1 loss in the Bernebeu slightly flattered them, but wasn't a bad result. We outshot them 16-1 in the home leg but again we were our own worst enemy, home profligacy knocking us out of Europe for the second year running. Particularly frustrating as the semi-final would have been against Werder Bremen.

Results 1 - Results 2 - Results 3 - Squad

Transfers - £161.5M spent

Pushed the boat out this year, it was worth it.

Finances

Again, fairly pointless screen but I'll be consistent.

5 Most Important Players:

5. David Margreiter - MC/AMRC - Decent enough season for the Austrian.

4. Jose Gonzalez - D/WB/ML - Would have been higher for that AvR except his deputy was pretty good too so we didn't miss him as much as the other guys on here when he missed a game.

3. Bruninho - M/AMC - Graduated from promising youth to first team stalwart.

2. Dario Aguero - DC - Classy defender in the Pique mould - physical enough when required but technically gifted and smart enough to generally not.

1. Gino Koster - AMC/ST - Wow. Just wow. Broke Andy Cole's 22-year-old record as well.

History:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season  | Team            | League                | Country      | Position | Notes                                                 |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2012/13 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Semi-finalists                                |
| 2013/14 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 3rd      | Resigned in October                                   |
| 2013/14 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 14th     | 15th on arrival in October                            |
| 2014/15 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Winners                                       |
| 2015/16 | Darlington      | League Two            | England      | 16th     | Resigned in January                                   |
| 2015/16 | Southend United | League One            | England      | 21st     | Relegated, 24th on arrival in March                   |
| 2016/17 | Southend United | League Two            | England      | 1st      | League Two Champions                                  |
| 2017/18 | Southend United | League One            | England      | 2nd      | Promoted                                              |
| 2018/19 | Southend United | Championship          | England      | 17th     | Resigned in October                                   |
| 2018/19 | Wigan Athletic  | Championship          | England      | 4th      | 13th on arrival in October, Playoff Winners           |
| 2019/20 | Wigan Athletic  | Premier League        | England      | 15th     | Left in December                                      |
| 2019/20 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 8th      | 14th on arrival in December, DFB-Pokal Winners        |
| 2020/21 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 1st      | B'liga Champions, Supercup Winners, EL Semi-Finalists |
| 2021/22 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 2nd      | Supercup Winners, CL & DFB-Pokal Semi-Finalists       |
| 2022/23 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 1st      | B'liga Champions, Champions League Winners            |
| 2023/24 | Arsenal         | Premier League        | England      | 2nd      | Champ's League Semi-Finalists, League Cup Finalists   |
| 2024/25 | Arsenal         | Premier League        | England      | 1st      | Premier League Winners, League Cup Finalists          |

Next Season:

Much better this year, our form in the second half of the season was exactly what I hoped for. We still have the odd blip where we fail to break someone down, or ship a silly goal, but that's to be expected. Hopefully next season we can push on from this and claim the multiple trophies we should be capable of. Obviously, the big one I'd like before I leave the club is the Champions League. I've got three years left on my contract here, so a Champions League crown in the next two seasons and a shot at the Club World Cup before I leave would be ideal.

Former Club Watch:

Weymouth F.C.:

Out of the playable leagues so who knows?

Season    League                  Position  Notes                  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13*  Blue Square South       2nd       Playoff Semi-finalists
2013/14*  Blue Square South       9th       I left in October (resigned)
2014/15   Blue Square South       10th      -
2015/16   Blue Square South       19th      -
2016/17   Blue Square South       9th       FA Cup 2nd Round
2017/18   Blue Square South       3rd       Playoff Winners
2018/19   Blue Square Premier     21st      Relegated
2019/20   Blue Square South       14th      -
2020/21   Blue Square South       14th      -
2021/22   Blue Square South       19th      -
2022/23   Blue Square South       18th      -
2023/24   Blue Square South       22nd      Relegated
2024/25   N/A                     N/A       FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

NB * indicates that I was in charge for at least part of the season.

Darlington F.C.:

Kind of a dull season really for the Quakers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14*  Blue Square Premier     14th      I joined in October
2014/15*  Blue Square Premier     2nd       Playoff Winners
2015/16*  League Two              18th      I left in January (resigned)
2016/17   League Two              17th      JPT North Quarter Final
2017/18   League Two              15th      FA Cup 3rd Round
2018/19   League Two              3rd       Promoted
2019/20   League One              22nd      Relegated, FA Cup 4th Round
2020/21   League Two              20th      -
2021/22   League Two              6th       FA Cup 4th Round, Playoff Semi-finalists
2022/23   League Two              9th       JPT North Quarter Final
2023/24   League Two              16th      JPT North Semi Final
2024/25   League Two              11th      -

Southend United:

The Shrimpers narrowly avoid disaster, just goal difference away from being relegated.

2015/16*  League One              21st      Relegated, I joined in March
2016/17*  League Two              1st       League Two Winners
2017/18*  League One              2nd       Promoted
2018/19*  Championship            15th      I left in October (resigned)
2019/20   Championship            20th      -
2020/21   Championship            12th      FA Cup 5th Round
2021/22   Championship            9th       -
2022/23   Championship            15th      -
2023/24   Championship            16th      FA Cup Semi Final

Wigan Athletic:

Missed out on automatic promotion by just 3 points in a tight Championship, then lost to Southampton in the playoff semi-final.

2018/19*  Championship            4th       I joined in October, Playoff Winners
2019/20*  Premier League          11th      I left in December (job offer)
2020/21   Premier League          18th      League Cup Winners, Relegated
2021/22   Championship            2nd       Promoted, League Cup Quarter-finalists
2022/23   Premier League          17th      FA Cup 6th Round
2023/24   Premier League          19th      Relegated
2024/25   Championship            5th       Playoff Semi-finalists

Werder Bremen:

Never really challenged for the league but good runs in the cup and Champions League.

2019/20*  1. Bundesliga           8th       I joined in December, DFB-Pokal Winners
2020/21*  1. Bundesliga           1st       B'liga, S'cup Winners; EL Semi-finalists
2021/22*  1. Bundesliga           2nd       S'cup Winners; EL, DFB-P Semi-finalists
2022/23*  1. Bundesliga           1st       B'liga, Champs League Winners
2023/24   1. Bundesliga           2nd       CWC, DFB-Pokal Winners
2024/25   1. Bundesliga           4th       Champs League, DFB-Pokal Semi-finalists

Wow. What a season. That goal difference is mean. Koster looks like a decent chap,doesn't he? Damn. 52 goals. van Persie just got slapped with a glove.

Haha yeah he's alright I guess.

Think that's my highest total for any player in any FM ever, actually. I seem to remember a prime Anthony Le Tallec notching 88 back in the days of CM03/04 and Diablo, but I've not exceeded the lower 40s since then.

Fantastic season. Well done on winning the Premier League and I'm sure the Champions League won't be too far off :thup:

Cheers! We could easily have won it in each of the last two seasons with a bit less bad luck - never mind good.

Great season mate, well done :applause:
£60m well spent then. Well done on winning the league :thup:
Woah, Koster was awesome.

Thanks! He was incredible - didn't miss a single game through injury or suspension either.

Got some pussy round your **** then.

Well done on winning the league.

Trust you to lower the tone!

Boo on you spending £161.5m. The Arsenal fans wont know whats hit them!

I think it'll probably be back to normal this summer - the only player I want to sign is a right back from Real Madrid, and they won't accept a penny less than £250m. Whilst I can afford it, I don't want to!

You suck, didn't win everything

There's always next season!

Great Premier League win. Got a bit unlucky against Madrid then. Still, gives you something to aim for next year!

True, it'd be a bit flat staying on another few seasons having already won the important ones.

Bah. Well done......

I do apologise! :p

You're the one posting pictures of pussies on your lap.

Yes, it's clearly my fault. :p

Another great season!

Thanks!

SnakeXe's Career - Season 14 Preview - Arsenal

Board Expectations:

Premier League - Winners (Predicted 1st out of 20)

FA Cup - Winners

League Cup - Unimportant

Community Shield - Unimportant

Champions League - Final

My Expectations:

Premier League - We should retain it although I'll put less focus on that this year to give us a better chance in the other competitions

FA Cup - I'd hope to win it

League Cup - We have to break our hoodoo sometime

Community Shield - As it's Man City, it'd be nice to win it

Champions League - There's no reason why we can't win it finally

Budgets:

Transfer: £108,000,000 (£118,000,000 remaining)

Wages: £3,066,311/week (£2,186,695/week currently)

Balance: £107,542,175 (+£49,509,911 since last season)

Squad:

Not much change to be honest, sold Berget as he was on massive money and pretty pointless, promoted a couple of youths and brought one promising player in on a free.

Key Men:

Goalkeeper/Defence

Dario Aguero - DC - Representative of the pairing in defence of him and Silva, the two are crucial to our chances.

Midfield

Helmut Holz - DM/MC - Probably second only to Koster in terms of individual importance to the side.

Moussa Ali Diallo - MLC - His power and presence makes our midfield tick.

Strikers

Gino Koster - ST - I think everything's been said about this guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Season 14: Halfway House Update

We started the season with a comfortable 1-0 win over Man City in the Community Shield, and continued on a quite remarkable run of form, conceding just one goal until October.

Stoke finally got a flukey win over us in mid-October to end our run of victories, and draws against Ipswich and Boro were disappointing. Our only really poor performance in terms of controlling the game was a 1-2 loss at Old Trafford, but we still managed to throw in a loss away to bottom club Wolves to close out the year in particularly irritating style (two penalties conceded having taken an early lead). Still, a 5 point lead at this stage is an improvement on last year and we still won the title then, so can't complain too vociferously.

The League Cup is traditionally annoying, and this year was no different, with wins over Everton and Chelsea simply leading to the inevitability of our own self-destruction, this year taking the form of a 1-2 defeat at Villa Park which we lost with the final kick of the game.

Champions League action is usually good for us at this early stage, but a kitten-standing-on-spacebar incident led to a poor 1-0 loss to Marseille in the first match whilst I was taking a leak. Luckily we won the rest, doing the double over HSV and Maccabi Haifa to book a date with Stuttgart. HSV edged out Marseille for the runners up spot in a good year for German football, as all four entrants made the knockout stages, more than any other country.

The Good

• Less reliance on Koster
  • Koster is still awesome
  • On course in the two important ones

The Bad

• Another abject farce in the League Cup
  • Dropping points to dross is still a fancy of ours
  • I have three awesome keepers and I don't know which one to use (clutching at straws for a third point much?)

Results - League Table - Squad

That will be the discussion thread, the problem with the Premier League (the top end) is that its too easy. Obscurity is much more fun! I managed to go 30+ seasons in Iceland and still be in love with it!

Strolling it in the league, I saw you say somewhere you were thinking about leaving at the end of the season?
That will be the discussion thread, the problem with the Premier League (the top end) is that its too easy. Obscurity is much more fun! I managed to go 30+ seasons in Iceland and still be in love with it!

Yeah that's the one. I think it's a combination of the tycoon making squad and youngster development almost pointless and not really feeling anything for the club, rather than things being too easy (£200m spent and only one trophy feels like a bit of a failure to me so far!).

I think I'd need to win the Champions League in order to feel like I hadn't failed in this job, hopefully that'll happen this season and I can just make a clean break. If not then it'll be a tough choice.

I'd have to load my saves up to check that exactly, but I managed 30 seasons on FM11 with Messina, and 32 with Merthyr on FM10. At this sort of rate that's around 1500-1600 I think, which sounds about right.

Well done on 700.
Congrats on 700

Cheers gents!

Can see you clearing up in the league (and maybe Champions League too) this season, baring any further kitten mishaps!

Looking strong in both the league and Champions League. Hopefully it's your year to lift the trophy(Champions League).

Let's hope so! I've taken to tabbing out of FM when I leave the computer to avoid any further kitten attacks :p

Talented manager? FM have got it wrong again ;)

Great milestone, 1,000 next!

I know, it's rubbish this edition :D

Just read through this from the very start. Quite a career you've had! That is some Arsenal squad you have built up!

What is your future plans for moving abroad, etc?

Thanks! Yeah in terms of raw individual ability this Arsenal squad is pretty up there with any side I've had on FM. The one thing I don't like about it is the slight lack of an identity which I managed to create at the likes of Messina and Merthyr on previous editions, and to an extent at Werder on this save.

I'm thinking of moving abroad again fairly soon - certainly I won't take another contract here - and after that I'll only come back to English football to manage Bath or Newcastle.

How have Hoffenheim faired since their shocking relegation Snake?

Two 6th placed finishes in 2. Bundesliga, now currently sitting 14th with unstable finances :(

SnakeXe's Career - Season 14 - 2025/26

Story of the Season:

Premier League - 1st

Never in doubt really. Only dropped silly points in the end.

FA Cup - 5th Round (lost v Sunderland)

I don't really want to talk about it.

League Cup - Quarter-final (lost v Aston Villa)

The 5-0 win over Chelsea was nice but then bottled it against Villa.

Champions League - Quarter-final (lost v Barcelona)

Stuttgart were swept aside in the first knockout round but despite two decent performances we only managed one goal against Barca in 180 minutes. They, of course, got 3.

Results 1 - Results 2 -[/url]

- £29.5M spent

Without the massive, slightly unneccessary purchase of Otto, we'd have made a profit.

Finances

Oh no, only £58m in the bank, what'll we do?!

5 Most Important Players:

5. Helmut Holz - DM/MC - Makes the whole side tick.

4. Hassen Meriah - MRC/AMR - Contributed well.

3. Moussa Ali Diallo - MLC - 26 assists plus 8 goals makes this his best season by far.

2. Dario Aguero - DC - Lynchpin in defence, double figures for goals, can't complain!

1. Gino Koster - AMC/ST - A little less spectacular than last season, but still incredible.

History:

| Season  | Team            | League                | Country      | Position | Notes                                                 |
| 2012/13 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Semi-finalists                                |
| 2013/14 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 3rd      | Resigned in October                                   |
| 2013/14 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 14th     | 15th on arrival in October                            |
| 2014/15 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Winners                                       |
| 2015/16 | Darlington      | League Two            | England      | 16th     | Resigned in January                                   |
| 2015/16 | Southend United | League One            | England      | 21st     | Relegated, 24th on arrival in March                   |
| 2016/17 | Southend United | League Two            | England      | 1st      | League Two Champions                                  |
| 2017/18 | Southend United | League One            | England      | 2nd      | Promoted                                              |
| 2018/19 | Southend United | Championship          | England      | 17th     | Resigned in October                                   |
| 2018/19 | Wigan Athletic  | Championship          | England      | 4th      | 13th on arrival in October, Playoff Winners           |
| 2019/20 | Wigan Athletic  | Premier League        | England      | 15th     | Left in December                                      |
| 2019/20 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 8th      | 14th on arrival in December, DFB-Pokal Winners        |
| 2020/21 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 1st      | B'liga Champions, Supercup Winners, EL Semi-Finalists |
| 2021/22 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 2nd      | Supercup Winners, CL & DFB-Pokal Semi-Finalists       |
| 2022/23 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 1st      | B'liga Champions, Champions League Winners            |
| 2023/24 | Arsenal         | Premier League        | England      | 2nd      | Champ's League Semi-Finalists, League Cup Finalists   |
| 2024/25 | Arsenal         | Premier League        | England      | 1st      | Premier League Winners, League Cup Finalists          |
| 2025/26 | Arsenal         | Premier League        | England      | 1st      | Premier League Winners                                |

Next Season:

I'm done with Arsenal and English football. Pay attention, there's a plan swinging into action!

Former Club Watch:

Weymouth F.C.:

No quick return for the Terras.

2012/13*  Blue Square South       2nd       Playoff Semi-finalists
2013/14*  Blue Square South       9th       I left in October (resigned)
2014/15   Blue Square South       10th      -
2015/16   Blue Square South       19th      -
2016/17   Blue Square South       9th       FA Cup 2nd Round
2017/18   Blue Square South       3rd       Playoff Winners
2018/19   Blue Square Premier     21st      Relegated
2019/20   Blue Square South       14th      -
2020/21   Blue Square South       14th      -
2021/22   Blue Square South       19th      -
2022/23   Blue Square South       18th      -
2023/24   Blue Square South       22nd      Relegated
2024/25   N/A                     N/A       FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round
2025/26   N/A                     N/A       -

NB * indicates that I was in charge for at least part of the season.

Darlington F.C.:

Really poor season, but never really in danger of being relegated thanks to a couple of sides hitting administration.

2013/14*  Blue Square Premier     14th      I joined in October
2014/15*  Blue Square Premier     2nd       Playoff Winners
2015/16*  League Two              18th      I left in January (resigned)
2016/17   League Two              17th      JPT North Quarter Final
2017/18   League Two              15th      FA Cup 3rd Round
2018/19   League Two              3rd       Promoted
2019/20   League One              22nd      Relegated, FA Cup 4th Round
2020/21   League Two              20th      -
2021/22   League Two              6th       FA Cup 4th Round, Playoff Semi-finalists
2022/23   League Two              9th       JPT North Quarter Final
2023/24   League Two              16th      JPT North Semi Final
2024/25   League Two              11th      -
2025/26   League Two              19th      -

Southend United:

A slight improvement at least.

2015/16*  League One              21st      Relegated, I joined in March
2016/17*  League Two              1st       League Two Winners
2017/18*  League One              2nd       Promoted
2018/19*  Championship            15th      I left in October (resigned)
2019/20   Championship            20th      -
2020/21   Championship            12th      FA Cup 5th Round
2021/22   Championship            9th       -
2022/23   Championship            15th      -
2023/24   Championship            16th      FA Cup Semi Final
2024/25   Championship            21st      -
2025/26   Championship            19th      -

Wigan Athletic:

A great season, combining an excellent cup run with promotion.

2018/19*  Championship            4th       I joined in October, Playoff Winners
2019/20*  Premier League          11th      I left in December (job offer)
2020/21   Premier League          18th      League Cup Winners, Relegated
2021/22   Championship            2nd       Promoted, League Cup Quarter-finalists
2022/23   Premier League          17th      FA Cup 6th Round
2023/24   Premier League          19th      Relegated
2024/25   Championship            5th       Playoff Semi-finalists
2025/26   Championship            4th       Playoff Winners, FA Cup 6th Round

Werder Bremen:

A bit of a "meh" season for die Werderaner after their recent successes.

2019/20*  1. Bundesliga           8th       I joined in December, DFB-Pokal Winners
2020/21*  1. Bundesliga           1st       B'liga, S'cup Winners; EL Semi-finalists
2021/22*  1. Bundesliga           2nd       S'cup Winners; EL, DFB-P Semi-finalists
2022/23*  1. Bundesliga           1st       B'liga, Champs League Winners
2023/24   1. Bundesliga           2nd       CWC, DFB-Pokal Winners
2024/25   1. Bundesliga           4th       Champs League, DFB-Pokal Semi-finalists
2025/26   1. Bundesliga           4th       -

Archived