[FM12] Now You Do Not Punish Someone, English Or Otherwise, For Being Rubbish At FM...

SnakeXe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice going on the state championship. The Sao Paulo one is probably the hardest to win due to the amount of big teams in there. Sets you up well for a title challenge.

Really like the look of the 3313 formation now you have tweaked it. What are the team instructions like? Do you play it at a slow tempo or are you after breaking fast and direct?

Nice going on the state championship. The Sao Paulo one is probably the hardest to win due to the amount of big teams in there. Sets you up well for a title challenge.

Really like the look of the 3313 formation now you have tweaked it. What are the team instructions like? Do you play it at a slow tempo or are you after breaking fast and direct?

The team instructions are the same as they were when I first set it up. Basically everything happens at a high tempo - aggressive closing down and rapid, direct attacks without playing long-ball. I'm starting to think that the Bielsista approach isn't really suited to the Brazilian domestic game since all my players absolutely crashed out knackered around the 40-game mark, which unfortunately was only a few games into the Brasileiro. I've had to switch out to the 4-2-1-3 variety of the system and play at a more normal tempo in order to give the players a break.

Perhaps next season I can run the high-tempo system all the way through - I've been adding to the squad bit by bit and the 3 or 4 youngsters I put straight into the first team are developing rapidly. If the chairman backs me and doesn't sell any players behind my back I can see this being a longer-term job than previously in my career.

Did you try high aggressive closing down but playing at slow tempo with counter attack also selected? It's the way my formation works. I also have the time wasting quite high to slow the tempo right down. My theory is that the players work hard to get the ball back but then get a bit of a breather when in possession. Also means the other team are chasing about a bit as your players move the ball around. By having the counter attack utilised it means you don't miss the opportunity to attack fast is the situation arises. I have found that my players fitness doesn't crash and they can sustain a longer run in the team.

That sounds quite interesting, I'll have to experiment with that. Sounds like the counter-attacking would keep faith to the rapid, direct attacks, but the slow tempo would give the side a breather and allow the sustained pressing across the mammoth Brazilian season - definitely a logical development of the tactic in this situation.

170px-Santos_logosvg.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 15 - 2027

Story of the Season:

Campeonato Paulista Série A1 - 4th/Winners

A weak-ish campaign in the league phase despite remaining unbeaten was rescued by ruthless efficiency in the knockouts.

Campeonato Brasileirao da Série A - 1st

A solid start was ruined by three successive humiliating defeats, which basically told me my players don't have the legs for relentless closing down any more. And there's most of the season left to go. Whoops.

A switch to the 4-2-3-1 version of the tactic and a relaxing of the pressing saw us find form again, only losing four more all season. There were a few more draws than I'd have liked, so it took us until after the final game to actually secure the title, although it was all but mathematically certain with two to play, six points and +21 goal difference ahead.

Copa Libertadores - Semi-final (lost v Corinthians)

We did the business on penalties against Boca in the quarter-final after two 1-1 draws, but despite taking a 2-0 home win and taking the lead in the away leg we couldn't stem the relentless tide of Corinthian attacks. I won't feel too bad as Chivas suffered the exact same fate against them in the final.

Results 1 - Results 2 - Results 3 - Squad

Transfers - £4.1M spent

Back to normal with the transfers. All of my signings worked out - Francisco and Paulinho were brought in by the previous regime. They did not work out.

Finances

A reassuringly solid profit for this year.

5 Most Important Players:

5. Júnior - AML/ST - If this guy is still at the club and not at number 1 in this list next season then it'll be down to injuries. Phenomenal talent.

4. Sérgio - DL - Solid and almost always fit for selection.

3. China - DM/MC - Consistently excellent anchor to the midfield.

2. Rolando Nadal - AMR/ST - Leading assist maker also chipped in with a great goal tally.

1. Alex - AMC/ST - Top scorer.

History:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season  | Team            | League                | Country      | Position | Notes                                                 |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2012/13 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Semi-finalists                                |
| 2013/14 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 3rd      | Resigned in October                                   |
| 2013/14 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 14th     | 15th on arrival in October                            |
| 2014/15 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Winners                                       |
| 2015/16 | Darlington      | League Two            | England      | 16th     | Resigned in January                                   |
| 2015/16 | Southend United | League One            | England      | 21st     | Relegated, 24th on arrival in March                   |
| 2016/17 | Southend United | League Two            | England      | 1st      | League Two Champions                                  |
| 2017/18 | Southend United | League One            | England      | 2nd      | Promoted                                              |
| 2018/19 | Southend United | Championship          | England      | 17th     | Resigned in October                                   |
| 2018/19 | Wigan Athletic  | Championship          | England      | 4th      | 13th on arrival in October, Playoff Winners           |
| 2019/20 | Wigan Athletic  | Premier League        | England      | 15th     | Left in December                                      |
| 2019/20 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 8th      | 14th on arrival in December, DFB-Pokal Winners        |
| 2020/21 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 1st      | B'liga Champions, Supercup Winners, EL Semi-Finalists |
| 2021/22 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 2nd      | Supercup Winners, CL & DFB-Pokal Semi-Finalists       |
| 2022/23 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 1st      | B'liga Champions, Champions League Winners            |
| 2023/24 | Arsenal         | Premier League        | England      | 2nd      | Champ's League Semi-Finalists, League Cup Finalists   |
| 2024/25 | Arsenal         | Premier League        | England      | 1st      | Premier League Winners, League Cup Finalists          |
| 2025/26 | Arsenal         | Premier League        | England      | 1st      | Premier League Winners                                |
| 2027    | Santos          | Brasileirao           | Brazil       | 1st      | Brasileirao & Paulista Winners, Libertadores SF       |

Next Season:

As I had to essentially drop most of the ideals of the tactic I want to play as the season wore on due to player fatigue, it'd be nice to work out a way to keep them without knackering the players. Also hope we can go far in the Libertadores again.

Former Club Watch:

Weymouth F.C.:

Depressingly still missing from the playable leagues. Even an FA Cup 3rd Round glamour tie couldn't lift the gloom, only drawing Championship side Wrexham.

Season    League                  Position  Notes                  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13*  Blue Square South       2nd       Playoff Semi-finalists
2013/14*  Blue Square South       9th       I left in October (resigned)
2014/15   Blue Square South       10th      -
2015/16   Blue Square South       19th      -
2016/17   Blue Square South       9th       FA Cup 2nd Round
2017/18   Blue Square South       3rd       Playoff Winners
2018/19   Blue Square Premier     21st      Relegated
2019/20   Blue Square South       14th      -
2020/21   Blue Square South       14th      -
2021/22   Blue Square South       19th      -
2022/23   Blue Square South       18th      -
2023/24   Blue Square South       22nd      Relegated
2024/25   N/A                     N/A       FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round
2025/26   N/A                     N/A       -
2026/27   N/A                     N/A       FA Cup 3rd Round

NB * indicates that I was in charge for at least part of the season.

Darlington F.C.:

As you were for the boring boring Quakers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14*  Blue Square Premier     14th      I joined in October
2014/15*  Blue Square Premier     2nd       Playoff Winners
2015/16*  League Two              18th      I left in January (resigned)
2016/17   League Two              17th      JPT North Quarter Final
2017/18   League Two              15th      FA Cup 3rd Round
2018/19   League Two              3rd       Promoted
2019/20   League One              22nd      Relegated, FA Cup 4th Round
2020/21   League Two              20th      -
2021/22   League Two              6th       FA Cup 4th Round, Playoff Semi-finalists
2022/23   League Two              9th       JPT North Quarter Final
2023/24   League Two              16th      JPT North Semi Final
2024/25   League Two              11th      -
2025/26   League Two              19th      -
2026/27   League Two              19th      -

Southend United:

Not only do they move slightly up the league table, but they make an incredible run to the League Cup final only to suffer heartbreak at the hands of dirty Boro.

2015/16*  League One              21st      Relegated, I joined in March
2016/17*  League Two              1st       League Two Winners
2017/18*  League One              2nd       Promoted
2018/19*  Championship            15th      I left in October (resigned)
2019/20   Championship            20th      -
2020/21   Championship            12th      FA Cup 5th Round
2021/22   Championship            9th       -
2022/23   Championship            15th      -
2023/24   Championship            16th      FA Cup Semi Final
2024/25   Championship            21st      -
2025/26   Championship            19th      -
2026/27   Championship            16th      League Cup Runners up

Wigan Athletic:

Where did that come from?! What a season!

2018/19*  Championship            4th       I joined in October, Playoff Winners
2019/20*  Premier League          11th      I left in December (job offer)
2020/21   Premier League          18th      League Cup Winners, Relegated
2021/22   Championship            2nd       Promoted, League Cup Quarter-finalists
2022/23   Premier League          17th      FA Cup 6th Round
2023/24   Premier League          19th      Relegated
2024/25   Championship            5th       Playoff Semi-finalists
2025/26   Championship            4th       Playoff Winners, FA Cup 6th Round
2026/27   Premier League          5th       FA Cup 6th Round, EL Qualification

Werder Bremen:

On the face of it a decent season given an improvement in the league position and silverware, however they failed to make the Champions League group stage and went out of the Europa League in the first knockout round.

2019/20*  1. Bundesliga           8th       I joined in December, DFB-Pokal Winners
2020/21*  1. Bundesliga           1st       B'liga, S'cup Winners; EL Semi-finalists
2021/22*  1. Bundesliga           2nd       S'cup Winners; EL, DFB-P Semi-finalists
2022/23*  1. Bundesliga           1st       B'liga, Champs League Winners
2023/24   1. Bundesliga           2nd       CWC, DFB-Pokal Winners
2024/25   1. Bundesliga           4th       Champs League, DFB-Pokal Semi-finalists
2025/26   1. Bundesliga           4th       -
2026/27   1. Bundesliga           3rd       DFB-Pokal Winners

Arsenal:

Of course the new guy comes in and puts the finishing touch on the foundations I built immediately. How irritating.

2023/24*  Premier League          2nd       CL Semi-finalists, LC Runners up
2024/25*  Premier League          1st       Premier League Winners, LC Runners Up
2025/26*  Premier League          1st       Premier League Winners
2026/27   Premier League          1st       PL & CL Winners, FA Cup Semi-finalists

Impressive first season, not too far off a clean sweep either :thup:

The Copa Libertadores can be pretty difficult to win, especially when you factor in the hectic fixture calendar, so I think you did well to reach the semis at your first attempt.

Have you tried focusing a lot of the training onto fitness for a season? It'll sacrifice some player development, but it should pay dividends overall

Interesting idea. A fair few members of my squad are very young, so obviously I'd rather they continued to develop, but it'd be fun to put the older players through a sort of "boot camp" in pre-season and during the state championship.

Impressive first season, not too far off a clean sweep either :thup:

The Copa Libertadores can be pretty difficult to win, especially when you factor in the hectic fixture calendar, so I think you did well to reach the semis at your first attempt.

Good first season in Brazil mate :thup:.

This makes me want to play a 3-3-1-3.

It's a system that's fascinated me ever since watching Chile with Bielsa in charge. There's plenty of articles about it (like this one) if you want to find out more.

Excellent first season in Brazil. Looks like you have a few decent players on the books, all the front guys chipped in with goals and assists. Nothing wrong with Diego Rodrigues fitness, 64 games in a season is quite impressive, need to get the rest of the squad on his training regime :D

Haha well there's a slight difference between him at centreback and, for example, my left full/wing back who gets up and down the pitch constantly in whatever system we play! I have to say I'm loving having the combination of inside forward, winger, and overlapping fullback back after not using it at Arsenal.

The squad is very good and should be even better next season as the youngsters develop. Another midfielder came through the academy this year who has 3.5 star potential so he'll be coming in to replace the retiring Felipe Anderson. I think Junior will be something else though. He's had loads of niggling injuries since breaking into the first team yet still has developed at a ridiculous rate. Really glad he has done as well, since Neymar is pretty nigh-on finished against top opposition.

Rough loss in the Copa Libertadores semi final second leg after a good lead in the first. I know how that feels :( Overall a very good season though, well done.

Unfortunately it came just at the point where my players died and couldn't execute the press properly any more. Cue killer ball after killer ball over the top of the defence. Should have dropped deeper when I saw it happening but I kept thinking "they won't score four". How'd that work out then, Mr. Manager? :(

With everyone fit he's on the bench. However if one of Alex or Junior gets injured he's in the team. I'm bringing back Ferreira on loan for next season so he'll just be backup AML next year, then I'm imagining he'll retire.

It's a system that's fascinated me ever since watching Chile with Bielsa in charge. There's plenty of articles about it (like this one) if you want to find out more.

Yeah, I was very excited about Bielsa's Chile before and during the WC, and delighted when Vidal later joined my beloved Juve. I've just never dared try a 3-3-1-3 in FM. Kudos to you.

Yeah, I was very excited about Bielsa's Chile before and during the WC, and delighted when Vidal later joined my beloved Juve. I've just never dared try a 3-3-1-3 in FM. Kudos to you.

Thanks, I've tried it a couple of times on previous FMs as a tactical experiment but never as part of my main save. You thinking of having a crack yourself?

I recognize that thought :(

It's one I'm sure all managers, virtual and otherwise, have had at some point!

Just a small correction Snake, Mr. Derp ;)

Haha yeah was definitely a Mr. Derp match that one!

Good to see the experiment is working out well so far. Well done on winning the title :thup:
You've learned well.

I won't really consider the experiment successful until I can play the high-pressing game for a full season. That'll require either a massive squad, lots of fitness work, or tweaking the system to retain possession sometimes rather than attack directly all the time.

The Brazilian system confuses me.

It's very confusing. Argentina looks less ridiculous on paper until you find out about the point-averages system for determining continental qualification and relegation.

I won't really consider the experiment successful until I can play the high-pressing game for a full season. That'll require either a massive squad, lots of fitness work, or tweaking the system to retain possession sometimes rather than attack directly all the time.

It's very confusing. Argentina looks less ridiculous on paper until you find out about the point-averages system for determining continental qualification and relegation.

I dislike that immensly.

Congrats on the title win!
Very nice SnakeXe. Very nice! :)
Great title win :thup: bad luck in the Libertadores but looks a real tough fixture schedule.

Thanks all :)

I dislike that immensly.

It's a terrible rule brought in basically to stop River Plate getting relegated a few years ago. Of course last year they still managed to do it anyway, so justice was served eventually, even if they're marching straight back up with Trezeguet et al on board.

170px-Santos_logosvg.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 16 Preview - Santos

Board Expectations:

Campeonato Petrobras Brasileiro da Serie A - Win it (Predicted 2nd out of 20)

Campeonato Paulista Serie A1 - Final

Copa Libertadores - Final

My Expectations:

Campeonato Petrobras Brasileiro da Serie A - Should win it, hopefully can do so in a bit more style this year

Campeonato Paulista Serie A1 - I'd like to win the league phase this time, then I'll settle for not losing to anyone rubbish

Copa Libertadores - Another semi-final appearance would be satisfactory

Budgets:

Transfer: £5,090,000 (£2,460,000 remaining)

Wages: £523,135/week (£466,086/week currently)

Balance: £15,396,993 (+£2,624,183 since last season)

Squad:

Ferreira returns for a season's loan, and the job-lot of jobbing centrehalves the previous manager accumulated has been replaced with quality.

Key Men:

Goalkeeper/Defence

Diogo - DC/DM - Perhaps the key player in the whole team, distributing from the back.

Midfield

China - DM/MC - Was excellent last year, hopefully that continues.

Strikers

Júnior - AML/ST - Could be something special, this kid.

Alex - AMC/ST - If last season's top scorer stays fit and in form we've got a great chance.

I'll do another tactical update soon, the latest edition of the 3-3-1-3 is looking excellent - P7 W7 so far, including wins over Corinthians and Guarani, 5 clean sheets as well as scoring like it's going out of fashion.

Season 16: Halfway House Update

State championship time, and we started with a whopping 10 game winning streak, 8 of those being clean sheets, and it looked like the 3-3-1-3 was coming into its own. An undeserved last-kick-of-the-game equaliser against Noroeste ended the winning run, but we pushed on unbeaten until the penultimate game of the season, when a team weakened by injuries and a whole load of rested players spurned enough chances to win 3 games in losing 2-1 at Sao Caetano. Nevetheless, we achieved my aim of winning the league phase, giving us a decent chance of making our target of the final.

Paulista put up some good resistance in the quarter-final, but a nice finish from veteran Neymar from the bench broke the deadlock, before a late own-goal - a tackle on Neymar no less - sealed it. Corinthians were our tough opponents in the semi-final, but we'd stuffed them 4-2 at home earlier in the campaign so I wasn't too concerned. I should have been though, as we played awfully, Alex's cutting edge sorely missed. Once Corinthians got one, the floodgates opened as we went all out for an equaliser, and we eventually went down 3-0. Far from ideal, but at least we lost to the eventual champions.

The Libertadores draw gave us a far trickier group - another Chilean side in Colo Colo were supplemented by two Argentinean sides in Boca and Colon. Luckily Colon were as good as their name, so we were never in danger of not qualifying, but three unlucky results - two against Boca drawing at home and losing on the last kick away, and the away match against Colon - meant we were never in contention to win the group.

Still, we were the best group runners-up which meant we got paired with the worst winners - Guarani (PAR). An 8-0 aggregate scoreline emphasized our superiority.

The Good

• Topping the Paulista group stage
  • The 10-match winning run
  • Still in the Libertadores

The Bad

• Failing to win the Libertadores group
  • Capitulating against Corinthians
  • Injuries to key men Ferreira and Alex leave us short of a cutting edge up front

Results - Paulista League Table/Knockout Rounds - Squad

These seasons just take an absolutely ridiculous amount of time. I like managing Santos and I like the way the squad is coming together but this marathon domestic season is really getting irritating, especially as the Copa Libertadores is smack in the middle. After that the Brasileiro just seems like a waste of time.

I was looking at a few of the Argentinean clubs just to gauge how busy their season is - their domestic calendar looks a lot cleaner, just the normal 38 league games split into Apertura and Clausura plus a cup. However it looks like it's possible to qualify for and compete in both the Copa Sudamericana in the Apertura and Copa Libertadores in the Clausura which brings things up to roughly the same mental fixture congestion as Brazil. It might be a bit more interesting given 6 competitions to play for rather than 3 though - especially when the Paulista is a joke until the knockout rounds.

The one thing making me want to stay with Santos is the squad - there's a few great home-grown youths coming through and through player trading and positional training I'm finally getting the level of adaptability I want to be able to fiddle tactically. I think probably at least half a season more to see if we can finally take a deserved Copa Libertadores then off to Argentina or somewhere else (Mexico?).

170px-Santos_logosvg.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 16 - 2028

Story of the Season:

Campeonato Paulista Série A1 - 1st/Semi-final

A much improved league campaign was undone by a horror-show in the knockouts.

Campeonato Brasileirao da Série A - 2nd

We never got going at all, which makes it all the more remarkable that we should have easily won the title. 3 last-minute concessions in the last 4 games meant 6 points dropped and finishing 2 points behind Corinthians.

Copa Libertadores - Semi-final (lost v Internacional)

An incredibly satisfying and cathartic win over Corinthians in the quarter-final was utterly wasted by two Alex-and-Júnior-less anaemic performances against Internacional, who at least went on to win the thing.

Results 1 - Results 2 - Results 3 - Squad

Transfers - £1M spent

Thiago Paulista was disappointing for the money but should improve, other than that I'm happy with our dealings.

Finances

Ticking over nicely.

5 Most Important Players:

5. Juan Manuel Martinez - DC - Solid season from a solid player.

4. Sérgio - D/WBL - Another good season from the fullback.

3. China - DM/MC - Getting on a bit now, will be a miss when he's gone.

2. Alex - AMC/ST - Leading scorer for the second consecutive season.

1. Júnior - AML/ST - Excellent season from the 17-year-old, scoring and assisting in bucketloads plus claiming the Copa Libertadores best player award.

History:

| Season  | Team            | League                | Country      | Position | Notes                                                 |
| 2012/13 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Semi-finalists                                |
| 2013/14 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 3rd      | Resigned in October                                   |
| 2013/14 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 14th     | 15th on arrival in October                            |
| 2014/15 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Winners                                       |
| 2015/16 | Darlington      | League Two            | England      | 16th     | Resigned in January                                   |
| 2015/16 | Southend United | League One            | England      | 21st     | Relegated, 24th on arrival in March                   |
| 2016/17 | Southend United | League Two            | England      | 1st      | League Two Champions                                  |
| 2017/18 | Southend United | League One            | England      | 2nd      | Promoted                                              |
| 2018/19 | Southend United | Championship          | England      | 17th     | Resigned in October                                   |
| 2018/19 | Wigan Athletic  | Championship          | England      | 4th      | 13th on arrival in October, Playoff Winners           |
| 2019/20 | Wigan Athletic  | Premier League        | England      | 15th     | Left in December                                      |
| 2019/20 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 8th      | 14th on arrival in December, DFB-Pokal Winners        |
| 2020/21 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 1st      | B'liga Champions, Supercup Winners, EL Semi-Finalists |
| 2021/22 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 2nd      | Supercup Winners, CL & DFB-Pokal Semi-Finalists       |
| 2022/23 | Werder Bremen   | 1. Bundesliga         | Germany      | 1st      | B'liga Champions, Champions League Winners            |
| 2023/24 | Arsenal         | Premier League        | England      | 2nd      | Champ's League Semi-Finalists, League Cup Finalists   |
| 2024/25 | Arsenal         | Premier League        | England      | 1st      | Premier League Winners, League Cup Finalists          |
| 2025/26 | Arsenal         | Premier League        | England      | 1st      | Premier League Winners                                |
| 2027    | Santos          | Brasileirao           | Brazil       | 1st      | Brasileirao & Paulista Winners, Libertadores SF       |
| 2028    | Santos          | Brasileirao           | Brazil       | 2nd      | Paulista & Copa Libertadores Semi-Finalists           |

Next Season:

A season which promised so much ultimately delivered nothing. The terminal decline of captain and vice-captain, and club-legends, Neymar and Rafael, was hard to compensate for. We still should have come away with at least the two domestic trophies, but it's hard to legislate for the sort of crap finishing and bad luck we've had. I'm beginning to think I need to re-evaluate the pressing system we're going for as it's knackering the players and doesn't seem to work effectively beyond about 3 months into the season, probably due to player fatigue. Perhaps I can investigate the false-press' effectiveness in FM12.

Archived