[FM12] Now You Do Not Punish Someone, English Or Otherwise, For Being Rubbish At FM...

SnakeXe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woof.png

A ten-fold wage increase is very attractive, but I'm pretty sure if I hold on a few more months I could get that kind of deal from a top-division side, rather than one outside the Championship playoffs with a massive wage bill to nurse.

Congrats on reaching the top tier but looks like you've got a tough battle ahead of you there. I suppose much will depend on whether Moussa Sow can still do anything with a diminished pace (personally I would've gone for a quicker guy even if less of a player, as you're likely going to be forced to play on the break). Ross Turnbull looks great, wasn't there a keeper at Chelsea in real life with the exact same name?

edit: too slow! Bremen it is then!

150px-Werder_Bremen.png

Name: SV Werder Bremen

Nickname: Die Werderaner (The River Islanders), Die Grün-Weißen (The Green-Whites)

Founded: 1889

Stadium: Weserstadion, 42,354 (30,623 seated) capacity (Due to move into the 54,942 capacity Werder Bremen Stadium on 20.6.2020)

From Wikipedia:

SV Werder Bremen is a German sports club best known for its association football team playing in Bremen, in the northwest German federal state of the same name. The club was founded on 4 February 1899 as Fußballverein Werder by a group of sixteen vocational high school students who had won a prize of sports equipment to set them on their way. They took their name from the seldom used regional German word for “river peninsula”, describing the riverside field they first played football on. Werder Bremen has grown to 39,100 members.

Bremen have been a mainstay in the Bundesliga, top flight of German football. Bremen have been crowned champions on four occasions and have won the DFB-Pokal on six occasions. Their most recent achievements in these competitions came in 2004, when they won an historic double. Bremen have also tasted European success, beating AS Monaco in the 1992 European Cup Winners' Cup Final, 2–0. Bremen also reached the final edition of the UEFA Cup in 2009, before it was rebranded as the UEFA Europa League, where they met Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk. Shakhtar won the final 2–1 in extra time.

This is a really cracking move for me. Werder have been in and around the top four in Germany for the large majority of the previous 15 years, and have some globally reknowned players such as Fabio Coentrao and Eren Derdiyok. Whilst I was having fun at Wigan in grinding out results against far superior teams, this is a massive opportunity to further my career. Werder are also still involved in Europe, currently topping their Europa League group with one match remaining. I can't wait!

150px-Werder_Bremen.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 8 New Club Update - Werder Bremen

Board Expectations:

Bundesliga - Europa League qualification (but not judging at the moment, Predicted 3rd out of 18, 14th place on arrival)

DFB-Pokal - Semi-final (but not judging at the moment)

Champions League - Already Out

Europa League - Semi-final (but not judging at the moment)

My Expectations:

Bundesliga - 6th looks attainable, anything higher would be a bonus

DFB-Pokal - Win it

Europa League - Win it

Budgets:

Transfer: £5,038,268 (£4,600,000 remaining)

Wages: £953,492/week (£860,970/week currently)

Balance: £39,809,533

Squad:

All four keepers are rubbish, most of the strikers are too, the defence looks brilliant, the midfield has flair but lacks bite. The transfer window is reassuringly close.

Key Men:

Goalkeeper/Defence

Fernando Manuel - SW/DC - His mobility should allow a marauding fullback pairing of Isla and Coentrao to flourish.

Midfield

Aleksandar Ignjovski - DM/MC - The one midfielder with anything resembling ability on the back foot, he'd better stay fit.

Marko Marin - ML/AMRLC/ST - One of my favourite players in real life at the moment, I picked him but there's a load of versatile attacking midfielders who are fairly interchangeable.

Strikers

Simon Adamczyk - AMC/ST - Great mobility but poor technically, probably not good enough to play a lone striker system unfortunately.

Excellent step up, hopefully your German adventure is successful :D

Congrats on reaching the top tier but looks like you've got a tough battle ahead of you there. I suppose much will depend on whether Moussa Sow can still do anything with a diminished pace (personally I would've gone for a quicker guy even if less of a player, as you're likely going to be forced to play on the break). Ross Turnbull looks great, wasn't there a keeper at Chelsea in real life with the exact same name?

edit: too slow! Bremen it is then!

Sow did quite well, although obviously not the player he was. I tended to rotate between him and a lesser but more mobile striker. Turnbull is quality! Can't believe I picked him up so cheap, wasn't even transfer listed. You're right about the keeper at Chelsea, no idea why they bought him, he's worse than Hilario.

Not forgetting the new 55000 seater stadium coming soon :D

An awesome move, and a brilliant step up.

I know, I didn't notice that until I joined!

Great move :thup:

Chelsea signed Turnbull on a free transfer as 3rd choice :p

Surely with all the dough they gave Frank Arnesen to throw at youngsters they should have uncovered a goalkeeper or two that are better than Turnbull? He was even rubbish by Boro's standards!

Congratz on the mvoe to Germany - you've jumped up quite a bit in the past few seasons :thup:

Yeah looking back League Two to Bundesliga in 4 seasons is quick progress indeed!

I've got a big job to do with Werder though, from the three matches I've played thus far (a 2-1 loss away to Wolfsburg the day I got the job, a 2-0 home win over Dnipro, and a bizarre 3-2 loss away to 1860 Munchen that showcased all of our failings) we seem to have that deathly combo of being unable to convert our chances and leaking soft goals at the other end. A new keeper and striker combo in January would be very nice!

Surely with all the dough they gave Frank Arnesen to throw at youngsters they should have uncovered a goalkeeper or two that are better than Turnbull? He was even rubbish by Boro's standards!

Agree entirely! But Arnesen was a massive flop I think - he failed to unearth anyone special at all. They paid £2.5m for Michael Woods and Taiwo, both of whom now play in League Two. I need say no more.

Season 8: Halfway House Update

Somehow we've managed to lose all 3 matches played in the league, and I don't have a clue how. All three away, and all three we really deserved to get something from. I honestly don't understand the last loss to Furth - we absolutely tore them to shreds.

But at least we showed that we can play better in the wins over Dnipro in the Europa League and Wolfsburg in the DFK-Pokal. And that's a good thing, because noone seems to be interested in joining us. Surely that must be a function of our current predicament rather than a massive downward shift in reputation, but either way I'm not going to waste money on substandard stop-gaps.

Goalkeeper Haldun Tetik was the only player I could find worth buying, and he was on a free transfer anyway, but at least he's a good upgrade on what we currently have.

I don't really know what to do other than plough on and hope our luck changes.

The Good

• Loving managing in the Bundesliga already despite bad results
  • We're creating loads of chances
  • Managed to secure a decent keeper

The Bad

• Can't sign anyone else decent
  • Very close to the relegation zone
  • Our chance conversion ratio is utterly abysmal

Results - League Table - Squad

Well spoiler alert, but with four games left of the season we're all but mathematically safe, and still have a fairly realistic shot at 6th. I don't really think we'll get it, but I'd like to finish as high as possible to mitigate against any severe reputation drop that will hinder player acquisition over the summer.

Come in here to see how Wigan are doing and find you've jumped ship. Very nice move to the Bundesliga. Should be able to attract some decent players at Bremen too, someone who can finish should be top of list looking at that Frankfurt game ;) Should have been a hammering by looks of those stats

I've got three players already a signed - an AMR who's already on loan at the club, an ST who can finish, and an athletic DM who should help protect the defence! Hopefully that'll stop too many more games like that (it's far from the only one, unfortunately).

Bollocks. :(

Sorry Nobby, he's right :D

Impressive missed opportunity against Frankfurt

Almost every match we've played has seen us be the better side. We've lost 5-0 twice. It bodes well for next year in a weird way, in that we're clearly a very good team, just quite terrible (although fixable) deficiencies in putting the chances away and not switching off at the back when they get their one or two inevitable cracks at the whip.

150px-Werder_Bremen.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 8 - 2019/20

Story of the Season:

Bundesliga - 8th

When I joined in December, the club were in a genuine relegation battle, one which wasn't helped by me losing my first 3 matches on the bounce. The consolation was that we were playing good football, just silly mistakes at either end of the pitch were costing us. I didn't manage to eradicate them entirely, but I managed to come up with a style of play that gave us a good control over games in general, and I just had to cross my fingers that we'd keep out the odd one or two inevitable attacks that slip through the net whilst taking enough of the many, many chances we created.

We finally got the rewards for our good play with a 2-0 win over reigning Champions Dortmund, and continued to pick up results thereafter. Highlights included a 5-1 thrashing of Hannover and a quite brilliant 4-0 win over Bayern, with the nadir being a 5-0 away loss against eventual title winners Leverkusen.

We had a chance at nicking 6th, and Europa League qualification through the league, right up until the disgusting 2-2 with Frankfurt, the fourth from last game. We probably wouldn't have deserved that though. 8th, ahead of the rubbish but behind the teams that had actually had a decent season right through the year, was about right.

DFB-Pokal - Winners

The previous manager had secured wins against non-league Schuttorf and second-tier Augsburg, which left me a tricky third round tie away at Wolfsburg. We had performed well in defeat there in my first match in charge of the club, so I sent us out with a similar tactic with just a couple of tweaks. It worked like a charm, as we battered them 3-1.

The quarter-final saw us take on Dortmund, just two games after we'd beaten them in league action. A similar approach yielded a similar result - 2-1, and through to the semi-final.

We got the plum draw in the semi, second tier Union Berlin were having a romantic cup run but surely we were too strong for them? We were indeed, running out 4-2 winners to set up a final date with Leverkusen. Our record so far this season read P4 W1 D0 L3 F2 A12 so I wasn't particularly relishing this match, but a chance for early silverware (Europa League football having already been secured by virtue of Leverkusen having qualified for the Champions League) wasn't to be sniffed at.

Despite my reservations, the game went our way right from before kickoff - Abel Hernandez and Rene Adler both missed the game! It continued that way as well, Zoran Tosic sent off after just 3 minutes for a wild lunge at Marin. Still, it was a cagey game as we retained possession over going all out for the goal, wary of Leverkusen's threat on the break to our fragile defence. With 10 minutes remaining, Bayer thought they'd help us out once again, as Peter knocked in an Eryilmaz cross for an own goal to give us the lead! As the seconds ticked away, Leverkusen had a good chance to equalise, but missed, and we went up the other end and scored through Adamczyk to secure my first ever top-level trophy in FM12!

Europa League - 2nd Knockout Round (lost v Leverkusen)

Much of the job in getting through the group stage had been accomplished before I joined the club, I merely secured a 2-0 win over Dnipro to confirm us as group winners. That sent us through to play FC Basel from Switzerland in the first knockout round. A slightly disappointing 1-1 in the away leg wasn't a bad result in the scheme of things, and a 2-0 win at home put us through to face league leaders Leverkusen in the next round.

A brilliant performance in the home leg only gave us a 1-0 advantage, with Rene Adler putting on a goalkeeping clinic in the Bayer net, only beaten by Adamczyk's follow up from his saved penalty.

Stupidly I took this to mean we could dominate them at home if we went for the jugular, which only resulted in us going 3-0 down in 12 minutes. By the time I'd sorted us out it was too late, Adler was in similarly excellent form, and two more goals on the break condemned us to our second 5-0 defeat at the Leverkusen Stadium (I preferred the BayArena personally) of my short reign.

Results 1 - Results 2 - Squad

Transfers - £2.85M profit

Just Haldun Tetik was mine of these transfers.

Finances

They say "Insecure" but it looks pretty healthy to me. Flamers suggested it might be because of the massive stadium loan, but we're paying that and making a profit, so clearly it's sustainable. Worth bringing up as a bug?

5 Most Important Players:

5. Mehmet Ekici - M/AMC - Decent season for the creative midfielder.

4. Simon Adamczyk - AMC/ST - Our top scorer, but he could have had at least twice as many. And for that reason I won't be taking up his loan clause to buy.

3. Fernando Manuel - SW/DC - Classy defender - I'm always suspicious of defenders who can't jump but I can count on one hand the number of times it's been a problem.

2. Mauricio Isla - D/WBR/DM/MRC - Jack of all trades, master of several.

1. Mustafa Eryilmaz - M/AMRC - Top-class, and only a £2.8m clause in his loan contract - yoink!

History:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season  | Team            | League                | Country      | Position | Notes                                          |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2012/13 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Semi-finalists                         |
| 2013/14 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 3rd      | Resigned in October                            |
| 2013/14 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 14th     | 15th on arrival in October                     |
| 2014/15 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Winners                                |
| 2015/16 | Darlington      | League Two            | England      | 16th     | Resigned in January                            |
| 2015/16 | Southend United | League One            | England      | 21st     | Relegated, 24th on arrival in March            |
| 2016/17 | Southend United | League Two            | England      | 1st      | League Two Champions                           |
| 2017/18 | Southend United | League One            | England      | 2nd      | Promoted                                       |
| 2018/19 | Southend United | Championship          | England      | 17th     | Resigned in October                            |
| 2018/19 | Wigan Athletic  | Championship          | England      | 4th      | 13th on arrival in October, Playoff Winners    |
| 2019/20 | Wigan Athletic  | Premier League        | England      | 15th     | Left in December                               |
| 2019/20 | Werder Bremen   | Bundesliga            | Germany      | 8th      | 14th on arrival in December, DFB-Pokal Winners |

Next Season:

I'm really really happy with this move, even with the initial worries and financial weirdness. I think with a few signings we'll have a really good shot at Champions League qualification, and perhaps another trophy or two!

Former Club Watch:

Weymouth F.C.:

No immediate rebound for The Terras, unfortunately!

Season    League                  Position  Notes                  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13*  Blue Square South       2nd       Playoff semi-finalists
2013/14*  Blue Square South       9th       I left in October (resigned)
2014/15   Blue Square South       10th      -
2015/16   Blue Square South       19th      -
2016/17   Blue Square South       9th       FA Cup 2nd Round
2017/18   Blue Square South       3rd       Playoff Winners
2018/19   Blue Square Premier     21st      Relegated
2019/20   Blue Square South       14th      -

NB * indicates that I was in charge for at least part of the season.

Darlington F.C.:

Not even close to staying up, despite two teams suffering points deductions, although a good FA Cup run culminated in defeat at Spurs - must have been a welcome boost to the finances.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14*  Blue Square Premier     14th      I joined in October
2014/15*  Blue Square Premier     2nd       Playoff Winners
2015/16*  League Two              18th      I left in January (resigned)
2016/17   League Two              17th      JPT North Quarter Final
2017/18   League Two              15th      FA Cup 3rd Round
2018/19   League Two              3rd       Promoted
2019/20   League One              22nd      Relegated, FA Cup 4th Round

Southend United:

A little more skin of their teeth this year - they didn't really replace Jose Baxter, who they sold on for a tidy £2.2m profit, and the defence was poor.

2015/16*  League One              21st      Relegated, I joined in March
2016/17*  League Two              1st       League Two Winners
2017/18*  League One              2nd       Promoted
2018/19*  Championship            15th      I left in October (resigned)
2019/20   Championship            20th      -

Wigan Athletic:

The signings I lined up for them in January really took them to the next level, comfortable survival in the end for The Latics.

[/size][/size]Season    League                  Position  Notes                  
2018/19*  Championship            4th       I joined in October, Playoff Winners
2019/20*  Premier League          11th      I left in December (job offer)[size=3][size=2]

I like to think I've left all my clubs in at least a decent position. Southend stayed up on the back of a slew of goals from two strikers I signed and sold Jose Baxter for a massive profit, and Darlington sold a guy I signed on a free for £600k last year.

Good season overall. Chance to get a couple of your own players in now and mould the squad to how you like it. Think you should get CL qualification next year

I hope so. I'm happy with most of the squad now, and I've still got a couple of months left before the deadline!

Good season! I really like what you do with your previous club watch, it's a good touch :thup:

Glad you like it, it's for me as much as anyone, I like to keep tabs on what my former charges are doing!

Awesome move to the Bundesliga and you've started your time there in fine style. I like your positivity predicting the possibility of a Champions League berth! What is the state of German football like - have they held onto the four Champions League places? Have Bayern dominated or have other teams been getting a look in when it comes to titles?

uefa+logo.jpg

2020 UEFA European Championship

Hosts: Belgium

Holders: Spain

Group Stage:

Group A:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team    |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Italy   |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 5     | 4     | +1    | 5     | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Germany |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 6     | 4     | +2    | 5     | 
| 3rd   | Q     | Russia  |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 3     | 2     | +1    | 5     | 
| 4th   |       | Poland  |       | 3     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 4     | 8     | -4    | 0     | 

Group B:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team                 |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Czech Republic       |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 7     | 3     | +4    | 7     | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Ukraine              |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 3     | 1     | +2    | 5     | 
| 3rd   |       | Croatia              |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 4     | 7     | -3    | 3     | 
| 4th   |       | Bosnia & Herzegovina |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 3     | 6     | -3    | 1     | 

Group C:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team     |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | England  |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 7     | 4     | +3    | 7     | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Austria  |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 7     | 3     | +4    | 5     | 
| 3rd   |       | Scotland |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 2     | 5     | -3    | 3     | 
| 4th   |       | Ireland  |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 3     | 7     | -4    | 1     | 

Group D:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team     |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   | Q     | Slovakia |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 8     | 4     | +4    | 7     | 
| 2nd   | Q     | Portugal |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 4     | 5     | -1    | 4     | 
| 3rd   | Q     | Sweden   |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 3     | 5     | -2    | 3     | 
| 4th   |       | Belgium  |       | 3     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 5     | 6     | -1    | 2     | 

Group E:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team        |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Spain       |       | 3     | 3     | 0     | 0     | 7     | 2     | +5    | 9     | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Netherlands |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 5     | 4     | +1    | 4     | 
| 3rd   | Q     | Serbia      |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 3     | 5     | -2    | 3     | 
| 4th   |       | Denmark     |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 1     | 5     | -4    | 1     | 

Group F:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team    |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   | Q     | France  |       | 3     | 3     | 0     | 0     | 7     | 1     | +6    | 9     | 
| 2nd   | Q     | Turkey  |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 4     | 2     | +2    | 6     | 
| 3rd   | Q     | Israel  |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 2     | 4     | -2    | 3     | 
| 4th   |       | Finland |       | 3     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 0     | 6     | -6    | 0     | 

Knockout Stage:

Second Round:

Italy 2 v 1 Ukraine

Turkey 0 v 0p Spain

Czech Republic 3 v 1 Russia

France 3 v 0 Sweden

Netherlands 1 v 2e Germany

Serbia 1 v 2e England

Israel 2 v 1 Slovakia

Austria 0 v 2 Portugal

Quarter Final:

Spain 1 v 0 Italy

France p0 v 0 Czech Republic

England 2 v 1 Germany

Israel 1 v 2 Portugal

Semi Final:

Spain 2 v 0 Portugal

France 0 v 0p England

Final:

Spain 0 v 2 England

So Stuart Pearce's England get revenge for the Euro 2016 final defeat!

Awesome move to the Bundesliga and you've started your time there in fine style. I like your positivity predicting the possibility of a Champions League berth! What is the state of German football like - have they held onto the four Champions League places? Have Bayern dominated or have other teams been getting a look in when it comes to titles?

Leverkusen made the Champions League final in 2016, losing to Chelsea, whilst Hannover, Koln, HSV and Bayern have made Europa League finals, the latter two coming away with the trophy. The Bundesliga is 3rd highest on reputation in Europe, the Premier League being top and La Liga second, with Serie A now slipping to 5th behind Ligue Un. However, there only seem to be 3 Champions League places available for German clubs. This might be due to the fact that the highest ranked German clubs in terms of coefficients are Leverkusen and Bayern in 11th and 12th.

150px-Werder_Bremen.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 9 Preview - Werder Bremen

Board Expectations:

Bundesliga - Europa League qualification (Predicted 6th out of 18)

DFB-Pokal - Semi-final

Europa League - Second knockout round

DFL-Supercup - Unimportant

My Expectations:

Bundesliga - I've got a sneaky suspicion we might challenge for a Champions League spot, which would mean top 3

DFB-Pokal - Semis will do this time

Europa League - Quarter finals

DFL-Supercup - As it's against Leverkusen, try and win it

Budgets:

Transfer: £7,221,691 (£0 remaining)

Wages: £839,838/week (£873,663/week currently)

Balance: £56,098,547 (+£16,289,014 since I joined)

Squad:

Really taking shape now - none of the four awful keepers who were at the club when I joined remain, the good loanees have joined permanently, and the midfield and attack is looking very potent. An injury to Tainha would leave us light, with Derdiyok's aging legs, but I can't afford any more additions with the drastically cut wage budget.

Key Men:

Goalkeeper/Defence

Luis Guilherme - GK - Has been languishing in the Liga Adelante with Levante for ages despite being absolutely top class - why?!

Midfield

Nuri Sahin - DM/MC - When I was trying to build a team based around the current Dortmund side's system over the summer, I noticed its central component from last season was available for the knockdown price of £1.5m. He may not be a spritely youth any more but what a class act.

Mehmet Ekici - M/AMC - He's taking a central role this season (Shinji Kagawa's if we continue the Dortmund analogy) in his favoured AMC position.

Strikers

Tainha - AMC/ST - I'm expecting great things.

Archived