[FM12] Now You Do Not Punish Someone, English Or Otherwise, For Being Rubbish At FM...

SnakeXe

Can you imagine the absolute torrent of "'e isn't even from round 'ere!!" bile in the press if Capello actually lost a game to San Marino? I don't think the FA would have to the bottle to not sack him, personally.

Yeah I think I probably should have stuck with Weymouth a couple more seasons, and at least got them back into the BSP, but I'm a young hungry manager with lofty goals ;)

Any thoughts for your own game yet?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are your thoughts now?

AFC Wimbledon are a club that I like and one I'd like to manage, but I'm wary that they're probably at their level now so it'd be a case of overachieving to get any progress with them. Darlington arguably have more potential - if they filled their ground they'd be a Championship side. It'd also be nice to make a real lasting difference to a club's fortunes rather than just furthering my own career continuously - although I do have to think about that, given how wide-reaching my career goals are.

Doing a lot better this season Snake.

England winning the World Cup and Canada reaching the Second Round. :D

I know! I think my Tranmere supporting friend would be made up if Iain Hume ever really scored at a World Cup.

Still in contention for promotion, just need a strong second half of the season :thup:

Wrexham are having a stonker though, going to need them to slip up big time if you're going to get that automatic promotion place. I suppose the playoffs are more realistically achievable at this stage.

As for England winning the World Cup; they must hold the record for most World Cup won in the history of FM! I remember back in earlier FM's, they used to win every major tournament easily. The only problem was that I was convinced they would win everything in real life too. I've now come to terms with the fact, that the only World Cup England will win in my life time, will probably only be the ones on FM ;)

Still in contention for promotion, just need a strong second half of the season :thup:

Wrexham are having a stonker though, going to need them to slip up big time if you're going to get that automatic promotion place. I suppose the playoffs are more realistically achievable at this stage.

As for England winning the World Cup; they must hold the record for most World Cup won in the history of FM! I remember back in earlier FM's, they used to win every major tournament easily. The only problem was that I was convinced they would win everything in real life too. I've now come to terms with the fact, that the only World Cup England will win in my life time, will probably only be the ones on FM ;)

Yeah Wrexham look like they'll take the title - they've been way out in front from about 15 games in, it'll be a blow-up from them as well as immaculate form from us or another of the sides around the playoffs to take it from them.

I don't know, I think England will always be one of the nations that has a chance. Especially with the more continental-style young players like Wilshere, Adam Johnson and Oxlade-Chamberlain I think we could potentially play a more possession based team game which seems to be the best way to play in international football (and indeed the way Capello wanted us to play before he discovered we lack the technique in too many players).

Have been reading this while my own game processes tonight. A bit far yet from the heights of Messina in Fm11, but slowly getting there. I think you should stick to Darlington for a little longer and try to achieve something in the lower levels, at least one promotion. You may regret it later that you didn't fully prove yourself at the lower levels.

150px-Darlo.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 3 - 2014/15

Story of the Season:

Blue Square Premier - 2nd, Promoted via playoffs

In the second half of the season we really kicked into gear, even overhauling a Wrexham side crippled by fixture congestion - they reached the finals of the Welsh Cup and FA Trophy - but eventually poor finishing in two must-win games meant we had to settle for second and the playoffs.

Telford were dispatched easily enough, 2-0 away resplendent in our horrible green kit, and a 1-1 at home which was a lucky result for them, which mean we met the conquerors of Newport County in the final, Macclesfield.

We triumphed 1-0 in a result that should have been secure much earlier in the match, in front of a half-empty Old Trafford. Darlington are heading back to the football league

FA Cup - Lost in 3rd Round (v Man City)

A great and well-deserved win over League Two Oxford in the second round set up a home tie with Man City in the third round. We gave a great account of ourselves, taking the lead and being just seconds from a lucrative replay, but Nasri, the only City player who actually turned up, broke our hearts.

FA Trophy - Lost in 1st Round (v Cambridge)

I've lost every single fixture in this with Darlington.

Results 1 - Results 2 - Squad

Transfers - Broke even

All frees and loans again. Best signing was definitely Bignall on loan, Kewell probably the worst simply because he was largely an irrelevance as an AML in a 4-3-1-2.

Finances

Slightly better again - the tie with Man City helped.

5 Most Important Players:

Rather than 5 most important players this season, this is the 5 players most likely to help next season not be this painful/dull/terrible.

5. Brian Gray - AMC/ST - Really great option to have when plan A wasn't working.

4. Matthew Urwin - GK - Very solid in goal.

3. Krisztian Adorjan - M/AMC/ST - Not the non-league Zidane I was half-expecting but did a great job for us.

2. Harry Davis - DC - The centre-half was imperious.

1. Nicholas Bignall - ST - Infuriating as often as he was a match-winner, but we'd never have done it without him.

History:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season  | Team            | League                | Country      | Position | Notes                                     |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2012/13 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Semi-finalists                    |
| 2013/14 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 3rd      | Resigned in October                       |
|    -    | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 14th     | 15th on arrival in October                |
| 2014/15 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Winners                           |

Next Season:

Assuming no really special offer comes in over the summer I'll be leading Darlington back into the Football League personally! We should have plenty to stay up given how we performed at times last season, and especially in that cup win over Oxford. The only slight concern is a large quantity of our squad - some key players included - were only at the club on loan. If we're to survive, we'll have to bring them back or replace them with equally good players.

Former Club Watch:

Weymouth F.C.:

Still have the manager who replaced me, former Millwall, Crystal Palace and Gillingham man Matt Lawrence, and he's helped establish them as a solid BSS side. Doesn't look like they're for promotion any time soon, though.

Season    League                  Position  Notes                  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13*  Blue Square South       2nd       Playoff semi-finalists
2013/14*  Blue Square South       9th       I left in October
2014/15   Blue Square South       10th      -

NB * indicates that I was in charge for at least part of the season.

Congratulations on promotion Snake, any chance of going back-to-back? I can't imagine there being too much difference between BSP and BSS.

Thanks, but it's League Two time now!

Actually thinking about it, I've been promoted from the BSP to League Two twice ever whilst playing FM, and both times I then went on to achieve promotion to League One, so it's certainly not beyond me. Unless I can really tap into Adorjan's potential I doubt I have the individual talent to take automatic promotion, but a playoff place and a bit of luck could happen with the right signings.

Well done on promotion. From a personal point of view I'd love to see how far you can take Darlo, but that's not really the name of the game is it? I'd be pleasantly surprised if you were still there at the end of the season.

It's certainly my plan to see out at least the next season with Darlo, but you never know what's going to happen :)

Well done promotion, you did really well to chase down Wrexham. You nearly caught them too :thup:

The gutting thing is we did catch them, and were top with 3 games remaining! Unfortunately we then managed the two most one-sided 1-1 draws you could imagine, only recovering our composition in front of goal when it was all-but beyond us.

Edit: Actually thinking about it, if you look at our results there's an away 3-2 against FC Halifax 4 games from the end. That was the game we went top, and we came from 2-0 down to win it. I really thought we'd do it after that game. Really glad we didn't blow the playoffs, would have been such a demoralising end to a great season.

Congratulations on the promotion - do you plan on staying now you've taken them to the football league?

Staying - read the thread ;)

Newcontract.png

That seals it - pay rise and another year on the contract. Tried to ask for £850 but Mr. Singh is a tight get.

150px-Darlo.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 4 Preview - Darlington F.C.

Board Expectations:

League Two - Mid-table (minimum of Consolidate, Predicted 19th out of 24)

FA Cup - Second Round

League Cup - Learn from experience

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - Learn from experience

My Expectations:

League Two - Top half

FA Cup - Third Round

League Cup - Not bothered

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - Have a crack at the latter stages

Budgets:

Transfer: £0

Wages: £17,728/week (£20,738/week currently)

Balance: -£348,625 (+£263,978 compared to last season)

Squad:

Pretty confident we'll hold our own, plenty of talent and enough grit to grind out results when talent fails.

Key Men:

Goalkeeper/Defence

Matthew Urwin - GK - He's so much better than his backup that we're in serious trouble without him.

Midfield

Lee Lucas - DM/MC - A solid base to the midfield.

Krisztian Adorjan - AMC/ST - Perhaps a higher level will bring his quality out.

Strikers

Joel Ambalu - ST - Whilst he didn't weigh in with many goals, his link-up play was crucial to our success last season.

Good work with the promotion! :thup: Gradually clawing back the financial deficit too - did I miss how you've been managing to consistently make a profit?

The board keep putting it a bit of money each season which helps, but the main thing last season was the Man City game - that made us £510k on gate receipts, TV money and other matchday income. If we'd gotten the replay I felt we'd earned, we'd be about £500k in the black now :(

The board keep putting it a bit of money each season which helps, but the main thing last season was the Man City game - that made us £510k on gate receipts, TV money and other matchday income. If we'd gotten the replay I felt we'd earned, we'd be about £500k in the black now :(

I think the finances will right themselves slowly but surely now.

Excellent work SnakeXe. :thup:

In my first season in charge it was around 1700, then last year it was 3100, but that figure is skewed by a capacity crowd against Man City and nearly 10k in the playoff semi-final. This year it's around 3100 steady, so I think generally there is an upward trend.

I doubt it'll ever get to the point where the ground is full week-in week-out unless we reach the Premier League, but the current budget seems sustainable on the gates we're getting.

I'd be interested to know just how much of an effect fan days can have on the attendance over the course of the season. My season tickets have gone up from 3,000 to about 5,000 now over the last six years, but every fan day I've had I've managed to ruin by losing the matches. I'd impressed if anyone was ever able to get the Darlington stadium regularly seeing 20,000 crowds, but I'd imagine that would take decades.

Season 4: Halfway House Update

Another excellent start to the season saw us win 3 of our first 4 matches, the other being a rather unlucky defeat away to Plymouth. After a messy run of fixtures where I basically divebombed out of the JPT and League Cup as fast as possible, we then won 4 from 5 to get within 3 points of top spot.

However, we have not won another game to date.

The defence has fallen apart and my strikers have forgotten what the point of them being on the pitch is. Injuries and suspensions played their part, but even when we've gotten most of our players back we've still failed to win. Couple that with my chairman's absolute refusal to entertain the idea of scouting beyond the UK occasionally, and I'm considering jacking, for the club's sake as well as my own. Something needs to happen to arrest this slide.

The Good

• The start
  • We're probably not far off enough points to survive already
  • I've signed a rather good right back who spends a lot of time on the treatment table but is awesome when not dead

The Bad

• The chairman
  • Awful defending as a team
  • Completely abject efforts to score goals

Results - League Table - Squad

I see even the friendly win against Guernsey couldn't change your fortunes in the league! You really are in trouble then :D

I'd stick with it, one win in the league and you might turn the tables. You're not that far off the playoffs :thup:

As we're coming up to the corresponding fixtures we did well in at the start of the season, and I traditionally seem to do much better in the second half of a season than the first, I'm gunna play through those and see if I can turn it around.

Who's Franky? :confused:

You made the right call,I'm predicting you will have to get another L2 team,or are you perhaps going elsewhere? KUTGW!

Haha, another mistake well spotted!

This was an interesting offer:

Tempting.png

A pay rise, and not too much work to do to keep them in Serie C1, but I don't like the look of the finances. Shame, I would have liked a return to Italy.

This is more like it!

Hmmmm.png

23rd in League One, but not cut off, which means at best survival and League One football next season, at worst relegation and big fish in the League Two pond!

I have to feel a little smug now:

Ohyeah.png

And he was as good as his word:

Letsdoit.png

An unsuccessful negotiation up to £1k per week notwithstanding, Roots Hall here we come!

Archived