[FM12] Now You Do Not Punish Someone, English Or Otherwise, For Being Rubbish At FM...

SnakeXe

175px-Southend_United.svg.png

Name: Southend United

Nickname: The Shrimpers, The Seasiders, The Blues

Founded: 1906

Stadium: Roots Hall, 12,163 (all-seater) capacity

From Wikipedia:

Southend United Football Club is an English football club based at Roots Hall Stadium, Prittlewell, Southend-on-Sea, Essex, who currently play in League Two of the English Football League. Their home ground is Roots Hall, and the club plans to move into a new 22,000-seater stadium located at Fossetts Farm in the future.

Southend should be a good club to take my career up to the next level. They were promoted to League One the season before this, but clearly haven't gotten to grips with the new level and look like they'll probably head straight back down. If I can keep them up, great, if not then I'm not too bothered as I can rebuild and make a good attempt at coming straight back, hopefully!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SnakeXe's Career - Season 4 New Club Update - Southend United

Board Expectations:

League One - Learn from the experience (but not judging at the moment, Predicted 18th out of 24, 24th place on arrival)

FA Cup - Already Out

League Cup - Already Out

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - Already Out

My Expectations:

League One - Show some fight, get at least some points

Budgets:

Transfer: £0

Wages: £29,868/week (£30,975/week currently)

Balance: -£656,320

Squad:

Poor, and in a foul mood. Just what I expected.

Key Men:

Goalkeeper/Defence

Lee Nicholls - GK - Our best player, we need him fit soon.

Matthew Wilkinson - DC - His pace may allow us to play a high defensive line.

Midfield

Luke Rooney - M/AMRLC/ST - Our best outfield player, hopefully I can get more out of him than the previous manager.

Strikers

Tony Garrod - AMR/ST - I hope to hell he can hit the target occasionally.

It's definitely going to be a challenge to stay up, but as you say - worst case scenario is that you'll be a big fish in the League Two pond. :thup: Not wishing to condemn you to relegation already - but if you were to go down, do you have a sense whether the squad could bounce back, or do you think it needs some serious rebuilding?

It's a shame things didn't work out with Darlington, but at least you've gone upwards again job-wise :) Hopefully you can make a great escape but as you said being the big fish in League Two wouldn't be the end of the world. Quick question about finances though, how did you stop Darlington losing money? I've got the lowest wage expenditure in the league, attendances and season tickets up 20%, and I still lose 70k on a good month :(

Brave there to go straight into a club with serious chance of getting relegated - not sure whether you're not falling into a trap that could plummet your reputation. But I can understand the move, it's a step up, particularly if you're planning to stick to Southend for a little while.

Thanks for the wishes of good luck - I think we'll need it!

I'd love to bring Freddy Eastwood back, he'd be 32 or 33 by now but I bet he's still better than Tony Garrod! :p

Off to see the fireworks tonight, so probably won't get round to being the messiah or (far more likely) deciding who not to sacrifice to the gods of the wagebill til tomorrow or the weekend.

It's a shame things didn't work out with Darlington, but at least you've gone upwards again job-wise :) Hopefully you can make a great escape but as you said being the big fish in League Two wouldn't be the end of the world. Quick question about finances though, how did you stop Darlington losing money? I've got the lowest wage expenditure in the league, attendances and season tickets up 20%, and I still lose 70k on a good month :(

Take a look at your appearance fees/goal bonuses and make sure they're not too excessive. Though the best tonic is of course having your board put money in, and get an FA Cup tie against a Premier League side. I was quite lucky in that respect with Darlington, I think we'd probably have seen administration if neither of those things had happened.

The missus' work was putting on a display for Bonfire Night, so I got dragged along. Home earlier than expected, so that means one thing and one thing only... :D

And then some FM after that ;)

I know Nobby, I should probably have stayed to finish the job. To be honest if the chairman had met me halfway I'd have stayed. He refused every request I made in 2 years, though.

Coventry are third and with just one day's gap between that and the Colchester game I had to make some changes to a knackered 11.

Shame.png

We were under the cosh for long periods, but could have taken something. I think we would have with a full-strength 11. Disappointing. Back into the abyss, but just one point away from safety.

Coventry are third and with just one day's gap between that and the Colchester game I had to make some changes to a knackered 11.

I normally just give up a game,rest the best players and go all in where I have the best chance to win....doesn't always work tho :o

Nice to see you stay in England for a bit longer and hope you manage to win your relegation battle.

Can't say I'm too impressed with what you were offered by Dag + Red...I only get £12k p/w for wages :lol:

Thanks all :)

Now this was probably the second most imporant win so far, after that first one.

Crucial.png

Northampton were just above us in the table - a true 6-pointer. Also showing mental strength in recovering from that setback against Coventry.

So, so, so frustrating. They went 2-0 up, we brought it back to 2-2 and were thoroughly outplaying them, until they injured my AML who had been tearing them to shreds, then a defensive error gave them their only CCC of the match (compared to our 5) and they won it.

Gah.png

We're in the relegation zone on goals scored at the moment, just below Northampton.

Lost the next game 1-0 at home to Exeter, Garrod hit the post from 3 yards in the 89th minute.

2 points adrift with 2 to play - against Swindon (4th) away and Tranmere (7th) at home. I think we're done.

I've seen bigger miracles on FM,you can do this. :)

Btw when is the new stadium ready?

SnakeXe's Career - Season 4 - 2015/16

Story of the Season:

League One - 21st (24th on arrival), Relegated

Well with 2 games left it didn't look good, 2 points off safety with 2 difficult games coming up. The first, against Swindon, was the toughest as it was away from home, and we duly lost 3-1. Luckily everyone around us lost as well, so we still had a shot at survival going into the final day showdown with Tranmere.

We kept up our end of the bargain, battling to an amazing 1-0 win to not only give ourselves a chance of staying up, but also deny the Lilywhites a playoff spot.

Unfortunately, Brentford weren't as reliable, losing 3-1 to Northampton, meaning we were down by a point.

FA Cup - N/A

League Cup - N/A

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - N/A

Results - Squad

Transfers - Broke even

None of them were mine.

Finances

In deeper poo than when I arrived. May have misjudged this "find a financially stable club" deal.

5 Most Important Players:

Rather than 5 most important players this season, this is the 5 players most likely to help us back up next season.

5. Luke Young - M/AMRC - A creative presence in midfield.

4. Louis Rowley - DL - Impressive fullback.

3. Oscar Chadney - D/WBRL - The other half of a great pair of fullbacks - invaluable.

2. Luke Rooney - M/AMRLC/ST - Skillful and quick, should be unstoppable in League Two.

1. Charlie Nunn - AML - His injury in the gutting 3-2 defeat to Doncaster may have been the single moment where survival edged beyond our grasp. He had their fullback on a plate and was getting ready to finish off the last morcel. That would have been 3 points for us, and probably more in the following two that we lost as well. He got 6 assists in the 6 games he played under me this season.

History:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season  | Team            | League                | Country      | Position | Notes                                     |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2012/13 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Semi-finalists                    |
| 2013/14 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 3rd      | Resigned in October                       |
|    -    | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 14th     | 15th on arrival in October                |
| 2014/15 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Winners                           |
| 2015/16 | Darlington      | League Two            | England      | 16th     | Resigned in January                       |
|    -    | Southend United | League One            | England      | 21st     | Relegated, 24th on arrival in March       |

Next Season:

So close, yet so far. Honestly, I thought 5 wins from the 10 games I was in charge for would be more than enough to stay up, but the teams around us were just about good enough to stop us overhauling them.

We have to aim for the title next year. I intend to keep my squad in tact where possible, they've shown in the run in that they've got the right sort of attitude and no little skill.

Former Club Watch:

Weymouth F.C.:

Nearly relegated this season, still have the manager who replaced me, but most of my players are gone.

Season    League                  Position  Notes                  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13*  Blue Square South       2nd       Playoff semi-finalists
2013/14*  Blue Square South       9th       I left in October
2014/15   Blue Square South       10th      -
2015/16   Blue Square South       19th      -

NB * indicates that I was in charge for at least part of the season.

Darlington F.C.:

The new manager, former Kidderminster boss Gary Phillips, managed to keep them in League Two successfully. As expected, results picked up quickly after I left. He did finish poorly, however, so hopefully he'll strengthen for the coming season.

Season    League                  Position  Notes                  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14*  Blue Square Premier     14th      I joined in October
2014/15*  Blue Square Premier     2nd       Playoff Winners
2015/16*  League Two              18th      I left in January

So close, yet so far. Honestly, I thought 5 wins from the 10 games I was in charge for would be more than enough to stay up

Probably would have made it with 4-5 more games.

Have you moved into Fossett Farm?

Bought my season ticket and look forward to follow the rise of the shrimps.

Archived