FM12 Arsenal Thread - Life after Cesc

llama3

Do you have the French League loaded Llew? BTW well done on Chamberlain, at a young age he seems to be on top form for you atm

Yes, I have the French leagues loaded down to the CFA. That may be a bit too detailed for most people, but I like to be realistic :thup: As for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, I agree. He's become one of my most important players in his debut Premier League season. Here are some assorted statistics from his season so far in an attacking capacity: 12 goals, 7 assists, 84% pass completion ratio, 7 key passes & 7.87 average rating. He really has had a great season.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Niang can definitely do a job for you almost immediate Llew!

I feel he's better suited for at least one season picking up regular, first-team football rather than making a few appearances through coming off the bench. Also, I have plans to bring in Lukas Podolski and possibly even Olivier Giroud, so game time would be at a premium :thup:

Lost the euro super cup 5-4 to PSG, amazing match, they stole it in extra time

7A1D1C465F296BD0396F2DEC09A2037284F5E4F3

And my current squad, park and santos on loans and bendtner in the reserves following his best efforts to cost me a win in an earlier match

01C08A7548A152A2835E6E3068019A17EE1F76B2

Hi guys. I bought two players at games start and both were accepted but transfer doesn't happen until July 2012, did I miss something? 12 months "ouch"

How old were these players? In some countries, like Spain and Brazil, players under a certain age aren't allowed to move to a foreign club. Also, you may have chose to sign them at the end of the season by mistake.

How old were these players? In some countries, like Spain and Brazil, players under a certain age aren't allowed to move to a foreign club. Also, you may have chose to sign them at the end of the season by mistake.

Thanks must be an overseas thing like you said, I signed Walter Montillo and Gylfi Sigurdsson on the forums recomendation, supossed to be quite good. However wont find out until Jan 2012 and Juun or July 2012 for Gylfi. thanks anyways

01C08A7548A152A2835E6E3068019A17EE1F76B2
How did you manage to sign Torres in your first season?

Just like real life he had an awful season, that combined with being dropped by the new manager results in him asking for a transfer :D 14 million well spent I think, I saved 36 million on a 50 million striker :p

introductionx.png

MONTHLY UPDATE - NOVEMBER;

After an up and down month last time around, we were forced to make much more of this month. From our trip to far-away Russia, to the closer location of Norwich City's Carrow Road. Here's how the month of November, which could prove to be a vital one, went.

NOVEMBER - FIXTURES & RESULTS;

UEFA Champions League | Group Stage;

Arsenal - 1 (van Persie '30)

Marseille - 1 (Kaboré '52, Brandao missed penalty '11)

After receiving a 6-1 trouncing in Southern France, we were definitely on the war path to achieve revenge. The game didn't start well, though. After 10 minutes, we gave away a soft penalty which, luckily, Brandao basted over in the fashion of Sergio Ramos. Robin van Persie, half an hour in, scored a fine solo effort which only increased the pressure on Marseille's wasteful strikers. The game then saw little action, until the cracks in our back-line reappeared as Charles Kaboré scored a tap-in after some disjointed defensive work. Glad we managed a draw - it was a tough game.

Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 4 (van Persie '19, Gervinho '30, Arteta '61, Coquelin '90+2)

West Brom - 0

Delighted. Defensively we were solid while our attacking set-up overwhelmed Roy Hodgson's supposedly organised back four. All four goals were good in their own right: RVP's goal came after some good work between himself and Ramsey, before Robin slid the ball in after a deflected Ramsey shot. Gervinho's came after some fine build-up play, which saw van Persie dropping deep and playing through Gervinho who finished with aplomb. Mikel Arteta's a near-post strike from a corner and Francis Coquelin, who deputised for the unfit Alex Song, a 30-yard piledriver. RVP's playmaking was evident - 6 key passes.

Barclays Premier League;

Norwich - 2 (Morison '52, Koscielny OG '81)

Arsenal - 1 (Walcott '45+3)

This was a drab match on our behalf. We looked a completely different team to the dominant side that took to the field against West Brom a week ago. Our midfield didn't take control of the game and, ultimately, it cost us. With Theo's goal coming on the half-time whistle, I was sure we could go out in the second-half to completely run proceedings, but that wasn't the case as Norwich scored two second-half goals. Their narrow 4-1-2-1-2 formation provided a good challenege and earned them a cleverly manufactured win.

Arsenal - 2 (Benayoun '45+1, Rosický '63)

Rubin Kazan - 0

Much happier with this outing. After our disappointment on the weekend, it was easy for us to go out already as beaten men, but we provided the Arsenal faithful with a fine win. Both goals, scored by captain's of their respective National Teams, were similar. Both came after some good work, both on their right-foot and both caught the Rubin 'keeper unawares at the near post. Our passing was far more accomplished, but far from the level that I expect. Alex Song made a welcome return to the first-team too.

Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 0

Fulham - 0

The scoreline says it all; there was little offered from both sides. It was going to take fine individual exertions to break down either defensive set-up and Fulham's Costa Rican playmaker, Bryan Ruíz, almost provided it. Alex Song, in a defensive capacity, was back to his imposing best.

Carling Cup | Quarter Final;

Liverpool - 0

Arsenal - 2 (Johnson OG '38, van Persie '63)

We traveled up to the influential Anfield with an experienced, strong outfit to combat the strengths of Kenny Dalglish's Liverpool team. Liverpool managed to disrupt our regular passing game, but we managed to unlock their defence on numerous occasions. The first goal came about after Mikel Arteta produced a dangerous troughball which Glen Johnson failed to deal with properly, before hitting it into his own net. The second goal - assisted by our marauding left-back Kieran Gibbs - was a near-post cracker. van Persie turned on the ball, struck from about 10-yards before it settled in the net via the crossbar. Good win.

bpltablenovember.png

Barclays Premier League table; December 1st

ANYTHING ELSE?

Yossi Benayoun - The Israeli captain's quit the international stage;

yossibenayounretiredfro.png

I'm glad he's made this decision, even though he will b going back to Chelsea in the Summer, as it will prolong his professional career at the highest level. He's a great asset to have in your squad. Whatever he's done, he's been a great servant to Israelite football.

The Future - Héctor Bellerín;

On most of my saves, I tend to have a huge preference towards producing home-grown players, players who've risen through the ranks to become first-team squad members. At Arsenal, we are blessed with great training facilities as well as an already established youth set-up which has nurtured players like Jack Wilshere, Cesc Fabregas and Wojciech Szczesny. Here's another player who, in time, will hopefully be added to that accomplished list;

hctorbellern.png

I'm pleased with the development that Bellerín has displayed. He's definitely a player I'd love to bleed into the first-team squad in the next three seasons or so. After signing from Barça's La Masia academy, he's showing signs of maturity in his regular U18 right-back berth.

COYG!

Random but I think you would enjoy managing Ajax Llew, with the youth policy and football Ajax play

I probably would. I've always contemplated a save with them, but I've never got round to making one. I might try a save with them later on :thup:

EDIT: In my most recent game against Trabzonspor in the UEFA Champions League, a game which we won 3-1, two midfielders picked up quite lengthy injuries which may force me to delve into the relative insecurity of the January Transfer Window.

MIKEL ARTETA - Broken Metatarsal - 2 to 3 Months

I'm gutted about this one. Mikel Arteta, despite his ageing legs, has been one of my most consistent players. We'll miss him hugely, especially as he was the calming influence in amongst a young midfield. So far, he's provided a wealth of experience to the team. Not only does this provide a problem in terms of performances, but the depth of talent in midfield has been restricted. Abou Diaby, who's nearing full fitness, should expect some game time in the coming weeks.

AARON RAMSEY - Stage two Calf strain - 3 to 4 weeks

Ramsey's been one of my most creative players this season, and has provided an enthusiasm and a clever, attack-minded hub in the midfield - with Ramsey gone, there's not much ability when it comes to making that killer ball, bar Tomas Rosický. Similar to Mikel Arteta, he'll be missed.

I have just wrapped up the 2013/2014 season and despite being potentially seven points behind Chelsea in Janaury, we actually went on to have a lot of success...

pl1314end.png

Before January, we were behind Chelsea in the table, having lost two games and drawn three while Chelsea had won almsot every league game they played (including a win against us at Stamford Bridge). After that, though, we got our act together and went on an unbeaten run from Jan 1st to the end of the season. The signings of Jones and Pedro really helped inject some fresh energy into the side. We struggled for consistency at first, but once we hit our stride we were pretty much unstoppable. We conceded a few more goals than I would have liked, but we scored plenty so I suppose it balances out.

We actually won the Premier League and the FA Cup on the same day. While we were preparing to play Southampton in the final, Man Utd lost away to Wigan to leave a five point gap with a game to go. It was a strange feeling and I don't think this has ever happened to me before; winning the FA Cup for the third year in a row and winning the Premier League for the third year in a row at the same time. Remarkable.

After exiting the Champions League in the semi-finals the last two seasons, we finally won the damn thing this year. After comfortably getting past Porto in the Last 16, we just about scraped past Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals. We got absoultey battered in the second leg, but we managed to hold on to a 2-1 aggregate scoreline. The semi-finals saw us face Barcelona again, and it took a penalty shootout to get past them. Finally, Arsene Wenger's Sevilla were our opponents in the final and we comfortably beat them 3-1.

squad1314.png

I'm happy with the quality I have in the squad, but have the overwhelming urge to freshen things up a bit. The first thing I'll be doing is reviewing the wage structure and ensuring players are getting appropriate wages for their squad status. Then I'll be working from there. I'm not expecting a major overhaul, but there will be some major transfers.

Laurent Koscielny scored an amazing goal for me last night. I was away to Manchester United at Old Trafford, had taken a 73rd minute lead from the penalty spot, but this was cancelled out by Rooney 4 minutes later. Manchester United had a corner, and Koscielny won the header, and it broke loose outside the box, Koscielny charged it down, got their first, and began to drive forward with the ball, Man Utd had 1 defender back, and I had a man over, but Koscielny carried it over the halfway line, and began to bear down on goal, out came David De Gea, and Koscielny just cooly slid the ball underneath him - great goal. Would have been delighted if that was van Persie or Walcott, but it being Koscielny was magnificent!

Just to prove the theory which was already touted (JEinchy, SFraser (R.I.P.)) that there's already pretty good squad from the start, and with one transfer David Alaba (22M Euros on the start of the game), since Andre Santos just isn't my cup of tea. He is too lazy on the training and too old. After getting to know of my players, team talks, and specific tactics, I managed to come to culmination of my quadruple in the first season. This is just to brag about, and to force Wenger way :)

jTA9P.jpg

wRQWP.jpg

"Kokica" is manager's and fans favourite Laurent Koscielny (Kokica, is a Serbian word for tiny little hen)

I must admit I am thinking about replacing Andre Santos, every time he plays he gets booked. I had to bring him on in the 88th minute and his first touch yellow card.

Him and Djourou I would like to see the back of. I was looking at Leighton Baines at Everton but they want £23m.

What sort of prices have you guys paid for 'Bainesy'?

I must admit I am thinking about replacing Andre Santos, every time he plays he gets booked. I had to bring him on in the 88th minute and his first touch yellow card.

Him and Djourou I would like to see the back of. I was looking at Leighton Baines at Everton but they want £23m.

What sort of prices have you guys paid for 'Bainesy'?

If you want to "splash the cash" then Alaba is your man, if you like to play out of defense, and to dominate and control passing game, then alaba on the left as attacking full back is your man, 22M Euros I bought him at the beginning, he's 19, and full of potential to develop...Also you can try to buy Fernando from Porto and retrain him as a Full back, I had him as a right back, because sagna is 31, and he is a beast.

I was always run off the mill person :)

I think I paid something like £21mil for Baines and although there are cheaper alternatives, he's been a great signing. Not only is he a good defender, but his offensive qualities can prove to be very valuable to you.

Just to prove the theory which was already touted (JEinchy, SFraser (R.I.P.)) that there's already pretty good squad from the start, and with one transfer David Alaba (22M Euros on the start of the game), since Andre Santos just isn't my cup of tea. He is too lazy on the training and too old. After getting to know of my players, team talks, and specific tactics, I managed to come to culmination of my quadruple in the first season. This is just to brag about, and to force Wenger way :)

wRQWP.jpg

Amazing result against Bayern especially with Chamakh upfront lol he is a lot better on this game then in real life!

introductiont.png

MONTHLY UPDATE - DECEMBER;

With the Christmas period providing many fixtures in a short space of time, our fitness and squad depth will be tested to the maximum. With trips to the Etihad Stadium, as well as a tiring trip to Turkey's Trabzonspor - this month may eptimosie the words determination and stamina.

DECEMBER - FIXTURES & RESULTS;

Barclays Premier League;

Wigan - 0

Arsenal - 2 (Koscielny '78, Benayoun '90+2)

We didn't play to our usual standard, sadly. Wigan, who were propping up the rest of the table, certainly didn't play like a team who look certain to go down. Their passing was something to behold, so much so, they outplayed us on a number of occasions. We were lucky that a Laurent Koscielny volley, from 6-yards, ultimately won us the game. Benayoung scored his third goal of the season which capped a flattering scoreline.

Trabzonspor - 1 (Altintop '62)

Arsenal - 3 (Park Chu-Young '23, Gibbs '60, Rosický '87, Arteta missed penalty '19, Rosický missed penalty '82)

A thoroughly professional performance. After a disappointing performance in our last outing, we travelled to Turkey and achieved a result with minimal fuss - despite the two missed penalties! Park latched on to a wonderfully lofted ball from Alex Song to make it one-nil. The second goal came after Gibbs' fine late run into the box was rewarded as the ball broke to him at the far-post. Two-nil. Halil Altintop then lobbed Szczesny to bring one goal back, but Tomas Rosický, who just missed a penalty, scored a fine goal after good link-up play from substitute Marouane Chamakh. Fine performance.

Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 3 (van Persie pen '25, Gervinho '62, Oxlade-Chamberlain '76)

Everton - 0

We approached this game with a firm head, one that hadn't deviated from our game state. We began the game well; Gervinho's direct dribbling became an issue for the Everton backline. We opened the scoring as Gervinho earned us a penalty, which van Persie converted with with aplomb. The second goal - scored by that man again, Gervinho - was made by Theo Walcott. His fine run with the ball at his feet allowed Gervinho to time his run well, before knocking it into the net. After those two goals, there came a relative spell of dominance from us before Oxlade-Chamberlain, our teenage sensation, executed a good one-two with Gervinho before sliding it beneath the on rushing Tim Howard. Good win ahead of our trip to Eastlands.

Barclays Premier League;

Man. City - 3 (Tevez '31, Touré '36, Nasri '45+1)

Arsenal - 1 (van Persie '9)

This was always going to be a tough one. We came into the game with the intention of remaining faithful to our principles - the style of play that had earned us many plaudits from fellow managers and got us winning games - and that's what we did. In essence, we were beaten by the better team. With the plethora of talent from top to toe within the City XI, from David Silva to Vincent Kompany, it was almost inevitable. But, we went down fighting and made Roberto Mancini's side work hard for it.

Barclays Premier League;

Aston Villa - 1 (Ireland '38, Stevens Second Yellow '47)

Arsenal - 1 (Oxlade-Chamberlain '17)

Disappointed with this one. Fair enough, we may have been still recovering after our exertions in the Etihad a week previously, but I feel this is two points lost. After Enda Stevens, the inexperienced Irish right-back, was sent off I felt we could've went on, grasped the game by the neck and bagged another two or three goals, but our attacking movement and creativity was absent. Although, young Francis Coquelin had a good game in a more advanced role; the omission of Mikel Arteta due to injury may earn him some much deserved game time.

Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 4 (van Persie '7, pen '38, '59, Hennessey OG '44)

Wolves - 0

I thoroughly enjoyed this match. We completely dominated and outshone Wolves in every aspect of the game. From passing, to creating chances, to tackling - we were great. The van Persie hattrick really does put the match in a nutshell. Every player was allowed time and room on the ball, and we certainly didn't reject the obvious invitation to exploit Wolves' tactical deficiencies. The first RVP goal came after a firm right-foot shot from 6-yards. The second from the penalty spot, a place where he's yet miss from this season, and the third after some fine work from Kieran Gibbs on the byline. Alex Song, who will be sorely missed once he departs for the African Cup of Nations, racked up no less than 67 completed passes.

Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 2 (Rosický pen '12, Gervinho '75)

Q.P.R - 2 (Cissé '25, '43)

This was, despite our dominance in midfield once again, a tough game. Djibril Cissé's pace and power was something we couldn't deal with. I played Mertesacker in the belief that he'd break up opposition attacks with his fine anticipation and composure attributes, while Koscielny would be dropping deep picking up the runs of Cissé but his pace was just too much. Started the game well with Rosický's relative calm from the penalty spot put us ahead, but we lost two first-half goals, both scored by Cissé. Luckily for us, our in-form man, Gervinho, scored yet another goal to make is a Desmond (TuTu | 2-2).

bpltabledecember.png

Barclays Premier League table | January 1st

ANYTHING ELSE?

FA Cup Third Round draw - Once the festive period has ended, the games still come at a relentless pace. One of the added factors to the importance of the New Year is that the FA Cup returns to our match schedule. We've been drawn against Newcastle at The Emirates Stadium. This will, despite the sacking of Alan Pardew and introduction of club legend Alan Shearer, a very tough game.

Robin van Persie - He's signed a new contract! As you can probably guess from the heading; Robin van Persie, our talisman, captain and top scorer, has agreed a new deal at The Emirates to keep him with us until 2015. To be fair, I'm absolutely delighted. He's been brilliant this season, from making goals to scoring them. With van Persie in our side, we look a completely different proposition than we do without him. Let's just hope he'll sign a new deal, much like this one, in reality!

robinvanpersienewcontra.png

COYG!

Llew where are you playing and what are your settings for Gervinho.I have been using him on the R/L as IF, and all he does is runs down the wing with ball gets to the byline turns and heads for goal and gets corners of the defenders, sometimes he passes to a team mate but very rarely.Can't remember how I have him set up at the moment, will try and sort it out tomorrow.

I started a new game...not keeping it...just for some experiments with transfers to see what the top players were asking in wages.Cavani wanted £145,000 and Lavezzi wanted £125,000. So guys who is the highest earner in your saves?.

My biggest earner is my captain, Robin van Persie at a rather extortionate £100k. Although, we have a whole host of players, like Sébastien Squillaci, Nicklas Bendtner, Marouane Chamakh and Park Chu-Young all on £50k+ a week. Come the Summer, I will have to fully reevaluate my wage plan. Starting from the likes of Robin van Persie, all the way to players like Serge Gnabry in my U18 squad. Needs some attention.

As for where and how I play Gervinho: I play him as an AML, usually, with the role of an Inside Forward > Attack. With my footballing ethics and beliefs all revolving around possession, good football and teamwork, I have the AML's mentality set quite low which will allow whoever's playing there, whether it be Gervinho, Benayoun etc., to drop deep and get involved with not only the finishing of moves, but the initial creation :thup:

Cheers Llew, Gervinho/Rosicky and Walcott/Ox all seem to come back and pick up balls from around the halfway line and sometimes even deeper.Will check what mentalities I've set tomorrow and have a play around with his settings.I also agree with your footballing ethics and beliefs.

I've had to come out of a year-long lurk mode after having the worst luck in history. During the first match of my second season, song had to go off with a broken leg and is out for 6 months (walcott picked up a 1 month injury in the same match believe it or not). I'm now torn between having to splash on someone I don't know i'm gonna want to use once song is back, or putting my faith in coquelin for 6 months and finding an understudy for the understudy to song.

If I go for the first option, some suggestions for short term replacements would be appreciated greatly. Yann M'vila was one player I was always keen on, but he hardly comes cheap and is actually a step up from song in many ways, which would leave me with another annoying choice to make in half a years time. The other one i thought of was Rolfes, however, I'm not entirely sure I like his lack of strength/tackling (which isnt as big an issue i guess) and his 'Gets into the opposition area' PPM which i feel would muff up the balance of my central 3. Any other suggestions? I'm playing a 4-5-1 (2 central mid and one attacking) and would need someone sitting alongside arteta

Llew where are you playing and what are your settings for Gervinho.I have been using him on the R/L as IF, and all he does is runs down the wing with ball gets to the byline turns and heads for goal and gets corners of the defenders, sometimes he passes to a team mate but very rarely.Can't remember how I have him set up at the moment, will try and sort it out tomorrow.

Without knowing your entire setup, all I can say is perhaps try lowering his runs and adjusting his wide play settings. I've personally found gervinho played better in my system with RWB set to rarely (his PPM sees him running a lot anyway). I also have him set to move into channels so that he isnt just limited to receiving the ball wide and then running inside. I've also found that this tends to get my front 3 moving a lot more dangerously too, as well as allowing the fullbacks more space to run in to. I'm interested to see what you have him set up to do. Might be easier to figure out why he seems to have the blinkers on for you.

Griezmann just scored 4 for me against Liverpool, has been a good signing for me so far. I'm heading into the final 2 months of my season with 2 strikers, Damaio and Fierro, with RVp and Torres both injured for 3 more months =/

I forgot to register the injured Thomas Vermaelen for the premiership. Now his status is alienated, wants first team football. He feels "the relationship has broken down" , and does not want to have any chats anymore. As I could register him in the second transferwindow I am now playing him again. He is however still unhappy, refuses to talk to me and still want first team football (?). Anyone knows if he will turn around or that I cannot get him to be a happy player again? I am not sure if the alienated status put me as an unliked person in the background.

Without knowing your entire setup, all I can say is perhaps try lowering his runs and adjusting his wide play settings. I've personally found gervinho played better in my system with RWB set to rarely (his PPM sees him running a lot anyway). I also have him set to move into channels so that he isnt just limited to receiving the ball wide and then running inside. I've also found that this tends to get my front 3 moving a lot more dangerously too, as well as allowing the fullbacks more space to run in to. I'm interested to see what you have him set up to do. Might be easier to figure out why he seems to have the blinkers on for you.

Hi SP, Gervinho is set as follows

Mentality - Attack

Creative Freedom - Much

Roam from Pos - Yes

Passing Style - Mixed

Run from Deep - Often

Long Shots - Often

Thru Balls - Often

Cross Balls - Often

Cross From - Mixed

Wide Play - Cut Inside

Its funny because after reading your post I suddenly thought to myself 'I don't remember doing the settings for the IF's'.

I will start by trying RWB to rarely and see what happens.

I can't remember how I had Long Shots set up in FM2010 but I will also look at limiting them as well, not just for Gervinho but for other players as well.

PS: Just Changed RWB to Rarely and he is a completely different player. Thanks SP

Nearly had an undefeated season, only lost once and won the league with 4 games to spare :) Has been a good second season with the carlin cup and league won. Facing Real Madrid in the semi final however I only have 1 striker left, gonna be tough =/

FA Cup 5th Round Draw

Sheffield Wednesday vs Arsenal

Again playing lowe league opposition although this time we are away. In the other ties Liverpool travel to Wolves Whilst Spurs and Chelsea should see off Middlesbrough and Cardiff

PREMIER LEAGUE

Arsenal 2 – Tevez 19 Vertonghen 68

Newcastle 0

With the United game on the Sunday I rested a few players ahead of that game meaning Cavani, Mascherano and Chamberlain were all rested. I opted to pair Tevez alongside Van Persie upfront and he produced a moment of magic swivelling on the edge of the area to give us a 1-0 lead. We contained it with Newcastle only going close once when Vuckic smashed a 35yard shot against the bar. Vertonghen then added a second but it was never really in doubt.

PREMIER LEAGUE

Manchester United 0

Arsenal 3 – Van Persie 49pen Wilshere 70 Gibbs 85

Always the biggest test of the season. I expected the unbeaten run to have it’s sternest test and set out to escape from Old Trafford unscathed. United though had 7 shots in the first four minutes hitting the underside of bar and having two headers cleared off the line with just over a minute gone. After that though we began to settle and that early tirade subsided as we had the better chances to lead at the break. Tevez curling hopelessly wide after being put through on goal by Ramsey. I settled for it though. The second half started in a similar vain to the first with United on top but when Mascherano stole possession from fletcher in the centre of midfield and fed the ball through to \van Persie who was clipped by Vidic in the area for a penalty. Van Persie lashed it into the top corner for that vital 1-0 lead. After I shut up shop a bit bringing on Gibbs for Tevez. United were more open and Wilshere then doubled the lead with 20 minutes to go. After a couple of scares Gibbs smashed in a third at DeGea’s near post to add a real shine to the score-line. The unbeaten run hits 60. Happy happy times.

PREMIER LEAGUE

Bolton 0

Arsenal 2 – Cavani 1 Wilshere 64

It’s never ideal to have an away game after an international break (England drew 1-1 with Brazil at Wembley). What you need is a good start and we got it after just 18 seconds Cavani getting a reverse pass from Van Persie and shrugging off challenges to calmly slot home. We continued to threaten and Cavani was in again this time hitting the base of the post. Wilshere then added a second with a rare header and we never looked like letting that slip. Five clean sheets in a row for the first time under my management.

PREMIER LEAGUE

Arsenal 6 – Van Persie 11 Yobo o.g 51 Lavezzi 57 Cavani 64 84 Gibbs 72

Everton 0

We welcomed back Andre Schurrle for the visit by Everton but had lost two midfielders with Chamberlain and Wilshere joining Sagna on the sidelines. I had played quite conservatlvy in the last couple of games happy to make it tight by keeping a stingy defense but was back to the usual fluid mode. Schurrle, looking to add to his season tally set up Van Persie for the only goal of the half early on. Second haklf the floodgates opened at it could easily have been double figures. Gibbs coming off the bench to score again while Cavani could easily have had six. Nice to see Lavezzi get on the scoresheert too. Ramsey was fantastic with three assists. A shame he couldn’t score.

FA CUP 5th ROUND

Sheffield Wednesday 1 – O’Grady 72

Arsenal 3 – Walcott 17 19 64

I rung the changes in the FA Cup with the trip to Naples only three days away. Reserve players Torquniho, Nobili and Mohammed Veltman all started with the likes of Van Persie, Vermaelen Cavani and Schurrle resting their legs. Walcott hadn’t had much game time so I statrted him alongside Ghidini and having scored in the last two games I gave Gibbs a run at attacking left mid. It was Walcott that inspired the team as he struck twice in two minutes to give us a commanding 2-0 lead. Walcott completed his hattrick just after the hour. We looked to add more goals, before Wednesday with their only shot on target of the whole game.

FA Cup 5th Round Review

There was nothing really to say. Everyone winning as expected until Monday night football and Wolves beating Liverpool 2-0. Don’t really know if that’s counted as a shock anymore.

FA Cup 6th Round Draw

Chelsea vs Arsenal

Unbeaten in 24 FA Cup ties we face a big test in the FA Cup quarter-final trip to Stamford Bridge. Have a feeling the likes of Cavani and Van Persie will be returning. In the other ties Spurs also face an away London derby with a trip to QPR while Wolves host Sunderland and in an all-championship clash between reading and Norwich.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SECOND ROUND 1ST LEG

Napoli 2 – Ramirez 46 Ayew 68

Arsenal 1 – Vermaelen 64

An untimely bout of flu ruled Leighton Baines out of the first leg in Italy. As one defender went out, another came in with the return of Sagna to ease the cause. Having had a more conservative approach in recent weeks I set out the same again. It worked perfectly as a very dull first half saw just four shots all of them for Arsenal although napoli showed signs of threat and had 58% possession. Second half somehow we managed to concede from a corner. We created several chances and eventually Vermaelen bundled home to get us back on terns. I expected a routine win or draw and in fact napoli only had one more shot but it was a telling one as Ayew pounced on a rebound to give Napoli a lead going into the return leg.

Champions League second round 1st leg review

United beat Rangers 1-0 at ibrox, Madrid also seem comfortable as they won 2-0 on lyon. The other two English teams had mixed fortunes. Spurs produced an excellent victory in Paris to beat PSG but Man City were thumped 5-2 by Marseille. In the blockbuster ties. Ac Milan beat Bayern 3-0 and Barcelona won 3-2 in Italy against Juventus. In the other tie Dortmund beat Porto 3-0.

TOP SCORERS (all comps)

Not the most prolific month but everyone chipped in.

Cavani – 30

Van Persie - 15

Walcott - 14

Schurrle - 13

Chamberlain – 9

Tevez – 8

Wilshere – 7

Ramsey - 6

Koscielny – 6

Ghidini – 5

TOP ASSISTS (all comps)

His goals may have dried up but Van persie is still pitching in with assists.

Van Persie - 24

Schurrle – 16

Chamberlain - 12

Ramsey – 11

Tevez - 10

Cavani – 8

Wilshere - 7

TOP MOM’S (all comps)

Cavani - 7

Schurrle - 6

Van Persie - 6

Walcott – 5

Ramsey - 3

Chamberlain – 3

Sagna - 3

AVERAGE RATINGS (all comps minimum 5 games)

Robin Van Persie – 7.75

Andre Schurrle – 7.71

Edison Cavani – 7.68

Leighton Baines – 7.45

Bacary Sagna – 7.44

LEAGUE TABLE

Another perfect month saw us push on and continue our unbeaten run. We’ve now won 15 straight league games. Tottenham also won all their games but still trail by 14. Wolves dropped out of the top 5 after a dip in form. March only see’s us play two league games with a mixture of eague Cup, Fa Cup and Champions League thrown in.

1. Arsenal played 27 points 75

2. Tottenham played 27 points 61

3. Man City played 26 points 54

4. Man United played 27 points 47

5. Chelsea played 25 points 47

--------------------------------

11. Liverpool played 26 points 36

GAME OF THE MONTH

I usually go with the bigger teams games in this one but nothing stood out so I thought I’d opt for a five goal thriller instead with a cruel twist at the end.

ASTON VILLA 3-2 BOLTON

Chamakh 41 Johnson 68 Bent 90 /-/ Orellana 75 Reo-Coker 83

Shots - 8 - 11

On Ta - 4 - 5

Poss - 51 - 49

PLAYER OF THE MONTH– Robin Van Persie

Not quite the stats from January but still good enough for player of the month.

7.6 – sub 77

7.1 (1)

9.3 (1)

NS

STAT OF THE MONTH – The brilliance of youth

The youth team have been in tremendous form this season. Winning 19 of the 20 league games the only defeat coming to Charlton. As always Tottenham and Chelsea provide the biggest challenge. Chelsea lie in second 11 points behind with 6 games left. Arsenal won the league game 2-1 and did the double over spurs.

League Table

1. Arsenal Played 20 Points 57

2. Chelsea Played 20 Points 48

3. Charlton Played 20 Points 41

----------------------------------------

4. Tottenham Played 20 Points 37

Top Goalscorers

Blackwell - 10

Mickelwhite - 9

Bevin - 8

Mcguire - 5

Top Assists

Vincent - 6

Balaskas - 6

Blackwell - 5

Lawley - 5

Ali – 5

Top mom

Ali – 3

Slade – 3

Blackwell - 2

Vincent - 2

Lawley - 2

Lake -2

Bevin – 2

Average rating

Ricky Lawley – 7.64

Bentley Slade – 7.56

Abassi Ali – 7.44

Max Blackwell – 7.39

Ricky Vincent – 7.34

The boys had less luck in the cup. Despite doing the double over them they went down 2-0 away at Tottenham in the Quarters.

2nd Round – Yeovil 2-4 Arsenal

3rd Round – Arsenal 4-0 Stevengae

4th Round – Colchester 0-3 Arsenal (a) 0-3

5th Round – Arsenal 2-1 Sunderland

Quarter-Final – Tottenham 2-0 Arsenal

The futture still looks bright!

My biggest earner is my captain, Robin van Persie at a rather extortionate £100k. Although, we have a whole host of players, like Sébastien Squillaci, Nicklas Bendtner, Marouane Chamakh and Park Chu-Young all on £50k+ a week. Come the Summer, I will have to fully reevaluate my wage plan. Starting from the likes of Robin van Persie, all the way to players like Serge Gnabry in my U18 squad. Needs some attention.

As for where and how I play Gervinho: I play him as an AML, usually, with the role of an Inside Forward > Attack. With my footballing ethics and beliefs all revolving around possession, good football and teamwork, I have the AML's mentality set quite low which will allow whoever's playing there, whether it be Gervinho, Benayoun etc., to drop deep and get involved with not only the finishing of moves, but the initial creation :thup:

Llew can I ask you if you also give your AMR a low mentality so he also drops deep and do you also recommend setting AMR RWB to rarely so that he performs in a similar way to the AML.

Would you say a normal mentality is best for both players. Also how would you set up Arteta, Ramsey and Song in a three man midfield. I will be playing a 451/433 formation.

Llew could you also advice me on how you would use Van Persie as a lone forward. I was thinking of playing him as a deep lying forward with support duty so that he links up with the midfield. I would like to get your advice on what you recommend I should do.

If you could send me a screenshot of your settings for your AML and AMR that would be great.

I know I am asking a lot but I am no good at this game and really struggling with this game

James9 - I'll go through everything one-by-one in order to show you what I do;

AMR [Theo Walcott] - In my tactics, whether it be my 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1 (4-1-2-2-1) set-up's, I want my AMR to be a dangerous outlet. I want him to almost become a second striker at times, and this is possible because of the way I've set-up RVP, which I'll outline later. In order to achieve this with my AMR, I've kept the Attacking Mentality at quite a high level as this will keep him primarily up in the final third. Of course, he'll still drop deep to receive the ball, but not as often as my AML or ST. His Creative Freedom is far lower compared to my AML; this makes Theo Walcott perform his job with a far greater sense of discipline, comapred to my AML who'll often roam about and use his creativity as much as he can.

Striker [Robin van Persie] - I've set-up Robin van Persie, who has great playmaking abilities, as a Trequartista. This, as he does in real-life, allows him to drop deep inbetween the opposition's midfield and defence and cause his creative havoc. His mentality is set to 'Normal' in order for him to drop into such positions, link-up the midfield to attack and become almost like an AMC - this is a key factor into the need for my AMR to drift into the channels, to occupy the advanced positions vacated by Robin van Persie. If I was you, I'd also override the default settings for a Trequartista role. Change the 'Runs from Deep' option to 'Sometimes' rather than 'Rarely'. This will allow him to lead the line, play some clever one-two's, as well as score a regular amount of goals. I'd also alter his 'Passing Style' to coincide your team's passing style. For me, that means a short passing style.

Here are some screenshots of the way I've set-up my midfield in a 4-1-2-2-1 formation;

Another key thing is that I don't set a primary playmaker. This will even out the burden of 'playmaking' within the midfield. If there's anything else, don't be afraid to post in here. Remember, this is just my set-up. Others may agree or disagree with this, but it's working for me so far.

James9 - I'll go through everything one-by-one in order to show you what I do;

AMR [Theo Walcott] - In my tactics, whether it be my 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1 (4-1-2-2-1) set-up's, I want my AMR to be a dangerous outlet. I want him to almost become a second striker at times, and this is possible because of the way I've set-up RVP, which I'll outline later. In order to achieve this with my AMR, I've kept the Attacking Mentality at quite a high level as this will keep him primarily up in the final third. Of course, he'll still drop deep to receive the ball, but not as often as my AML or ST. His Creative Freedom is far lower compared to my AML; this makes Theo Walcott perform his job with a far greater sense of discipline, comapred to my AML who'll often roam about and use his creativity as much as he can.

Striker [Robin van Persie] - I've set-up Robin van Persie, who has great playmaking abilities, as a Trequartista. This, as he does in real-life, allows him to drop deep inbetween the opposition's midfield and defence and cause his creative havoc. His mentality is set to 'Normal' in order for him to drop into such positions, link-up the midfield to attack and become almost like an AMC - this is a key factor into the need for my AMR to drift into the channels, to occupy the advanced positions vacated by Robin van Persie. If I was you, I'd also override the default settings for a Trequartista role. Change the 'Runs from Deep' option to 'Sometimes' rather than 'Rarely'. This will allow him to lead the line, play some clever one-two's, as well as score a regular amount of goals. I'd also alter his 'Passing Style' to coincide your team's passing style. For me, that means a short passing style.

Here are some screenshots of the way I've set-up my midfield in a 4-1-2-2-1 formation;

Another key thing is that I don't set a primary playmaker. This will even out the burden of 'playmaking' within the midfield. If there's anything else, don't be afraid to post in here. Remember, this is just my set-up. Others may agree or disagree with this, but it's working for me so far.

Thanks Llew could you also send me a screenshot for Theo Walcott and Gerhvino and if you have one for Van Persie that would also help me. Do you set you full backs to support or automatic. Also I will be playing a balance/control tactic with short passing, expressive creative freedom, high pressing and more roaming. Do you think I need to change anything tactically. I was also thinking of playing a ball playing defender/stopper and central defender/ cover combination but I am unsure on how to set them up. Sorry for all the questions and request but I guess I am a novice at this game and any I am thankful for any help I can get

Thanks Llew could you also send me a screenshot for Theo Walcott and Gerhvino and if you have one for Van Persie that would also help me. Do you set you full backs to support or automatic. Also I will be playing a balance/control tactic with short passing, expressive creative freedom, high pressing and more roaming. Do you think I need to change anything tactically. I was also thinking of playing a ball playing defender/stopper and central defender/ cover combination but I am unsure on how to set them up. Sorry for all the questions and request but I guess I am a novice at this game and any I am thankful for any help I can get

AML - Gervinho - This role has performed well throughout the season whoever's played there. From Yossi Benayoun's creativity, to Gervinho's pace and directness - it suits all types of players. Although, I tend to tweak it somewhat to whoever's playing there. For instance, when Gervinho plays there I tend to keep the Runs from Deep option at Always. This will provide a great attacking threat; his pace, movement and finishing is key to this working. When the more playmaking-type, like Yossi Benayoun, plays there, I tend to limit his Runs from Deep to Sometimes. This will keep him in between the opposition defence and attack. He becomes much more like an Inside Forward - Support.

AMR - Theo Walcott - I've outlined my reasons for this in my previous post to you, but I want him to play somewhat as a second striker, to burst into the space left by RVP dropping deep - the wide play option of Moves Into Channels seems to achieve this. It also emulates the way Walcott plays in reality too.

My fullbacks - I set them both up as Fullback - Support. I want them to get forward, but remain responsible and disciplined in defence. It seems to be working. They regularly get up and support our midfield and wide men, providing a great outlet. Often, my two fullback's accumulate upwards of 70+ passes in a single game. I use the default settings from many of the instructions: Runs from Deep, Cross Ball etc. all set to Sometimes. The only one I tend to change is the Long Shots instruction. I think it's obvious what I change that too. Also, don't give them too much Creative Freedom. Yes, you should allow them some freedom and room to work in, but increasing it to an unnatural level will only hinder your defensive set-up.

As for the centre-backs being played as a Ball-playing defender, I don't like to use them within a Short passing system. They often give away possession cheaply due to them looking for a long, cross-field ball.

AML - Gervinho - This role has performed well throughout the season whoever's played there. From Yossi Benayoun's creativity, to Gervinho's pace and directness - it suits all types of players. Although, I tend to tweak it somewhat to whoever's playing there. For instance, when Gervinho plays there I tend to keep the Runs from Deep option at Always. This will provide a great attacking threat; his pace, movement and finishing is key to this working. When the more playmaking-type, like Yossi Benayoun, plays there, I tend to limit his Runs from Deep to Sometimes. This will keep him in between the opposition defence and attack. He becomes much more like an Inside Forward - Support.

AMR - Theo Walcott - I've outlined my reasons for this in my previous post to you, but I want him to play somewhat as a second striker, to burst into the space left by RVP dropping deep - the wide play option of Moves Into Channels seems to achieve this. It also emulates the way Walcott plays in reality too.

My fullbacks - I set them both up as Fullback - Support. I want them to get forward, but remain responsible and disciplined in defence. It seems to be working. They regularly get up and support our midfield and wide men, providing a great outlet. Often, my two fullback's accumulate upwards of 70+ passes in a single game. I use the default settings from many of the instructions: Runs from Deep, Cross Ball etc. all set to Sometimes. The only one I tend to change is the Long Shots instruction. I think it's obvious what I change that too. Also, don't give them too much Creative Freedom. Yes, you should allow them some freedom and room to work in, but increasing it to an unnatural level will only hinder your defensive set-up.

As for the centre-backs being played as a Ball-playing defender, I don't like to use them within a Short passing system. They often give away possession cheaply due to them looking for a long, cross-field ball.

Llew thanks once again. Do you make any changes to Van Persie. Would you be able to send me a screenshot. I was also thinking of buying a big striker like Drogba that can lead the line. Would you be able to let me know how to set them regards to Role and Duty

arsenal-header.jpg

Pre-Season

After our pre-season games which saw the only blip a 1-1 draw against Cottbus, we had a very good pre-season, culminating in a excellent 3-1 home win against a full strength AC Milan side.

In a fit of pique I decided to do something I don’t usually do and thats to go straight into the transfer market.After seeing Man Utd this, Man City that, Chelsea looking at spending ££££££££’s, I decided thats it why shouldn’t Arsenal have some of it. I know we have a good squad of players already but why shouldn’t we have a choice of the best players. So.......

Transfers

In came Leighton Baines from Everton with Marouane Chamakh going the other way on loan with the chance of a permanent move at the end of his loan.

Also Ezequiel Lavezzi, Edinson Cavani and Jan Vertonghen joined the club in time for the pre-season.

Along with Chamakh, Johan Djourou has gone to Leverkusen, Ju Young Park has gone for a while to the Italian sunshine with Inter Milan and both players are on loan with the options of permanent moves.

August

Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 0

Arsenal 2 - Song (17), Cavani (55)

Well what great way to start the season with a win over our north London neighbours on a glorious sunny afternoon.

It was a subdued game and nothing like the blood ‘n’ thunder you would expect in a north London derby.

Song opened the scoring with a stunning strike from 25yds on 17 minutes and we had to wait until 55 minutes for Cavani to open his account on his debut with a side footed effort from 2 yds.

Champions League Play-Off - 1st Leg

Arsenal 5 - Vertonghen (30, 40), Cavani (33), van Persie (82), Koscielny (85)

FC Zürich 0

A fairly easy game, which to be honest we expected, with both centre back scoring from corners with Cavani with his 2nd goal in as many games and RVP pitching in with our 4th. We cant get complacent in the 2nd leg, but if we perform as we did tonight then we should have another comprehensive win.

Premier League

Arsenal 5 - Cavani (32), van Persie (44, 55), Oxlade-Chamberlain (67), Vertonghen (85)

Blackburn Rovers 0

Thats two 5-0 scorelines on the trot, the fans are loving it. This was one of the best games I have seen us play we were magnificent, passing, tackling, build up it all came together. If we had taken our chance we could have had double figures.

Cavani on the scoresheet again with RVP helping himself to a brace with the ‘Ox’ and Vertonghen getting one apiece.

Next match is the return leg against FC Zurich.

Champions League Play-off - 2nd Leg

FC Zürich 1 (1) - Damjanovic (53)

Arsenal 5 (10) - van Persie (42), Cavani (45+3), Walcott (46, 59), Koscielny (85)

This is getting a bit of a habit, another great performance on a rainy night in Zurich which resulted in a greasy pitch

Cavani, RVP, and Koscielny again in the goals with Theo having a barnstormer of a game and bagging 2 goals deservedly so

Now its a wait till we find out our fate on Friday, on this performance the boys shouldn’t fear anyone....where have I heard that before?.

Champions League Group Draw

We have been drawn against:

SLB, Leverkusen and Apoel.

Other English clubs:

Man Utd, O. Lyonnaise, Trabzonspor and Olympiakos

Man City, AC Milan, Wisla and FCP

Chelsea, Valencia, Lille and Partizan

Premier League

Swansea City 1 - Crouch (58)

Arsenal 1 - Walcott (90+2)

A last gasp HEADED goal from Theo gave us a point at the Liberty Stadium. To be truthful Crouches goal was against the run of play and had a touch of luck about it, but they all count. We seemed a bit lackluster which was probably due to our midweek game in Switzerland.

Back to the Premiere League for our next game which is away to Wolves who believe it or not have 9pts from 3 games and are top of the league. Still I am confident we can get a result there.

Will let you know in the September update.

Archived