FM12 Arsenal Thread - Life after Cesc

llama3

What sort of tempo do you guys use?

Im starting a new season soon and using short passing 4231 with 41221 as backup and standard strategy.

But do you use the default width/tempo settings or up them to wide and quick all the time?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Header_Shirts.jpg

[/size][/i]Barclays Premier League

Arsenal 7 - Damião (10, 74, 75, 78), Cavani (23, 56), Oxlade-Chamberlain (28)

Chelsea 0 - David Luiz s/o (36)

We absolutely ripped Chelsea apart. We were awesome, every part of our game came together, I doubt Barcelona at their best would have beaten us. Damião got 4 including a four minute hat trick. He started the rot after ten minutes, leaving Luiz for dead before beating Cech from the edge of the area. Edinson Cavani got a rare headed goal, a diving headed goal for the record. Ramsey sent in a cross from the right to the far post and Cavani ghosted behind the Chelsea defence to dive full length to head home. 2-0. Five minutes later almost an identical goal this time Arteta being the provider and 'The Ox' diving full length at the far post to make it 3-0. David Luiz was sent of for a vicious tackle from behind on 'The Ox'. We had to wait eleven minutes after the break for Cavani's second and our fourth from the edge of the six yard box. On seventy-four minutes Damião turned and skinned Terry to lash home from outside the box. Almost straight from the kick off Arteta sent a through ball between 4 Chelsea defenders for Damião to latch onto and round an advancing Cech to slide it into an empty net. The last goal was the cream of the crop, Ramsey robbed Lampard in the centre circle played a one-two with Arteta then nutmegged Terry with a through ball and there was Damião to hammer home from 10 yards. Thats 10 goals in 2 games Chelsea have conceded as they lost 3-1 at Old Trafford in their last outing.

What formation are you using there RossoneriGunner, it looks like it worked a treat?

have a look at post #2858 a bit higher up on this very page

Cheers Falahk, BUT, if I remember I did use the aggressive team talk of Give the fans something to cheer about/monies worth, and I believe this really helped because all the players were really fired up. Also I do 'Tinker' with Strategy, Philosophy and will change formation if I think we need to.

Also Chelsea are a poor side in this save.

41 assists?!

I think he finished with around 45, and he scored another goal. He contributed just over 60 goals this season, was very happy with him! He struck up a very good partnership with Wallyson who scored 42 goals in all competitions this season. :)

Reports are coming in that a couple of big teams want to sign him. I really don't want to lose him as he is THE player in my team, nobody comes close.

llama I have been reading through your thread Some thoughts on how to set up a defence and decided to try some of your ideas. I changed my FB's to WB's and changed my CB's to Defend + Stopper/Cover, also I changed Arteta/Ramsey from AP/S to DLP/S which I tried once before when I first set this 4-2-2-2 formation up.

I haven't played many games with the new back 4 so will have to give it 6/8 matches to see how they play. The 1st game I played was Shakhtar away in the CL. I changed the defence to start the game and reverted to my system in the second and the first half was good 2nd half not so.

llama I have been reading through your thread Some thoughts on how to set up a defence and decided to try some of your ideas. I changed my FB's to WB's and changed my CB's to Defend + Stopper/Cover, also I changed Arteta/Ramsey from AP/S to DLP/S which I tried once before when I first set this 4-2-2-2 formation up.

I haven't played many games with the new back 4 so will have to give it 6/8 matches to see how they play. The 1st game I played was Shakhtar away in the CL. I changed the defence to start the game and reverted to my system in the second and the first half was good 2nd half not so.

i prefer to use 2 normal defenders if i am playing an aggressive pressing style - as the covering defender in that systems drops off too much and allows opponents space. Feel it is better in a more standard system to use stopper-cover. Has it worked with Szczesny going as a sweeper-keeper?

Have a question for some of the regulars here...and hope it won't sound too sacreligious :p

Thinking about setting up an Arsenal save and holidaying for the first season and taking over the club summer 2012. Want to set up future transfer for Podolski so he'll be arriving at the same time, but also considering a future outbound transfer for RVP to add a little more challenge (so it will probably be to one of the English clubs to have more impact). What would you consider to be a realistic fee to set for his transfer? (He's currently valued at £29 mill in the first season on my Swansea save having extended his contract until 2016)

Cheers

£30m for a player with one year left on his contract? If he does go this summer, I reckon it'll be for closer to £20-£25m.

nasri went for £24m with just a year left - van Persie has had a significantly better season, and still is young enough to represent value for money - £30m is spot on

Ok, so I've managed to break my traditional '3rd season syndrome' where I do well for 2 seasons only to really struggle in my 3rd season! After winning the league last season, I had high hopes for this season. And wow! After a poor start of 3 defeats in my first 5 games, I went on a massive run where I only lost 2 more games and drawing only 2! Spurs were a force to be reckoned with as well though and going into the last game of the season I had to better Spurs' result against newly-promoted Southampton (who were amazingly competing for a Europa spot!). I brushed aside Swansea with ease 3-0, and with 10 mins to go Spurs were 1-0 up! But then the amazing happens, the Saints score twice in 5 mins and take it 2-1! Champions! Also took the FA Cup with a quite incredible 7-1 win against Chelsea! And on to my crowning glory, the Champions League Final. Up against Barcelona I didn't hold out much hope, with Player Of The Year Eden Hazard injured and Wilshere out as well. But we raced into a 2-0 half time lead, and although they hit back, we went 3-1 up late on. Messi got a late consolation but we took it 3-2!! Amazing stuff!

I need a bit of advice about my strikers though. In April, Podolski came back from a month out, but a few days later he goes down with a 'serious viral infection' and is out for 7-8 months!!!! Now he was my second choice striker behind RVP (but I sometimes played them together with Poldi as an AML or RVP as AMR) and I have Wilfried who can play up front as well (slow first half to the season but now scores regularly). I've no bother with Wilfried being my 2nd choice for the first half of the season but I can't decide if I need to bring in a new 3rd choice. I have Tomas Necid but he wants to leave as I've not been playing him, and doesn't really score when he does play (The plan was to sell him, but that was before Podolski went down). Rotting in my reserves (spent last season on loan) is Burak Yilmaz, who again has never really been a successful signing. Moussa Keita (18 year old regen worth £4.6m) scored 23 goals for the Reserves last season but only has 15 mins of first team experience so I'm reluctant to make him 3rd choice for the first half of the new season. Man City tried to sign him in January though so there must be something to get excited about. Plus I also have Walcott and The Ox who can play striker but they've both had fantastic seasons so I'd rather keep them as my AML and AMR.

So, to buy or not to buy? And who would be a decent 3rd choice striker in the 4th season?

And what is the best way to play Wilfried as a lone striker with AML and AMR either side? I've been using Complete Forward but is there a better option?

Oh, and a few hours after thinking I could do with getting a quality DM to compete with Song, Barca offer me Busquets for £21m. Yes please! Sold! That'll spell the end of squad player Arteta though. Ah well! :p

had an eventful match against Man City here (4th match of 2nd season) - finished 4-4, bit of a modern classic! Went 1-0 down, 2-1 down, scored 2 in 3 minutes around the hour mark, before city equalised. City took the lead in the 90th minute but Chamakh powered in an equalised in the last minute of stoppage time to make it 4-4.

Hiya Guys

I have been playing my Barcelona game over the last few months and won everything in my first season, and without losing a game. I am into my second season and I am in September and my winning streak is continueing, however I wonder if call it day at Barcelona as I think I have taken them as far as I can. I have bought in Neymar, Kyle Walker, Rene Adler, Jose Angel and Thiago Silva so they are pretty well setup for the future. Now Arsenal finished 14th in the Premier League last season and Wenger was sacked half way through and Van Gaal was brought in. Arsenal are 14th after 6 games and he's job is now insecure I am wondering, should I move to Arsenal? Its very tempting :)

hi

Trying to sign a defensive midfielder , been trying to get m'vila but they want 38m!

If i can get someone like m'vila I can then rotate song and also have 2 dms when ttying to hold leads or away at big clubs.

I would say my budget is £20m

Any ideas?

cheers

Hi all, only recently bought FM12 and after playing around with it for a bit, am about to embark on my first proper save with the mighty gunners! Anyway, I'm trying to decide what to do with my midfield, and was wondering if anyone had a screenshot of a more developed Ramsey (say at between 23-26 years old) that they could post. This will help me decide whether to stick with him as a first choice MC or bring in someone more developed to play next to Arteta. Cheers in advance.

gunnermitch - There are a few, but the one I'd look at is Étienne Capoue of Toulouse. Assured on the ball, defensively very solid and is versatile.

thanks Llew , I also like the look of fernando reges from Porto FC , is he anygood?

Hi all, only recently bought FM12 and after playing around with it for a bit, am about to embark on my first proper save with the mighty gunners! Anyway, I'm trying to decide what to do with my midfield, and was wondering if anyone had a screenshot of a more developed Ramsey (say at between 23-26 years old) that they could post. This will help me decide whether to stick with him as a first choice MC or bring in someone more developed to play next to Arteta. Cheers in advance.

Providing you develop him well using good training schedules, I can assure you that Ramsey becomes top class - a fantastic deep-lying playmaker. I've yet to progress three or four season in at Arsenal, but on my previous save, he'd developed fantastically well within two years.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you want to give Aaron Ramsey time and space to develop, while no overplaying him, I'd bring in a new midfielder. But, you must give him a certain amount of first-team experience to enhance his progression as a player. One thing to think about: what about sending him on loan? If you do sign another midfielder to play alongside Arteta, I'd advise you to send Ramsey out on loan for at least one season.

Providing you develop him well using good training schedules, I can assure you that Ramsey becomes top class - a fantastic deep-lying playmaker. I've yet to progress three or four season in at Arsenal, but on my previous save, he'd developed fantastically well within two years.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you want to give Aaron Ramsey time and space to develop, while no overplaying him, I'd bring in a new midfielder. But, you must give him a certain amount of first-team experience to enhance his progression as a player. One thing to think about: what about sending him on loan? If you do sign another midfielder to play alongside Arteta, I'd advise you to send Ramsey out on loan for at least one season.

Cheers for that. I'm wanting him to become more of a box2box than a dlp I think. I'm not really too keen on loaning him out though as I'm sure I'll be able to give him enough games in a rotation role.

not much action here recently! i have had a slow start to the defence of my league title, in 8th place in mid-october, but close enough that i am still in touch. Had a few first team players come to me with concerns we are underachieving, so got to get a few more goals in now i think.

So what I can tell you from that info F0rmat - he has high determination (which you know), ambition is at least 10 or greater, pressure is >14, professionalism > 14, controversy <15 - seems a great character. His influence is incredible too!

So what I can tell you from that info F0rmat - he has high determination (which you know), ambition is at least 10 or greater, pressure is >14, professionalism > 14, controversy <15 - seems a great character. His influence is incredible too!

His determination came from Naingollan. They seem to get on really well and IMO should make a very good CM pairing in the coming years. Thanks for the info.

Currently 1 and a half seasons in, wom CL and league in first season, went out of both domestic cups very early, blasted youth team!

1st team squad consists of

Szczesny

Sagna

Koscielny

Vermaelen

Kolarov

Arteta

Song

Chamberlain

Arshavin

Walcott

Van Persie

Subs

Mannone

Jenkinson

Djourou

Ramsey

Wilshere

Gervinho

Podolski

About to bring in neymar and pastore for a total fee of 44 million to replace arshavin and gervinho/vela

Will need a new defender as well, injuries are never short and sweet :(

His determination came from Naingollan. They seem to get on really well and IMO should make a very good CM pairing in the coming years. Thanks for the info.

I've been looking at buying Naingollan myself. How's he been for you?

I've been looking at buying Naingollan myself. How's he been for you?

Fantastic. In the bigger games I play him at CM along with Song, allowing Radja to drive from deep. Given a little more freedom he'll get you goals, but he can perform adequately as a ball winner or more defensive CM.

Perfect all round CM, IMO.

xk6xT.png

April Update

I was going through April nicely when an unfortunate accident meant my computer broke meaning a long delay until I could return to my game. Which is the reason I have been away for so long.

Anyway on to the football

FA CUP QUARTER-FINAL REPLAY

Arsenal 3 – Cavani 12 Van Persie 37 Tevez 64

Chelsea 1 – Neymar 49

Having gone goalless at Stamford Bridge we faced Chelsea at the Emirates in an Fa cup replay for a place in the semi final. Annoyingly we had two big games on the horizon so it was with great difficulty selecting the team. I started Cavani and Van Persie deciding to see how the game pans out and take them off. Both scored in an excellent first half display and I gave Van Persie the last 35 minutes off swapping him for Tevez who then also scored and should’ve had three or four. I rested Schurrle meaning Miyaitchi got a start on the left and he assisted all three goals in a man of the match display.

PREMIER LEAGUE

Arsenal 4 – Van Persie 21 Tevez 64 Cavani 76pen 84pen

Tottenham 0 –

I stuck with the same strike force that did for Chelsea against Spurs. I took a gamble and rested Vermaelen while bringing back Schurrle. I planned to take off my big three of Schurrle Van Persie and Cavani with 25 to go to give them some breathing space before the trip to Munich. We started strongly and Van Persie consolidated the bright start by scoring after twenty minutes. He then had a header cleared off the line while we searched for a second to kill the game. Spurs got better as the half went on not helped by an injury to Modric. Second half though it was very different. Again I made the early changes and again up popped tevez off the bench to grab a crucial goal. Cavani who was still at 88% so had been kept on with wilshere taken off calmly converted two penalties to all but seal the title. 12 points the lead with 8 games left and a game in hand to boot.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER-FINAL 1ST LEG

Bayern Munich 0

Arsenal 3 – Van Persie 15pen Cavani 44 Schurrle 63

After two excellent results we travelled to Munich. At an outside bet I would’ve gladly taken a draw or even narrow defeat but never in my wildest dreams did I envisage what would happen. I set out defensively meaning a 4-5-1 with Van Persie playing on the right wing as Wilshere Ramsey and Mascherano marshalled the centre of midfield. A cagey start sprang into life when we were awarded a penalty. Van Persie took up his usual duties and tucked it away. After that we repelled the very little that Bayern offered and duly hit them on the break to grab a second. Schurrle then added a third in a pretty quiet second half to all but ensure qualification into the semi final.

champions league quarter-final 1st leg review

Madrid won comfortably 2-0 against Marseille, United won 3-2 in Germany against Dortmund surly meaning a semi final against us. Barca dispatched Spurs 3-0 in the Nou Camp.

PREMIER LEAGUE

West Brom 1 – Ivanschitz 83

Arsenal 2 – Miyaitchi 6 Tevez 10

Sandwiched inbetween the Bayern games we visited West Brom. As expected I made 9 changes with Adler and Cavani the only survivors of the famous win in Germany. It meant another start for Miyaitchi who had excelled in the Chelsea game, with three assists. He went one better here by opening the scoring after six minutes. Tevez then went and doubled the lead four later. After that though West Brom recovered and the rest of the half we were hanging on a bit. Second half we were a little better although West Brom pulled a goal back late on.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER-FINAL 2nd LEG

Arsenal 4 – Koscielny 2 Cavani 36 Van Persie 38pen Schurrle 45

Bayern Munich 0 - Chygrynskyi s/o 33

After the resounding win in Munich we were in confident mood ahead of the return. My concern was the yellow cards for Mascherano Sagna Vrsaljko Kosceilny Wilshere and Gibbs all meaning another would rule them out of the semi final first leg. All but Vrsaljko still started.

We got off to a flyer with Koscielny heafing home a Van persie corner. After that we continued to dominate but it was only after Bayern had Chygrynskyi sent off that the floodgates opened. Van Persie, Cavani and Schurrle scored to give us a 4-0 halftime lead and it was only down to Neuer who was forced to pull off a string of world class saves in a game where we had 34 shots to 3 that kept the score down.

The only blemishes were yellow cards for Gibbs and Mascherano ruling both out of the first leg of the semi final. On this form it won’t matter

champions league quarter-final 2nd leg review

Madrid won comfortably 2-0 against Marseille, United Completed their win over Dortmund with a 2-0 victory at Old Trafford and would now await in the semi final. Meanwhile Spurs recorded an excellent 4-2 win against Barca but still went out 5-4 on aggregate. Barca would meet Madrid who scraped through after a 3-2 defeat in france against the unlucky Marseille.

champions league revised semi final draw

Arsenal vs Manchester United

Real Madrid vs Barcelona

FA CUP SEMI-FINAL (Wembley)

Wolves 0-0

Arsenal 0-1 – Van Persie 114

We faced Wolves at Wembley in the Fa Cup Semi-Final. Last time we met them there the score was 7-0! This time as perhaps expected it was much tighter. I brought in Mascherano for his first Fa Cup appearance of the season while I planned on bringing Schurrle and Cavani off the bench. The first half was pretty close with us shading possession and chances but with no end product. We were pretty much the same in the second with Wilshere and Van Persie going close but couldn’t find the goal even after the introduction of Cavani and Schurrle meaning the game went into extra-time.

The first half of it was completely dominated by Wolves although they only forced half chances which didn’t trouble Adler. Second half was better with Wilshere again going close but the clock was ticking and we needed something magical from somewhere to not go to a shootout. Step forward Robin Van Persie who lashed a 30-yard shot on the turn off the underside of the bar with 6 minutes left.

Fa Cup Final draw

Arsenal vs Tottenham

We would face spurs in the final after a leandro master class saw them beat Reading 3-0

PREMIER LEAGUE

Sunderland 2 – Sow 8 Affelay 21 Sow miss/pen 90!!

Arsenal 2 – Tevez 29 Lavezzi 54

We faced a testing week with a Premier League game against City followed by the Champions League semi final first leg at the Emirates vs United. Firstly though we headed north east to play Sunderland. I was missing Schurrle who had got a thigh strain but should return for the United game. I rested quite a few players including Van Persie to keep them fresh focusing more on the two games to come and not the impending unbeaten season.

It showed as Sunderland started well and before we knew it we were 2-0 down. We rallied and Tevez pulled a goal back but we couldn’t get it back to equal terms before half-time. Second half we came out all guns blazing and had chance after chance with Craig Gordon in superb form and a couple of players namely Ramsey guilty of missing glaring opportunities. Lavezzi did score but as the clock ticked on we were looking increasingly unlikely to get that breakthrough even with the introduction of Van Persie and Ghidini off the bench. Then disaster struck when 4 minutes into the 3 allocated for stoppage time ramsey gave away a needless penalty meaning we were one kick from our first loss of the season. However in echoes of Van Nistelrooy vs Lehmann Moussa Sow who had earlier scored, saw his kick saved by Adler and there was no time to pounce on the rebound as the referee blew for fulltime. Phew!

PREMIER LEAGUE

Arsenal 3 – Cavani 7 66 Miyaitchi 27

Man City 0

Before the first leg of the Semi Final vs United we faced their noisy neighbours at the Emirates. I took the bold decision of starting Cavani, Van Persie and Wilshere from the start and not resting them for the united game. It worked well with Cavani firing us into a seventh minute lead. Miyaitchi who will have to surrender his place on the Tuesday then doubled the lead as we looked to run riot against a very flat City perhaps not used to donning their navy away kit. Still the game slowed down and we got to half time largly untroubled. Second half they couldn’t even muster a single shot as we added another fine goal through Cavani and that was that.

Title wrapped up with 5 games to go.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI-FINAL 1ST LEG

Arsenal 2 – Jones o.g 37 Koscielny 71

Manchester United 1 – Ayew 5

There was a big boost before kick off when I realised Wayne Rooney would be suspended. Schurrle did return but at 71% and not in full training I opted to start Miyaitchi ahead of him so he was on the bench ready to make an impression if needed. In the absence of Rooney United still went very attacking with a front three of Hernandez Berbatov and Ruiz. My main concerns were like Bayern the yellow cards and with the first leg at home not to concede. We failed in both as Sagna picked up a booking meaning he would miss the return leg. United started strongly and took the lead after just five minutes through Ayew. We were very flat and offered next to nothing. What we needed was a big slice of luck and that’s exactly what we got as a Vermaelen header glanced off Phil Jones and into the United net. Second half after a stern talking to we were much improved and Koscielny gave us the lead in the tie. It will be a nervy affair in Manchester but having already won 3-0 there this season I go with confidence.

champions league semi-final 1st leg review

An early Ronaldo penalty gave Madrid a narrow 1-0 win at the Bernabeu. Fellaini was sent off for Madrid a few moments later and Barca had wave after wave of attack with 6 times the shots of Madrid (4/26) and 71% possession but couldn’t score. I still expect to face them in the final though.

TOP SCORERS (all comps)

Cavani – 39

Van Persie - 23

Schurrle - 17

Walcott - 15

Tevez – 13

Chamberlain – 9

Koscielny – 9

Wilshere – 8

Ramsey - 6

Ghidini – 5

Vermaelen – 5

Lavezzi - 5

TOP ASSISTS (all comps)

Van Persie - 30

Schurrle – 19

Chamberlain - 13

Tevez - 13

Cavani - 12

Wilshere – 12

Ramsey – 12

TOP MOM’S (all comps)

Cavani - 9

Van Persie - 9

Schurrle - 6

Koscielny - 5

Walcott – 5

Ramsey – 3

Chamberlain – 3

Sagna - 3

AVERAGE RATINGS (all comps minimum 5 games)

Robin Van Persie – 7.70

Andre Schurrle – 7.69

Edison Cavani – 7.61

Laurent Koscielny – 7.47

Bacary Sagna – 7.46

LEAGUE TABLE

5 to go. United need to look over their shoulder.

1. Arsenal played 33 points 89

2. Man City played 34 points 73

3. Tottenham played 34 points 72

4. Man United played 34 points 66

5. Chelsea played 32 points 58

--------------------------------

9. Liverpool played 34 points 48

GAME OF THE MONTH

Everton were involved in two cracking games in April. Firstly they drew 3-3 at Stoke in a very topsy-turvy game. However I will give it to the other match where Chelsea came from 2-0 down after 23 minutes to get a draw. Both sides had over 20 shots in a very open game

EVERTON 2-2 CHELSEA

Uche 5 Welbeck 23 /-/ Ivanovic 59 Mbia 80

Shots - 22 - 24

On Ta - 12 - 9

Poss - 52 - 48

PLAYER OF THE MONTH– Kieran Gibbs

Van Persie got the goals and assists Cavani also chipped in with 7 of his own while Koscielny was superb once more but I’m going to give it to a more unsung hero. Kieran Gibbs has been fantastic and his sheer consistency has been remarkable.

NS

NS

NS

S

STAT OF THE MONTH – The big 5

May sees us play four of the big five with just City being left out. It got me thinking about our records in my four years in charge. Quite impressive I think.

An amazing stat that we have never lost to Spurs Chelsea or Man City.

Vs Manchester United

Played 12

Won 7

Drawn 3

Lost 2

Vs Liverpool

Played 10

Won 5

Drawn 3

Lost 2

Vs Tottenham

Played 9

Won 7

Drawn 2

Lost 0

Chelsea

Played 14

Won 8

Drawn 6

Lost 0

Manchester City

Played 13

Won 9

Drawn 4

Lost 0

May Preview

If April was a big month god only knows what you would call May. A champions League semi-final in the balance, an FA Cup final against the enemy and of course the small matter of being five games away from an unbeaten season.

Pl - Wigan (h)

Pl - Liverpool (a)

Pl - Fulham (h)

Pl - Chelsea (a)

Pl - Leeds (a)

Obviously Liverpool and Chelsea are the big away games and hurdles to jump in order to complete the unbeaten season. We play Chelsea just two days after Fulham and Liverpool 3 days after United.

KingLara, are you playing RVP at AMR, and if so, how we'll does he play?

No i play him upfront (not a fan of playing players out of position) as an advanced forward attack with Cavani as target man support. Then have two advanced wingers

Ok I must have misread your post. Any chance of you posting a picture of your squad and formation? I'd be keen to have a look as I'm planning something a bit similar at the moment. Cheers.

Having thought I wasn't going to contribute much to this forum, the most recent game I started with a new data update (some players around the world improved or decreased, some future transfers in place, including podolski & some future players leaving on frees ensured in the editor - not much change to Arsenal except a decrease to Chamakh and Park, a very slight decrease for Gervinho, a 5 point CA increase for Rosicky, a 5 point CA & PA increase for Koscielny, and increased PA for Ryo & Afobe, and the addition of Jack Jebb and a couple of other 15 year olds as -7s and -8s). I also put Thierry Henry back on loan until end of Feb.

The reason I am posting, is that I have just had the most ridiculously successful first season I have ever had on this game. Having signed a lot of kids (butland, sanogo, crisetig and a few less obvious ones like tyler blackett, Adorjan, curtis nelson etc), My first team squad signings were:

Craig Dawson - West Brom 1.4m -u21 - Decent cover at centre half, home grown, and an eye for goal. 19 games in all competitions - mostly cups and easier league games at home

Sime Vrsaljko - Dinamo 1.2m - u21 Great cover at full back who can fill in a few roles. 16 games all comps - mostly cup, but a good run in the league when sagna was out for a month.

Isaac Cuenca - Barca 1.8m - u21 Good cover on the wings, better than barca rate him in the game and a player we are pursuing in real life. Also I saw him when I was in Barcelona last year and I really liked the look of him. 8 games, 7 goals and 2 assists - mostly cups and playing the likes of Milwall etc helped.

Leon Britton - 800k - bargain cover for Song and maybe Arteta, and counts as home grown. My lack of injuries and a preference for playing le coq in easy fixtures meant he only played 6 times but got 3 assists. Great mental stats.

Remy Caballa - Montpellier - 900k u21 at start. After his breakthrough season in real life I thought I'd take a punt on him, especially with Jack out for so long. 10 games 5 assists. Tidy, but may not have a real future at the club

Ze Roberto - Free. Old but still good, and provided valuable experience to allow squad rotation, keeping Arteta fit. 12 games and 7 assists, all in the cup because i forgot to register him for the league!

In january I picked up Juan Iturbe for 3.4m although not ready for the first team because at 18 he will become homegrown. Also:

Ibrahim afellay. Inspired by real life rumours and his friendship with RVP, I picked him up for 5.25m from Barca. He played mostly as a sub as I nursed him back to fitness, but came on in most games, again to keep others fit. 1 start, 21 sub apperances, 1 goal and 3 assists. Underwhelming but flexibility is useful

Junior Hoilett 1.6m after he refused to sign a new contract and then put in a transfer request. - u21 at start, home-grown, good cover across the front line. 8 games 2 goals, 2 assists.

Nothing too expensive. But we still won the quadruple. Undefeated in the league. With a STUPID amount of goals. Screenies:

Check out the stupid goal difference.

englishpremierdivisionolf.th.png

Fa Cup

arsenalvliverpoolinform.th.png

League Cup

arsenalvevertoninformat.th.png

ECL - Leverkusen somehow beat Barca - which was great for me!

arsenalvleverkuseninfor.th.png

arsenalvfulhaminformati.th.png

Most of the team's success was down to:

robinvanpersiehistoryca.th.png

mikelartetaoverviewattr.th.png

But they were ably supported from everywhere, with Walcott & Gervinho with 30+ goals and 30+ assists between them. Thierry Henry grabbed 11 goals during his cameo loan spell, and even Andre Santos got 8 goals from full back. All the midfielders chipped in with 5 here and there and Chamakh weighed in with a remarkable 20 goals - particularly loved the cups, and Park had 16 in all competitions.

I have absolutely no idea why it went so well! My tactics were not massively dissimilar to normal (though i always tend to do well), and I was lucky with injuries when it came to the key players, but they started the season with a 4-1 win vs Spurs and just never looked back. Unlike the real Arsenal side though, when they were 2 up against a lower team, this lot really went for it, and 4 & 5 goal victories against Newcastle were indicative of the team. And as the stats show, RVP was beyond brilliant. Never had so many hat-tricks in a season.

The challenge is how to keep up an even remotely comparable level of success, whilst sorting out the imbalance of home-grown players. And obviously reflecting reality by flogging Chamakh, Park, Squill etc despite the relative success of the first two, and picking up Giroud

Archived