Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

I don't think Suarez and Torres are that good of a match really. Both are individualist number 9s. I wanna believe Suarez could do a job in the hole, but a) I don't think he wants to play there. b) I just don't think his passing is consistent enough. I think to get the best out of both of them you need a really talented number 10, a Gerrard, in behind them or alongside them. There's only room for one out-and-out striker in the team when Torres plays. I think the same rings true for most modern strikers which is why 4-4-2 has been moved away from.

I disagree that Suarez is a number 9. He's not a natural finisher. He scores great goals but not often enough. He got bullied at OT up front on his own. I think he would be better playing off someone with decent movement. Look in the Uruguay team, he has Forlan, Cavani etc as more out and out strikers.

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

really enjoyed that, made up carroll and suarez scored an i reckon stevie should get his back cos it was going in, i wouldnt mind seeing that starting line up next week except bellamy in for hendo.

shows what we can do when teams open up at anfield and have a go and probably shows why no-one ever does.

He wasn't pulling up daisies for Spain recently either tbh

He rarely plays well for Spain having to share number 9 time with Villa. Look at his goal scoring record. Average. His best performances were when Villa was injured Euro 2008 and he played as the lone man and tormented Germany in the final.

I disagree that Suarez is a number 9. He's not a natural finisher. He scores great goals but not often enough. He got bullied at OT up front on his own. I think he would be better playing off someone with decent movement. Look in the Uruguay team, he has Forlan, Cavani etc as more out and out strikers.

Agree he's too instinctive and not composed enough as a finisher but he definitely wants to play as the number 9. From what I saw in the Copa America he was generally more advanced than Forlan and today (and other days for us) it was Carroll dropping into midfield to get involved, not him. Positionally he's always looking to run the channels and has quite a similar play style to Torres. Loves turning and trying to weave in and out of challenges when he knows there's space to get a shot away.

pity carroll couldn't get a decent first touch when Suarez made that interception high up the pitch, but otherwise I thought they worked well together, and Carroll was really great. Still needs to be more deadly in the box but just offering so much whenever he drops a bit deeper and just constantly pestering the CBs. Hopefully keeps it up and keeps on improving.

I think Adam needs to have a look at himself for our first goal. Looked to me when I saw it that Henderson was forced into the challenge because Adam was too lazy to track back. Don't mind him as a player just his laziness really angers me.

Poor tackle by Henderson mind.

Archived