LAUREN's Arsenal Thread 2011/2012 - 125 Years of Greatness *sponsored by being BRILLIANT*

goon

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More of what we need: Mike Jones, the official that ref'd us on yesterday, has said that he saw the clash between Van Persie and Cuellar, therefore no further action will be taken by the FA disciplinary board.

Didn't see the elbow. Was there anything in it or just McLeish moaning?

Didn't see the elbow. Was there anything in it or just McLeish moaning?

As much as I hate to admit it, it did look intentional to a certain extent.

He had two looks to gauge where Cuellar was, went in with his forearm and caught Cuellar. It looked like Mike Jones was going to penalise him for it, but dismissed it. Happy that he did though :D

We're being heavily linked with Heracles striker, Samuel Armenteros. Scored 13 goals in 57 Eredivisie games for Heracles.

I'm sure that, if we do sign him, this will enrage Sy...

That guy's been absolutely killing me in my current FM game. I now dread playing against Nancy.

No clue if he's any good in the real world!

I agree that we have no where near the financial resources as teams like Manchester City, but it doesn't mean we can't sign established payers, like your Lukas Podolski's for example, for little over £10 million. Obviously, the tight wage structure would offer little room to negotiate deals which players initially demand, but with the amount of 'deadwood' who receive a large fund of our wage budget it's always going to cripple our chances of signing players. I feel it's essential that was rid of these players who are surplus to requirements.

I've tended not to believe that argument for the past season or so because, as you all know I am an optimist, but I'm getting a bit disgruntled with direction the club seems to be heading to at the moment. ** This certainly does not mean that I support the statement 'Arsène OUT' before anybody tries to twist my words. Wenger is the manager to guide us from this tough period, in my opinion.

I agree that we have no where near the financial resources as teams like Manchester City, but it doesn't mean we can't sign established payers, like your Lukas Podolski's for example, for little over £10 million. Obviously, the tight wage structure would offer little room to negotiate deals which players initially demand, but with the amount of 'deadwood' who receive a large fund of our wage budget it's always going to cripple our chances of signing players. I feel it's essential that was rid of these players who are surplus to requirements.

I've tended not to believe that argument for the past season or so because, as you all know I am an optimist, but I'm getting a bit disgruntled with direction the club seems to be heading to at the moment. ** This certainly does not mean that I support the statement 'Arsène OUT' before anybody tries to twist my words. Wenger is the manager to guide us from this tough period, in my opinion.

Yeah, on paper seeing Newcastle snap up the likes of Cabaye and Cissé is quite frustrating because they could be well within our sights. But then would you take Arteta or Cabaye? Cabaye is excellent, but I'd go for Arteta every single time. And we don't know anything about Cissé yet. You can look at things any two ways for sure.

I'm not going to mention Ba because if we did sign him last summer, that knee would have long gone by now :D

We are about creating star players for barcelona and man city to take off, gazidis needs to get a grip and stop bull ******** himself and the fans. Go out there and buy the players that our resources allow because that is what being a football club is about!

Gazidis is nothing more than a politician brought in to maximise profits. It's no coincidence that since Dein left AW has been under no pressure to improve the squad and win things. However, Wenger does himself no favours with the constant crap he comes out with in press conferences etc. The whole club has gone stale.

That is the way we've always been under Wenger. We have never signed established stars - but it doesn't mean we don't sign senior players, just not the ones who are already stars and therefore coveted by the super rich. I don't see what the problem is with that.

The difference between now and pre-2005 is that we have seen the rise of the super-rich. This has not only changed the game at the super star level of the market where we've never shopped but also in the next level down where we have. The likes of Man City and Chelsea can afford to fill their entire squads with players that we might otherwise have been able to sign and stick them in the reserves. A decade ago even Man Utd couldn't afford to do that. It's possible that in today's climate, the likes of Pires, Overmars, Ljungberg, Henry and Vieira would be snapped up by the super rich and stuck in their squads with few opportunities to realise their potential.

So anyway, Gazidis didn't say we don't sign established players; he said we don't sign stars and what he means is, we can't afford to blow £30m+ on one player. Unlike some I don't see the problem with making that point.

Have you seen the article on Gazidis??

He has told us to judge Arsenal in May for the 4th year on the trot and apparently City should be jealous of us this season!

I hate him. Hate.

Look at Man U, a club living within its means. Yes they are in debt but still announced record profits and won the league. Again.

I haven't read the full article yet no. I was responding to the specific point.

I hope you'll understand that I'm not going to trust your interpretation of what he's said (especially as you have admitted you hate him - it's hardly the basis for a balanced viewpoint), but will read it for myself later.

Look at Man U, a club living within its means. Yes they are in debt but still announced record profits and won the league. Again.

And yet they don't sign star players either, and there's huge disgruntlement among many of their fans because of it. The difference is that they've found a way to still be successful without it. I don't think we need to spend 30m+ on individual players; other clubs have shown that there are plenty of excellent players in the 10-20m bracket. It would be nice if Wenger bought some of them. And it would also be nice if Utd would stop pinching all the young English defenders that we try and buy!

Have you seen the article on Gazidis??

He has told us to judge Arsenal in May for the 4th year on the trot and apparently City should be jealous of us this season!

I hate him. Hate.

Might have something to do with them having a vastly superior income to us? Their turnover is over £100m more than us ffs.

Headline of El Mundo Deportivo (FC Barcelona's newspaper) is this, this morning:

428685_10150628627460763_55164645762_11706803_1404800397_n.jpg

Apparently Van Persie is "Crazy for Barcelona" and dreams of playing alongside his friend Cesc. It mentions how his contract runs out in 2013 and how he wants us to let him go early. There's an entire article you can read here if you want some morning frustration.

ANYWAY. We're not going to lose him today and you never know we might even sign somebody! Fingers crossed!

Might have something to do with them having a vastly superior income to us? Their turnover is over £100m more than us ffs.

I think we established conclusively last week that his grasp on economics is limited to say the least.

Meh. I wouldn't believe Spanish sports papers.

I don't think RvP will sign a new contract but I'm not that bothered about it to be honest. As fantastic as he is at the moment he'll be 29 in the summer with one of the worst injury records in football. He'll have two - maybe three more years at his peak? Unless someone offered stupid money this summer or he demanded to leave I'd be inclined to let his contract run down. We'd need to find a long-term replacement for him soonish anyway. It isn't the same as the Nasri situation.

Yeah I am also not bothered about us losing our best striker since Thierry Henry. I cannot wait for Wenger to replace him with Park and Chamakh next season, he might even give Theo Walcott a run up front to show us how unsuited for that position he really is.

This reminds me of when people said that they weren't bothered if Cesc left. That worked out well for us, didn't it?

Yeah because I always believe what I read in the Spanish press.

I'm not saying I believe it, of course not. But it's well worth a look when the same paper that was at the forefront of the Cesc saga for two years puts a big picture of RvP on the front page.

Yeah I am also not bothered about us losing our best striker since Thierry Henry. I cannot wait for Wenger to replace him with Park and Chamakh next season, he might even give Theo Walcott a run up front to show us how unsuited for that position he really is.

This reminds me of when people said that they weren't bothered if Cesc left. That worked out well for us, didn't it?

The situations aren't comparable. Fabregas was 24. RVP is not. I definitely wasn't sanguine when Cesc left, although part of me was pleased for him because it obviously meant so much to him.

If Van Persie can carry on playing at this level for the next four-five years without missing a load of games through injury then I will have been wrong. But let's be honest, it's not particularly likely, is it?

Anyway, if Wenger replaces him with Park and Chamakh I will most definitely be raging! ;)

I'm not saying I believe it, of course not. But it's well worth a look when the same paper that was at the forefront of the Cesc saga for two years puts a big picture of RvP on the front page.

It kind of reminds me of that joke about how there's going to be severe winter this year as the Indians have been gathering wood in preparation for 4 years now.

However, Cesc's departure (as severe winters) was inevitable, while van Persie's isn't. Still atm it looks like the club will be forced to repeat Nasri situation in the summer.

You talk about him being 29 like it's old. RvP's game is not based around pace and strength. He could easily be a top player for us until he's 34/35.

If we lose him in the summer, we will not replace him with another top player, meaning that it will be a very long time indeed before we see CL football again.

You talk about him being 29 like it's old. RvP's game is not based around pace and strength. He could easily be a top player for us until he's 34/35.

If we lose him in the summer, we will not replace him with another top player, meaning that it will be a very long time indeed before we see CL football again.

It's his body breaking down that I'm expecting more.

Even though it hasn't broken down for well over a year?

Yes. I only have a basic understanding of medicine but surely the frequency and severity of his injuries suggest some sort of structural weakness - that his body can't cope with the stress it's put under? I remember we tried all sorts of things to address it, from horse placenta to dental work, so maybe something worked and it's fixed. But my heart sinks whenever I see him clutching his leg or going down under a challenge and I imagine it's the same for every other Arsenal fan!

It kind of reminds me of that joke about how there's going to be severe winter this year as the Indians have been gathering wood in preparation for 4 years now.

However, Cesc's departure (as severe winters) was inevitable, while van Persie's isn't. Still atm it looks like the club will be forced to repeat Nasri situation in the summer.

It's already happened, he's gone :(

Archived