Come now SI, please enlighten me on why this is happening?

Ok then, when did I say 90 percent of my goals came from set-pieces, whatever your username was.

I guess you're too angry to scroll up a couple of posts to actually look at someone's username?

No, thanks to a ****ing joke of a 3-2 loss against leicester where ****ing 2 of their goals were from corners and the other a free kick were smallish Stephen McGinn scored, I'm now 4th. DOES THIS GAME GET ANY MUCH MORE OF A FAIL, I FEEL AS IF I'M GOING TO RAGE QUIT.

Well then rage quit. Come back to the game in a couple more days once you've calmed down a little and can take some time to look at your setup rationally and make changes to it.

Jordi Gomez, just checked him up again, 23 games + 7 sub appearences, 1 goal(a difflected free-kick) and 0 assists.

Creativity 18, passing and technique 16, AMC, natural position, speaks English, Trequartista, has all the stats needede, through balls often, fast strikers who like to beat offside trap.

WTF is wrong with this silly game, beyond me. Aliens would make a better job.

The problem seems to be that marking on set pieces is turned off altogether. Whether it is a throw-in, free-kick or corner, all your defenders just stand there braindead. Most goals begin with a set piece which tears the defensive positioning apart. Most of my conceded goals from corners is caused by their guy attacking the far post has only one man marking him, and that guy is either my smallest, weakest player and of course loses the header, or he doesn't pay attention if he is a big stopper.

There are many more proiblems with the ME and programming as a whole in this game, and it all became worse with 11.3. I won't bother ranting about it here, though. I am considering writing an exhaustive piece on FM11.3 - the worst FM in history - but I don't think it is worth it.

The problem seems to be that marking on set pieces is turned off altogether. Whether it is a throw-in, free-kick or corner, all your defenders just stand there braindead. Most goals begin with a set piece which tears the defensive positioning apart. Most of my conceded goals from corners is caused by their guy attacking the far post has only one man marking him, and that guy is either my smallest, weakest player and of course loses the header, or he doesn't pay attention if he is a big stopper.

There are many more proiblems with the ME and programming as a whole in this game, and it all became worse with 11.3. I won't bother ranting about it here, though. I am considering writing an exhaustive piece on FM11.3 - the worst FM in history - but I don't think it is worth it.

Having 6 defenders vs 6 attackers marking 1v1 of course is going to lead to goals. Why would the ME expect the defending player to have some advantage. So if close to half of all corners are leading to headers being won by the attacker...probably half of these are going on target and half of those probably beating the keeper. So close to 1 out of 8 corners leading to goals.

By removing the players standing on the far post i have one free man in the middle who doesn't have to be "braindead" because he's confused about what the man he's marking is doing. He can attack the ball moving forward or to his left and cover if one of the players by the penalty spot loses his marker or can drift back if the corner goes deep to make it a 2v1 on the far post.

sevillavbarcelonatvview.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

****ing conceded 1 corner vs doncaster, and they fuycking well scored from it.

Out of the 35 ive conceded, i think 27 have come from corners, and now im in 7th and ive been ****ing sacked, well done fm on wasting ****ing hours of my life and i get sacked with 8 games to go, theres something wrong with the guy who let this happen, something very wrong.

Out of the 35 ive conceded, i think 27 have come from corners, and now im in 7th and ive been ****ing sacked, well done fm on wasting ****ing hours of my life and i get sacked with 8 games to go, theres something wrong with the guy who let this happen, something very wrong.

Well, I did advise you to take a break. In all seriousness, blaming SI because things aren't going your way (even when the complaint is legitimate) is not a constructive use of anyone's time.

Having 6 defenders vs 6 attackers marking 1v1 of course is going to lead to goals. Why would the ME expect the defending player to have some advantage. So if close to half of all corners are leading to headers being won by the attacker...probably half of these are going on target and half of those probably beating the keeper. So close to 1 out of 8 corners leading to goals.

By removing the players standing on the far post i have one free man in the middle who doesn't have to be "braindead" because he's confused about what the man he's marking is doing. He can attack the ball moving forward or to his left and cover if one of the players by the penalty spot loses his marker or can drift back if the corner goes deep to make it a 2v1 on the far post.

sevillavbarcelonatvview.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have all my players back on corners. I have even tried to have all players mark tall player, only one mark tall player, none marking tall player, a default setup, all man mark... I have tried everything, but no matter what I do, there is still only one player marking the guy who they aim for.

Guest aaron70

Do you not think it's strange that the majority of people do not have this problem? I mean do you really actually think you're set up is not to blame at all.

I will agree with the frustration of strikers missing easy goals but that has been explained to some extent.

Maybe you should play FM10 instead. Better game TBH.

im pretty sure you are just an abysmal manager

Do you not think it's strange that the majority of people do not have this problem? I mean do you really actually think you're set up is not to blame at all.

I will agree with the frustration of strikers missing easy goals but that has been explained to some extent.

Maybe you should play FM10 instead. Better game TBH.

No it is not my setup that is at fault. Lack of options on defensive set pieces is at fault. If they have Llorente up there on corners I want 3-4 players marking him, not one and not the wrong player. And by my experience, the "majority" does have this problem. Defensive set pieces is a major problem in the game as a whole.

I find this a huge issue - and what the stats don't show you is how many corners and set pieces result in a header on goal that doesn't score. I've tried a number of different logical set-ups, set my match preparation to "defensive positioning", but it doesn't seem to help. The players will go and stand next to a man when the corner is to be taken, and they'll be in the right spot, but then they won't react to the player they are marking making a run. The one I concede the most off is an inswinging corner, basically to the goal line. The keeper doesn't come out, no one marks a run and it's headed in from a yard out.

Of course I score an absolute truckload from set pieces too, and I've never touched the default settings in that regard.

No it is not my setup that is at fault. Lack of options on defensive set pieces is at fault. If they have Llorente up there on corners I want 3-4 players marking him, not one and not the wrong player. And by my experience, the "majority" does have this problem. Defensive set pieces is a major problem in the game as a whole.

This sentence doesn't make a huge amount of sense. Either you are suggesting that you are the majority of players, or that the majority of players have expressed that they have a problem with this directly to you (there were over 690k copies sold by the end of february - the majority would mean you'd heard from at least half of them)

It isn't a glitch. Chances are your team just aren't set up, tactically or in terms of attributes, to be any good in the air defensively. The fact you saw the problem as being one of height says it all really.

You want someone sacked... Someone to lose their job, their livelihood... but won't upload a game "if it takes too long" because you are "not that sad"?

Zip your save game file up and throw it on rapidshare or something. Let us actually look at how you conceded those goals, at your tactics, training and players, and at the game as a whole. That way someone can tell you exactly why your are conceding. It probably isn't a glitch from SI though or it'd be more widespread a problem.

I find this a huge issue - and what the stats don't show you is how many corners and set pieces result in a header on goal that doesn't score. I've tried a number of different logical set-ups, set my match preparation to "defensive positioning", but it doesn't seem to help. The players will go and stand next to a man when the corner is to be taken, and they'll be in the right spot, but then they won't react to the player they are marking making a run. The one I concede the most off is an inswinging corner, basically to the goal line. The keeper doesn't come out, no one marks a run and it's headed in from a yard out.

Of course I score an absolute truckload from set pieces too, and I've never touched the default settings in that regard.

Defensive positioning is to do with open play. What you need is to focus on defending set pieces in the pre-game.

That and look at your players attributes. How is their anticipation, concentration, strength and balance? And of course Decisions, but decisions is always important.

This sentence doesn't make a huge amount of sense. Either you are suggesting that you are the majority of players, or that the majority of players have expressed that they have a problem with this directly to you (there were over 690k copies sold by the end of february - the majority would mean you'd heard from at least half of them)

Strange, coming from someone who said that you'd heard personally from 345000 players just a few posts ago. I was answering your ridiculous and erroneous statement very directly and with the same certainty that I am right. Nothing more nothing less.

I have read a lot of posts on here now, and I have yet to see anyone but you and a handful of others actually daring to imply that defensive set pieces is just fine in this game. The assumption that it is a player error comes first with you, but if you have played this game as many ours as I have I find it curious that you haven't observed how bad defending is in 11.3. Not because of any tactical adjustment but because players don't mark, and because there is as a result a need to mark specific players on set pieces but this feature is not included.

It isn't a glitch.

Yes it is.

Defenders score far too many goals in FM 2011 on the default setting.

Its as if SI is trying to balance things on top of other balances. Perhaps its time for a rewrite of the game code from the bottom up.

Yes it is.

Defenders score far too many goals in FM 2011 on the default setting.

Its as if SI is trying to balance things on top of other balances. Perhaps its time for a rewrite of the game code from the bottom up.

If defenders score too many goals on the whole it's a match engine balancing problem, not a glitch. A glitch would be if two players challenging a keeper resulted in one being free in the middle unmarked unless explicitly man-marked or something.

Even then, I haven't seen a post from you analysing CB goals both in FM (not just in your own team but across the league) and in real life. Throw up such a thing and fine, there's a balancing problem. Until then maybe you just have centerbacks that are suited to goalscoring. I remember Thomas Vermaelen being Arsenal's top scorer 8 or 9 games into his first season, so...

As for reprograming the game from the ground up, or even the match engine from the groun dup, that'd mean throwing out years of work needlessly. Then re-implementing years of work, lots of it redundant.

Even with double the team they have now working on the match engine we'd be in for a fair wait until it even approached the current one, let alone turned out better. It isn't something they could knock up over a year.

OP, you seem very angry.

If you think it's such a silly game, such a fail, as you put it, why do you continue to play it?

You don't have to, you know.

One set of tactics is not just going to work. Players need time to adapt to something. If you change every week they're just going to get confused.

Playing as Cardiff, fine defenders so it's nothing to do with my team.

Games played: 28(league only)

Goals Conceded: 27

GOALS CONCEDED FROM CORNERS: 18 AND COUNTING, WHYYYYY

I'VE CHANGED TO NEARLY EVERY TYPE OF DEFENDING CORNERS, IN MATCH PREP I'M ALWAYS ON DEFENDING SET PIECES VERY HIGH, IT'S ****ING ME OFF, THIS SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER BE ALLOWED.

If anyone could reccomend another formula which I've probably tried but I'll try again, zonal/man who on who etc blah blah bkah I'd much appreciate it.

11.3 PATCH

Sort it out. And sack the guy who let this happen :/

Simple, your First Team is crap at set plays .

Get your players to train set plays and defence during the week, not just in Match Preperation.

I already do that on workload High/Very high as I've mentioned!

If your match prep is set at high / very high defending set-pieces would that not be taking players away from their normal duties such as finishing - hence, your strikers missing 1-on-1's? Just a thought.

Yeah but long shots is already on rarely, Earnshaw missed 5 one-on-ones a game ffs, so does Bellamy and so does Chopra, has anyone ever seen these 3 play in real life, granted they miss a few but none of them pass the ball to their keeper on a one on one????

Now you know what it would be like watching Nottm Forest week in week out!

Defensive positioning is to do with open play. What you need is to focus on defending set pieces in the pre-game.

Actually I wrote the wrong thing, I meant "defending set pieces".

That and look at your players attributes. How is their anticipation, concentration, strength and balance? And of course Decisions, but decisions is always important.

Even a player with a 2 or a 3 in those categories should know to at least move with their man. It's basic football knowledge you're taught from the age of five.

Even a player with a 2 or a 3 in those categories should know to at least move with their man. It's basic football knowledge you're taught from the age of five.

Then why do we see instances every weekend in the premier league with instances like this?

I'm not saying they have this perfect but its no where near as bad as is being made out, if your struggling it will be tactical and personal problems, changing any part of your tactic week in week out will do no good, every aspect of your tactics needs time to settle in.

Then why do we see instances every weekend in the premier league with instances like this?

I'm not saying they have this perfect but its no where near as bad as is being made out, if your struggling it will be tactical and personal problems, changing any part of your tactic week in week out will do no good, every aspect of your tactics needs time to settle in.

It's really not even worth arguing about the game with you. I'm not talking about lapses in concentration or crowded penalty areas, I'm talking about players being completely unresponsive to the play around them. It happens constantly with set piece defending, hence why the same goals are scored consistently (and I score as many as I concede). And goals scored doesn't reflect the sheer amount of chances created from set pieces too which don't go in.

I don't change my tactics week in week out either, I've just tried a few different things over a number of seasons to limit the amount of chances created from set pieces, but have conceded it's not going to change. Luckily I don't concede many from open play at all.

It's really not even worth arguing about the game with you. I'm not talking about lapses in concentration or crowded penalty areas, I'm talking about players being completely unresponsive to the play around them. It happens constantly with set piece defending, hence why the same goals are scored consistently (and I score as many as I concede). And goals scored doesn't reflect the sheer amount of chances created from set pieces too which don't go in.

I don't change my tactics week in week out either, I've just tried a few different things over a number of seasons to limit the amount of chances created from set pieces, but have conceded it's not going to change. Luckily I don't concede many from open play at all.

and yet you did...

I dont want an argument at all, i just pointed out that although yes the game is not perfect and the ME could definitely be improved in defensive positioning and marking terms, this sort of thing does happen in real life, in almost every game, even from the top teams, players switch off and lose their man or stand there ball watching, im not saying this is exactly what is happening each time or anything like that, just pointing out that you say every player learns it at the age of 5, but yet we see instances every week in the top leagues of this.

The part about tactics wasnt actually aimed at you sorry should have made that clearer.

You not understanding how the game works.

The players you see on the screen don't react at all to what is happening around them.

The underlying match engine calculates what happens based on your instructions then picks the appropriate animation to show as a highlight. So if the ME calculates three goals are scored as a result of a far post corner then chances are you'll see the same animation each time.

The 2d/3d graphics are not showing what is happening on the pitch they are simply showing an interpretation of what the ME has calculated.

The underlying match engine calculates what happens based on your instructions then picks the appropriate animation to show as a highlight. So if the ME calculates three goals are scored as a result of a far post corner then chances are you'll see the same animation each time.

Which means the match engine is often calculating 10-12 shots on goal from corners between both sides. Sometimes more. Which is ridiculous. My issue is more with how many headers on goal there are from corners than how they come about. it's just doubly annoying watching the same animation over and over where defenders are completely unresponsive.

The 2d/3d graphics are not showing what is happening on the pitch they are simply showing an interpretation of what the ME has calculated.

I understand this. Again it's more an issue with what the match engine is calculating, even on default settings and very logical settings.

Archived