Come now SI, please enlighten me on why this is happening?

Playing as Cardiff, fine defenders so it's nothing to do with my team.

Games played: 28(league only)

Goals Conceded: 27

GOALS CONCEDED FROM CORNERS: 18 AND COUNTING, WHYYYYY

I'VE CHANGED TO NEARLY EVERY TYPE OF DEFENDING CORNERS, IN MATCH PREP I'M ALWAYS ON DEFENDING SET PIECES VERY HIGH, IT'S annoying ME OFF, THIS SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER BE ALLOWED.

If anyone could reccomend another formula which I've probably tried but I'll try again, zonal/man who on who etc blah blah bkah I'd much appreciate it.

11.3 PATCH

Sort it out. And sack the guy who let this happen :/

make sure your short players are marking short players, tall players are marking tall players. Remove the man from the far post and get him to stay back sp you got one spare man in the box so it's not just 50/50 everywhere.

Other than that buy taller players.

Ok, your sacked ;)

Seriously why are you blaming SI? If it was a big issue many other users would have the same problem and there would lots of threads on the forum.

You say you've conceded 18 in 28 matches, thats just over one every two matches. I don't know what the real life figures are but that doesn't seem way over the top.

How are they being scored? do you see the goals coming more from one area? far post? near post? shot from edge of box?

How are you defending the corners? do you put men on the posts? How many do you leave upfield?

swearing and shouting wont get you any more help so i wouldnt bother.

Anyway, you have given us no real info in order to help, who are your centre backs, what are their stats in terms of jumping, height, anticipation, strength, heading, marking, positioning, screen shots would be helpful, who are they set to mark at corners, what about the rest of your team, who are they marking? Do you usually concede to centre backs or forwards? Whats your goal keeper like, again screen shots would be helpful, what are your defensive coaches like?

Come back with some real info if you want help phrases like "Playing as Cardiff, fine defenders so it's nothing to do with my team." dont help at all and dont explain anything about your team.

Typical Milnerpoint...

Hudson, Keinan, Semedo, Edwards all 6ft+

McNaughton Marking 14 5'10

Hudson/Keinan/Gyepes Heading 15/14. jumping 14/15.

Ridiculous, I have 2 players on posts I have my centre backs markin tall players and my small players marking small or up forward, like any common sense person would do... Somehow I don't think anyone concedes over 5 goals from corners every season surely, maybe sometimes but 18 in 28, laughable.

I leave 1 updfield, sometimes 2, my goals are being conceded from everywhere.

The highlight being Wes Hoohlahan(5 '6) beating Edwards to the ball (6'1), I rofled at how embarassing it was.

The highlight being Wes Hoohlahan(5 '6) beating Edwards to the ball (6'1), I rofled at how embarassing it was.

The fact that you find that strange is quite embarrassing tbh.

I'm 5'7" and regularly won headers in matches against opposition around the 6' mark. If it was as simple as the tallest player won the header it wouldn't be realistic but it would be very boring.

Typical Milnerpoint...

Hudson, Keinan, Semedo, Edwards all 6ft+

McNaughton Marking 14 5'10

Hudson/Keinan/Gyepes Heading 15/14. jumping 14/15.

Ridiculous, I have 2 players on posts I have my centre backs markin tall players and my small players marking small or up forward, like any common sense person would do... Somehow I don't think anyone concedes over 5 goals from corners every season surely, maybe sometimes but 18 in 28, laughable.

I leave 1 updfield, sometimes 2, my goals are being conceded from everywhere.

i know god forbid you should actually provide some decent info rather than just ranting and expecting a quick answer, sorry about that.

Do you think that height only matters in these situations?

Anyway, again you have provided very little info on anything, you just had a dig at me for asking, so ill leave you alone, you dont really want help, you want a reason to point the finger at SI.

For what it's worth, I only have the CB's marking tall players, every other player only has "Go Back" instruction apart from the wingers on the posts. I've conceded the odd goal from a corner, but not anymore than usual, it seems.

If you have not tried it, might be worth considering. Although I don't claim it to be anything extraordinary. Good luck!

The fact that you find that strange is quite embarrassing tbh.

I'm 5'7" and regularly won headers in matches against opposition around the 6' mark. If it was as simple as the tallest player won the header it wouldn't be realistic but it would be very boring.

Well then you have good heading attributes and jumping attributes don't you, better than the 6 footers.

Hoolahan has heading 3 and jumping 5.

Edwards has heading 11 and jumping 15, youre telling me this is realistic, if it was Chopra/Bellamy marking him I'd be annoyed but it'd be realistic.

I'm 1st in the league though so my tactics overall are top and I already have created a thread there with many agreeing with me that they are also conceding too much corners, I used their solutions, they didn't work.

And this is just a jibe at the idiot who let this happen, I'm far from the only one who's been conceding far too much from set-pieces, I found 2 other threads about defending set-pieces but they also didn't help.

And on the 11.3 patch QPR are bottom of the league, in real life they are first, another very minor fault, while Sheff UTD real life are 24th, on the game their second...

i know god forbid you should actually provide some decent info rather than just ranting and expecting a quick answer, sorry about that.

Do you think that height only matters in these situations?

Anyway, again you have provided very little info on anything, you just had a dig at me for asking, so ill leave you alone, you dont really want help, you want a reason to point the finger at SI.

I've given you the info you wanted, and yes I have defence coach of 16 and determination 15, people like you should stop trying to back up SI so much, I think SI are amazing, created an unbelieveably addictive game, but it just spoils it when moments like this happen, no need to be such a fan-boy Milnerpoint.

And thank you for the last post GB68, I'll definately try it, see Milnerpoint, I just want an explanation or a solution, and a short rant at SI, not just about me wanting to have a go...

I've given you the info you wanted, and yes I have defence coach of 16 and determination 15, people like you should stop trying to back up SI so much, I think SI are amazing, created an unbelieveably addictive game, but it just spoils it when moments like this happen, no need to be such a fan-boy Milnerpoint.

And thank you for the last post GB68, I'll definately try it, see Milnerpoint, I just want an explanation or a solution, and a short rant at SI, not just about me wanting to have a go...

I didnt back up SI at all in my post i asked you for info, which you still have not given, there is much more to winning a header than height and jumping, if you dont know that already then you will struggle to solve this problem.

Your saying you dont want to have a go, yet in your opening post you call for someone to be sacked, and in another post your basically calling Paul C an idiot because you cant defend corners, funny way of not having a go to be honest.

I didnt back up SI at all in my post i asked you for info, which you still have not given, there is much more to winning a header than height and jumping, if you dont know that already then you will struggle to solve this problem.

Your saying you dont want to have a go, yet in your opening post you call for someone to be sacked, and in another post your basically calling Paul C an idiot because you cant defend corners, funny way of not having a go to be honest.

Listen, a major part is jumping, heading/height etc, another point is tactics, and I've tried almost everything ffs, and bang they concede 3 in about 3-5 games then I try something else etc , just dosen't work.

Maybe you didn't back up SI a lot in this thread but in every thread in GD all I see is you backing them up till the cows come home, quite sad really...

Listen, a major part is jumping, heading/height etc, another point is tactics, and I've tried almost everything ffs, and bang they concede 3 in about 3-5 games then I try something else etc , just dosen't work.

Maybe you didn't back up SI a lot in this thread but in every thread in GD all I see is you backing them up till the cows come home, quite sad really...

Jumping and heading are one small part of the equation, position, anticipation, determination, strength, communication skills and area command of your goal keeper, also play a huge part in defending corners. Seriously if you want help give us proper info, what you have given will not help at all.

I didnt back up SI at all, in any way shape or form in this thread, you just decided to jump down my throat because i dared to suggest you might be at fault and not the game.

Your required info:

My defenders are all good at marking/heading/strength and fairly tall, 2 over 6ft, 2 5'10, 1 6'0 DM, 2 cm's 6'1 and 6'2 I think(Olofinjana).

I have my 2 cb;s to mark tall players, Obviously I've altrered so I've tried numerous different ways, different people on posts etc, go back/man mark, nearly evertything, zonal/man has also been altered, no real difference.

I've conceded to everyone, from Stephen McManus to Wes Hoolahan to Caleb Folan(who should be at MLS ont he third patch anyway :L )

My keeper is probably one of the if not the best in the Championship, David Marshall, and has only made 1 clear mistake this season.

My defensive coaches are good, DEF 16 DET 15, and my set pieces is 3 and a half star...

What about positioning, marking, strength, anticipation, bravery, aggression and maybe even dirtiness?

Thats just off the top of my head.

What about your goalkeeper? does he come for crosses?

If you give better information and stop ranting you might get some advice whereas if you continue ranting the thread will just end up closed.

How the hell do I do that, and no if it takes a lot of time I'm not that sad to do such a thing, I'm just going to change tactic completely, that might help this glitch, anyway to the guy who does all this stuff cheers for possibly ruining the game for me, not the first time this has happened, at Juve, Chiellini and Bonucci FFS, should really be sacked, gettiing far beyond a joke now.

Yet again, the attitude of "I've got a problem, but instead of asking for recommendations as to what I could do differently I'm going to blame SI for it" :(

Not that I should expect much different from GD.

I was definitely noticing a problem with conceding set-pieces on 11.2, but since 11.3 I've not noticed it to be anywhere near the levels you seem to be suggesting.

• Administrators

As other people have said, if you're having so much difficulty marking players from corners I'd suggest leaving no-one forward and bringing everyone back. Where are you generally conceding goals - near post, far post, rebounds etc? Wherever it is, counteract it. Maybe have bigger players on the posts who come and attack the ball. Also I'd suggest in your match preparation assigning time to defend set-pieces. Being a manager is all about trial and error, give a few things a go and see what happens. If that all fails, forget defending and just try and score more goals than them. Or give away less corners.

I'm more annoyed by how difficult it is to not score from set pieces yourself, using any kind of sensible set up. I finally managed to get down to scoring 25 of 80 goals coming in this fashion.

Kind of takes away the fun when the diff between winning and drawing so often comes down to whether you score from a set piece in that game...but i guess it is more realistic than in the past when it just came down to how many 1v1s you scored/missed.

I leave Chopra edge of area, and Bellamy up, everyone else already is defending, in my match prep as I already mentioned I put it on defending set pieces, still it fails :( I hope your last comment is sarcastic.

While I'm here instead of creating a new thread, I have a front 2 of Chopra/Earnshaw/Bellamy as well as Gomez as an AMC, why do I get 14 shots or around there and only get 1 goal against Preston? 3 accomplished strikers missing that amount of sitters, the championship standard really isn't that bad...

Oh and yet another enquiry.

Jordi Gomez, creativity 18,passing 16 technique 16, playing him AMC(Natural) and as a Trequartista, championship level.

21 games, 1 goal, 0 assists.

Why

Because 90% of your goals are coming from set pieces too and he doesn't take them?

Also I'd suggest in your match preparation assigning time to defend set-pieces. .

Neil raises a good point here. Something I forget often. Have you tried to use match preparation to assist your defending of corners?

I leave Chopra edge of area, and Bellamy up, everyone else already is defending, in my match prep as I already mentioned I put it on defending set pieces, still it fails :( I hope your last comment is sarcastic.

While I'm here instead of creating a new thread, I have a front 2 of Chopra/Earnshaw/Bellamy as well as Gomez as an AMC, why do I get 14 shots or around there and only get 1 goal against Preston? 3 accomplished strikers missing that amount of sitters, the championship standard really isn't that bad...

Because the ME creates too many chances therefore the strikers have to miss loads. You could set all your players to long shots rarely.

Neil raises a good point here. Something I forget often. Have you tried to use match preparation to assist your defending of corners?

I already do that on workload High/Very high as I've mentioned!

Yeah but long shots is already on rarely, Earnshaw missed 5 one-on-ones a game ffs, so does Bellamy and so does Chopra, has anyone ever seen these 3 play in real life, granted they miss a few but none of them pass the ball to their keeper on a one on one????

When did I say 90 percent of goals come from set pieces, cretin.

In fact, 4 of my goals have been from set pieces, and at 2nd in the league(thanks to the stupid corners glitch) i don't think I'd be top with 4 goals scored in 32 games.

OK first and last warning- keep the discussion civil without the personal insults.

Yeah but long shots is already on rarely, Earnshaw missed 5 one-on-ones a game ffs, so does Bellamy and so does Chopra, has anyone ever seen these 3 play in real life, granted they miss a few but none of them pass the ball to their keeper on a one on one????

Edit:

I give up...

Ok then, when did I say 90 percent of my goals came from set-pieces, whatever your username was.

Then what the hell are you complaining about? Do you want to win every game 6-0 because that will be super realistic?

Noooo, Bluebirds, Following Neils' comment, I was asking if you have match preparation on "Defending Set Pieces" ! Not just on high workload. Big difference my friend! But it seems you have made up your mind already and are not willing to listen to any suggestions.

It says in the very first post that he has it set that way...

No I know what you are on about: there's 6 boxes and you can tick, one being defending set pieces, as I said I've had it like that all season mate, and who says I don't listen to advice, look at post #12 of this thread, I tried your advice, thanked you but sadly it didn't work... And If I hadn't have known about the match prep I would have done that also but as I mentioned I already knew, but thanks anyway...

Then what the hell are you complaining about? Do you want to win every game 6-0 because that will be super realistic?

No I just want to know why I have so many shots in the first place, and why with 3/4 prolific championship strikers/premiership standard do i score 1 out of my 18 chances(8 being CCC)

They have a better manager in real life?

Seriously though I would like to help but I feel as though I would be wasting my time so I'll just suggest you look at the threads in the tactics forum.

No I just want to know why I have so many shots in the first place, and why with 3/4 prolific championship strikers/premiership standard do i score 1 out of my 18 chances(8 being CCC)

Ok i'll explain. SI wants goals to be scored in a variety of ways and at a sensible number per game. Unfortunately the ME creates too many 1v1s. Now if they don't make strikers miss more good chances than they would in real life the scorelines will be too high. It's annoying but that's the way it is. Hopefully some day a version of FM will come out where the defenders don't allow for so many of them but when they happen the strikers generally score.

You can either accept that they still will score a decent number per game...even though they'll miss a lot too, or change your tactics to slow down the build up. Seen as you in 1st i'd guess you should go with the former.

P.S only scoring 4 in 28 from set pieces is pathetic....you should be getting that in penalties alone ;)

No, thanks to a ****ing joke of a 3-2 loss against leicester where ****ing 2 of their goals were from corners and the other a free kick were smallish Stephen McGinn scored, I'm now 4th. DOES THIS GAME GET ANY MUCH MORE OF A FAIL, I FEEL AS IF I'M GOING TO RAGE QUIT.

Archived