Messi/fakeRonaldo/Rooney/Kaka=overrated

Kaká has been worryingly "average" this year... injuries or not, he hasn't been nowhere near to the level of performances he used to have at AC Milan. But he does (did?) deserve all the hype.

Rooney needs a perfect team behind him in order to deliver. Otherwise he just turns into just another striker.

Fake Ronaldo is often all smoke little fire. Especially if the team isn't on par with his skills and expectations.

Except the lack of goals, Messi has done alright, I think he's been unlucky not to have scored too, keepers have made some fantastic saves against him.

Torres has probably been the biggest flop of the cup (well, tied with Rooney perhaps), I'm amazed Spain played him today.

:confused: tied with rooney? More was expected of Rooney because of the vastly different seasons they both had. So Rooney was a bigger flop imo.

Messi did do very well though and I honestly think he has more ability than Maradonna did. People will probably shoot me down for saying that but when you watch Messi at his best you think all Argentina needs is to be more organised and he will take them anywhere.

I think we should be glad that footballing standards have improved to the point where no superstar will dominate teams like in the days of Maradona in Italy 90. Players are now fitter, more aware and the coaches are better now. Messi and Ronaldo are out of this world at the club level due to the support of their team, while they have failed to shine at the international football level due to various other factors.

Except, of course, the English, whose coaches and footballers seem to still reside in the 1980's. ;)

Just pointing out that it's Cristiano Ronaldo as opposed to the Brazilian Ronaldo.

So what makes Cristiano a "fakeRonaldo"? It's not like the fat Ronaldo has an original name is it? There were tons of Ronaldos before him and there will be many more after him.

All four of them are great players. All four.

I did find myself wondering what kind of odds you could have gotten on none of them scoring in this WC. Was it even available to bet on? Amazing.

except ronaldo did score at this world cup so it still wouldn't have been worth betting on.

Funny, I really had to think about it b/f I could even remember. And, it was the 6th of 7 v. N.Korea. Totally forgot about it b/c it was so forgettable, I guess.

So what makes Cristiano a "fakeRonaldo"? It's not like the fat Ronaldo has an original name is it? There were tons of Ronaldos before him and there will be many more after him.

But Brazilian Ronaldo was the first of that name to become a global superstar, so he is the original Ronaldo, and Cristiano is know as the fake one because people might get confused if you just refer to him as Ronaldo.

All four of them are great players. All four.

I did find myself wondering what kind of odds you could have gotten on none of them scoring in this WC. Was it even available to bet on? Amazing.

would have lost that bet though, Ronaldo scored

Kaka wasn't up to his best- wasn't fully fit but there were glimpses. Messi didn't score, but he was still pretty significant- especially the game where he set up 3 of the goals. Ronaldo was handicapped by his manager's choice of tactics. And Rooney not sure what was up with him.

Don't know why Robben is never mentioned- suppose because hes always injured.

You know who is really overrated?

Van Persie...

I'll heartily laugh at anyone putting him in the same bracket as the ones in the OP, but I don't think anyone does.

The Dutch team are in the strange situation of not having a world class striker, that must be the first time since the fifties or so.

KJH could have been one, if the Bastardos Blancos hadn't ruined him by keeping a young striker on fire on the bench all season, then flogging him off to a has been outfit where again he's kept on the bench, he might have developed a lot better.

I'll heartily laugh at anyone putting him in the same bracket as the ones in the OP, but I don't think anyone does.

I know... still RvP is still regarded as a classy player, while he reminds me of the cocky guy in Sunday League, who does all sort of tricks during warm-up, carries himself as if he's 10x better than the rest, but then in the game can't just come up with a useful play, not even by accident.

Basically the guy who will rather try to dribble the corner flag then pass the ball to a teammate in the clear.

You know who is really overrated?

Van Persie...

Dont agree with this Kalle. RvP has had a poor world cup no doubt about that. But you do have to take into account that he was out for a long time. But for us Arsenal fans that follow him regularly we know that he can produce the goods. Yes he may be a bit cocky and arrogant but is a world class player imo

Given none of us have seen every player play... ;)

I think Rooney is still slightly over-rated, though I don't base that on the World Cup. I don't think he should be in the same category as Messi or Ronaldo, or Kaka at his best. He's a very good player, but he's a step below that. He isn't even the best striker in the PL IMO- Drogba is, and I'd argue that Torres is as good as Rooney too.

messi and ronaldo is in a class of their own imo. Only other players that compare are players that play in very different positions such as xavi. i always thought that rooney was overrated although he is still the best united player imo and one of the best in the premier league.

Think people read too much into these World Cup performances tbh. Based on the tournament, Gyan >>>>>>>>> Tores but we all know that isn't the case.

Rooney hasn't fully recovered from injury and is playing in a clueless team; Messi was at the centre of pretty much everything Argentina did well, he just didn't score; Torres is carrying a knock (I assume); Ronaldo scored, and were it not for the crossbar would have two more (both of which would have been goal of the tournament contenders) so no would be criticising him.

Archived