Nigeria banned for two years.

matt1389

FIFA don't stand for political interference but they can't exactly punish them by banning them from 2 years can they :D?

They could just ban them from entering the next 2 world cups if they wanted.

Will you stop sulking already? :D

:D

Have FIFA said anything about his yet or is it just "can't imagine FIFA being happy"? They should just go ahead and draw them in groups of qualifying, etc and then award it to the others when they amazingly don't turn up.

The fact they offered Bryan Robson a job surely shows something dodgy is going on ;)

Didn't Glenn Hoddle 'blow the whistle' on some shennigans? He was offered the job, saying they'd announce a '1.5 million quid contract' but would actually pay him 1m and he should give the 500K back to someone at the top of their FA as a kick back

Perhaps someone will remember but how many bans and so on did Iraq receive when Uday Hussein was in charge of their association and torturing their players?

Does ring a bell:

Temporary Suspension

On May 26, 2008, FIFA provisionally suspended the Iraq Football Association from competition for one year, following a decision by the Iraqi government to disband the country's national sports federations. However the decision was overturned by FIFA on May 29, 2008, since the Iraqi government reversed its earlier decision in dissolving the Iraq Football Association.

Again, on November 20, 2009, FIFA decided to suspend the Iraqi Football Association (IFA) due to governmental interference. This was later lifted in March 2010 as the Iraqi National Olympic Committee and the International Olympic Committee had helped restore the IFA's "full authority.

From Wikipedia

It amuses me that Batter won't tolerate any government interference in the way football is regulated, but expects governments to bend over backwards and allow FIFA interference in the way government is run if a country wants a world cup.

I was actually thinking about this. Hugely hypocritical.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/piersedwards/2010/06/nigeria_denied_window_to_the_w.html

This guys blog is pretty spot on, the corruption and bad planning and mismanagement is just too much. The team not having a training base, fined for changing hotels last minute, friendlies cancelled (5 in all), teams see Nigeria as a joke, bad choice for friendly (The stampede), training at sea level despite having two altitude games (Spent only 3 days in Austria).

The Hoddle thing show the level of corruption there and this is needed for Nigeria. The big stick is the only thing that works with high level officials there.

We lost a golden generation between 96 - 2000 in African football but it did not actually put the football too far back so can sacrifice another 2 nations cups.

Its wierd because Nigeria is the only country in Africa that has agreed to be a back up host for the next two nations cups if the current host pulls out (That will be a factor)

Egypt, Morocco and South Africa are not interested and the others cant mobilise at short notice.

Dutch press reports that after Nigeria and France, now also England wants a investigation regarding the performances of the English team at the WC.

Link in Dutch

Apparently member of the parliament David Amess has asked for this investigation.

TBH I never could understand the FIFA stance about interference.

Sure there are many stupid presidents or governments. But still I'm pretty sure that it's much harder to become a president of a country if you are a cretin than to become the ruler of the national FA. It's much easier for a "clan" to seize the full control of the FA and with the FIFA protection it's virtually impossible to knock them out.

I understand why Fifa don't want politicians meddling in football because they could use it to serve their own political ends, like Mugabe and cricket in Zimbabwe. However like you've hinted at, who then are the FA beholden to? not to the footballer supports or the general public it seems, as such how do we get rid of an awful FA and replace it with a different one? we can't set up a rival FA and have players and clubs join that one because Fifa won't recognise it, as such the FA is almost by default in a position of absolute authority.

With a lot of countries FAs relying on their governments for money Fifa has to expect government intervention. Obviously with a lot of the European FAs, they generate their own funds so its understandable if they want to govern themselves.

The Nigerian goalkeeper has personally offered to refund back all the money to fans that travelled to South Africa. He said he just needs their bank account details and sort code to complete the transaction

If we pretend that was funny, will you crawl back under the rock you came from.

The Nigerian goalkeeper has personally offered to refund back all the money to fans that travelled to South Africa. He said he just needs their bank account details and sort code to complete the transaction

Oh dear, Roesider, that's bad, even for you.

Didn't Blatter also warned the French, especially after yesterday that The Clown and ex-FFF chairmen asked questions by the politics.

France soon to follow then :D

Please please please make this happen FIFA, it'd be too funny.

It amuses me that Batter won't tolerate any government interference in the way football is regulated, but expects governments to bend over backwards and allow FIFA interference in the way government is run if a country wants a world cup.

FIFA's just a giant monopoly that does wtf it wants, nothing new here unfortunately.

I agree with Mr. President.

First of all, FAs of many African countries must be reorganized, and people of football should be on head places... African idiots... sacking manager with no loses and appointing Swedish idiot Eriksson was awful thing... same as sacking CAN 3rd place winner and replacing him with guy who only lead Sweden team....

giving team to people who dont know more than 5 players, dont understand their language, their mentality, and giving them only 20 days to get known with the team is most idiotic thing possible...

So the results on WC are not surprising :D

Meanwhile, fears that Nigeria may attract sanctions from the Federation of International Football Associations, heightened on Thursday with the government’s declaration that the country’s sovereignty was more important than the world soccer ruling body’s laws.

Minister of Sports, Alhaji Ibrahim Bio, who spoke to journalists in the State House, made the declaration while defending the Federal Government’s decision.

He said, “Government is trying to liaise with FIFA in order to get these things done without necessarily violating FIFA rules.

“Nigeria will do everything possible to take the interest and sovereignty of Nigeria first and foremost and if that is in conformity with FIFA rules, so be it, but if it is not in conformity with FIFA rules I think the sovereignty of Nigeria and interest of the people is most paramount.”

Bio likened the problems plaguing football administration in Nigeria to cancer.

“My friend, you cannot have cancer and continue to live with it because you don’t want to spill blood, we are ready to spill blood to remove the cancer, so be it,” he added.

He said the government was guided by the provisions of the controversial Decree 101 in taking the decision.

FIFA had previously frowned at the decree, which is the basis of the government’s involvement in football administration in Nigeria.

Arguing further in defence of the decision, the minister said, “Decree 101 is where the real conflict comes from; it has been in existence and it is still within our statute books.

“Before my coming, there was an agreement between my predecessor and FIFA that Decree 101 will be amended.

“That has been with the National Assembly; as far as the Nigerian government is concerned, that decree is still within the statute books because the National Assembly has not amended it. “So it is not my fault.”

Hope they dont back down on this but still feel that after all the big talk they will relent.

“Nigeria will do everything possible to take the interest and sovereignty of Nigeria first and foremost and if that is in conformity with FIFA rules, so be it, but if it is not in conformity with FIFA rules I think the sovereignty of Nigeria and interest of the people is most paramount.”

Exactly, I hope they hold their ground :thup:

Well, Blatter can strut around all he likes, but if the Nigerians feel this is really important for them, this gives them their politicians the capital to do it. And as any politician will tell you, all he needs is capital to implement his policies.

And hopefully, the French will follow suit to get rid of the ****** who foolishly backed his fellow ****** even after he had his brolly moment at Euro 2008.

I still can't over FIFA getting in a strop when democratically elected (or in Nigeria's case an apparently democraticaly elected Vice President succeding to the Presidency) want the best for their FAs when they have allowed all sorts of interference in national FAs by dictatorships for years.

Archived