I take it that Capello is finished now?

lutontown1991

Relegated Southampton from Premier League AND ruin them financially was a success?

A manager will only spend what a board allows them to, to blame Redknapp for Southamptons financial woes is a total nonsense to be fair, the blame lies totally with the board (Rupert Lowe was it?)

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, because Ukraine and Croatia are well **** teams aren't they? England's group was clearly harder than, say, Germany's.

yeah mate, great argument. they aren't great teams at all, and this 4-4-2/style of play isn't going to win anything or beat any elite team. sorry.

I just literally don't understand how capello cannot see this.

I am listening to jogi löw telling us how easy it was to beat england, why their tactics just opened england up without a problem. it is ridiculous that he can just come out and tell me this and yet capello is sticking with some 4-4-2 that doesn't work. you'd have thought capello and his genius mind would have some kind of decent plan to stop this.

he has no plan b, plays players out of position, weird player selection, and is too stubborn to adapt to anything other than his boring way - not the way we need to be playing to win.

I am listening to jogi löw telling us how easy it was to beat england, why their tactics just opened england up without a problem. it is ridiculous that he can just come out and tell me this and yet capello is sticking with some 4-4-2 that doesn't work. you'd have thought capello and his genius mind would have some kind of decent plan to stop this.

he has no plan b, plays players out of position, player selection, and is too stubborn to adapt to anything other than his boring way - not the way we need to be playing to win.

tbf, Jogi is an absolute don.

People that keep saying Harry leaves clubs in debt need to get a clue. Do you blame Ferguson for Man U debt? Almost every team is in debt.

He claims that once Gaydamak pulled the plug on finances, the game was up. “Gaydamak lost interest,” he said. “Every club is in debt, so why is everybody talking about Portsmouth, because they’re £30 million in debt? That’s nothing to do with me, it’s to do with the people who handle the finances at the club. All I did was make them money. If they hadn’t had such an astute manager, who was so good in the transfer market, they would’ve been skint, because there was no money coming in from the owner.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/portsmouth/article6878585.ece

Bryan Robson's a pretty horrible manager.

It's also pretty difficult to resurrect someone who isn't yet dead. I think the Robson in question was Bobby, not Bryan :)

yeah mate, great argument. they aren't great teams at all, and this 4-4-2/style of play isn't going to win anything or beat any elite team. sorry.

It doesn't matter what system you play, this team (which is, after all, a collection of players rather than a cohesive team) isn't going to win anything or beat an elite team.

Play 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 6-0-4, whatever, the player's aren't good enough as a team. Individually England have a decent set of players, and they can put in some terrific performances (I was going to mention those Croatia results, but yeah, Croatia are **** as you say, even if they did dump England out of the Euros, and gone much further in a World Cup in the last ten years than England have in the last 20), but I don't honestly think they're good enough to beat Brazil, Argentina, Spain and Germany, i.e. the world's elite.

Most of these English players are on near or 100k+ wages per week. Do you really think they give a **** about how they do in the World Cup?????????

Ha, more than you care how well we do. More than any of us do. Otherwise why did they bother going?

What proof do you have of that? We now have proof Capello isn't so make the change, at least Harry would do it with passion, and he proved with his comments before todays game he knows what the line up should have been better than Capello!

http://www.plus.es/videos/Futbol/Mundial-2010-23-junio-Capello-genio-figura/20100623pluutmftb_12/Ves/

Harry Redknapp BS again. What did he say that so inspires you? He will have to work with the same pool of players. Only difference is that he will call up players from Spurs (if he concurrently manages Spurs)

People laughing at Redknapp, what's so funny about someone who took over a very average Spurs side and made them Champions League within 18 months????

Spurs were not that average. And coupled with Liverpool's decline...

Totally and utterly spot on (about a 4-4-2 system), I seriously cannot believe people just can't see this, it totally beggars belief, imo!

Harry Redknapp plays 4-4-2.

exactly. so why appoint a cheque book manager in Twitchy?

Because he can man manage.

If you score a million goals in a premier league season but fail to perform for England game after game then Redknapp is the guy to stop playing them.

There is a huge difference in International football and league football. Lampard ONLY plays for England based on his league form (hang around the box while the workhorses do the rest so he can just shoot all game). He has done nothing for England yet Keegan, Sven, McClaren and Capello seem unable to drop or even sub him.

Fatty Frank is Redknapp's nephew and even he admitted that when he was younger, without his father or Redkanpp himself he wouldn't have even got into his local pub team let alone the West Ham youth academy.

It doesn't matter what system you play, this team (which is, after all, a collection of players rather than a cohesive team) isn't going to win anything or beat an elite team.

Play 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 6-0-4, whatever, the player's aren't good enough as a team. Individually England have a decent set of players, and they can put in some terrific performances (I was going to mention those Croatia results, but yeah, Croatia are **** as you say, even if they did dump England out of the Euros, and gone much further in a World Cup in the last ten years than England have in the last 20), but I don't honestly think they're good enough to beat Brazil, Argentina, Spain and Germany, i.e. the world's elite.

So the players wasn't good enough to be Algeria, or the USA? Again not Capellos fault right? Are you Italian or something? Capello is meant to create a cohesive team, thats his job. You expect him to throw players out there and hope it happens.

Because he can man manage.

If you score a million goals in a premier league season but fail to perform for England game after game then Redknapp is the guy to stop playing them.

There is a huge difference in International football and league football. Lampard ONLY plays for England based on his league form (hang around the box while the workhorses do the rest so he can just shoot all game). He has done nothing for England yet Keegan, Sven, McClaren and Capello seem unable to drop or even sub him.

Fatty Frank is Redknapp's nephew and even he admitted that when he was younger. without his father or Redkanpp himself he wouldn't have even got into his local pub team let alone the West Ham youth academy.

Lampard's scored 100+ goals in the past 5 seasons. England should've been playing to HIS strengths. Irrelevant anyway, he'll be 36 for Brazil.

So the players wasn't good enough to be Algeria, or the USA? Again not Capellos fault right? Are you Italian or something? Capello is meant to crate a cohesive team, thats his job.

Absolutely not Capello's fault.

Any manager should be able to play ANY formation against the likes of Algeria and England should win with the players they have compared to the Algerians.

It's quite simple that England players are overrated. Don't blame the manager.

So the players wasn't good enough to be Algeria, or the USA? Again not Capellos fault right? Are you Italian or something? Capello is meant to create a cohesive team, thats his job. You expect him to throw players out there and hope it happens.

That's the second time you've asked if I'm Italian. Out of interest wtf does my nationality have to do with anything?

well it does matter actually, and it's one of the major reasons we lost. obviously the team's cohesion is another thing all together, they are a bunch of individuals, but I don't see capello creating any big bond or team spirit. might aswell just appoint beckham for that reason alone.

we need to look at our style of play, because the way we attack in particular is pathetic.

That's the second time you've asked if I'm Italian. Out of interest wtf does my nationality have to do with anything?

Well you never answered the first time, and I'm trying to work out if its your nationality that is giving you such blind faith in Capello.

• Administrators

Meant to get back to this:

I have to say I disagree Phil.

Your first point is quite interesting. I have noticed that it is very rare for a manager who hardly speaks the language of his team to come in and suddenly make players play to 100% of their ability as an OFFENSIVE unit. Now, it is perhaps easier for a foreign manager to take a bunch of average players and have them defend as a unit and get by games. But I feel like in order for players to express themselves in offense, communication is more important between translating what the manager wants and how the players should perform.

Capello's inability to transform England into a watchable team has nothing to do with him as a manager. Perhaps his approach should have been more negative instead of falling prey to the idea that England are favorites for every single game.

Whilst not an England fan, I couldn't care less if my team was attractive or functional, I want wins. If you're not in it to win, what exactly are you in it for? Thing with Capello is that he's largely achieved neither, but has some of the best tools in football at his disposal (and people may harp on about England being overrated but fact remains that some of the squad are in an elite group of footballers, even if it's only when used properly).

Your second point is valid in some areas, but also incorrect in others. Capello picked the team that had got him to the World Cup. He picked an idealistic and efficient team (which isnt always the best players), much in the fashion of Dunga.

Well yeah, and hindsight is always 20/20, but Dunga was competing with a confederation who are, as of right now, still unbeaten at the WC and 4/9 of their opponents are at the finals. England's toughest ask was a Croatia who were/are sticking to some older guard who shouldn't be there any more. And still he picked SWP, Lescott, Jenas, Young, Agbonlahor etc who were woefully out of sorts and offered nothing. OK, so only SWP went to the WC, but in dropping a player who kept him out of his club team to take him, it was erroneus and like some other selections, made little sense. He obviously has his favourites and it showed him up in many cases.

Of course there will be questions asked as to why the EPL's top scoring English player was left at home. But do you really think Darren Bent (baring in mind the way England have been accustomed to playing) would offer England more than Heskey?

I don't necessarily think either offer much at all but it's not about taking Bent over Heskey, it's bigger than that.

As for your final point, there is no Plan A or B or C. It is just rubbish made up by commentators and the media. I'm sure being a Chelsea fan and very observant in the Mourinho era you know all about this "Plan B". You also know it is purely down to mental strength (which you could argue Capello never instilled in his players).

However you want to phrase it, JM was brilliant at adapting to situations, was not afraid to make big decisions early in the game and was rarely found wanting. England showed no change during matches in the WC and Capello was outcoached.

You can switch up formations all you like when you are losing, but if your players do not believe they can get back in the game they never will. There are cases when you bring an obvious game changing player off the bench, then maybe you could class that as a Plan B of sorts.

Is there a case to be made that some of them don't believe they're going to win because they're not seeing a great deal of encouragement from the coach's decisions? I'm obviously using Chelsea as an example here but it was desperately evident under Scolari that we were going nowhere and the players knew it, they sort of forced the board's hand because they knew what worked best for them and it had tangible success. Since Scolari went, Hiddink and latterly Ancelotti went back, no doubt with consultation from folk who had been there since 04, and things have turned in our favour again.

Players may not always be right but there's something to be said for them knowing what works for them. There's enough signs of discontent in the last couple of weeks to suppose that not everything is happy there.

Besides, if you want to split hairs...you could argue Englands plan A is most teams plan B anyway. Hoofing balls and what not ;)

Perhaps, perhaps.

Lampard's scored 100+ goals in the past 5 seasons. England should've been playing to HIS strengths. Irrelevant anyway, he'll be 36 for Brazil.

How do those 100++ goals effect England????

He has to perform for England, if he doesn't then surely someone else deserves a chance????????

There have been many classy English players who never made it for England (and they rarely got picked because of it). Wright, Fowler, Bull etc.

Forget about club form when you are gash for England game after game after game.

I think this a watershed BTW. I think this is the end of the "golden generation", or the beginning of the end.

The quality of the next generation doesn't seem to be there for me. We have a few decent young players, but nothing world class that I can see yet.

We need to mix or experienced heads like Gerard and Lampard with the few under-21 prospects we have (Wilshere, Cattermole, Gosling, Carrol, Sturridge, Hart). Looking at our under-21s though we have problems. None of the defenders in that squad look like potential world beaters really.

Its going to be a tough few years for us as we need to make a transition back to the youth. Gerrard, Lampard, Terry and others might be getting a little bit too old for 2014.

well it does matter actually, and it's one of the major reasons we lost. obviously the team's cohesion is another thing all together, they are a bunch of individuals, but I don't see capello creating any big bond or team spirit. might aswell just appoint beckham for that reason alone.

we need to look at our style of play, because the way we attack in particular is pathetic.

I'll concede on your first point. There doesn't seem to be any big team spirit in the squad and Capello could maybe have done more to have helped that but not being part of the squad it's difficult to know what he could have done better, and what the players could have done. There were rumours that Rooney was labelled as a prima dona by other players, that Gerrard was annoyed with John Terry, that other players didn't like Terry either, etc, etc. No idea if any of it was true, but if it was then maybe Capello should have done something about it. What, I don't know.

Playing Gerrard on the left against a German team is just not good enough. In the first game, Gerrard outplayed Fatty Frank in the middle of midfield, but for some reason he was sacrificed (at the expense of Fatty Frank) to the left side of midfield, where he is no good. (for Barry coming into the middle)

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the only game Gerrard looked half decent in was when he abandoned his headless chicken routines and stayed on the left hand side "where he is no good"

Guest roberto922

We need to mix or experienced heads like Gerard and Lampard with the few under-21 prospects we have (Wilshere, Cattermole, Gosling, Carrol, Sturridge, Hart)

You're forgetting someone there :mad:

Plus I'd be surprised if Gosling ends up a regular in the England squad

• Administrators
I think this a watershed BTW. I think this is the end of the "golden generation", or the beginning of the end.

The quality of the next generation doesn't seem to be there for me. We have a few decent young players, but nothing world class that I can see yet.

We need to mix or experienced heads like Gerard and Lampard with the few under-21 prospects we have (Wilshere, Cattermole, Gosling, Carrol, Sturridge, Hart). Looking at our under-21s though we have problems. None of the defenders in that squad look like potential world beaters really.

Its going to be a tough few years for us as we need to make a transition back to the youth. Gerrard, Lampard, Terry and others might be getting a little bit too old for 2014.

Things are desperately bad if Andy Carroll ever plays for England.

Well you never answered the first time, and I'm trying to work out if its your nationality that is giving you such blind faith in Capello.

I'm Irish but born in England and lived all my life in England. Dual nationality, two passports, one UK one Irish. Would you like to know whether or not I like pasta as well? Would that help?

Why do you have to repeatedly bring up the same immature argument? Does nationality have any relevance in this?

I would like to know how much blame (%) you appropriate on the manager and the players.

It was a valid question. And nationality could have a reason he likes Capello so much.

Like Shearer just said, he came in saying he would pick players on form rather than repuatation.....he done the total opposite.

He said he wouldn't pick players who weren't getting picked at club level......he done the total opposite.

Watching his news conference just now, it sounds like he has basically already been told that he's gone!

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the only game Gerrard looked half decent in was when he abandoned his headless chicken routines and stayed on the left hand side "where he is no good"

But Fatty Frank played in his natural and favourite position all the competition and did absolutely nothing.

It was just a question calm down.

I'm perfectly calm thanks, but it was an idiotic question tbf. I'm sure you can see that.

But Fatty Frank played in his natural and favourite position all the competition and did absolutely nothing.

By the way, just have to mention this, but Frank Lampard isn't fat.

In fairness he didn't, he plays in a 5 man midfield for Chelsea, and a 4 man one for England

How do those 100++ goals effect England????

He has to perform for England, if he doesn't then surely someone else deserves a chance????????

There have been many classy English players who never made it for England (and they rarely got picked because of it). Wright, Fowler, Bull etc.

Forget about club form when you are gash for England game after game after game.

please define what you believe "perform for England" would mean for Lampard. score goals? he's never going to replicate his Chelsea form when played in a flat midfield 4 and asked to be a little more disciplined. he's been fine for England, Barry was the major problem today in that midfield.

I'm Irish but born in England and lived all my life in England. Dual nationality, two passports, one UK one Irish. Would you like to know whether or not I like pasta as well? Would that help?

Better state whether you like pizza too. :D

It was just a question calm down.

Asked 2 times and lacking relevance tbf.

So asking someone their nationality is idiotic? Thanks for another insult.

Well your insinuation that my nationality had some bearing on the validity of my argument was hardly the stuff of Question Time was it? I don't mean to insult you but seriously, it was an idiotic thing to ask me. Twice.

Archived