[WIP] Politics League

Insanemadman

Initially a joke between me and a couple of mates, I decided it wouldn't require that much effort to turn it into a league. Turns out it takes a little longer than I expected.

Obviously, this isn't going to be the most serious league in the world.

I've tried to make it closer than the actual political system to keep things interesting, but the big 3 parties should still become dominant, especially in the medium term.

The Labour leadership contest has a surprising winner.

Once again, the Lib Dems are left demanding a fairer league system.

That would be it, I ran into it when I was testing a Welsh cup involving the teams playing in Wales and those from Wales in the English structure - the ones playing in England would only reach Europe when I set their nationality to Welsh as the tournament was under Welsh nation rules.

Made some decent progress today, there is now a lower division. Obviously, still a lot of work to do though.

I'll need to think of a different way to set the 3-team championship playoff - either change it to a cup (I assume it'll put 3rd vs 2nd and then the winner vs 1st?) or change it to 4 teams.

I've been trying to get the main parties to be slightly different. The Tories have (slightly) more money, Labour are a (slightly) higher reputation club, and the Lib Dems have a youth academy. Seems to be working relatively well at this early stage.

General Election Division 1

I bet he regrets not taking his team with him

I did a test run overnight last night, it didn't crash, and seems not to be too bad (aside from 2019) for the next 15 seasons at least.

While the Lib Dems won 4 titles in a row, only twice did they actually top the league in those 4 seasons. However, I think their youth academy is making them a bit too strong in the long-term, so i'll have to find a way to compensate for that.

damn it, I was starting to do this :@

You can still do it if you wish, or you can edit this one when i'm done if you want.

Will the players be actual politicians?

Not at the moment - it's on the list of things I plan to do, albeit at the very end. Major politicians of each party will be in the staff at each club for now.

Once everything else works OK, i'll give it a go.

I'm having a bit of a problem in that all of the generated players, even at top clubs with a reputation of around 9000, are just awful.

Now I could go and manually add in players with PA and CA - that'll take ages (for every club you are looking at over 500 players), but might be the only way to get a decent squad together though.

Before you started making players, Insanemadman, how were you able to get such consistently good results for the Lib Dems, Labour, and Conservatives? All I've tried for my created leagues is altering their reputation ratings, but that doesn't really do anything (the team with the lowest rating won the league one year).

This looks like terrific fun! Well done for coming up with such an original idea, it's worth it just for that Clegg screenshot. As a total politics geek and FM obsessive, this is probably the only way I could reconcile two of my many sides.

Could you release a version without players at teams please?

I could do, but the problem is that the generated players are hopeless, and it really messes things up - for example I had the Loony Party team finishing 4th in the second reason once, despite having a reputation of 1, a tiny fan base and stadium, and no money - just as the game randomly gave them decent players. Also as the clubs do hopelessly in Europe, this reduces the number of european places available as England falls down the coefficient table.

I'm not sure if it's possible to just tell the teams not to generate any players.

I could do, but the problem is that the generated players are hopeless, and it really messes things up - for example I had the Loony Party team finishing 4th in the second reason once, despite having a reputation of 1, a tiny fan base and stadium, and no money - just as the game randomly gave them decent players. Also as the clubs do hopelessly in Europe, this reduces the number of european places available as England falls down the coefficient table.

I'm not sure if it's possible to just tell the teams not to generate any players.

A way around it could be to give the teams a higher ACADEMY rating, but also a higher TRAINING facilities rating.

A way around it could be to give the teams a higher ACADEMY rating, but also a higher TRAINING facilities rating.

I've given them 20 training and youth facilities, and a youth academy, and they are still hopeless, but they'll perhaps have one or two decent youngsters.

Ha yeah how about the current lot as players and old school politicians as the staff. Could get people pretty riled when some hate figure puts a late winner past you. Great idea and good luck

Generally, the female MP's are staff, as you can't have female players.

Old politicians will be down as favoured personnel, although a few recent ex-MPs will show up in the team.

Archived