10.3 "corner exploit" thread

Ive played over 25 games and not conceded a corner goal.On the odd occasion the AI does send the ball to an unmarked lurker but one of my players quickly closes him down and the AI players is dispossessed, shot is blocked or he misses.

Try this for defending corners. FB's on the posts, CB's and tall striker to mark tall, 2 other players Back with 3 fast guys FWD.

And watchout if I get the ball, its breakout time

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It only limits you from using unrealistic corner routines.

This whole thing is a joke. I'm fairly certain there have been corner exploits on the last 2 FM's, having said that I was away from these forums for a couple of years so may have missed these 'crises' and all the hyperbole about 'broken', 'unplayable' games.

Grow up, your game is not broken. If you want to cheat, then do so, if you don't then you'll be none the wiser and you'll enjoy a great ME and FM experience.

Everyone here cries out for realism, yet as soon as there is an unrealistic (the set up needed to use this is not what you would see any team IRL do at a corner) exploit they all start using it.

Clowns to the left, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle!

Some thoughts:

- I'm not a cheater and I don't want to cheat

- I didn't say the game was unplayable

- Could you make me an example of unrealistic corners setup?

-True, there was other corner exploits in the past, this is the worst I've ever seen.

Some thoughts:

- I'm not a cheater and I don't want to cheat

- I didn't say the game was unplayable

- Could you make me an example of unrealistic corners setup?

-True, there was other corner exploits in the past, this is the worst I've ever seen.

Some other thoughts:

-Did I say you specifically cheated? If you don't want to then life is simple. Erase all knowledge of this exploit and then it will never bother you. Simples.

-Again did I address this at you specifically? At no point did I address you so maybe your a tad too sensitive.

-An example of an unrealistic setup would be one that uses these exploits, I haven't even learnt what they are properly but hear its all about overloading this and that on near posts and lurking. So something like that.

-So its the worst, hardly going to bring about the end of time is it?

You've already said you don't cheat and that your games unplayable so all in all whats the problem?

I just don't get the big fuss that is being made of this. Perhaps I am missing something, but I've been using my own customised corner routine on 10.3 and I haven't experienced anything unusual, and the AI can't use this 'bug' against me.

It seems to me rather like the FM08 corner issue, that is if you setup your corners realistically, you shouldn't have any complaints.

Maybe I am missing the obvious, but why is such a big deal being made of it? :confused:

I just don't get the big fuss that is being made of this. Perhaps I am missing something, but I've been using my own customised corner routine on 10.3 and I haven't experienced anything unusual, and the AI can't use this 'bug' against me.

It seems to me rather like the FM08 corner issue, that is if you setup your corners realistically, you shouldn't have any complaints.

Maybe I am missing the obvious, but why is it such a big deal? :confused:

Its a fairly big deal because the issues I've experienced are from a fairly standard corner setup NOT an unrealistic one.

However I've put my thoughts further up so I won't go into detail again.

EDIT

I probably need to add in here that as bad as it initially looks the issues I've noticed don't seem to affect the outcome of the matches that much with very few goals coming from them at most.

Some other thoughts:

-An example of an unrealistic setup would be one that uses these exploits, I haven't even learnt what they are properly but hear its all about overloading this and that on near posts and lurking. So something like that.

Sorry but since when did it become unrealistic to have players attacking different areas during a corner?

Its something I worked on for years when I coached local youth teams.

Ive played over 25 games and not conceded a corner goal.On the odd occasion the AI does send the ball to an unmarked lurker but one of my players quickly closes him down and the AI players is dispossessed, shot is blocked or he misses.

Try this for defending corners. FB's on the posts, CB's and tall striker to mark tall, 2 other players Back with 3 fast guys FWD.

And watchout if I get the ball, its breakout time

Exactly. It's almost like you've used your skills as a pretend football manager to limit the opponent's scoring chances at this particular set piece.

Sorry but since when did it become unrealistic to have players attacking different areas during a corner?

Its something I worked on for years when I coached local youth teams.

I'm led to believe that it is unrealistic overloading of players.

Now as a coach with local youth teams I'm sure you will be quite disciplined in keeping a certain number of players back on the half way line (2 or 3 depending on how many people left up front), plus obviously your keeper, you'll also need a corner taker, so at best you know only have a max of 7 players to use for attacking the corner. My understanding of this 'disastrous, life changing bug that SI have afflicted upon us' is that you need to go against this convention.

You know what though, I really don't care, my game works fine, I don't use an exploit, therefore I'm enjoying it.

This is just one more reason to leave the nonsense that is GD alone for a while again. So much nonsense, taking up valuable FM playing time.

Some other thoughts:

-Again did I address this at you specifically? At no point did I address you so maybe your a tad too sensitive.

Maybe cause you were replying specifically to my post? :confused:

Regarding the unrealistic setup I realized from your answer you don't even know what you're talking about.

Cougar gave the perfect answer.

Paul, if you're still reading this, can you make sure the testers/QA/whatever look at the tactics of the defending sides as well? Against most sides, these set ups are pretty useless against most sides, but there's one or two (notably Man United) who are utterly destroyed by the lurking one especially. It seems like the old "Chelsea bug" from FM08 in that respect, where Avram Grant's central defenders would mark AMCs and leave a lone striker unmarked.

Now as a coach with local youth teams I'm sure you will be quite disciplined in keeping a certain number of players back on the half way line (2 or 3 depending on how many people left up front), plus obviously your keeper, you'll also need a corner taker, so at best you know only have a max of 7 players to use for attacking the corner. My understanding of this 'disastrous, life changing bug that SI have afflicted upon us' is that you need to go against this convention.

Nope. It takes 6 men in the box, one outside or short, one taking the corner, two back defending and the goalkeeper. However, some people try it with two players on each post and two in the middle of the goal, which of course leads to a massive pile up (6 attackers+ 6 markers+ 2 on the posts+ goalkeeper). That means more shots are blocked, but there are also more deflections.

As FM and before that a CM player going right back to when it all started with picture of the scary man pointing at you on the front of the original Domark box can I make a few points re the corners. I am playing as Notts County and have reached the Premier League. Out of curiosity I tried the corner routine and it works, however it certainly doesn't work all the time and of course you have to be attacking to win corners. Also I have conceded two goals on the break from my corners. It has not made me into an unbeatable team and certainly the AI has used something similar to score on a couple of occassions. My main point is the corner routine only starts to level out the playing field with regards to the unrealistic actions of my own players. By this I mean,

-the strange sideways run that they do to stop them getting to the ball first

-the sudden change in direction when running towards the ball as though they have seen something in the other direction

-the defenders suddenly stopping when chasing an attacker back for no apparent reason

-the running away when the ball comes towards them as though its a bomb

-the throw ins and freekicks that given straight to the other team so they can go upfield and score

-the general standing like statues at a crucial point

-and my favourite the goalkeeper throwing the ball to the same defender who gets robbed by an attacker three times and finally manages to score on the third time of asking. I often wondered how many more times he would have thrown it to him before he thought it might not be a good idea!!

You know what though, I really don't care, my game works fine, I don't use an exploit, therefore I'm enjoying it.

This is just one more reason to leave the nonsense that is GD alone for a while again. So much nonsense, taking up valuable FM playing time.

My standard corner setup would be:

10 outfield players

2 on "Back" order

2 corner takers on "Back if needed" order results in the one not taking the corners sometimes staying back, sometimes going forward.

1*"Lurk outside box"

1*"Near post Flick"

1*"Attack near post"

1*"Challenge keeper"

1*"Attack far post" or "Stand on far post"

1*"Forward"

If I have a particularly small team I sometimes take switch the far post order for either a 2nd lurk order or an offer short option.

• SI Staff
Two things:

- This specific exploit variation was NOT spotted before 10.3 was released.

Erm, actually I stand corrected. It was spotted by beta testers, but I missed it. My apologies.

:(

PaulC,

Do I really have to spy all of network managers, watch all the matches and note who scored a goal like this. We test it yesterday. Polish midfielder Bartosz Lawa scored 16 goals from corners in 8 matches!

This is tremendous BUG. Do I really have to permanently think about it during every session? If someone won 3 extra point this way during a season i have to treat him like a cheater? Can't you repair this bug? Can't you make a smal fix? Tell me why? Do you have no time or do you treat as like idots? We respect SI. You should respect US!

"My apologies" - ??? I spend some money and the game is unplayable!

• SI Staff

Sorry, I wish I could get you a fix but a) we dont yet have one b) we dont have time for the coding, QA and production time and c) you can work around it in your network game by agreeing not to use it.

I know its not what you want to hear, but I dont have a better answer for you :(

Cheers,

Paul

Not good, not good.... I'm a huge fan since 1990. I played all cm's and fm's.

SI have so many fans, and you... have no time :(

Would you prefer SI spend time(about a fortnight at least) on fixing this single issue and placing a delay in FM11, or would you prefer SI to crack on with FM11 in the knowledge of this issue and having a far better out of the box product come October/November time?

I would like a delay of FM11 but SI "dont have time for the coding, QA and production time" so there's no chance of getting a fix. So all we have to do is SHUT UP and stop writing!

Paul, maybe you need to employ some Japanese. Maybe they won't miss anything next year!

I would like a delay of FM11 but SI "dont have time for the coding, QA and production time" so there's no chance of getting a fix. So all we have to do is SHUT UP and stop writing!

Paul, maybe you need to employ some Japanese. Maybe they won't miss anything next year!

Having just paid 20 quid for A Train 8 I can't recommend that option one little bit:D

PaulC,

Do I really have to spy all of network managers, watch all the matches and note who scored a goal like this. We test it yesterday. Polish midfielder Bartosz Lawa scored 16 goals from corners in 8 matches!

This is tremendous BUG. Do I really have to permanently think about it during every session? If someone won 3 extra point this way during a season i have to treat him like a cheater? Can't you repair this bug? Can't you make a smal fix? Tell me why? Do you have no time or do you treat as like idots? We respect SI. You should respect US!

"My apologies" - ??? I spend some money and the game is unplayable!

It's only a 'tremendous bug' if you exploit it though. If someone wishes to cheat by using it to score as many goals as you've stated you a) will notice very quickly, and b) can surely not involve them in your game.

Hardly complicated. :confused: I'm playing a network game and we're doing just fine because none of us are trying to cheat. If someone cheated, it'd be obvious and we'd kick them out. If someone scores a goal or two and it's clear they're not cheating ('cause they aren't getting the clearly explicit amounts you've stated) then chances are it'll even out over the season. Maybe they'll get lucky, but that's football. Don't play against people you don't trust though..

As has been already stated, it's not something that needs to be thought about to avoid, but rather one that unless someone tries to exploit is rather insignificant.

Do you seriously consider demanding a fix to a minor issue that it's easy to not exploit (and is not exploited by default) as well as exegarating the issue and launching into a barrage of rhetorical questions and exclaimation marks as showing respect? :confused: If it's too hard to notice that maybe someone is cheating if they've scored an obscene amount of goals from corners then I'm alarmed..

Hershie ->

Of course you'e right, you're right.

But I have to spy to find anything out! No doubt. There's no other way. I don't feell good with it :(

In FM09 my team scored 23 goals in a season from corners. I would like to know if it was described as a bug. Corners into the 6 yard box, two players chalenge keeper, two attack the far post. three attack from deep, and one lurk outside. 90% of goals were scored by those who chalenged Gk. Anyone remember something?

• SI Staff
In FM09 my team scored 23 goals in a season from corners. I would like to know if it was described as a bug. Corners into the 6 yard box, two players chalenge keeper, two attack the far post. three attack from deep, and one lurk outside. 90% of goals were scored by those who chalenged Gk. Anyone remember something?

That sounds like an exploit yes.

• SI Staff

Sorry, are you trying to pick some sort of argument here?

Don't bother. This is a topic worthy of discussion and it would be a shame if silliness got the thread closed again.

One question I have for all the people complaining out there. Has anyone seen the AI use the lurking outside the area exploit???? If so I think I would love to see the pkm for it. If not then it only becomes an issue of network games and humans using it. These are easily sorted with a strict 'No exploit' ruling and instant expulsion if found out(you can't do the exploit without the specific setup).

If people are using dodgy tactics in a network game then don't play network games with them. I find you have to set down certain rules in a network game anyway, and it'll be easy to notice if someone is using this 'new feature'. If people are using the tactics and player guides etc - then they're similarly using cheating methods to play the game and it's not much difference.

Looks like this is a bug people are gonna have to put up with, not ideal but it's not a massive problem is it.

One question I have for all the people complaining out there. Has anyone seen the AI use the lurking outside the area exploit???? If so I think I would love to see the pkm for it. If not then it only becomes an issue of network games and humans using it. These are easily sorted with a strict 'No exploit' ruling and instant expulsion if found out(you can't do the exploit without the specific setup).

What do mean by lurking outside area exploit?

My players don't mark the AI players lurking on the edge of the box but the corners rarely seem to go direct to them.

The lurking players tend to pick up clearances which I've seen lead to goals - one that sticks in my mind from last night saw the AI player collect the ball and dribble past two defenders before scoring. I don't see this as an exploit though and the frequency of goals scored from that player not being marked seem reasonable to me.

Would you prefer SI spend time(about a fortnight at least) on fixing this single issue and placing a delay in FM11, or would you prefer SI to crack on with FM11 in the knowledge of this issue and having a far better out of the box product come October/November time?

I'd choose the first option (but of course I can't choose) for several reasons:

- At the moment I paid for an unfinished and bugged game (the corner bug is just the major one)

- I really don't care about a FM 11 delay: I'm sure it will be released bugged as always in October/Novemeber, like the flu or other pandemic diseases.

- The planned choice to have no more than 3 patches demonstrates, once again, that a monopoly market penalizes customers, so some serious competitors would be welcome, but this won't happen.

jim82,

Of course it's not. We have many certain rules, without them it would be difficult to play together.

Of course it's not a massive problem but it makes us suspicious . Also it's difficult to find out where is the line beetwen cheating and accident. If one's team score 30 goals from corners in a season, everything is clear, but when his team score 2 cheaty-goals in a season, and it win a championship for him, it might be an accident or cheating, yes? As I wrote yesterday, one thing is a degree of trust and the other thing is a human nature. I would say "You cheater" and he could shout "man! that was an accident!". Who's right? How can I find an evidence? I'm not afraid of this bug, but bad atmosphere, pressure, mistrust and conspiracy. All we want to have fun and fun has gone.

higgins,

True words. It's always like this. It's march and he game is still bugged.

SI! Employ some Japs!

Jobnik,

I assume you are talking about a network game, as AI cant use this "exploit"?

If so, can you upload pkms of where you have unsuccessfully tried to set up a defence against this type of corner as used by another human manager?

Cheers,

Paul

what if theres only two of you playing and the 36 matches the other human manager plays against the AI? which are pretty much garunteed wins to the human manager

Oh no. I saw this thread a few times during my visits to the forums but never wanted to look at it incase I found out the cheat.

Well I have just started playing my career game of FM10 now the 3rd patch was released and noticed in all the 7 matches I have now played a lot of the corners were going to the near post where my big centerback was always waiting. I put my left winger on the attack near post option instead and its an instant goal.

What I want to say is my corners were the default options and the corners were mostly going to the near post to my unmarked centerback. So as not to use the cheat do we now have to change the player positioning for attacking corners to make sure no one is set a 'att near post'?

I do all my corners to the far post so that I know I'm not taking advantage of the exploit.

Just had a game where I think the AI did this cheat against me. Played in low to the near post, their CB turns on the ball and then scores. They tried to do it again in the 2nd half but luckily it went straight at te keeper. I wouldn't be too pleased if I conceeded 2 goals from it.

This is for people saying the AI does not exploit the corner bug.

I'm Southampton playing vs, Brentford.

The unmarked lurking man is O'Connor, he's going to receive the ball.

20100307-n37efeqyqgcbiia2irnrehecwj.png

.....and scores!

A late equaliser for Brentford.

20100307-8ujjg1idc5atn4566f2idqqjsx.png

My match pkm.

Defending corners setup:

20100307-egq91jpq4p1ybdgmxq2ir6er4x.png

Harding played as my left back, not Thompson.

Any thoughts?

The AI indeed does use it. They do it very rarely though so I guess one could accept this as something that might happen in reality.

Much bigger concern for me is that it seems impossible now to score from a 'normal' corner routine. Every attacking header won from a corner goes over the bar. Both for my team and the AI.

Thats what I'm experiencing Higgins but I'm yet to see it lead to a goal.

I would be interested to know what orders your two defenders are on that are standing in the middle, between the penalty spot & 6 yard line.

O'Connor is clearly on "Attack Near Post" order but there is also an AI player further back who is unmarked as well who is on either "Attack Far Post" or "Forward" order its difficult to tell.

Thats what I'm experiencing Higgins but I'm yet to see it lead to a goal.

I would be interested to know what orders your two defenders are on that are standing in the middle, between the penalty spot & 6 yard line.

O'Connor is clearly on "Attack Near Post" order but there is also an AI player further back who is unmarked as well who is on either "Attack Far Post" or "Forward" order its difficult to tell.

Just updated my previous post with my players orders.

Just updated my previous post with my players orders.

I don't know who those two players are but looking at your instructions they seem to be on "Back" orders although at least one other player on "Back" orders is marking an opposition player.

I don't know who those two players are but looking at your instructions they seem to be on "Back" orders although at least one other player on "Back" orders is marking an opposition player.

Yes, they should be Hammond and Puncheon, both on back orders.

Ok, I've looked at the pkm Higgins and the pictures don't really give the full story.

Initially when the corner is being setup your five defenders outside the 6 yard box move towards the four players walking in towards the far post. The two in the middle then step forward to pick up O'Connor but the corner is taken before they can get there. Also worth noting that the ball seems to go through Harding who is standing on the near post, the corner is taken quickly and that its very late in the match - players are tired.

Overall I would say the ME calculated it as a quickly taken corner that led to a goal but the animations make it look a little stupid.

As long as it doesn't happen all the time I would say its fine if a little annoying when it happens.

Archived