New patch 10.2 - would you install it again given what you now know???

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This patch has actually killed my game. After playing for a while I realized I was going have to micro-manage and watch the whole match, which I don't typically do, but was willing. The 3d which worked splendidly on 10.1 with key only, is jittery, slow, unresponsive. There have been a few cases where I'll click to make an shout or something similar and the game will freeze for a minute or so and come back with me 2-0 down 35 minutes later. I really can't play it. I still get a 5star 3d rating.

To top it off can't take my brilliant save back to 10.1.

Started a new game with the patch.

Still long range punts galore flying in - world class strikers are useless at one on ones (actually helps my blackburn team out! :p), still in my new season there are far too many goals, no one is getting any clean sheets for the same reasons as before - strange late penalties, late free kicks/corners etc going in.

Really disappointed. FM10 was probably the last chance for me to rekindle my interest in the game, but I honestly think it's just become far too much of a simulation.

It takes an absolute age if you want to do everything right. After 4 hours I had played 6 league games. Massive turn off for me.

The patch has the made the game less responsive for me. 10.1 slowed the out of the box version down, now 10.2 has slowed 10.1 down too. I get random freezes when trying to change player roles in the tactics screen. Yes i've deleted the settings and cache. Doesn't help.

Processing time seems to have improved, but the match day lag has come back with a vengeance.

threading still does not work properly - this game was supposed to be polished, yet one of the fundamental features required to make a large game work efficiently has been broken since FM05 or whenever it was first introduced.

If I look at the game status page, I can see that one core of my CPU is between 90% - 100% whenever processing occurs - the other one is barely doing anything. I can only imagine how frustratingly slow it must be on some quad core machines.

The jury's still out for me.

Defending has significantly improved, but it's still hardly perfect. Long shots have been toned down, but I still feel that there are too many, and I'm sick and tired of seeing my players smash free kicks hopelessly over the bar from about 40 yards. And now we have the delight that players like to pass the ball straight into the hands of the keeper when one on one.

Fitness isn't something thats bothering me, but to really be able to test the full effects of that, I'll need to be managing a lower league team anyway and not a team where I have two good players in each position and several very good youth players if need be.

I know it's always recommended that you start a new game with the new patch, but what are other users opinions on this? The tactic I use for my Liverpool side has gone from being able to tear pretty much any team apart to being almost useless and has got me thinking it might just be worth starting again from scratch.

Guest El Payaso
Its possible keepers are a little too good on one on ones. Its 100% something we will assess for 10.3, but at the same time there are people reporting improved one on one conversion rates so we need to be careful.
What you should do is make the defenders defend once again. ****** strikers are scoring loads of goals because defenders read the game so badly.

And back to the topic: I don't really know. The match engine is still scheit. Far far too much space, passing pinpointed, crosses pinpointed, defensive players misjudging balls, loads of clear-cut chances etc... All about attacking. Defending hasn't been an option for longlong time, only the good keepers and poor finishing prevent teams scoring 5 goals per game.

Yeah and I can't even start a new game because the game freezes immediately when browsing player profiles.

Way to go SI you made; the worst FM I've ever played. Hopely you don't make it even worse in next patch.

It takes an absolute age if you want to do everything right. After 4 hours I had played 6 league games. Massive turn off for me.

Agreed. Trying to play on commentary only or even key highlights is impossible. Playing on commentary you could formerly make adjustments based on stats (possession, pass completion etc) but now none of that matters. You dominate a whole match carve the oppo up the entire 90 to lose 2-0. You have to outshoot the AI 3 to 1 in order to even get close to them in goals scored.

Maybe there should be an added touchline shout called "Don't hit it straight at the keeper you f*ckhead"

I also see the exact same defensive issues with the exception that now I cannot stop it. Laser through balls, tons of space, one 35 yard goal a match...the list goes on. No matter what the instructions my players will never close, mark tightly, or try for that matter.

Maybe I just get worse the closer the engine gets to real-life. I have no problem with the developers/development, the game has just evolved past me.

That said, I hope everyone keeps on enjoying the game and thank you to SI for their presence in the forums. Maybe I'll head back to 10.1 but I'll probably just put it away for a while.

Guest El Payaso
Sad, right?
It is sad. I bet that defenders like Terry, Vidic and Agger would like to see SI in court if they saw the match engine. The match engine is almost a slander for all the great defenders in world.

But strikers would surely like this game as anyone can score goals in this game.

In Finland we've started calling the game The Icehockey manager because the match engine reminds more hockey than football.

• SI Staff

Yet the teams with the best players still tend to be at the right end of the table when you run a season through the ME.

Its so simple. If you dont like it, go and do something else - its your time. We are trying to simulate a real football match, kick by kick, tackle by tackle. Its inevitable it might not quite live up to the real thing. But its not for lack of trying, and there are plenty who get great amounts of enjoyment from it!

Yet the teams with the best players still tend to be at the right end of the table when you run a season through the ME.

Its so simple. If you dont like it, go and do something else - its your time. We are trying to simulate a real football match, kick by kick, tackle by tackle. Its inevitable it might not quite live up to the real thing. But its not for lack of trying, and there are plenty who get great amounts of enjoyment from it!

Oh I know you guys have done a great job. I meant what I said about the fact that I'm in the minority, and I'm thrilled that the changes have made the game wonderful for the majority. That was just my feedback from my game. I comment on no other save game/experience.

And I went back to 10.1, and I still love it!

I am on 10.2 but haven't started a new game as I am wrapped up in trying to make Crewe invincible. I haven't had any problems, nor did I really have any with 10.1. Players get fatigued more, sure and a bit more injured. That's just because it's more realistic and I always forget to change the pace of the game to suit.

I tend to play quick pacey attacking football which tires players out quickly, you just can't keep doing that every game and expect your players to live, especially with hard tackling. I normally try to at least slow the game down to a crawl for 20 minutes or so in a game so the players can catch their breath and help with their fatigue, but sometimes you get caught up in the game and before you know it the final whistle goes and your players are knackered just before an important midweek game against Leicester.

I have to say Im very disappointed with 10.2. Had a good career game with Ipswich (only losing once in 6 months) . Then I play Leicester City, My defenders are now stationery and didnt move to close down Matty fratt who dribbled through all my non moving defenders and scored. The SuperGoalie is back as all my efforts (18 of them, 11 on target were saved ) then get beaten by three 35 yd strikes !!!!!

Wish I could go back to 10.1

• SI Staff
No i wouldn't. Far too many injuries now. Quiting until it gets fixed.

If it ever does....

There is no injury or fitness problem in our opinion, so there is nothing to fix.

Sorry!

I LOVE THE PATCH overall !!! the match engine gets better and better and this is the most important aspect of the game IMHO

Pros:

+ VAST Improvements in match engine (you can now actually defend !!!). I had to abandon my game before 10.2 was released because of the frustration this caused.

+ You can now actually sell players although the sell/buy value gap still frustrates me (Second most importand thing in the game)

+ Improvements in backroom advice (Could still be improved though. I find it very annoying when players who are delighted to be tutored or teach fight and hate each other way too often without a previous indication)

Cons

- Strikers lose way to many one on ones (dont know if this means keeper or useless striker)

- User Interface responsiveness (minor annoyance. I run win7)

- Players losing a massive amount of Fitness during match (if this happens because of injury it could be labeled corectly with a green crossed icon)

Started a new game with Liverpool and thought I was doing really well. Think it's more the patch than me though:

- I've conceded one goal in 15 PL games. Indeed, the only 'Super Goalie' is Pepe Reina. He has saved every single one on one. Can't be realistic.

- I have the white albino players. On the plus side, the 3D does run smoother

- Silly amount of 1-0 wins. Again I'd like to think it's me, I suspect it isn't though.

Started a new game with Liverpool and thought I was doing really well. Think it's more the patch than me though:

- I've conceded one goal in 15 PL games. Indeed, the only 'Super Goalie' is Pepe Reina. He has saved every single one on one. Can't be realistic.

- I have the white albino players. On the plus side, the 3D does run smoother

- Silly amount of 1-0 wins. Again I'd like to think it's me, I suspect it isn't though.

Goals/game is spot on actually. 1 goal in 15 PL games? You must have an excellent player/tactic combo. Enjoy it while you can. I love winning 1-0, but with my Dortmund team in more than 10 games I have yet to finish one game 1-0.

Def 2 sides to the patch. My save game with Spurs has been fine since the patch except i lost comm sheld on pens and it told me i had won (Really, this still isnt sorted!). Tactically my games fine but i play a simply formation and my players are all superstars so should play well anywhere, And finally no more 6-5s with Man U and Barcelona. Yes there are more red and yellow cards but that is to be expected with more tackles. Also glad to have my shortlist back. My Brother on the other hand is Napoli, with some good players and on a bit of a run before patch, have forgotten how to play football. It seems his fine tuned formation dosnt work well at all anymore. So while im still playin my save game with no real drops or rise in form, my brothers pullin his pubes out and may uninstall/reinstall or start a new one.

No i wouldn't. Far too many injuries now. Quiting until it gets fixed.

If it ever does....

IRL teams are always using players with minor injuries, I've always found in FM you never have to do that. It's seen as normal to have a team as 100% fit for most games, 95% at worse.

I think this issue is more down to the amount of injuries people think is realistic, rather than there being an 'injury bug'.

Its possible keepers are a little too good on one on ones. Its 100% something we will assess for 10.3, but at the same time there are people reporting improved one on one conversion rates so we need to be careful.

Thank god you acknowledge that the keepers are too good.They have the best avr rating in my save!!The problem is that with my tactics i get around 4-7 CC depending of the opposition and all of my 3 strikers Tevez Robinho and Adebayor miss all of the one on ones.90% of all goals scored by me or the AI come from crosses,either a header or a voley or mix up in the box in the ME the goals are scored mostly from crosses.In my latest game away to a League 2 side their goalkeeper saved 5 one on ones!!!!And why the strikers when one on one with keeper always shoot at him!!!Are they that stupid!! This may seem as a rant but it isnt i just want the game to be perfect after the 3 patch.

There is no injury or fitness problem in our opinion, so there is nothing to fix.

Sorry!

I've seen a marked increase in injuries and it's ruined the game.

If you think it hasn't increased, then you must have missed something, and if it isn't getting fixed then I,ve stopped playing and will not be buying the next version.

It's completely spolit the enjoyment of the game.

Sorry!

If you think it hasn't increased, then you must have missed something, and if it isn't getting fixed then I,ve stopped playing and will not be buying the next version.

Sorry!

What sort of tactic do you play? Do you play high tempo all 90 minutes?

What sort of training do you have? Is it quite intensive?

I must say, I downloaded this patch midway into a career game and have noticed a big change. One thing that really impressed me is the fact that some regens who come through now are actually at a level to play Championship football, or even Premiership. This used to be one of the things that annoyed me, but it is fixed, so long-term gamers, give it a go:thup:

Well done SI

• SI Staff

Sorry!

That's your perogative, hope you have a rethink though :)

I've sold Faubert at age 32, playing 5 games last 2 seasons, fot 10ml. The offers were equal, from Barcelona, Real Madrid and Fiorentina. He signed for Fiorentina.

This is just an example. U can now sell any crappy player to a good club.

About fitness, I think it's more realistic now.

I've found 10.2 to be brilliant, except for one thing, i've already posted this in the bugs forum and wanted to know if anyone else is getting this.

I can't send loaned players back to their clubs and there are reports of loaned players not returning to their parent clubs when the loan ends, anyone else noticed this? :confused:

I also have loan players, not able to return to their parent club, even though the season end.

Even the loan players salary is pay by the parent club.

Anyone got any solution, to get the loan player back to the parent club?

I can't say i am satisfied with the patch, but like the versions of the game, I am up2date and never look back. Thats how I do it. The greater the patch, the more frequent I will play the game. Right now it's too soon to give a fair verdict for me.

Ok, this is it. 10.2 is going out of the window.

As Liverpool i played three games against Man Utd, reloaded everythime. Why? I got injuries on my key players every DAMNED time. In last game it was Gerrard with 3 months(Benyaun 2 weeks and Torres in same game) . In the reload before, it was Torres 3 weeks. I have never reloeded games before, but these endless injuries forces me to and NO i dont play with pressing game or high tempo...

There is a serious INJURY BUG in this patch and it makes the game unplayable AFAIK.

So when is 10.3 out?

Still crash dumps.

And let me say I have Avira+MalwareBytes.

Both toggled OFF.

While playing some errors about those software (memory things) came out, like if FM has interferred with their allocation.

So I have to remove the relative services to be able to play more safely.

Something wrong with your system Da Funk. I have both Avira and MalwareBytes on my desktop and FM10 runs ok. Not great mind, but it doesn't crash.

Well, when I played FM10 first time, so early november, I had crash dumps (that I never had in my whole life) even if I didn't had any antivirus or related software on my pc (I'm not crazy :D it's just that on that pc I don't have internet connection)

So I had problem even without those software I named.

I just point out what kind of behaviour in these crashes I (still) have. All related to kernel32.dll.

Nice to see it works okay with you. I still think it's related to the hardware we have, like chipset on board or similar.

Anyhow I repeat myself, never had ANY problem with FM before 2010 edition.

One another thing: I don't use explorer.exe as shell, if it can be useful.

Edit: I have to add absolutely. Just an impression but I had to go through many crashes before ending the season. And in summer offseason game seemed to go on perfectly.

That might have something to do with it. You're using an explorer replacement I guess?

Have you tried it with explorer.exe?

That being said, there are plenty of people who have crash dumps - Seeing as you don't have an internet connection that PC, I'm taking a slight guess that all of your drivers/java/windows update/direct x might be a bit behind?

That might have something to do with it. You're using an explorer replacement I guess?

Have you tried it with explorer.exe?

I use bblean instead of explorer, and I tried to play FM start with less than 200 MB ram allocated on memory (so every useless thing off).

Need to try tonight (I have no hope :cool:) but I wonder why should FM09 run ok and FM10 not :p

DirectX are updated, otherwise I can't run the game :p

My pc, even if hw is outdate, has sw updates often (Java, Flash and similar).

Yea I think SI struggle with hardware compatibility. We've seen the problem they have with Macs, even ones that are supported.

FM09 didn't run great on my desktop (random freezes) despite it being well above even recommended specs. 10.2 doesn't run properly at all - it's a lot slower, I get small freezes switching between player roles on the tactics screen and the UI gradually gets less and less responsive the further into a season (or the longer the game has been running, one of the two) you get.

So yea, they have some issues (long standing ones imo) that they need to sort out with hardware.

And yes, someone will say that they test on a wide range of machines I'm sure, but there are developers out there that do a lot better at ensuring hardware compatibility. It's a general failing of the games industry - there was a major game released recently, I believe it was Saboteur, that didn't work at all with ATi hardware.

FM09 didn't run great on my desktop (random freezes) despite it being well above even recommended specs. 10.2 doesn't run properly at all - it's a lot slower, I get small freezes switching between player roles on the tactics screen and the UI gradually gets less and less responsive the further into a season (or the longer the game has been running, one of the two) you get.

Funny, I find the UI more responsive :thup: From this point of view I find this patch useful.

Only HUGE problem in tactic screen: there are letters over the players in the right pitch (defend, support, attack from what I understand).

After some clicks they're all mess up around the pitch.

They're not in random position, seems like they're traslated over the pitch.

And I find in this patch some mess up in the transfer system. Teams like Juventus buying Viudez for more 4 milions and stuff like that.

Yea - I started a new game with Blackburn shortly after the patch was released. I managed to sell Jason Roberts for £5 million and Kalinic for £12 million.

Before the patch though I couldn't sell the same players for free, so they've yet to get the balance right with that too.

Archived