[FM08] Knockbreda F.C - 1 Man. 3,000 Dreams

NepentheZ

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers folks :thup:

I actually feel like I have one of my strongest teams ever this season. Oddly, Striker is the position I'm lacking in :D - I just can't find anyone. I have Mason (Screenshot to follow) - Who is pretty awesome, but he just isn't hitting the goals to game ratio that Smylie did. YP1 has lost a lot of attributes now too, and is pretty much a poor version of Paul Wallace. So I really need 2/3 QUALITY strikers, but there just isn't anyone interested in me..!!

Nepenthe..

Hope I'm not invading your thread too much, just have a few more questions to ask. I've taken over QUB, a team floundering in the Second Division of Northern Ireland set for relegation in FM08.. now it is 2012, we've just won the Premier Division in our first season there..

However, does your squad ever turn full-time? I've been able to offer some players full-time contract but most just want part-time. Also, can I ever get more than one coach or physio? My board won't let me sign any. Does this come with winning the Premier Division repeatedly and performing well in Europe, getting reputation up?

I'm also struggling to get finances and my 800 seater isn't exactly shaping up OK but we're in 200K debt so can't see that happening soon. I guess I can't really ask you about that though, it's more my financial incompetence than anything so I doubt you will have a magical answer for me there.

I'm just basically wondering, after winning the Premier Division, if we will continue to improve further.

Sorry to bother you with the questions anyway, and congratulations once more on your achievements.. a fantastic effort.. I would love to see a regen even half as good as Smylie come through the academy some day.. ah, can only dream. :D

I'm a Pro club. A few others in the division are too. I don't remember the exact league requirements (might be 2 consecutive league titles) - but £5,000,000 in the bank, triggers automatic promotion status. As for the coaches, unfortunately, in FM08, thats hard coded. (Changed for FM10, I believe.) - So what the board offers, will never change. However, you can usually hire 2 or 3 more than what the board allow you. Then the other ways around it, are to sign coaches, once they are a coach in your club, offer them contracts as assistant managers. They will all sign, and the board will not block it, because it doesn't realize what you're doing. You can then sign more coaches, and repeat the process. I only have 6 coaching staff (including Ass Man) right now, but at one stage, I had 7 Ass Men, and 4 Coaches.

As for finances, its tough. I was in debt for a fair bit in my early years, but once you make it that first time to the Group Stages of the Champs League, you're pretty much set up. In the mean time, find your star players, and offer them to clubs for a reasonable amount of money, +50% of future fee. Because of the league rep, you'll never really get more than £1,000,000 for a player (unless they're exceptional, I've sold players for £10,000,000 a couple of times) - but make sure you sell them to a league with a high rep (Premiership, Primera League, Serie A etc) - because when they get sold on, its usually for £10,000,000+, so you'll get a nice £5,000,000+ bump when you least expect it :)

It takes a lot of time and effort to do anything in N. Ireland, but as you can see by my save, its worth it. I've achieved things here, I never thought I could. It took me 30 years (or more, I forget) - to even win the Champs League. So keep that in mind. Focus on getting a solid squad together to dominate domestically, and the rest will come with time. :thup:

If you haven't, start up a career thread, too. I'd love to follow someone else playing in N. Ireland. :thup:

I'm a Pro club. A few others in the division are too. I don't remember the exact league requirements (might be 2 consecutive league titles) - but £5,000,000 in the bank, triggers automatic promotion status:

I think it is 5 consecutive league titles, but you can get it quicker with getting over £5,000,000 in the bank! Luckily, I started a Knockbreda game (in homage to the master!) and i got to group stages of CL in my 3rd Prem season, so I turned Pro after 3 titles.

And just for a little annoyance, in my Knockbreda game I got a brand new (only 1889 seater) stadium, and it was named after me despite not being on the favoured personnel for the club! You didn't get that did you ;-)!

If only I was as good at the rest of it as you are!

I'm a Pro club. A few others in the division are too. I don't remember the exact league requirements (might be 2 consecutive league titles) - but £5,000,000 in the bank, triggers automatic promotion status. As for the coaches, unfortunately, in FM08, thats hard coded. (Changed for FM10, I believe.) - So what the board offers, will never change. However, you can usually hire 2 or 3 more than what the board allow you. Then the other ways around it, are to sign coaches, once they are a coach in your club, offer them contracts as assistant managers. They will all sign, and the board will not block it, because it doesn't realize what you're doing. You can then sign more coaches, and repeat the process. I only have 6 coaching staff (including Ass Man) right now, but at one stage, I had 7 Ass Men, and 4 Coaches.

As for finances, its tough. I was in debt for a fair bit in my early years, but once you make it that first time to the Group Stages of the Champs League, you're pretty much set up. In the mean time, find your star players, and offer them to clubs for a reasonable amount of money, +50% of future fee. Because of the league rep, you'll never really get more than £1,000,000 for a player (unless they're exceptional, I've sold players for £10,000,000 a couple of times) - but make sure you sell them to a league with a high rep (Premiership, Primera League, Serie A etc) - because when they get sold on, its usually for £10,000,000+, so you'll get a nice £5,000,000+ bump when you least expect it

It takes a lot of time and effort to do anything in N. Ireland, but as you can see by my save, its worth it. I've achieved things here, I never thought I could. It took me 30 years (or more, I forget) - to even win the Champs League. So keep that in mind. Focus on getting a solid squad together to dominate domestically, and the rest will come with time. :thup:

If you haven't, start up a career thread, too. I'd love to follow someone else playing in N. Ireland. :thup:

Thanks very much for your response, that's extremely helpful. I haven't started my Champions League campaign yet, but the second qualifying round was just drawn - I have an easy team from Cyprus for my first round, and then the second round I managed to draw Fenerbahce. What luck.. :D

Anyway, I have FM10 now but I'll definitely keep playing this save when I have the time, I love the Northern Ireland leagues due to the shorter seasons - it's a lot more fun compared to slogging it out for 40-50 games. 30 games in the Premier Division seems to be definitely the perfect balance for me - not too short and not too long.

Thanks once again for your response, and keep up the great work with Knockbreda. Also, well done Jackyb as well on your success with Knockbreda - I don't think I'm going to be getting a stadium named after me any time soon. They suggested naming the fan club after me - but they suggest that any time you win a cup or a league, so I don't think I'm anything special. :D

I'm in 2027 with Mountjoy Utd on FM09 and absolutely loving it. I've got 32 million in the bank and nobody to spend it on lol. Love the challenge of getting youngsters that can step in when your big players get itchy feet. Won the champions league last year and the world club championship too. Just got the new 14000 all seater Bailey Stadium named after me and all training facilities are maxed out. We have a total of 16 coaches.

Games get called off for fun earlier in the season and you get an unbelievable pileup from Feb onwards. I keep a first team of 2 players for each position and rotate for every game at this point, resting for a day after the game. You end up playing 10-11 games in a month.

Worthington retired from the national team (that is half full of products of my youth acadamy) last season so I thought here we go. 14 trebbles on the trot and they gave the job to a new 35yo regen manager with no experience.

The botu was a sham :D

Arguably, we won it in normal time. And then to only allow 1 hour for the Extra Time, is stupid.! It was determined by the people online in that partcular hour. Amazing.

Never get 4,000 though :D

Be lucky to get 3,100 at the rate he's playing :D

haha :D

I've been contemplating this save, tbh. I feel I've achieved all I can now. I'm having no luck in the Champions League, and seem like I can't win it anymore. So I'm going to see out Smylie's career (which could be a few seasons yet) - and then take a break, and try to get into an FM10 save. By no means am I retiring though :) - I did the same thing with FM09, and it only lasted a couple months, before I came scampering back to this :)

Its over

On the league reset date, I checked Smylie, to see if I could offer him Staff Contract yet. And he had the "Plans to retire on 21.6.54" - :( - I asked him yo reconsider retirement, and I got the "Will come back to you with a decision in the next few days." Unfortunately, the next few days, wasn't soon enough, as his retirement date was before then. Alas, the great man has now retired, and there is NO staff profile for him. That is the end of the Legend.

Season Update, and Smylie Career update to follow shortly.

(You can also find this on Post 3 of the Career Thread)

The man that is. The man that was. The Legend. The Career. The Lot.

Smylie's Year by Year Career.

Club Totals :

Games, 1,286 | Goals, 3,081 | Assists, 604 | MoM, 725 | GPG 2.40 | Av. R 8.60

N. Ireland :

Games, 118 | Goals, 64

*Smylie is now N. Irelands All Time Record Goal Scorer

Career Totals :

Games - 1,404

Goals - 3,145

Assists - 604

MoM - 725

Honors :

N. Irish Premier Division [b]x23[/b]
N. Irish League Cup       [b]x22[/b]
N. Irish Cup              [b]x22[/b]
N. Irish Antrim Cup       [b]x20[/b]
All Ireland Cup           [b]x20[/b]
UEFA Cup                  [b]x 1[/b]
Super Cup                 [b]x 2[/b]
Champions League          [b]x 3[/b]
World Club Championship   [b]x 3[/b]

[b]Total Honors              116[/b]

Major Awards :

Supporters (Fans) Player of the Year            [b]x19[/b]
N. Irish Player of the Year                     [b]x18[/b]
N. Irish Premier Division, Player of the Year   [b]x18[/b]
N. Irish Premier Division, Top Goal Scorer      [b]x19[/b]

European Golden Boot               [b]x17[/b]
Champions League Best Goal         [b]x 3[/b]
Champions League Best Player       [b]x 6[/b]
Champions League Golden Boot      [b] x 9[/b]
Champions League Dream Team        [b]x 9[/b]

Club World Championship Best Player      [b]x 2[/b]
[b]
Total Major Awards : 120[/b]

Minor Awards :

N. Irish Premier Division Team of the Week   [b]x250[/b]
N. Irish Premier Division Goal of the Month  [b]x33[/b]

Knockbreda Season Best Eleven    [b]x23[/b]
Knockbreda Overall Best Eleven   [b]x 1

Total Minor Awards : 307[/b]

N. Ireland Awards

Seasonal Best Eleven    [b]x16[/b]
Overall Best Eleven    [b] x 1[/b]
[b]
Total N. Ireland Awards : 17[/b]

Total Awards : 444

Other Information :

16.8.2032 - Appointed as Knockbreda Captain.

01.7.2040 - Appointed as N. Ireland Vice Captain.

07.5.2041 - Appointed as N. Ireland Captain.

30.6.2052 - Stripped of N. Ireland Captaincy.

All Time Club Records :

Top Goal Scorer               (127)*
Top League Scorer             (122)*
Most Goals in a Match         (15)
Highest Average Rating - 9.23 (61 Apps)
Most Man of the Match         (50)
Most League Apps for Club     (549)
Most League Goals for Club    (1,485)[b]

All Time International Records :

[/b]Most Goals in a Match         (4)
All Time Top Goal Scorer      (64)

I'm in tears over here. Can't believe Wallace has packed it in too. The pain of seeing Smylie go must have been too great! Will Dunlop step up next year and play with the intensity of the two combined or will he wilt? Time will tell. This is quite an exciting time in many ways for you Nep, hope it continues to go well.

So if one legend retiring wasn't enough, the game kicked you when you were down and retired another! 2 amazing, amazing players who will go down in FM folklore! Our grandkids', grandkids' will still be talking about them in years to come :D.

I think I have a new one in the making. He came through my youth system this season.

Chris Cully.

I definitely think he has potential. Technique, Finishing, Free Kicks, Pace, Acceleration, Natural Fitness. Some of the key attributes for a Striker in this league, and he has them already, in the capacity to compete in the N Irish ranks. I hope he's one of the guys that goes on to make it, however, I've seen so many of my youths over the years, who start with good attributes, and pretty much never get better (Youth Player 7 a prime example). I guess they have a high starting CA but a low PA. I hope Cully has a high PA. Because he could be as dominant as Smylie. I don't think he'll ever achieve 3,000+ because the league is more competitive now, and in 10, 15 and 20 years time, when he's still playing, it should be even closer.

However, that being said, as a 16 year old with those stats, he has 12 goals in 5 games, and even scored a Champions League Hat-Trick, on his debut. Ok, it was only against Ararat Yereven, but still. In 5 games, he has 3 hat-trick, 1 brace and a single. He has 4 MotM awards, and 2 assists.

Also, I noticed in pre-season how tall he was. So I've adjusted my tactics slightly, to play a bit more of a longer ball game, and use him as a target man. With his height, and pace, he should be a force.

Definitely a legend in the making. Amazing that they just roll on.. :D Paul Wallace and Smylie played a season together, but Cully is going to have to go it alone :)

I just hope I can keep him at the club, like with the others. I'd also like a midfielder or defender, to become a great at the club. So far they've all been Strikers. YP9 (AML C/ST) is a decent midfielder, but he wants to leave, and only has 2 years left on contract, so he'll be one that gets away. YP2 (DC) turned out to be a lot better than I thought he would be. Even though he played for me for 10 years, I sold him to Bolton, where he now plays regularly in the Prem, and is in the National side. His attributes are very good for a DC, and he would be ideal in my team. Gutted :D

EDIT :

I would just like to add, there is a SMALL silver lining to Smylie Retiring. He was on £125,000 a week. So I've instantly save myself £6,600,000 this season. Which should see my profits double. On top of that, I paid out £2,100,000 in bonuses last season. Smylie had a large appearance fee, and goal bonus, so that should also AT LEAST cut in half. Financially, this team will be much better off :D

Archived