Extremes of Europe Challenge

(This is my first challenge of any sort, so any guidance is welcome. :o)

Introduction

Ever since UEFA started the European Cup, it has only been shared among a few Western European countries, with only a couple of exceptions where it has been to Eastern Europe in the 1980s (Romania and Yugoslavia notably).

This challenge, therefore, is to bring the European Cup to the furthest outposts of Europe.

Aim

To win the European Cup with Europe's Northernmost, Easternmost, Southernmost or Westernmost club (or even all four if you're up for it). In some cases, even bringing the Cup (geographically) out of Europe.

Here are the eligible clubs:

Northernmost

Tromso IL plays in the Norwegian Premier League, and are the northernmost top flight club in the world. Being located above the Arctic Circle, their stadium often sees snowfall during the winter months.

They are a relatively successful Norwegian club, having qualified for European competition a few times, but have yet to win the league and thus making it to the big time of the European Champions League.

This could be the easiest challenge due to the fact that Tromso are already an established top flight team, but the Norwegian League's ranking in Europe might be a hinderance.

However, as has been pointed out to me, Alta IF plays in the Norwegian First Division, and are located even further north than Tromso. This could be attempted as well for an even tougher challenge.

Easternmost

Luch Vladivostok are a small team located in Vladivostok, on Russia's eastern seaboard. Geographically, they are closer to Japan than Moscow, and this has caused some problems for visiting teams, having to travel vast distances across Russia just to play them.

They too play in Russia's top flight, having been promoted in 2005 after spending years bouncing around in the lower divisions. However, they have been finding the going tough, fighting off relegation year after year.

This is another top flight team to take on, although it would be slightly tougher due to the fact that the team isn't actually very strong and probably have some difficulty making it into Europe.

Southernmost

The Spanish Canary Islands, located just off the Northwestern coast of Northern Africa, are home to three major Spanish teams, namely Las Palmas, Tenerife and Vecindario.

Both Las Palmas and Tenerife currently play in Spain's Segunda Liga, one division below the top flight. They have had some success in their past, but are now mid-tablers in the second division.

Vecindario, however, are one division below and are lesser known. They did have a brief spell in Segunda Division, battling their fellow island-mates, but were swiftly banished back to the regional division.

While this challenge requires a season to get promoted at least, the Primera Division's ranking with UEFA could mean an easier time qualifying for the Champions League, should you get promoted. There are also three clubs to choose from, thereby increasing your options.

Westernmost

Santa Clara are a team currently playing in Portugal's Liga de Honra, or second division. They are located in the Azores Islands, 1,500km away from the Portuguese mainland, and at its most Western point, only 2,000km away from Canada.

They are a relatively modest team, but are definitely the biggest team in the Azores. Their biggest rivals are their fellow islanders from Madeira, Maritimo and CD Nacional, who are currently in the top flight. But certainly they cannot compete for isolated-ness.

One of their most famous 'sons' was a certain Pedro Pauleta.

Another challenge which requires a season for promotion, and also the additional task of breaking the Portuguese 'Big 3' to qualify for the Champions League.

Countries to be loaded

As above, the following countries must be loaded (up to the division the teams are in, obviously):

Norway

Russia

Spain

Portugal

Any other leagues to be loaded is entirely up to your discretion, but the four above are a requirement.

Rules

I wouldn't like to implement many rules, for this is a simple challenge with a simple goal: Win the Champions League with one of those clubs. That said, some restrictions have to be imposed.

- A large database is preferred, although if your computer is not up to it, medium is fine.

- Players from those four leagues to be loaded, preferably

- Use of any external editors and utilities are prohibited.

Otherwise it's just simple. Become manager of one of those clubs and bring them to glory.

Posting

Player naming is allowed

Tactics discussion is allowed

Screenshots are recommended. I would love to see your progress.

Some screenshots I would love to see:

- Your manager profile

- If you do qualify for Europe, screenshot of the league table with your final position

- Your European progress. Every stage and team you knock out.

- And of course, should you finally make it and lift the coveted cup, a screenshot of the final.

That's mostly it. I wish all of you the best of luck in taking on this challenge, and look forward to your success. :)

(Any advice and questions welcome. Thank you. :))

Well done mate. All 4 options are very attractive, it's just whether or not I'll get time to play much 'Extreme' Football with FC Frozen Nuuk taking up my time.

I quite like that game of yours honestly. The idea of a team from Greenland intrigues me. :p

In Norway there are teams further north than Tromso. Alta probably start in the Second Division Group 4, maybe the 1st Division, and Hammerfest are unplayable at the start on FM2009.

Great idea for a challenge though, and one I've sort of taken up privately in the past as I have managed Luch and Hammerfest on FM games.

In Norway there are teams further north than Tromso. Alta probably start in the Second Division Group 4, maybe the 1st Division, and Hammerfest are unplayable at the start on FM2009.

Great idea for a challenge though, and one I've sort of taken up privately in the past as I have managed Luch and Hammerfest on FM games.

I see. Thanks for the heads-up.

I probably went for the slightly more obvious ones, given that I don't know much about the lower leagues.

What a cracking challenge this is! Well done, Ben.

I've got a bit of free time on my hands this weekend, so I think I'll start right away with Santa Clara.

I've never managed in Portugal before, so this should be interesting.

I'll probably take up the challenge at some point with Hammerfest (If allowed), or in Portugal. I am though not starting a new game before the next patch, and I'm enjoying my Leicester save too much right now.

Hammerfest you would need to holiday and hope, if you start the game in Norway January 2009 you can play as Bossekop UL who got promoted in real life to play in 2nd division in 2009. Or you could play with Alta in 1st division both further north than Tromsø since they are both from Alta.

Also as eastern is concerned, in theory you can get Sakhalin promoted to 2nd division which is basically on an island north of Japan.

Bossekop's stadium is a couple of hundred meters further north then Alta IF's. of that I'm pretty sure.

Both are MILES further north then Tromsø though, that should be obvious to everyone.

Currently enjoying a game with Bossekop myself actually. Up in adecco after 6 seasons. :p

Edit: Actually I checked google maps now. Bossekop's pitch is right next to Skoleveien in Alta. While Alta IF's pitch is right next to Furulund in Alta. It is almost impossible to tell which one is furthest north without the exact coordinates just looking at the map. So take your pick. :p

Edit2: It looks like Alta IF is SLIGHTLY further north. here is google map, I put in points A and B close to the stadiums so you can see yourself.

Bossekop is to the west, Alta IF to the east: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Skole%C3%A5sen+Alta&daddr=furulund+Alta&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=70.006539,23.05438&sspn=0.003257,0.013068&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14

And both are clearly north of Tromsø:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Troms%C3%B8+Norway&daddr=Alta+Norway&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=23.173984,53.525391&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=8

Tromso have somekind of a "littlebrother" club, the distance is only a bridge away from each other. So I wonder if it's possible to managed Tromsdalen as well as managed Alta and Tromso . Both Alta and Tromsdalen plays in the Norwegian 1. Division.

Anyway, very funny challenge you have mixed up. Like it very much. :)

These are the teams playing in the Norwegian Premier Division in 2009 (I reckon 2008 should be similar, at least in respect to the Northern teams). Note Tromso's location:

NorwayPrem09.jpg

And these are the teams playing in the Norwegian First Division in 2008 (the earliest possible season in FM09). Note Alta's location:

NorwayFirstDiv08.jpg

Therefore, the two Northernmost Norwegian clubs in the game (discounting those below the First Division) are Tromso and Alta.

Like I said, I never researched the lower leagues, but if you do want a very tough challenge with a team from the Norwegian Lower Leagues, I'm open to it as well.

As for now Alta is further north then any Division 2 team as well. Beating Bossekop in the second division with about 200m.

That is, at least until Hammerfest gets promoted from division 3, but they are not doing too great these days so could be a while.

(This is my first challenge of any sort, so any guidance is welcome. :o)

Introduction

Ever since UEFA started the European Cup, it has only been shared among a few Western European countries, with only a couple of exceptions where it has been to Eastern Europe in the 1980s (Romania and Yugoslavia notably).

This challenge, therefore, is to bring the European Cup to the furthest outposts of Europe.

Aim

To win the European Cup with Europe's Northernmost, Easternmost, Southernmost or Westernmost club (or even all four if you're up for it). In some cases, even bringing the Cup (geographically) out of Europe.

Here are the eligible clubs:

Northernmost

Tromso IL plays in the Norwegian Premier League, and are the northernmost top flight club in the world. Being located above the Arctic Circle, their stadium often sees snowfall during the winter months.

They are a relatively successful Norwegian club, having qualified for European competition a few times, but have yet to win the league and thus making it to the big time of the European Champions League.

This could be the easiest challenge due to the fact that Tromso are already an established top flight team, but the Norwegian League's ranking in Europe might be a hinderance.

However, as has been pointed out to me, Alta IF plays in the Norwegian First Division, and are located even further north than Tromso. This could be attempted as well for an even tougher challenge.

Easternmost

Luch Vladivostok are a small team located in Vladivostok, on Russia's eastern seaboard. Geographically, they are closer to Japan than Moscow, and this has caused some problems for visiting teams, having to travel vast distances across Russia just to play them.

They too play in Russia's top flight, having been promoted in 2005 after spending years bouncing around in the lower divisions. However, they have been finding the going tough, fighting off relegation year after year.

This is another top flight team to take on, although it would be slightly tougher due to the fact that the team isn't actually very strong and probably have some difficulty making it into Europe.

Southernmost

The Spanish Canary Islands, located just off the Northwestern coast of Northern Africa, are home to three major Spanish teams, namely Las Palmas, Tenerife and Vecindario.

Both Las Palmas and Tenerife currently play in Spain's Segunda Liga, one division below the top flight. They have had some success in their past, but are now mid-tablers in the second division.

Vecindario, however, are one division below and are lesser known. They did have a brief spell in Segunda Division, battling their fellow island-mates, but were swiftly banished back to the regional division.

While this challenge requires a season to get promoted at least, the Primera Division's ranking with UEFA could mean an easier time qualifying for the Champions League, should you get promoted. There are also three clubs to choose from, thereby increasing your options.

Westernmost

Santa Clara are a team currently playing in Portugal's Liga de Honra, or second division. They are located in the Azores Islands, 1,500km away from the Portuguese mainland, and at its most Western point, only 2,000km away from Canada.

They are a relatively modest team, but are definitely the biggest team in the Azores. Their biggest rivals are their fellow islanders from Madeira, Maritimo and CD Nacional, who are currently in the top flight. But certainly they cannot compete for isolated-ness.

One of their most famous 'sons' was a certain Pedro Pauleta.

Another challenge which requires a season for promotion, and also the additional task of breaking the Portuguese 'Big 3' to qualify for the Champions League.

Countries to be loaded

As above, the following countries must be loaded (up to the division the teams are in, obviously):

Norway

Russia

Spain

Portugal

Any other leagues to be loaded is entirely up to your discretion, but the four above are a requirement.

Rules

I wouldn't like to implement many rules, for this is a simple challenge with a simple goal: Win the Champions League with one of those clubs. That said, some restrictions have to be imposed.

- A large database is preferred, although if your computer is not up to it, medium is fine.

- Players from those four leagues to be loaded, preferably

- Use of any external editors and utilities are prohibited.

Otherwise it's just simple. Become manager of one of those clubs and bring them to glory.

Posting

Player naming is allowed

Tactics discussion is allowed

Screenshots are recommended. I would love to see your progress.

Some screenshots I would love to see:

- Your manager profile

- If you do qualify for Europe, screenshot of the league table with your final position

- Your European progress. Every stage and team you knock out.

- And of course, should you finally make it and lift the coveted cup, a screenshot of the final.

That's mostly it. I wish all of you the best of luck in taking on this challenge, and look forward to your success. :)

(Any advice and questions welcome. Thank you. :))

This is a very good challenge and interesting. Will start a save game soon

Its hardly a surprise, you tell a guy come in the russian league, he thinks about it for a while and thinks well ok its not that bad I can get into Europe etc... Then you say its in Vladivostok, hes like where, near Japan, then he goes and signs for someone else.

Been messing with Google Maps a bit, and it's interesting to see where these clubs are at.

Tromso

Alta (It looks really sparse)

Luch Vladivostok (Incredibly close to China)

Tenerife

Las Palmas

Vecindario (It would appear that technically, they would be the Southernmost team. But only just)

Santa Clara

Zooming out (with my placemarks added) gives you an idea how 'extreme' these clubs are.

After searching a little more, I decided to add in a bonus challenge, for those who are up for it.

Keflavik plays in the town of, well, Keflavik, in western Iceland. They are one of the better clubs in the Icelandic league, belying their isolated-ness away from capital Reykjavik. Although they have not won the league in more than 30 years, they have lifted won the Icelandic Cup a couple of times in recent years, thereby qualifying for Europe.

Because this is an addition, I understand some of you may have started and not loaded the Icelandic league. Therefore, this is an optional bonus for those who happen to have the league loaded, or it could be an interesting extra challenge to attempt for those who have yet to start. I reckon this one shouldn't be too tough anyway. Just needs a little patience.

Keflavik

Good luck!

Its hardly that isolated, everyone in Iceland lives on that little peninsula in the west (except Akureyri) its not exactly far from Reykjavik. Its quite remote but not quite north enough or west enough. The only way I can think is if you say lets win it on different continents because that part of Iceland is on the north american plate. Already have Africa and Asia is covered several times over.

Its hardly that isolated, everyone in Iceland lives on that little peninsula in the west (except Akureyri) its not exactly far from Reykjavik. Its quite remote but not quite north enough or west enough. The only way I can think is if you say lets win it on different continents because that part of Iceland is on the north american plate. Already have Africa and Asia is covered several times over.

I guess you can put it that way also.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't suppose there are any Russian clubs in the Petropavlovsk-Kamchatky sort of area, then? They'd be further east even than Vladivostok.

The southernmost Israeli club won't be too far north of the Canary Islands, if you want to put that in as an alternative Southern Challenge.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived