Player Profile: Per Ciljan Skjelbred

the--dud

mlnziu.jpg

Per Ciljan Skjelbred (born June 16, 1987) is a Norwegian footballer (midfielder) who currently plays for Rosenborg B.K.

Skjelbred started his career at local football club Trygg/Lade. At the age of 15 he was selected to compete in a football talent competition entitled Proffdrømmen on Norwegian TV.

Skjelbred won this competition and its first prize, a week's training with Liverpool F.C. He was offered a junior contract with the club, but declined. Instead, he went to the Norwegian club Rosenborg B.K., where he soon made an impression. Skjelbred has been capped for the Norwegian under-16, 17, 18, 19, 21, and the senior national teams.

Obligatory Wikipedia quote...

Personal Profile:

"Ciljan" is by a very large margin said to be the most exciting Norwegian football talent since Carew. Regrettably, in 2005 whilst playing against Olympiacos, Ieroklis Stoltidis brutally tackled him resulting in a double fracture (Tibia and Fibula bones) of his leg. During this crucial period of his development, he was unable to progress until he made a comeback one and a half year later at the end of 2006. An interesting fact, after his recovery he played with custom made shin guards made of titanium and carbon composite for quite some time!

He's since struggled to find his form, but now finally he is beginning to shine again.

This month Norway won against Germany in an international friendly 1 - 0, and Ciljan was by far the stand out performer, sparking hopes from fans that this season he will finally be back as the player we all fell in love with.

Ciljan has always been an open Newcastle fan, but a move from Norway has so far failed to happen. Fans of Rosenborg will always be torn against their will to retain him and the fact that he deserves his big break abroad.

There seems to be a general consensus that the board will let him move at the next transfer window if an acceptable offer comes in.

Style of Play:

Per Ciljan Skjelbred is an attacking midfielder/wing player. It's difficult to describe his style, as it's slightly specific to the way that Rosenborg plays. The Norwegian national team also plays a similar style.

To Rosenborg tactics were shaped by 'Nils Arne Eggen' who was manager 1988-1997 and 1999-2002, during this time he perfected a very attractive and attacking style of play with very precise player-roles.

One of these roles are called 'Indreløper' which can be roughly translated as 'inner/inside runner', and this is the role that Ciljan excells in.

AC Milan has very similar roles, so I'll post one of their formations to illustrate:

do83md.png

(Sorry about picture being upside down and tiny but it's the best I could find...)

We can see here that Pirlo is the DMC and Kaka is the AMC. Gatusso and Seedorf complete the diamond midfield as MCs.

Seedorf is probably most similar to Ciljan. He has an amazing stamina and work-rate, and is always willing to move into space a head. Rosenborg plays a 4-3-3 and not 4-4-2 as the image illustrates for AC Milan.

This means there is one DMC and two 'Indreløper' on each side. The overriding principal of this position is that he should always look to move into space further ahead on the pitch; therefore he could be placed in between a MC and ML/MR.

In FM tactics, this will translate roughly as having three MCs with the middle one working as a DMC. The two outer MCs will then be on forward runs often with a fairly wide style of play. Although it can't be too wide, as an 'Indreløper' won't cross too often he would generally find space on the center of the pitch. Especially because there is three strikers and the two outer ones will often do the crossing.

Ciljan in FM09:

He’s got excellent First Touch, Passing. Good Dribbling, Technique, Concentration, Creativity, Decisions. This makes for a nimble and agile midfielder.

He's also got brilliant Stamina, Work Rate and Team Work. He's also not slow... So yep, good team player and quite quick on his feet.

Weakness: Heading, Finishing, Crossing, Influence, Jumping and Strength.

Just means he’s not an all-out winger or DMC doesn’t it?

ofdhf4.png

He's been a very solid performer for me, even in competitive leagues such as EPL/Ligue 1/Serie A/Bundesliga and similar. In my experience he'll average above a rating of 7 most seasons. You can usually sign him for about £2-3m in the first transfer window. (The screen shot is year 2010 so he’s value’s increased a bit)

An excellent passer, and most likely to be the player that covers the most miles for you.

Thanks to football_master_94 for providing the screen shot by the way...

6gwpkh.jpg

Obligatory Wikipedia quote...

Personal Profile:

"Ciljan" is by a very large margin said to be the most exciting Norwegian football talent since Carew. Regrettably, in 2005 whilst playing against Olympiacos, Ieroklis Stoltidis brutally tackled him resulting in a double fracture (Tibia and Fibula bones) of his leg. During this crucial periode of his development, he was unable to progress untill he made a comeback one and a half year later at the end of 2006.

He's since struggled to find his form, but now finally he is beginning to shine again.

This month Norway won against Germany in an international friendly 1 - 0, and Ciljan was by far the stand out perfomer, sparking hopes from fans that this season he will finally be back as the player we all fell in love with.

Ciljan has always been an open Newcastle fan, but a move from Norway has so far failed to happen. Fans of Rosenborg fans will always be torn against their will to retain him and the fact that he deserves his big break abroad.

There seems to be a general consensus that the board will let him move at the next transfer window if an acceptable offer comes in.

Style of Play:

Will follow... (sorry my lunch is done!)

Ciljan in FM09:

Will follow... (sorry my lunch is done!)

ofdhf4.png

Very good thread and thanks for using my screenshot :D

That's a brilliant OP mate :thup: It would be great if all player discussions were like this.

Back on topic, I like the way his stats look. Mid premiership material definitely :thup: I remember he was rated better in FM 08 and would always sign with a lower premiership team at the start of the first season.

Cheers el_sid :)

To be honest, I wish more people would make player threads of players they actually "known" from real life, as I personally think it provides a much better insight. I mean, we can all sign a random player and judge him by his attributes and perfomance but you won't know a lot about the player this way.

• 2 months later...

I just play him as a typical MCa, eg MC with attacking runs and through balls almost a playmaker type.

Obviously I can't speak for others but he generally plays well in that role... Nothing too complicated :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've got this player but am having trouble getting him to perform. Playing a 4-3-3 and using him as a MCa, with often forward running, mixed runs with ball, no long shots, high through balls and slightly attacking mentality. Is that about right? Seems to me that'd be the best setting for him but against anyone except the worst teams in Europe (ie the qualifying rounds for the Euro Cup) he he can't even get a 7 rating :-/ any ideas?

For my Portsmouth side, he really is a shining star, cannot fault the lad, always puts in the effort where others don't..

But wouldn't think of signing him for anyone in top half of Prem, just wouldn't cut it.

Looks very similar to Defour and costs less. But I can never buy him. I either play as Man Utd or Q.P.R and he's out of both club's ranges. He's not good enough for Man Utd or rather he's not needed and he won't go to Q.P.R. So it seems I'll never have him even though he looks a good player. Even when I played as Udinese he wasn't needed or I didn't have enough money I can't remember which.

Archived