More than a game

I'm sure others of you are similar to me, but for some of you guys do you see FM as slightly more than a game?

What I mean by this (without sounding like a freak) is that my career game on FM is all encompassing; I think about it whilst I'm at work, and then on a Sat (like now) I can't wait to watch the footy and play FM - like it's some sort of church for me and this is the holy day.

It really is more than just a game for me. I've played normal games on PC, ps4 etc and loved them. But this one transports me to some sort of alternative reality where I believe I'm actually living the life of my in-game manager.

I know this sounds mad, but hoping some of you are similar?

FM is more than a game compared to other games I play, largely as a function of the amount feedback I provide SI as this is not something I do with any other game. I'm not one for thinking about mys save when I'm not playing it but I will mull over potential bugs or feature ideas at any time during the day or night.

Yep I can definitely relate. Not so much now as I've been playing all sorts of games lately, but FM is still my go-to game. I went through a period in my life where not much excited me and I was unmotivated which led to a bout of mild-depression, but Football Manager gave me something to look forward to, I could set attainable goals and lose myself in an alternate universe. I never let it completely consume me, but it kept me somewhat sane and focused on something rather than just laying in bed staring blankly at the ceiling. Sure, FM isn't the most productive outlet, but it was something and it helped me for sure. I'm all good now though. :) But I'll always happily lose myself in an FM save whether I'm happy or sad!

If I buy a player in FM, I'll generally become a fan of his in real life too. I've been known to sketch out some formations/tactics during business meetings. And I sometimes imagine I am being interviewed on some magazine show or podcast, which is probably as weird as I go these days.

I consider immersion in a fantasy/game environment healthy, provided one doesn't ignore their important life tasks. Most of us will never get to work a dream job, so I thank FM for giving me a chance to do just that.

If I buy a player in FM, I'll generally become a fan of his in real life too. I've been known to sketch out some formations/tactics during business meetings. And I sometimes imagine I am being interviewed on some magazine show or podcast, which is probably as weird as I go these days.

I consider immersion in a fantasy/game environment healthy, provided one doesn't ignore their important life tasks. Most of us will never get to work a dream job, so I thank FM for giving me a chance to do just that.

This. I become fans of players who impress for my team. The thing is to ensure that you don't start expecting the same performances and development from them. #JustAGame

I can't say I'm thinking about FM and my save every day all the time, but when I need to pass some time (e.g wait for someone), it's not so boring as I start to relive my previous matches, how tactics worked and what line-up should I choose for next opponent. FM definitely lets me to pass those moments pleasantly.

I'm sure others of you are similar to me, but for some of you guys do you see FM as slightly more than a game?

What I mean by this (without sounding like a freak) is that my career game on FM is all encompassing; I think about it whilst I'm at work, and then on a Sat (like now) I can't wait to watch the footy and play FM - like it's some sort of church for me and this is the holy day.

It really is more than just a game for me. I've played normal games on PC, ps4 etc and loved them. But this one transports me to some sort of alternative reality where I believe I'm actually living the life of my in-game manager.

I know this sounds mad, but hoping some of you are similar?

Used to, but as I've gotten older, more active, and more heavily leaned on at work, I find playing time hard to come by.

I think the real "more than a game" aspect is less thinking about your saves (which happens with other simulation games too) but more the tendency to start viewing the players of the teams you watch IRL as a set of attributes. *Especially* if you've never even seen the players' FM profiles but are still thinking "he must be at least 15 for tackling. Shame his composure is in the single digits".

It certainly used to be.. I remember clearly in school, college and even uni doodling tactics and lineups for teams I was thinking of playing as, and lists of possible transfers.

Not so much anymore, too much on my mind these days.

Pretty much the same for me.. Remember back in the early CM days me and my friends traded our manually written down shortlist to compare and give eachother ideas about promissing youth etc..

Nowdays maybe when I can't sleep.. Often pops up a tactics screen in my head that needs small tweaks.. :)

Judging from the number of hours I put into it, FM is my 2nd, non-paying job, the big difference being I don't mind having a day off from my 1st, PAYING job, but I'm cranky until I log into my 2nd NON-paying job on a nearly-every-day basis.

Archived