FM14 and it's crazy penalty shootouts

42-42? Wow! Who ended up winning that?

My U21's won it. I have had a couple of other ridiculously high penalty shootouts as well! What was strange about this particular one was that in the news feed it said it was 3-3 and we won on penalties and then in the very next news feed it said that we had won 2-1 yet it showed 3 different goalscorers for us.

Basically, the penalty conversion rate is slightly too high, which is what causes things like this to happen.

Luckily, the penalty awarded rate is slightly too low, so it balances out overall in regular time.

Basically, the penalty conversion rate is slightly too high, which is what causes things like this to happen.

Luckily, the penalty awarded rate is slightly too low, so it balances out overall in regular time.

Well that's good to know except I have hardly ever seen a penalty missed during normal time so I would say it's a bit more than just 'slightly too low'.

Mine's probably not far off, then again given that I'm managing a German team, they don't have a figure, just the word 'German' where the penalty taking stat should be. Hence I've only missed 1 penalty in 4 seasons. And he was Italian...:lol:

Mine's probably not far off, then again given that I'm managing a German team, they don't have a figure, just the word 'German' where the penalty taking stat should be. Hence I've only missed 1 penalty in 4 seasons. And he was Italian...:lol:

Does Ozil count as English in game?

I believe SI were aware of the Penalty bug prior to the previous update.

I had to turn off my laptop to stop one shootout which reached 50-51 which gives a rate of 5 pens and a 100% success rate for each player even the '1*' and ruined my save as I hate going back to play games again.I have since had one 14-15,it appears to be a GK problem as they just stand there like glued down Subutteo players.

I now get a feeling of dread whenever I reach Extra time as I cannot recall if I saved prior to the match or not.

• 1 month later...

I have been running a few holiday games with an English level 12 database and I've looked through 100+ AI cup matches (in 3D) that have ended in a penalty shoot out and not one penalty taker has missed the target out of 100's of penalties taken. The keepers do save them regularly but there needs to be more variation implemented e.g. penalty takers' skying their penalty over, hitting them wide or even hitting them against the woodwork. I dread having a penalty against me because I just know it will be on target with no chance that the penalty taker might hit it over the bar or kick it wide. I just have to hope my keeper dives the right way.

In regards to the extremely high penalty shootout scores, I've seen a few, but not too many high ones. I have seen alot ending in 5-4 which seems to be a favourite of the AI although sudden death might be playing a part here.

The 'Penalty taker never misses the target' seems to be the problem.

Please upload the .pkm to the Bugs Forum. These are the specific sort of things that SI are trying to iron out, and they aren't that easy to replicate in-house.

With respect RTH, that's really a load of old bull isn't it?

If you fix the bug that means penalties miss the target just about as frequently as we see Halleys comet, (yes that is an exaggeration), then it immediately goes a long way to resolving this issue because quite simply the players start missing the target and penalties start getting missed. You don't need a pkm of the shootout to replicate this. You can just look at ANY penalty. Make players miss the target in line with real life and this problem goes away.

The issue is not penalty shootout specific. It's all penalties.

I have started taking penalties with my GK (penalty taking of 3), and he is yet to miss the target.

The 'Penalty taker never misses the target' seems to be the problem.

They do hit the woodwork and indeed miss the target completely, but just not often enough. I have seen the woodwork hit and others have seen the target missed completely.

No Ackter. The penalty conversion rate is ridiculously too high. As a result it doesn't balance out at all.

No Ackter. The penalty conversion rate is ridiculously too high. As a result it doesn't balance out at all.

The penalty scored (not in penalty shootouts) stats are very similar to real life numbers.

The penalty scored (not in penalty shootouts) stats are very similar to real life numbers.

I'll take your word on that but I am surprised.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised though when I actually think about it though.....

:confused:

If a GK with a pen rating of 3 has a 100% penalty conversion rate over a full season, then what actually determines what is and isn't a good penalty and who is and isn't good at taking them? If seemingly one of the worst pen takers in a squad of 107 players, (don't ask), scores all his penalties, then is it just random?

I've played through almost two years of my save now, and I watch my U21 and U18 highlights too and I have never seen a penalty missed. Ever. So yeah.

i've seen plenty of penalty's stopped by the GK. mine and the opposition

Sorry to revive this thread from ages ago but the goalkeepers in this game are getting ready to take their 3rd penalty in the shootout. I did notice that penalties pretty much are never missed in the lower leagues presumably due to poor goalkeepers (I've just seen about 8 fumbled into the goal). This cup tie in which I've opted to play a terrible keeper in against.......

Spoke too soon. Lost 33-34 on Pens with my first choice taker eventually missing. I neither saw nor care how he missed. Ridiculous.

Please amend this for FM15.

Sorry to revive this thread from ages ago but the goalkeepers in this game are getting ready to take their 3rd penalty in the shootout. I did notice that penalties pretty much are never missed in the lower leagues presumably due to poor goalkeepers (I've just seen about 8 fumbled into the goal). This cup tie in which I've opted to play a terrible keeper in against.......

Spoke too soon. Lost 33-34 on Pens with my first choice taker eventually missing. I neither saw nor care how he missed. Ridiculous.

Please amend this for FM15.

They have adjusted it, but seems it isn't quite right yet. It used to be pretty much every shootout, but I've yet to experience one going to the lengths of some earlier in the cycle. Last few have ended in the regulation 5.

One thing I did notice in the long shootouts wasn't the low quality of goalkeeping, but the high quality of striking. Penalty after penalty smashed into the corners. Maybe a better keeper would've made a better attempt at saving, of course, but it seemed like the finishing was too overpowered. Probably a little from column A and a little from column B.

Is this a football manager or a statistics manager game?

When a penalty gets given for me or against me in normal game time, i always adapt my tactics before it goes in as i'm that certain it's going to go in, sure enough - it does, it's a guaranteed goal

Archived