Leaderboard query

So, I just can't be the only one who has looked at the all-time leaderboards for FM14 and thought "wtf" to the top few users. They are the same few who were at or near the top last year and it seems pretty obvious they have found some way to exploit the system. I've been on a bit of a quest lately to understand the scoring on the leaderboard, and I have found some really interesting results. Obvious things like wins are worth more than draws which are worth more than losses, but the fact each game is worth points interested me. Learning that you cannot edit anything for scores to count was pretty interesting too.

I know a LOT of you simply don't care about this at all, but I am not posting to you who do not care, so please just pass this by, thank you :)

Does anyone else out there have any insight on leaderboards and how they work? How we score? I mean, some things are simple, winning bigger tournaments with smaller teams is the way to get big points but I am looking for small nuances like say, just how many points is your save docked for using certain unloackables in FMC mode? - I learned quickly that hotseat games accumulate no points, which makes perfect sense! This was the end of hotseat games in my house :p

Thoughts, insights and relevant information would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has any to offer.

Clearly those with millions of points are just building teams and holidaying through whole seasons at a time just to get points on the leaderboard.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose. The only time I ever see the leaderboard is at the end of a season when it pops up, but I don't pay any attention to it.

EDIT - Just saw on the other thread holidaying nullfies the leaderboard points. I guess these people must use the unofficial FMRTE then. Or some other hack. Or maybe they're just super great at the game, who knows?

I learnt one thing from FM Live and online role playing games. You have two types of gamers who often top these "leaderboards"...

1. Super nerds who just achieve everything and are just insane at the game.

2. Super cheats who find exploits in a game and know how to benefit from it.

Sadly FM Live and most online games, these two types often appear in one neat package as a single person (with many multiple people doing this). Usually the better player will also be the one with the most time on their hands, and also know how to exploit the game as well.

Clearly those with millions of points are just building teams and holidaying through whole seasons at a time just to get points on the leaderboard.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose. The only time I ever see the leaderboard is at the end of a season when it pops up, but I don't pay any attention to it.

EDIT - Just saw on the other thread holidaying nullfies the leaderboard points. I guess these people must use the unofficial FMRTE then. Or some other hack. Or maybe they're just super great at the game, who knows?

You don't score points while you are on holiday as you mentioned there. Also, just FMRTE wouldn't be enough. They must be using something more than that. I imagine it is something akin to cheat engine and a personal touch perhaps... I noticed recently the new guy coming up the charts Henrik, who also happens to be the only person on the friends list of one of the top guys.... so they shared their secret with someone. This Henrik guy only has a couple hundred hours in game so that makes it painfully obvious it is hacked.

There always seems to be a guy at the top of mine who has 20 million more points than anyone else.

The leaderboard is the same for everyone, it is all users via Steam who have scored points on the game and it is a lot more than 20 million points more than anyone else... close to 2 billion more than anyone else.

"Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?

Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.

Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?

Ty Webb: By height. "

I really don't have time while playing FM to worry about how some random anonymous person's score using an arbitrary scoring method compares to mine. As long as my team keeps winning and I keep my job, what they're doing doesn't interest me.

"Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?

Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.

Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?

Ty Webb: By height. "

I really don't have time while playing FM to worry about how some random anonymous person's score using an arbitrary scoring method compares to mine. As long as my team keeps winning and I keep my job, what they're doing doesn't interest me.

I think you missed the bolded part of the first post that was written just for you... I am hoping to get feedback from the very few who do care. I am certain I am not the only one who is interested in how it works.

• 1 month later...
So, I just can't be the only one who has looked at the all-time leaderboards for FM14 and thought "wtf" to the top few users. They are the same few who were at or near the top last year and it seems pretty obvious they have found some way to exploit the system. I've been on a bit of a quest lately to understand the scoring on the leaderboard, and I have found some really interesting results. Obvious things like wins are worth more than draws which are worth more than losses, but the fact each game is worth points interested me. Learning that you cannot edit anything for scores to count was pretty interesting too.

I know a LOT of you simply don't care about this at all, but I am not posting to you who do not care, so please just pass this by, thank you :)

Does anyone else out there have any insight on leaderboards and how they work? How we score? I mean, some things are simple, winning bigger tournaments with smaller teams is the way to get big points but I am looking for small nuances like say, just how many points is your save docked for using certain unloackables in FMC mode? - I learned quickly that hotseat games accumulate no points, which makes perfect sense! This was the end of hotseat games in my house :p

Thoughts, insights and relevant information would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has any to offer.

After hours of trial and error, I knew how they got there because I managed to earn 4 million points in the space of like 2.5 hrs? Just to share a few things:

1. If you bought the version of 'In-Game Editor' provided by SI and you activated that in the game, you earn lesser or no points at all for your save game ever.

2. You definitely need the help of FMRTE. Because you have to win every game.

3. You need to have a Skin that have a 'Instant Result' button created just like FMC style.

4. You have to win the league and all competitions entered possible. But it is very tedious as each season is long. So...you should know what you should do.

I personally do not recommend playing the game this way. But if you want to shoot yourself up the leaderboard like that "Super Bolla" kid whom I noticed seem to get 2 million points every 2 hrs, then that's the way to play.

I have "wondered", but to be honest I just don't care.

If I reloaded every time I lost and had a "perfect" season, would I get loads of points?

I was on the way to my 3rd consecutive title with Partizan and looking for an undefeated domestic season. I lost away to Cuckarucki, (or whoever), and immediately resigned in embarrassment. I could have reloaded and got loads of points but...... why?:confused:

[Edit]

In terms of "who is the best" I'm surprised that there isn't more "Export Team for Versus competition" going on. Picking the same team from the same point in a particular save and both playing would seem to be the best way to judge how good you are against someone else. For some reason it doesn't seem to have taken off, (at least not in the SI forums). I was half expecting a whole separate forum in here for this.

Then I could go and get absolutely hammered by the legend that is SKELETOR. :lol:

In terms of "who is the best" I'm surprised that there isn't more "Export Team for Versus competition" going on. Picking the same team from the same point in a particular save and both playing would seem to be the best way to judge how good you are against someone else. For some reason it doesn't seem to have taken off, (at least not in the SI forums). I was half expecting a whole separate forum in here for this.

I played a few matches on FM14 with this feature, but I was shocked at how little interest there was in it. We had planned tournaments in the careers forum but they just never seemed to happen.

Maybe a 'winner stays on' type thread in GD might get a bit of interest going in this?

We had planned tournaments in the careers forum but they just never seemed to happen.

The trouble was with so many people with different schedules (and different time zones in the case of a few Canadians and New Zealanders), managing to find a time that suited everyone or even more than a few people was near impossible. I did manage to organize a 4-player league tournament while was great fun while it lasted but the guy who was hosting lost connection just as the 3rd round was beginning (and played on without us) and as we'd all technically played each other once and there was a clear leader we decided there wasn't much point in continuing. There were a few head-to-head games between people so there is some interest, it's mainly about practical issues.

I have "wondered", but to be honest I just don't care.

If I reloaded every time I lost and had a "perfect" season, would I get loads of points?

I was on the way to my 3rd consecutive title with Partizan and looking for an undefeated domestic season. I lost away to Cuckarucki, (or whoever), and immediately resigned in embarrassment. I could have reloaded and got loads of points but...... why?:confused:

[Edit]

Then I could go and get absolutely hammered by the legend that is SKELETOR. :lol:

Hi bro, the idea of not losing the whole season or not does not matter if your only wish is to climb up the leaderboard thingy. The important thing is how soon you can win your next league or cup. If you are winning the English League for example, you may earn as much as 750k leaderboard points as the league reputation is the best in the region.

And also, playing FMC mode seemed to have some sort of demerit as I guessed they feel it's only right since it disregards training, team-talk etc etc... Meaning you will not earn same or more points in FMC as compared to Full Mode by winning the same league or competitions.

Another point to note is why FMRTE? I bet you knew without FMRTE you still can force win games by saving game before match and restart save if you did not win. But if you do that, you will not earn any points as it's something like a second shot at the cup final or something. I do not know if it's intended to be like that by the developers or it's a bug. I noticed that when I lost UCL final on one of my games, and then I restarted and only saved the game provided I won. The points merely moved by 80k+.

So you need FMRTE to force win matches at one go.

I played a few matches on FM14 with this feature, but I was shocked at how little interest there was in it. We had planned tournaments in the careers forum but they just never seemed to happen.

Maybe a 'winner stays on' type thread in GD might get a bit of interest going in this?

This kind of thing I guess will not work unless you really want to match yourself with cheaters. I mean I wanted a decent online game but was not able to find one decent host. They were either playing the game with editors or FM Scout. I once took charge of Barcelona and found my Messi had already joined that host's Real Madrid team. I think if SI can come up with a dedicated server with SI managing the game database, only then this 'Export Versus' thing will take off. I mean like those MMO online games where cheating is managed by their anti-cheat system.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah I was just wondering about this as well... I've just finished a season in which I won the EPL and Champions League, although didn't do especially well in the domestic cups, but also won the World Club Championship, Community Shield and Euro Super Cup. So a pretty good season really.

I scored just under 2 million points. The guy top of the leaderboard for a single season in the EPL (Super Bolla) scored over 350 million. How can he possibly have had a season nearly 200 times better than mine?

Yeah I was just wondering about this as well... I've just finished a season in which I won the EPL and Champions League, although didn't do especially well in the domestic cups, but also won the World Club Championship, Community Shield and Euro Super Cup. So a pretty good season really.

I scored just under 2 million points. The guy top of the leaderboard for a single season in the EPL (Super Bolla) scored over 350 million. How can he possibly have had a season nearly 200 times better than mine?

Because he presumably reloads each match until he wins every single game by a considerable margin, or finds some other exploit to score high. Seems a pretty pointless way to spend your time, but each to their own.

He uses an editor, boosts his own team and destroys the other team in the editor, makes sure his team has a low rep so every match is worth max points to win and does this and wins everything. It is pointless but it was easy for me to figure out simply by watching the value of each game as I played through. It is sad how useless it renders the leaderboards, it would be nice if they were legit because I enjoy playing unedited games that score points and seeing how it matches up, but knowing I can never have a real comparison because of all the cheaters is sad and renders the leaderboards useless.

He uses an editor, boosts his own team and destroys the other team in the editor, makes sure his team has a low rep so every match is worth max points to win and does this and wins everything. It is pointless but it was easy for me to figure out simply by watching the value of each game as I played through. It is sad how useless it renders the leaderboards, it would be nice if they were legit because I enjoy playing unedited games that score points and seeing how it matches up, but knowing I can never have a real comparison because of all the cheaters is sad and renders the leaderboards useless.

And I thought my life was sad!

• 3 months later...

Super Bolla back at the top again... after only an hour. I am really ticked this did not get fixed or addressed. Just do away with it if you are going to allow cheaters to top the thing every season.

Super Bolla back at the top again... after only an hour. I am really ticked this did not get fixed or addressed. Just do away with it if you are going to allow cheaters to top the thing every season.

It's probably one of two things

1) They didn't think it was an important enough feature to warrant spending a lot of time on

2) There isn't an easy way to fix it.

I'm sure I read that one way to do it is to save/reload again and again until you get the results you need. I could be making that up, but if that's the case, then what exactly can they do to stop that? How do they tell whether or not someone is just genuinely reloading or trying to cheat?

I imagine there's a multitude of ways to "hack" it, and if SI fixed one, they'd either miss a few or new ones would be found.

EDIT: Just noticed you mentioned the editor. I thought they'd blocked that off from appearing on the leaderboard?

EDIT2: SuperBolla down to number 2 now...yass!

all anyone needs to do is to edit their finances, buy a great team, then go on holiday. I agree its frustrating and for the majority it spoils it as people like to see where they fare against likeminded non cheating fellow FM'rs. As in real life its often the minority that spoil it for the majority

It's probably one of two things

1) They didn't think it was an important enough feature to warrant spending a lot of time on

2) There isn't an easy way to fix it.

I'm sure I read that one way to do it is to save/reload again and again until you get the results you need. I could be making that up, but if that's the case, then what exactly can they do to stop that? How do they tell whether or not someone is just genuinely reloading or trying to cheat?

I imagine there's a multitude of ways to "hack" it, and if SI fixed one, they'd either miss a few or new ones would be found.

EDIT: Just noticed you mentioned the editor. I thought they'd blocked that off from appearing on the leaderboard?

EDIT2: SuperBolla down to number 2 now...yass!

I posted before above how it is happeneing. Post #18. The editor is FMRTE.

all anyone needs to do is to edit their finances, buy a great team, then go on holiday. I agree its frustrating and for the majority it spoils it as people like to see where they fare against likeminded non cheating fellow FM'rs. As in real life its often the minority that spoil it for the majority

You do not get points when on holiday.

To me, the issue is FMRTE and even FMEL which even allowed hacking of FMC! It is complete garbage that should not be allowed. At this point FMRTE does not have a single feature that the in game editor does not, so why does it even exist? It's only application at this point is to allow people to cheat and still count on the leaderboards, there is no other use for it anymore.

To me, the issue is FMRTE and even FMEL which even allowed hacking of FMC! It is complete garbage that should not be allowed. At this point FMRTE does not have a single feature that the in game editor does not, so why does it even exist? It's only application at this point is to allow people to cheat and still count on the leaderboards, there is no other use for it anymore.

It exists as an alternative. There's nothing to say it shouldn't exist, although I am surprised that SI haven't cracked down on it since the guy started charging. I think it's been discussed before though, and that the guy is allowed to charge, but could be wrong.

Could be the way that it edits the data, it isn't possible to exclude its use from leaderboards. Either that or they just don't care enough to fix it.

It exists as an alternative. There's nothing to say it shouldn't exist, although I am surprised that SI haven't cracked down on it since the guy started charging. I think it's been discussed before though, and that the guy is allowed to charge, but could be wrong.

Could be the way that it edits the data, it isn't possible to exclude its use from leaderboards. Either that or they just don't care enough to fix it.

My bet would be the latter, which is a shame. Players who use any editing should not be allowed to benefit on the leaderboards, it renders the entire thing useless.

• 11 months later...
Out of curiosity, of those of you not employing Lance Armstrong tactics.... What ranking are you?

60th (although that was a day or so ago now) in the Italian single season (with just under 98000 points)

Won - Serie A (90 points), Italian Super Cup

Runner Up - Italian Cup (eliminated on pens by 2nd placed Roma)

CL - eliminated first knockout by Barcelona (having finished 2nd in the group behind Galatasaray)

Season - 11 draws, 8 defeats, Rest were wins (not by a lot though, think I only scored 4 once)

I'd just like to know the points so I can work on it for myself

Archived