How much for your women? They're a Tenerife!

Deisler26

CD_Tenerife_logo.svg

C.D Tenerife S.A.D

Club Deportivo Tenerife was founded in 1912, but some earlier documents show the existence of Sporting Club Tenerife, which could have been the club's precursor. La Liga started in 1928, but the team played in regional divisions until it was promoted to Segunda División in 1953; it first reached the top flight in 1961, being immediately relegated back and, in the following 27 years, played almost exclusively in the second level, also spending three years in Tercera División and six – five in a row – in Segunda División B, the newly created division three (in 1978).

In 1985, when Tenerife were relegated to the third division for a second time, Javier Pérez became president of the club. The side was promoted this year to the second level and, two years later, returned to the first, after winning the promotion playoff against Real Betis (4–1 on aggregate).

In 1991 Jorge Valdano took charge of the club as manager, and the Argentine would help rob former side Real Madrid of two consecutive league titles in the last round, to the benefit of FC Barcelona; in the first season the Canary Islands outfit barely avoided relegation, but would finish in a best-ever fifth position in the following year, eventually reaching the round-of-16 in the subsequent UEFA Cup, losing to Juventus FC 2–4 on aggregate.

German Jupp Heynckes became coach of Tenerife in 1995, leading the club to another fifth position and the quarterfinals of the domestic cup. In the 1996–97 UEFA Cup the islanders fared better, reaching the last-four after defeating Maccabi Tel Aviv FC, S.S. Lazio, Feyenoord and Brøndby IF (the winner coming late in extra time from an Antonio Mata free kick), only bowing out to eventual winners FC Schalke 04.

Tenerife then went on a downward spiral which eventually led to relegation to the "silver category" in 1999, prompting various managerial changes within the club. In 2001 the club was again promoted, led by Rafael Benítez, who promptly left to take up the manager's job at Valencia CF; the promotion was achieved in the last match of the campaign, thanks to a goal from Hugo Morales.

Match: Tenerife – Real Sociedad, in 2008

Pepe Mel became the new trainer but the first division season never took off, as Tenerife were beaten heavily at home by Barcelona 0–6, which cost the manager his job. Javier Clemente, formerly with the Spanish national team, took the reins, but could not help prevent the eventual immediate relegation.

Tenerife suffered from serious economic problems in the following years, owing more than €40 million. President Pérez was replaced with Víctor Perez de Ascanio, who resigned due to bad management, leaving his position to Miguel Concepción, who negotiated with local politicians and businessmen, also creating a construction company as a subsidiary of the side.

On 13 June 2009 Tenerife secured a top flight return after a seven-year absence, after a 1–0 win at Girona FC. In the following season, even though the team held on until the last round, another relegation befell, after the 0–1 loss at third-placed Valencia.

2010–11 brought with it three coaching changes,[1] as Tenerife eventually suffered another relegation, returning to the third division after 24 years. On 2 June 2013 the club, led by Álvaro Cervera, returned to the second level after winning the promotion playoff against CE L'Hospitalet (3–2 on aggregate).

(Information from Wikipedia)

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Running 14.1.2, with English (down to Skrill N/S) leagues as view-only and all French, German, Italian, Spanish leagues as active)

Tenerifestart_zpsa3f5248f.jpg

Welp. Here we are. My (hopefully only) FM14 career. I severely struggled with FM13, failing to get into it at any point and seriously struggling with tactics. So, here it is. I'll be trying to take Tenerife to glory, mainly by trying to do it with youth and Spanish only.

Enjoy the ride!

Tenerife became popular in Spain in 1992. Why?

1991-1992. Last round of the league. Madrid have 54 points. Barça have 53. (it was back in the time you got 2 points for winning, 1 for draw). Tenerife-Madrid and Barça-At Bilbao. Madrid start winning 0-2, but Tenerife in an epic comeback wins 3-2. Barça beats Bilbao 2-0. Barça wins the league!

This was the beginning of the actual Barça, with Cruyff as coach, setting the basics for tiki taka, developing from youth, winning their first european cup. Maybe if Tenerife had lost this game story would be different today. This 3-2 against Madrid gave Tenerife a name in Spain, they became quite popular (unpopular in other places)

1992-1993. Last round of league Tenerife plays... Madrid! Madrid has 57 points. Barça has 56. Can history be repeated by modest Tenerife? Indeed! They beat Madrid 2-0. Barça beat Real Sociedad 1-0, with a goal by Stoichkov.

vpwwuq.jpg

C.D Tenerife

2013/14 Pre-Season

After a few crash dumps, I finally managed to get to the first game of the season.

I was given a brief to make mid-table obscurity on a transfer budget of £42.26k & a wage budget of £74.68k. Gonna be tough.

I bugged the board for a feeder club, a parent club and improvements to the youth coaching system. All of which were granted. I also changed some of the philosophies of the club, in that we would try to develop our own youth players & buy players from Spain. Again, the board seemed remarkably receptive to these requests. I also sacked virtually all the staff and replaced them with better candiates, along with a lot of the feeder club links were severed.

Training Camp was held in France and, results-wise, we lost 0-4 to Hyeres FC in an absolute horror show, but then took Pacy Menilles FC to school with a 6-1 win. Our final match was a 0-2 defeat to Valenciennes FC. Coming home, we had enough time to beat feeder team San Isidro 3-1.

Player-wise, I was lucky in that I had some players leave the club in Luismi Loro, free-transferred, due to his complete lack of fitting into my tactical setup. Also leaving were AM RL Chechu who was signed by CFR Cluj for £145k. Then AMR Suso was signed for £250k by FC Sochaux. I also sent down a number of players that wouldn't play into Tenerife 'B'.

Incoming was DC Pablo Ibanez, a rock from the old Bilbao side of a few years ago, on a free and a number of loans. GK Tomas Mejias from Real Madrid & DC Dedryck Boyata from Man City came in, along with the Arsenal pair MC Emmanuel Frimpong & M/AMLC Samuel Galindo.

I don't think I'll be picking up anyone else, but I do have my DoF out searching for players so, never say never!

Here's to the season! Salud!

Heh! Well, AK22, I might need that beach sooner than I thought!!!

3 games into the season and I'm abandoning the 4-4-1-1 as we gave up a 2-0 lead against Alcororan to draw 2-2, then lost 1-4 twice in a row! SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE!!!!

I haven't really checked tbh. Been more absorbed with the tactics problem. Lot of B Team players doesn't help.

Fair enough. From the little experience I have of the lower leagues in Spain, I seem to recall crowds being pretty low... so I thought a yearly wage bill of nearly £4m might cause a few issues down the line...

vpwwuq.jpg

C.D Tenerife

August 2013/14 Transfer Window

Well, the month of August provided a few surprises, not least that my 4-4-1-1 went down with all hands on deck.

We played three games in August, taking a 2-0 lead over Alcorcon through Aridane & Dedryck Boyata, but we collapsed in the last ten mins to draw 2-2. These collapses continued as we allowed 4 goals in 5 SOT in a 1-4 defeat against Hercules CF with only an Oscar Rico goal as consolation. The rot continued with another 1-4 defeat against Mirandes. Carlos Exposito getting a goal in his debut with a wonderful free-kick. We need to change and fast.

Affiliate-wise, we signed deals with Romania's Universitatea Cluj (feeder club) & FC Barcelona (parent).

As we were sinking without a trace, I kinda panicked in the transfer market, signing D/WB/M/AMR Carlos Exposito from Levante B for £160k,along with D/WB/M/AML Cristian Lobato on a free after being released by Barcelona. My Head of Youth Developemnt also signed AMRL/ST Dani Pereira & DC Valentin Rey as youth prospects.

Here's to the next transfer window...

vpwwuq.jpg

C.D Tenerife S.A.D

End of 2013

Well. it's been a tough year. The defending issues of this release have really bitten me in the arse.

Aug-Jan1314_zps2e02184b.jpg

As you can see, we've had a lot more lows than highs! After our horrid August, a 2-1 Copa Del Rey win over Real Murcia seemed just the tonic. Especially as we followed it up with a 2-1 in the league over Real Zaragoza. Sadly, a recurring theme was to pop up. My wins over C.D Lugo, Deportivo La Coruna& S.D Eibar were all over mid table teams, where as if I played a team who were languishing in the bottom three, I would inevitably lose. Case in point, I am the only team to give Barcelona 'B' a win. Despite pounding their goal, they beat us with an own goal.

My two worst results have to be the 3-7 defeat to Real Mallorca & the 0-5 defest to D.Alaves. Both games were close up til the 60th or so minute, then the defence just decided to go AWOL....

Formation-wise, the 20+ shots against per game was wearing thin by the 3-7 defeat. So, in my torment, I downloaded a tactic which bought me 2 wins in 3 games, but I just couldn't hold with getting through on someone's else's work. So I rolledup my sleeves, sought help, and am still trying to this point lol..

Jan2014_zps025f9354.jpg

As you can see, we're tenuous. The odd win tends to be swallowed up by a team in the relegation zone winning, so we're inserious trouble. But the board seem happy, despite seeing my name at 3/1 for the sack!!!

Trasnfers

I sold off a lot of expiring contracts. GK Sergio Aragonneses was shipped out to A.D Alcorcon for £30k, DM/MC Aitor Sanz was shipped out to Albacete Balompie for £20k and DM/MC Ricardo was shipped out to Racing Club Ferrol for £25k. Finally, D/WBL Raul Llorente was sold to Racing Santander for a princely £100k.

This money gained, plus the near-on £10k in wages funded a massive raid on FC Barcelona. Having given up the ghost with their 'B' team it seems, I managed to snatch ML/AMRL Dani Nieto for £300k over 48 months, AMRC Joan Angel Roman for £250k over 48mths and with an immediate loan back and DC Sergi Gomez for £150k over 48 months. Finally I picked up GK Oler Olazabal on loan to cover the departed Aragonneses. I also picked up veteran MC Ruben Palazuelos on a free transfer.

I think we're gonna have it realllllly tough now til the end of the season, but I hope we end up still in Liga Adelante...

vpwwuq.jpg

C.D Tenerife S.A.D

End of 2013/2014 Season

Welp. That season sucked. We couldn't get any sort of rhythm going at all and by the end, I was just praying for it to finish... I was given a new 2-year deal by the chairman though, so that's something.

2013-14fixtures_zpsec3512ba.jpg

As you can see, a lot of red again. Worst of the lost was the 3-4 defeat to Racing Jaen C.F as I was 3-0 up at HT and conceded the final goal on 95 mins. The run of three games where we lost 0-5, 0-4 & 0-3 wasn't too pleasant either. Better memories were the 4-0 thrashing of Barcelona 'B', with Dani Pereira getting 4 & the 5-0 demolition of S.D Eibar, again, courtesy of a Dani Pereira quad.

5+ week injuries to Ruben Palazuelos & Dani Nieto with 6 games to go really put the skids under us, however, the 4-2 win over Real Murcia was the one that clinched survival and I truly hope it wont be as close again this season... Sadly, there's not a lot I can say about this season, purely as we were so dire. I'm hoping it was just first season jitters and we end up fighting back next season.

2013-14finish_zps630cc358.jpg

Ironically, we did far better against teams at the top of the league than at the bottom. That might be something to register for next season...

Archived