Perth Glory

Brisbane Roar

Western Sydney Wanderers

Newcastle Jets

Sydney FC

Central Coast Mariners

A- League Format

Regular season

The regular season runs mainly during the Australian summer, from early October to February of the following year. The competition consists of 27 matches over 25 weeks, with each team playing every other team three times. The teams allotted two home matches against an opponent in one season are allotted one home match against that opponent in the following season. Each match sees the winning team awarded three competition points, with one point each for a draw. At the end of the season the teams are ranked firstly by competition points accumulated, then goal difference, total goals scored, head-to-head records between tying teams and finally the number of cards each team has received. The club at the top of this ladder is crowned A-League Premiers, and as of the 2006–07 season, will be entered into the AFC Champions League. Since 2012 the next best non-qualifying team will enter the ACL at the qualifying stages.

At the completion of the regular season teams are ranked from one to ten with the top six teams progressing to the finals series. The position of each team is determined by the highest number of points accumulated during the Regular Season. If two or more teams are level on points, the following criteria are applied in order until one of the teams can be determined as the higher ranked:

1. Highest goal difference;
  2. Highest number of goals scored;
  3. Highest number of points accumulated in matches between the teams concerned;
  4. Highest goal difference in matches between the teams concerned;
  5. Highest number of goals scored in matches between the teams concerned;
  6. Lowest number of red cards accumulated;
  7. Lowest number of yellow cards accumulated;
  8. Toss of a coin.

Finals series

The top six teams at the end of the regular season are entered into a finals series, where the top two ranked teams in the regular season compete over two legs (with ties decided by the away goals rule, including extra time), the winner progressing straight to and hosting the Grand Final.

On the same weekend, the third and sixth-ranked teams play each other, the same for the fourth and fifth-ranked teams. The winners of these matches play each other, the winner of which goes ahead to play in a Preliminary Final against the loser of the two-legged match between the top two teams. The winner of this match progresses to the Grand Final. As of the 2006–07 season, this team will also contest the AFC Champions League, although if the team that wins the Premiership goes through to the Grand Final then the other Grand Final competitor will be awarded the second spot in the competition, win or lose. In previous seasons the finals series had four teams, and has been extended to accommodate for the increased number of clubs in the competition.

Squad and salary cap

An A-League squad has a maximum 23 players, with a maximum of 5 players from outside Australia (and New Zealand, in the case of Wellington Phoenix). The squad must also include at least three under-20 players.

For the 2012–13 season, each club has a salary cap of A$2.48 million (excluding Marquee, guest and replacement players). The minimum salary is A$48,507.

Marquee player

In order to combat fears that the salary cap would reduce the capacity of the clubs to attract crowds through big-name players, the league allows each team to have one "marquee" player, whose salary is exempt from the salary cap. Arguably the best-known example of a marquee player in the A-League was when Italian and Juventus legend Alessandro Del Piero signed for Sydney FC, on a two-year four million dollar deal, beginning in the 2012-13 season. From the 2008–09 season, A-League clubs may have a Junior Marquee player who is under the age of 23. The Junior Marquee can be paid up to A$150,000 above the salary cap. On 19 April 2010 the A-League announced that in addition to marquee players and junior marquee, the 2010–11 season would also allow for an Australian marquee player.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Club

[/TD]

[TD]Australian Marquee[/TD]

[TD]Marquee[/TD]

[TD]Junior Marquee[/TD]

[TD]Captain[/TD]

[TD]Vice Captain[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Adelaide United

[/TD]

[TD]Dario Vidosic[/TD]

[TD]Sergio van Dijk[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Eugene Galekovic[/TD]

[TD]Cassio[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Brisbane Roar[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Thomas Broich[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Matt Smith[/TD]

[TD]Shane Stefanutto[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Central Coast Mariners[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Oliver Bozanic[/TD]

[TD]John Hutchinson[/TD]

[TD]Patrick Zwaanswijk[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Melbourne Heart[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Fred[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Fred[/TD]

[TD]Matt Thompson[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Melbourne Victory[/TD]

[TD]Archie Thompson[/TD]

[TD]Marco Flores[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Adrian Leijer[/TD]

[TD]Archie Thompson[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Newcastle Jets[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Emile Heskey[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Jobe Wheelhouse[/TD]

[TD]Ryan Griffiths[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Perth Glory[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Shane Smeltz[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Jacob Burns[/TD]

[TD]Michael Thwaite[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Sydney FC[/TD]

[TD]Brett Emerton[/TD]

[TD]Alessandro Del Piero[/TD]

[TD]Terry Antonis[/TD]

[TD]Terry McFlynn[/TD]

[TD]Brett Emerton[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Wellington Phoenix[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Andrew Durante[/TD]

[TD]Ben Sigmund[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Western Sydney Wanderers[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Shinji Ono[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Michael Beauchamp[/TD]

[TD]Tarek Elrich[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

A-League in Football Manager 2013

There are a few tricks to playing the A-League in FM13. You will see this advice in all the team threads I create for A-League teams. The key to being successful is to keep the wages low and sign good youth. There are a lot of overseas Australian youngsters who will be willing to come home to Australia in the future so keep an eye on that.

During the first season I would recomend scouting Asia. The reason being upon qualifying for the Asian Champions League you are allowed one extra visa player who is of Asian decent. Set 5 scouts to the regions of Asia (1 each). Set another scouting mission to 'World - roaming' looking for Australians. This way you shouldn't miss any gems.

After your first season have a player filter set to all players in Australia under 16, then get one of your scouts to provide you with a player report on the 200-300 players that come up. This will keep you on top of all the players that could become stars for your club.

The other thing to keep an eye on is players coming out of contract. Make sure you have a filter set to Australian's coming out of contract and one to world players coming out of contract. Players coming out of contract after season one include:

Brad Jones

Michael Zullo

Mark Schwarzer

Brent McGrath

Ryan McGowan

Alex Cisak

Lucas Neill

Bailey Wright

Adam Sarota

Josip Simunic

James Holland

Kerem Bulut

Dean Bouzanis

Scott Chipperfield

Dylan McGowan

Jackson Irvine

Liam Jacob

Nick Feely

Ryan Marveggio

Robert Stambolziev

This list is by no means extensive but they are Australians I try and sign. Once out of contract they don't ask to be marquees.

Make sure you only sign players to the contract length you need them for. You cannot sell players to other A-League clubs so it can be hard to move some players on.

Remember, at the moment players under 21 don't need to be registered. Take advantage of this as I see it changing very soon. If you don't register players who are over 21 they are released.

If you choose to play as Wellington make sure you do all the above with New Zealander players as well. They don't count as visa players for Wellington.

Finally, generally you can only scout a few regions so set your scouts to roam these areas. It should keep you on top of any potential signings that would like to sign with you.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet, time to kick off my Sydney FC game.

Alot of aussies playing in england that aren't EU nationals pretty much won't sign a new contract cause they can't get a work permit.

Like Dylan Tombides will be free after 1st season,

nice thread... i hope more people take up the mantle of a team in the A league

Exactly what I am hoping. Eventually there will be a thread for each team (all linked at the top) to help anyone wishing to start a game in Australia

Firstly, great thread, its good to see the world game growing in Australia, crowd attendances are up and although the level of football still isn't great, slowly but surely we're getting more exposure.

Lol :D

He was such a donkey in the premier league...

155 goals in the EPL and 62 Caps for his country, just because he didn't score 40 goals a season didn't make him a donkey. Yes, his finishing left alot to be desired, but i remember reading a stat that England won over 80% of their games when Heskey played, compared to less then 50% without him during the same era. To often we judge strikers on their ability to put the ball in the net, and not on their ability to work within a team structure and do whats best for the team. Take a look at Torres, one of the best strikers in the world, but if he's not scoring he's useless. Personally, i think the bloke is a superstar, a traditional English Center Forward/Target Man, feeding in his smaller, pacier striker.

Harry won't move to any club in the game cause in the editor it has him set to retire at current club and since he has no club he won't join anyone. If you go in and untick the retire option in the editor he is open to join clubs

Firstly, great thread, its good to see the world game growing in Australia, crowd attendances are up and although the level of football still isn't great, slowly but surely we're getting more exposure.

155 goals in the EPL and 62 Caps for his country, just because he didn't score 40 goals a season didn't make him a donkey. Yes, his finishing left alot to be desired, but i remember reading a stat that England won over 80% of their games when Heskey played, compared to less then 50% without him during the same era. To often we judge strikers on their ability to put the ball in the net, and not on their ability to work within a team structure and do whats best for the team. Take a look at Torres, one of the best strikers in the world, but if he's not scoring he's useless. Personally, i think the bloke is a superstar, a traditional English Center Forward/Target Man, feeding in his smaller, pacier striker.

That must be why we're so terrible at international competitions. Hes labelled as a striker and in 62 appearances he scored 7 times, and yes he scored here and there in the league - the most he ever managed was 14, which isn't a bad tally but thats once in a 20 year career. I'd hardly call him a superstar based on talent alone. Also, its 117 goals in the EPL, the rest being cup games. Conversely another England striker around the same time - Andy Cole - had 229 goals in 509 league apps, of which I'm sure some are Championship towards the end - but his stats at United alone are impressive enough.

Not really sure why Heskey gets immortal status off you when there are a whole load of better English strikers around that time. Alan Shearer anyone?

Anyway! Aussie leagues I've never tried before, I might have to give them a whirl at some point. I imagine them to be fairly similar to the Canadian/American MLS, or is the sport much higher profile there?

After the first season I have a team salary of around $A1.6million and the salary cap is around $A2.6million per season

I have just tried to sign Rory Delap to my international Marquee contract at a sum of $1million per season.

All the paper work goes through but then I recieve the following message:

Delap transfer cancelled

The transfer Of Rory Delap to Adelaide United has been cancelled.

The Total salary of the squad Excluding marquee players(Meaning they are outside of the salary cap) must be less than $2.6million.

Im assuming the game isnt recognizing the marquee contract and is just adding the contract to the teams salary (would make it 2.8mill)

anyone else?

workarounds?

What's the go with we have to release players that don't end up registering? Previous versions you didn't have to do this.

Sometimes I de-registered a player but 6 months later he was back and ready to play again. It's also pretty hard to loan players out.

You're only allowed 23 players in an A-League squad. Anyone not registered is considered outside the limit and as such is released

Yeah I realise, but in previous versions they didn't get released they just played in the reserves.

You're only allowed 23 players in an A-League squad. Anyone not registered is considered outside the limit and as such is released
Yeah I realise, but in previous versions they didn't get released they just played in the reserves.

It's been changed this year as it isn't realistic for squads to have players who are not registered. The game doesn't support static caps so this is the next best option.

• 2 weeks later...

mate that is correct, but you will notice alot of decent players for a league standard get released by the club they are currently at, for example after first season in my game, i was looking though the players let go by the respective clubs and rogic, ryan and sainsbury had been let go by central coast, point been after every transfer window have a look through players released by their clubs you will find diamonds

Bulut seems to be getting a fair crack. Joel Griffiths is available half way through the first season. Antonis, Rogic, Petratos, Ryan, Fitzgerald, Portaloo etc are available on free transfers for season 2.

Also I reckon that Rogic is vastly underated in potential (4 star, should be 5) and Petratos is over-rated in potential.

Look out for under 20 youths coming off contract in Europe. I picked up Joshua King from Man U. He's a gun striker in MV's second season.

Central Coast Mariners in the A-League. South Melbourne, Sydney United and Sydney Olympic have youth facilities and youth recruitment equal to Man U (set at 20). However, those three teams are not playable and are semi-pro. I always scout their young players and often find 17 year old gems.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be having problems with Junior Marquee players. When trying to sign one, or renew a contract it puts in automatically puts in a minimum release clause at some stupidly low amount. It's usually £5,000 or in one case £0. Not able to remove it, or change the size. Any ideas?

I seem to be having problems with Junior Marquee players. When trying to sign one, or renew a contract it puts in automatically puts in a minimum release clause at some stupidly low amount. It's usually £5,000 or in one case £0. Not able to remove it, or change the size. Any ideas?

It's a bug. Should be fixed with the patch

played my 1st game and ive gone with a 5-2-3 flat formation ..i destroyed Cheat Fc 3-0 with smeltzy scoring a hattrick , doesnt get any sweeter than that, more to follow

Dylan Tombides went to Perth Glory on my save because I couldn't re-sign him due to work permit issues. Disappointing because I really wanted to keep him on the books.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been looking to try a new challenge recently and after traveling Australia last summer I am keen to give the A-League a go. Is anyone able to provide some information on Brisbane Roar?
yeh sure tom .....brisabne roar are the biggest bunch of cheaters in the history of the A league and hes why

yeh sure tom .....brisabne roar are the biggest bunch of cheaters in the history of the A league and hes why

To be fair, Berisha is an absolute scum bag. I don't think any other player on the Roar would have gone down.

To be fair, Berisha is an absolute scum bag. I don't think any other player on the Roar would have gone down.

im glad you agree mate ..berisha is an utter dog ...he is the scum of brisabne and has given roat a bad name for it ....even there fans on grand final day last year said it was shocking what he did .every1 is against him the cheating so so

• 1 month later...

Decided to try the A-League for something different and went with the obvious choice of Sydney FC due to having star names such as Del Piero and Emerton already at the club (im a sucker for names!)

Anyway, going into it a bit blind and not really understanding the rules.. I decided to hunt the free agent market and snapped up the following:

Hernan Crespo - OK he's old, but he should do a job alongside Del Piero.

Bolo Zenden - Another hero from yesteryear, but I wanted something better out wide and he should be able to provide some quality.

Ferrie Bodde - He used to be good for Swansea so was surprised he was on a free. At 30, he has the attributes and talent to still be a solid presence, especially at this level.

Then I added a gaggle of Australians:

Ljubo Milicevic - 31 year old defender

Kasey Wehrman - Veteran midfielder to add cover

Chris Coyne - I remember him playing in England, so his experience will help.

Jason Culina - ex- Sydney I believe and imo still good enough

Vince Grella -!! Another who I wouldn't have thought would be here, but happy to have his experience and quality in the middle

Nathan Coe - International keeper

Joel Porter - Gives some depth to the Strikers

Angelo Costanzo - Another oldie but I needed cover on the cheap

Ive only been able to register 18 players... will be tough if injuries creep in, but im hoping to achieve a playoff place and then take it from there.

• 2 weeks later...

How are people going with the A League these days? I'm thinking of starting a save with the Glory. Have most of the A League specific bugs been ironed out? I remember there was an issue with marquee contracts a couple of patches ago.

Archived