FM13: Melbourne Victory - Victory The Brave

nick1408

[h=2]FM12: Melbourne Victory - Victory The Brave![/h]

331pxmelbournevictorysv.png

Please note: some players and staff reviewed may not be at the club in-game, but they will be in the future. They moved to Victory after data deadline

On 1 November 2004, Melbourne Victory was unveiled as Melbourne's representative in the A-League, along with 7 other foundation clubs. Melbourne Victory is considered a broad-based club, appealing to all nationalities. The team colours — navy blue and white — are traditionally Victorian state colours.

Former Socceroo Gary Cole was hired as Football Operations Manager, and was soon joined by Ernie Merrick, appointed as head coach from the Victorian Institute of Sport (VIS).Archie Thompson, a then fringe player for the Socceroos who had been playing in Belgium with Lierse S.K., was the club's first player signing. The club soon signed three more internationals for the inaugural squad — then Socceroo Kevin Muscat, Austrian Richard Kitzbichler, and Belgian Geoffrey Claeys.

Club Information:

Fierce Rivals: Sydney FC, Adelaide United

Other Rivals: Melbourne Heart

Feeder Club: Bentleigh Greens, VTC Football, Tasmania NTC

Legends: Archie Thompson

Icons: Adrian Leijer

Favoured Personnel: Danny Allsopp

League: Hyundai A-League

Captain: Adrian Leijer

Finances:

Balance: GDP 3,767,362

Stadium & Training:

Ground: AAMI Park

Capacity: 30,050 all-seater

Training Facilities: Good Training Facilities

Youth Facilities: Average Youth Facilities

Staff:

Manager: Ange Postecoglou

Assistant Manager: Kevin Muscat

Goalkeeping Coach: Steve Mautone

Goalkeeping Coach: Dean Anastasiadis

Fitness Coach: Adam Basil

Fitness Coach: Peter Cklamovski

Fitness Coach: John Floros

Coach: Vaughan Coveny

Coach: Darren Davies

Various crap physios

Analysis

Coaching Staff

Basically, none are good enough. Kevin Muscat can do a job for a season at most but that's it. There isn't a general all round coach or a scout so there is the first vital signing for the team. Use your filters and pretty much sign someone who is willing to come. Aim for 4 stars I usually go for the following:

Coach: Marcial (Jose de Ribamar da Silva Miranda Filho)

Coach: Marcos Fernando

Assistant: Adolfo Valencia

Steve Mautone will be able to hold down goalkeeping positions. Dean Anastasiadis is no good

Physios:

Sack all straight up. Replace then ASAP.

Scouts:

There are none! Sign some as soon as possible. I have no standout recommendations unfortunately..

When setting the scouts make sure you scout all the Asian regions. Asian players do not count as visa players when you get to the Asian Champions League. I also set a world scout when available to find only Australian players. This is due to the A-League only allowing five foreign players.

Squad:

(Players in itlalics are Nation Youth League team players)

Goalkeepers

Nathan Coe (will be at club in future patch)

Tando Velaphi

Lawrence Thomas

Defenders

Mark Milligan

Matthew Foschini

Adrian Leijer ©

Petar Franjic

Adama Traore

Spase Dilevski

Sam Gallagher

Daniel Chaabani

Kwabena Boahene

Nicholas Ansell

Midfielders

Marcos Flores (Marquee)

Leigh Broxham

Jonathan Bru

Guilherme Finkler

Billy Celeski

Diogo Ferreria

Isaka Cernak

Marco Rojas

Jimmy Jeggo

Luke O'Dea

Julius Davies

Luc Jeggo

John Buceto

Hernan Espindola

Dado Lokvancic

Andrew Nabbout (will be at club in future patch)

Strikers

Danny Allsopp (will be retired in future patch)

Archie Thompson (Australian Marquee)

Theo Markelis

Christopher Cristaldo

A good squad which should compete for the A-League but you will need to strengthen for Asia. Remember though, between winning the league and entering the ACL there are three transfer windows. One thing I like to do is once the season closes, loan all your players to overseas clubs. This does one of two things; a) keeps players fresh over a long off-season (April-October) and b) gets the wages off the total wage budget to help sign players. Also, by having Bentleigh Greens you have a local club which plays through the winter break who will be willing to take any of your players

Tip: Offer minimum wage and maximum bonues (sign on fees and agent fees) as this helps sign players and keep the wage under the salary cap.

Goalkeepers

A reasonablly strong area of the club. With the recent signing of Nathan Coe you will have one of the strongest keepers in the league. Until the patch with his signing is out Velaphi and Thomas will be able to fill the gap between the sticks. Both are of similar ability so it is up to you on who you choose. I tend to go with Thomas to help his progression.

Youngster to Watch: Lawrence Thomas

Recommended Signing: Nil

Recommended Sale: Nil

Right Backs

There are two players that could play here in your first season. Matthew Foschini and Spase Dilevski . Dilevski is more of a defensive midfielder and Foschini's stats are not flash. I go with Delevski as he has better stats than Foschini and also more experience. For January Danijel Georgievski becomes available for free and will be able to push for a first team spot. With the NYL team there are a few kids who may develop. Daniel Chaabani is probably the better prospect.

Youngster to Watch: Matthew Foschini

Recommended Signing: Danijel Georgievski

Recommended Sale: Matthew Foschini

Youth: Daniel Chaabani

Left Backs

Adama Traore is your mana here. A solid wing back who is really your only option. He has no backup so any free signings to either take over or provide support will help. Matthew Park and David Carney (depending on availability) are the best options.

Youngster to Watch:

Recommended Signing: David Carney, Matthew Park

Centre Backs

Adrian Leijer and Mark Milligan are the two here. Petar Franjic and Nicholas Ansell are the two young players to keep an eye on. Franjic does develop well but may take a while.

Youth: Petar Franjic, Nicholas Ansell

Right Midfielders/Wingers

Depending on how you want to play there are a few options. I like left footers on the right wing so Marco Rojas is my main player. Other left footers are Julius Davies. Guilherme Finkler can also cover here. On the youth side of things Christopher Cristaldo and Luke O'Dea can both play here but are probably better suited to other areas of the field. Not really an area you need to be scouting for.

Youth: Luke O'Dea, Christopher Cristaldo, Julius Davies

Left Midfielders
/Wingers

Young star Marco Rojas will make this spot his own. Play him and he will reward. Isaka Cernak can back up here as can Guilherme Finkler. Archie Thompson can provide a good right foot option if you choose to operate that way (I do). With Traore behind it is a very attacking side of the pitch.

Recommended Signing:

Recommended Sale: Isaka Cernak

Youngster to Watch: Marco Rojas

Central Midfielders

Leigh Broxham should be your first choice DMC. With Billy Celeski you have some pretty handy MC's. Jimmy Jeggo may come into the side depending on if you have a spot for him. I play Jeggo as a DLP with Broxham as the ball winner. Diogo Ferreria is also strong in these positions so not an area that needs a lot of attention but if Broxham and Ferreria don't develop be ready to replace them. Higher up the pitch Marcos Flores and Finkler will provide great options as AMC's. Flores as a treqtista and Finkler as an AM. Celeski is almost surplus but keep him for cover for at least the first season. I try to sell as he isn't really a needed player. Jonathan Bru hasn't been mentioned yet for a reason. I try and sell him but usually there are no takers. With the youth Locvancic and Nabbout are probably the only prospects.

Recommended Sale: Celeski, Jonathan Bru

Youngster to Watch: James Jeggo

Strikers

Archie Thompson is your only striker worth starting. Archie is a great poacher but age can catch up with him quickly. I retrain Marcos Flores into cover Archie. Danny Allsopp is too old so should be sold (will retire in a later patch). On the other hand a lot of good players become available after year one (see below) so keep an eye on them as well. Chris Cristaldo is your sole youth prospect. There are a lot of young Aussie prospects around so have a look and see who you like. I particulary like Marc Griffin from Dundalk.

Recommended Signing: Ernesto Lopez, Apostolos Giannou, Tomi Juric, Kerem Bulut, Marc Griffin

Recommended Sale: Allsopp

Youth: Cristaldo

Conclusion

Melbourne can play in a variety of formations. My preferred is a 4-2-3-1 with AML/AMR/AMC and two MC's. My formation looks like this:

Thomas/Coe

Delevski, Leijer, Milligan, Traore

Broxham, Jeggo

Rojas, Finkler, Thompson

Flores

The key to being successful is to keep the wages low and sign good youth. As Melbourne, you have the biggest support and one of the biggest stadiums in Australia so cash isn't a problem. As you have probably gathered, the starting youth is poor but this isn't a problem. There are a lot of overseas youngsters who will be willing to come home to Australia in the future so keep an eye on that.

During the first season I would recomend scouting Asia. With Melbourne you can hire 6 scouts so set 5 to the regions of Asia (1 each) and the 6th to somewhere you choose. Set another scouting mission to 'World - roaming' looking for Australians once the board allows. This way you won't miss any gems.

After your first season have a player filter set to all players in Australia under 16, then get one of your scouts to provide you with a player report on the 200-300 players that come up. This will keep you on top of all the players that could become stars for your club.

The other thing to keep an eye on is players coming out of contract. Make sure you have a filter set to Australian's coming out of contract and one to world players coming out of contract. Players coming out of contract that I have been able to sign after season one include:

Brad Jones

Michael Zullo

Mark Schwarzer

Brent McGrath

Ryan McGowan

Alex Cisak

Lucas Neill

Bailey Wright

Adam Sarota

Josip Simunic

James Holland

Kerem Bulut

Dean Bouzanis

Scott Chipperfield

Dylan McGowan

Jackson Irvine

Liam Jacob

Nick Feely

Ryan Marveggio

Robert Stambolziev

This list is by no means extensive but they are Australians I try and sign. Once out of contract they don't ask to be marquees. If wages are an issue wait until their contracts expire, take them on trial then offer them a wage. I find I am allowed to offer bigger wages if they are already on the books somehow.

Make sure you only sign players to the contract length you need them for. You cannot sell players to other A-League clubs so it can be hard to move some players on.

Remember, at the moment players under 21 don't need to be registered. Take advantage of this as I see it changing very soon. If you don't register players who are over 21 they are released.

Finally, generally you can only scout a few regions so set your scouts to roam these areas. It should keep you on top of any potential signings that would like to sign with you.

Welcome to the A-League

Very nice OP! :thup:

I haven't played the beta yet, but is Harry Kewell willing to come back to the A-League in the game? Or is it hardcoded that he wants to stay in England due to his personal issues?

Very nice OP indeed! pity its about the Victory! ha. Lots of rumors flying about that Kewell is on his way back with Allsop retiring. Wish he would come to AUFC, we'll let Victory have Bruce Shjite!

Very nice OP! :thup:

I haven't played the beta yet, but is Harry Kewell willing to come back to the A-League in the game? Or is it hardcoded that he wants to stay in England due to his personal issues?

No, I set him to not want to play in Australia before I released him. Looks like it now needs to be changed.

The Victory board will allow you to scout globally, which I was done successfully on my beta save. But the scouts available, well on my database are pretty bad.

Should load a pretty extensive database, if your computer allows you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well, I am starting a short term Victory save. I tend not to play the A-League early as the bugs annoy me too much. Once the next database patch comes out I will start another game.

First off I have resigned Marco Rojas to a five year deal as well as signing Ante Rozic to play alonside Leijer. I am hoping this is enough to see me thorugh the first season. Signing qaulity staff on the other hand may be easier said than done.

I played a season and a half with victory, trying to implement how they play irl atm, makes it easier going to watch them everyweek on gaining an understanding, started off slowly was 2-2 and 7 but once i got the tactic right i flew home losing only one more game for the year that been the grandfinal to roar, signed david carney as i found i could never get the best out of traore, tried playing archie on the flank earlier in the season as in irl but then put him up front and banged in 15 for the year, cernak was my surprise really owned the left wing but finkler dominated the central midfield role as an AP next to celeski or broxham, flores was up and down for me aswell, didn't want to leave but got offered a job in england but may go back to it and i saved the game prior to accepting my new job

Won the GF in season one. I finished fourth in the league as my team took about 20 games to gell. Not good in a league of only 27 games. Marco Rojas has been my star. I resigned him before the season started and he delivered from both wings with 9 goals and 16 assits. I did get a few players in January - David Carney to put a bit of pressure on Adama Traore, Danijel Georgievski to play RB as I wasn't happy with the current RB's at the club, James Holland to play a ball winning midfielder and also because I got Owen Heargreaves before the season started and his injury proneness was hting my team. Hargreaves is only on a one year deal so will leave at the end of the season. I am also trying to move Flores and Thompson on to start a bit of a new beginning at Victory. I have Tommy Rojic, Dimi Petratos, Matt Ryan, Ernesto Lopez and Elias Figueroa coming in at the end of the season. As I am now in the ACL I will also be looking for a quality Asian player. Not sure who yet but there are some I do have my eye on. Japan does get some good regens so I might try and raid their cupboard.

I'm using a modified version of this:

Coe

RB - Leijer - Milligan - Traore

Broxham - Ferreria - Finkler

Rojas - Thompson

Flores

I also have a modified 4-2-2-2 box midfield.

GK

WB(s) - CD(x) - CD© - WB(s)

A(d) - DLP(s)

AP(a) - AM(a)

IF(a) - IF(a)

I'm still playing around with the second tactic. I did need to turn all long shots off and am not convinced by the anchorman or attacking mids yet.

Won the league with the top tactic above. Won by 4 points in the end as I had Adelaide in the last game who were second by only 1 point. I'm sort of tossing up using the finals as a test for the lower tactic above since I have already qualified for the ACL (hmm, imagine a club doing that IRL - AFC should listen to the FFA about where the new ACL slots are to go). I have signed a new Brazillian DM but also have my eye on James Holland and Chris Herd who are both coming out of contract. If I get Herd he will take one of the three midfield spots. Alex Cisak is also coming off contract and I want to sign him so I can cash in on Nathan Coe (edited into my side). There are a couple of other Australians coming off contract (Scott McDonald, Jamie Maclaren) who I have my eye on but the salary cap is tight. I signed David Carney previously but need him gone now as I have a better regen who came through last season.

Cheers for that mate, i can never seem to get tge best out of traore, carney was immense for me in the second half of the first season, i may go back to my victory save, no place like home, runners up in first year, lets hope i can go one better this year

Cheers for that mate, i can never seem to get tge best out of traore, carney was immense for me in the second half of the first season, i may go back to my victory save, no place like home, runners up in first year, lets hope i can go one better this year

Traore is a star for me. WB(s) works perfectly and he develops really well. If you want I can post some detailed pics of my tactic but the link above should detail how to set it up as well as the modifications I have made for FM13.

I have just won the Grand Final, allowing Adelaide only 1 shot that wasn't on target. The issue was it took until the second half of extra time for me to win.

Time to set up for the ACL now

The ACL was a bust. Bloody Guangzhou are impossible to beat - especially when you lose two players to injury. 3 wins and 3 losses (2 to Guangzhou) doesn't cut it.

Tactic setup is below:

tacticsetup.png

bwmu.png

dlpdw.png

dlps.png

All players are set to hard tackling except the striker. All other instructions are as the TC sets them except the treee CM's pictured above. Don't forget to read through the link above and set the middle DLP(d) to the playmaker. Team tactics are the same as set up in the thread linked above.

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm back. Started as new game with the Victory. I have strayed a few times since the patch came out but I'm back to my true love.

First season is always consolidation of the team for me. I havbe been playing a 4-2-2-2 box midfield. First season had Rojas as an advanced forward then sold him for £1.5m. Also got rid of Finkler and Flores for £1m each. With that I invested in a deep lying playmaker (Hughes Zagbayou) for £750k and banked the rest. Got GF runner up in the first season and won it in the second. ACL had me drawn at home for the first 3 group games (beat Tianjin in the East Playoff Final) against Channam, S-Pulse and Beijing. Started with three wins then a loss away to Channum in the first game away. Thats where I am right now. Hoping to win the ACL. Striker is the key. Got a French bloke on loan from ES Tunis who has jumping and strength 17 which should be enough to monster the Japanese, Chinese and Korean defences. Just hoping their more skillful players cannot beat my physical game.

So, won the ACL but bombed out of the CWC in the first two games. Injuries took their toll and I was playing a 3rd string midfield. I have managed to get Terry Antonis to come in next season though which will give me some much needed creativity in the midfield. I want Eli Babalj as well but he isn't keen on negotiating yet. Eric Paartalu and Matt McKay are coming out of contract so am looking at them as well.

have any of you guys played in the MLS and A-League?

Question being, after years and years of playing FM and previously CM in my youthful days, during FM12 the franchise grew stale for me and after searching for a new challenge I gave the MLS a try.

I took alot of time to study the rules etc which quite clearly are different from anything else ive experienced. I ended up loving the save and quite honestly it was one of the best experiences ive had playing the franchise.

Now from what many people have told me, the MLS nicked alot of ideas from the A-League (correct me if im wrong). Is the league as enjoyable in the opinion of those whove played both.

Are the rules are similar to the MLS as im assuming?

I really do think ill venture to the A-League once my 1 and only FM13 long term save ends for what ever reason.

Great thread by the way!

G'day Mattias,

The rules are similar but probablyt a bit softer in Australia. For example, there is no draft, the marquee (designated players) have their whole wage off the salary cap, one marquee needs to be Australian and you can havbe up to three junior marquees under 23 where $150k of their combined wage comes off the salary cap.

2015/16:

26 games unbeaten in the HAL. Looking for the perfect season. Had a few surprises along the way. I loaned out Mate Dugandzic to Rangers who had been my leading goalscorer as I had Jesse Makarounas sitting on the bench and he needed games. Sold Adrian Leijer for £725k, Adama Traore for £1.5m, Jimmy Jeggo for £2.2m and Massimo Luongo for £2.6m. This really took the heart out of my team but I had the backups. Best purchase was a French striker I had on loan for the previous two seasons - Jean-David Beauguel. A big targetman who dominates in both Asia and Australia. 22 goals in 28 matches has been great since he plays as a supporting targetman. Luke Garbutt was a free transfer who took over from Adama Traore and that has worked perfectly. I now have four of my five visa players due for Australian citizenship at the end of the 2016/17 season. If a big name visa player comes up I will loan one of my current visa players to Bentleigh Greens so they tick over to become Australians and then they will be welcomed back into my squad.

All is good at Melbourne Victory.

Oh, and the A-League is ranked second behind the K-League in Asia.

Unbelievably had a contract offer to Wesley Sneijder accepted. Currently 32 so should dominate. Am waiting on some offers to Mario Gomez, Rafeal van der Vaart and Diego Contento before confirming the deal

A bit. I have a star striker as does Brisbane. I am yet to see a defender, midfielder or keeper worth keeping at Melbourne but Newcastle got a rb who was better suited to cb. The quality is about the same as real life I guess

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have won the league again. Turns out I had to release Sneijder as my visa players refused to go out on loan. No issues, there are plenty of players coming off contract and I have three of my visa players becoming Australian before October 31. I will be getting in two CM's (an advanced playmaker and a CM Attack) but I am not sure what to do with the other visa spot. I may just spend it on a talented kid who can step into the midfield in the future as attacking midfielders aren't being produced by Australia. I have my eyes on two of Mesut Ozil, Esteban Granero, Yoann Gourcuff, John Fleck, Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, Danny, Per Ciljan Skjelbred, Hakan Calhanoglu, Antonio Candreva and a 20yo CAM newgen from West Ham named Brent O'Donnell. They are the main players I will be targeting but there are a few others such as Ravel Morrison but they are a bit further down the pecking order.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys.

I'm currently playing with MV and I am in my second season. I won't talk about my save in details because I might talk about it in a career update. However, I have a few issues and I'm wondering if any of you have had the same and found solutions..

First of all, every pre-season, there's automatically the training camp in either South Africa or India.. Which is completely useless since it cost around €500K.. Any way to cancel it?

Also, I'm in october in 2nd season and already spend €2M in taxes and others, more or less twice as much than during the first season.. This is crazy, I don't see how - except by becoming a selling club - I can develop the club financially.. Is this happening only in my save or does this also occurred in your saves? Also, does this stabilized with time? I know about the financial issues in the A-League from previous experiences (you might remember my youth only save in FM12 with CCM) so I wouldn't be suprised if this happend with any club in the league, but with MV?!

Anyway, thanks in advance, and I have to say I can't wait for the FM14 threads about this league to appear! I won't be playing FM14 but I appreciate reading about others' saves in this very fun league to play in. :)

How come you wont be playing FM14 chap if you dont mind me asking? On a side note I cant really answer your main questiong as ive not managed in the A-League yet, though Im thinking about giving the A-League a bash on FM14 as its one of the few leagues i've yet to try.

Because if you, like me, never play within one of the best leagues available (or should I say, within the only country that counts for SI, England), you can wait until february and the last patch to have a "proper" game, with minimum bugs.. And since, with FM13, even the last patch doesn't solve numerous issues, I will just wait and see concerning FM14. If I see that, in february '14, most of the issues already raised in the bugs and data forums are resolved, that I might consider buying it.

Anyway, that won't prevent me from following and enjoying others' saves. ;)

Ah right, I feel your pain.

Despite living in England, having a season ticket for Norwich City etc....I rarely play within the UK, until late in a journeyman save.

Like you, I Never purchase FM until January now. I prefer to wait until a majority of the key bugs are ironed out, while also ensuring I have all the latest facepacks, kits packs etc....ready to implement.

Fingers crossed all goes well for this FM so you can purchase and enjoy.

• 1 month later...

Anyone still playing in the A-League on FM13? Promised myself Id experience the A-League on fm13 before getting fm14 and finally growing board of my 1 long term save so picked the first Oz side I got randomly and that was Melbourne Heart. Looking for pointers and advice.

Archived