FM10 - Official Players Role Thread

millsy1982

I was looking around trying to see how others play certain players and did not see much, so I thought I'd start off a thread where you can add how you managed to get the best out of a certain player.

Lets try and keep to this format:

Name:

Club:

Position:

Role:

Mentality:

Other Instructions:

I'll start off then:

Name: Chris Taylor

Club: Oldham Athletic

Position: AMR/L

Role: Winger

Mentality: Attack

Other Instructions: Hug Touchline, Crossing Mixed

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good idea.

Maybe it could also be used as a help thread? Like if you have a certain player but don't know how to play him, come here and ask for advice.

eg.

Jon Smith asks : I can't get Pirlo to perform for my Milan side, currently playing him as a Central Midfielder in a Support role. How should I be playing him to get the best out of him??

Dave Davis replies : I think his abilities best suit playing him as a Defensive Midfielder in a Deep Lying Playmaker role.

Might be helpful??

Good idea.

Maybe it could also be used as a help thread? Like if you have a certain player but don't know how to play him, come here and ask for advice.

eg.

Jon Smith asks : I can't get Pirlo to perform for my Milan side, currently playing him as a Central Midfielder in a Support role. How should I be playing him to get the best out of him??

Dave Davis replies : I think his abilities best suit playing him as a Defensive Midfielder in a Deep Lying Playmaker

Might be helpful??

Sounds good to me. If your stuck and you can't find the answer in this thread, just ask!

Name: Carlos Tevez

Club: Manchester City

Position: FC

Role: Defensive Forward

Mentality: Depends - If you are playing against a team with a deep lying playmaker or DM then support. If not Attack

Other Instructions: None

I've had great success playing Tevez this way. Quite often the goals he scores are so simple, intercepting backpasses or taking the ball of defenders. His high workrate and determination means he will not stop chasing and closing down your opponents defence and forcing them into long ball tactics or errors.

Name: Craig Bellamy

Role: Target Man

Other Instructions: On team instructions, set play Bellamy as your primary Target Man and put the Target Man supply to, Run On To Ball.

Using Bellamy in this role as an impact sub, has so far rewarded me with a return of 13 goals in 7 starts and 9 sub appearences.

If i am honest all i want from him is goals :D.

I don't think it is a good idea to have any lone striker set on an attack mentality, it isolates him too much from the rest of the team. I would set him as a complete forward ona support mentality. I use David Villa as this in my attacking tactic and he has 11 league goals in 10 apperances so far this season.

I don't think it is a good idea to have any lone striker set on an attack mentality, it isolates him too much from the rest of the team. I would set him as a complete forward ona support mentality. I use David Villa as this in my attacking tactic and he has 11 league goals in 10 apperances so far this season.

Okay I will try this thanks.

This is following the Sporting Lisbon save I just finished.

Name: Simon Vukcevic

Club: Sporting

Position: AM L/C

Role: Attacking Midfielder

Mentality: Attacking

Other Instructions: Much creative freedom, longshots sometimes, run with ball often. Will dominate between midfield and attack.

Name: Joao Moutinho

Position: MC

Role: Box to Box midfielder

Mentality: Normal

Other Instructions: Set his closing down to high, passes to mixed, longshots to sometimes. He may not have the best stats, but this guy is money. If you need a goal, he will score it. The Gerrard of Sporting.

Name: Miguel Veloso

Position: D / M C

Role: Deep Lying Playmaker

Mentality: Standard

Other Instructions: Tackling aggressive, closing down always, through balls often, passing mixed. One of my all time favourite players, great passing, ensures you control the game from midfield.

If you want to change someone RWB option do you have to switch back to the classic way or can you do it using the creator?

Not that I'm overly bothered, but the question is probably more suited for the Tactics Forum.

The idea of this thread is to discuss how players play in certain roles with certain mentalities.

To answer your question though: As far as I can tell, if upon creating your tactic a player hasn't got the desired RWB that you want, you have to manually change it using the ADVANCED button on that players instructions. Hope that helps!

Back on topic, Although I'm doing very well with Man City at the moment I can't seem to get Adebayor to play well at all. I've only got the 3 strikers at the moment (Santa Cruz is injured) and Tevez is my first choice, usually with Adebayor, but I can't get him playing well at all. Bellamy plays very well with Tevez but I know if I could get Adebayor playing well he would be a lot more dangerous.

I'm conviced that I've got Tevez playing well as a defensive forward (see earlier post) and I've tried Adebayor as a supporting & attacking Target Man and also as an attacking complete forward. So far I've had very little in return from him. He very rarely plays over a 7 and has only scored 2 goals so far.

Any ideas people?

Not that I'm overly bothered, but the question is probably more suited for the Tactics Forum.

The idea of this thread is to discuss how players play in certain roles with certain mentalities.

To answer your question though: As far as I can tell, if upon creating your tactic a player hasn't got the desired RWB that you want, you have to manually change it using the ADVANCED button on that players instructions. Hope that helps!

Back on topic, Although I'm doing very well with Man City at the moment I can't seem to get Adebayor to play well at all. I've only got the 3 strikers at the moment (Santa Cruz is injured) and Tevez is my first choice, usually with Adebayor, but I can't get him playing well at all. Bellamy plays very well with Tevez but I know if I could get Adebayor playing well he would be a lot more dangerous.

I'm conviced that I've got Tevez playing well as a defensive forward (see earlier post) and I've tried Adebayor as a supporting & attacking Target Man and also as an attacking complete forward. So far I've had very little in return from him. He very rarely plays over a 7 and has only scored 2 goals so far.

Any ideas people?

I have Tevez as a target man - play to feet. Adebayor I have as a complete forward, he can do it all.

Name: Sergio Agüero

Club: Atlético Madrid

Position: AMC

Role: Inside Forward

Mentality: Support

Other Instructions: He's quite versatile. He could play as a striker with a advanced forward role as well. Give him a Free Role.

Need help with defoe and modric in a 442 modric lw.

Please

I'll probably play Modric as an Inside Forward or an Advanced Playmaker (support or attack is fine). Put him as the team's playmaker and allow him to roam from position.

Defoe would probably do very well as a poacher besides a big targetman like Crouch or Pavlyuchenko.

Name: Carlos Tevez

Role: Defensive Forward

Mentality: Depends - If you are playing against a team with a deep lying playmaker or DM then support. If not Attack

I've had great success playing Tevez this way. Quite often the goals he scores are so simple, intercepting backpasses or taking the ball of defenders. His high workrate and determination means he will not stop chasing and closing down your opponents defence and forcing them into long ball tactics or errors.

Took a leaf out of your book and decided to play rooney this way and what can i say but thanks hes a beast in this role. 7 goals in 6 games

Took a leaf out of your book and decided to play rooney this way and what can i say but thanks hes a beast in this role. 7 goals in 6 games

Your welcome. One satisfied customer! :D Let's see if we can get some more players listed on here, the more players listed the more help others will get!

It's crazy how effective this role is if you use the right player. Rooney/Tevez/Lisandro etc will all excel in this role.

Name: Cristian Zapata

Club: Manchester City (bought him from Udinese)

Position: Central Defender

Role: Central Defender

Mentality: Stopper

Other Instructions: N/A

When it comes to attacking the ball, this guy is your man. Play him alongside a pacey, intelligent Centre Half with a cover mentality and watch him mop up anything that comes in the air. He'll dominate all day and on the very rare occasion he does miss a header, your pacey centre half will mop up no problem. So far for me has an average of 7.56 in 18 games and is my 2nd highest rated player. Just checked his actual stats and he wins 97% of all of his headers and most of the missed one's have come in the oppositions area from corners.

Name:Edin Džeko

Club: Wolfsburg

Role: Complete Striker

Immense for me in this setup, playing as lone striker. 19 goals in 16 games.

Name:Angel Di Maria

Club: Benfica

Position: AML

Role: Winger

Absolutely class, bargain at little over 4million.

Name:Xabi Alonso

Club: Real Madrid

Role: Deep Lying Playmaker

Awesome, watch him split the opponents defence with a long through ball out to the wingers consistantly.

Name: Daniele De Rossi

Club: AS Roma

Role: Box to Box Midfielder

Playing amazing for me with these instructions for Chelsea. Has scored 3 and has 2 assists in his first 4 games.

Name:Michael Rankine

Club: York City

Role: Targetman

Other Instructions: TTB, RWB, LS and Cross at rarely, run from deep set too mixed.

Scored 6 in 8 so far Rank's is a beast in the BSP.

Can anyone give me a hand getting Brodie to start banging them in as well?

I play with Chelsea a 4-1-2-1-2, with my first choice midfield and attack being:

DM - De Rossi

LCM - Lampard

RCM - Essien

AM - Cassano

ST - Dzeko

ST - Drogba

Which role and mentality do you think I should use for each?

Personally i set De Rossi to ball winner, defend with no other instructions.

You could also check the second post up from yours that suggests how to play him

Name:Wes Brown

Club:Manchester United

Position:CB

Role:Limited Defender

Mentality:Stopper

Other Instructions:None

Name:Rio Ferdinand

Club:Manchester United

PositionCB

Role:Limited Defender

Mentality:Cover

Other Instructions:None

When played together like this they are almost unplayable unbeaten in every competition bar 1.(an unlucky 2 nil defeat to besiktas in the champions cup. My only defeat so far.)

Vidic could also play the brown role

I would also be greatful if somebody could help with Hamsik. I cannot get him playing well at all.

Even though hes only played 3 games before getting injured for 3 months he scored 1 and set 4 up with 2mom. I play him as an advanced playmaker with attack mentality. hope it helps

Personally i set De Rossi to ball winner, defend with no other instructions.

You could also check the second post up from yours that suggests how to play him

I play De Rossi as a Deep Lying Playmaker (Defend) as DMC in a diamond midfield with Man City, and I've yet to lose after 6 EPL games. He doesn't get amazing ratings, usually 6.6-7.2 but who cares about ratings anyway? ;) He pulls off some stunning passes occasionally, gets the ball off the opposition and generally defends the backline so I can't really ask for anything more...

If i am honest all i want from him is goals :D.

I play him as a poacher alongside RVP

Name: Eduardo

Club: Arsenal

Position: ST

Role: poacher

Other Instructions: (keep as default)

Name: Robin Van Persie

Club: Arsenal

Position: AM®, ST

Role: Deep-lying attacker