Are there any other teams like Athletic Bilboa?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by golfpunk:

Yeah if your Rangers or Celtic you must, i repeat MUST, sign all the good players from the other SPL teams so you don't have any competition to play against! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How else are we going to have decent reserve teams?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FM-GAMER-4-LIFE:

You f**king hoe back do you think their is any other team like Athletic Bilboa. You ****ing tit ****, I THINK THEIR IS AN Athletic Bilboa? in the spl you silly snorkle loving eye popping belly rubbing spud ****ing dick ****, away you go and **** yer breakfast oot, ****ing long face!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooohh get her !!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dixie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FM-GAMER-4-LIFE:

You f**king hoe back do you think their is any other team like Athletic Bilboa. You ****ing tit ****, I THINK THEIR IS AN Athletic Bilboa? in the spl you silly snorkle loving eye popping belly rubbing spud ****ing dick ****, away you go and **** yer breakfast oot, ****ing long face!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooohh get her !! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had them on ignore then you go and quote it icon_wink.gif

I know there is another team in spain which only uses Basque players, I think they are lower league however.

The only other club with limitations are Toronto FC. IIRC you can only have 3 American players, the rest have to be from canada. So you have to rely on the canadian clubs, whose rep is terrible. A challenge, for sure.

Whats that all about?

Sorry for the lack of team names here:

In Hong Kong, there's a team that only has young players to improve their chances of having a good national team for the next Olympic games.

South Korea has a team for players than are doing national service, and this is implemented into the game.

Singapore (Young) Lions is the same type of team as the Hong Kong team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amplifierworship:

Sorry for the lack of team names here:

In Hong Kong, there's a team that only has young players to improve their chances of having a good national team for the next Olympic games.

South Korea has a team for players than are doing national service, and this is implemented into the game.

Singapore (Young) Lions is the same type of team as the Hong Kong team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was going to try and start a bilbao-esque challenge but it would be almost impossible in game.

I usually try to buy only players from the country I am managing in, or players with dual nationality. So far has only worked with the bigger teams but had limited success with an all English Wigan team. I won the ECL with a Bayern team of all Germans all under 28 but had a really lucky draw throughout and it was incredibly easy to sign players on frees (once I had declared an interest, they didn't renew) because of the team reuptation.

Tried it with Milan in 2016 but was surprised at the lack of decent Italian players and found myself signing mainly Argentinians with dual nationality.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amplifierworship:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea that was Hong Kong 08. but the team is not there anymore because they fail to qualify.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The only other club with limitations are Toronto FC. IIRC you can only have 3 American players, the rest have to be from canada. So you have to rely on the canadian clubs, whose rep is terrible. A challenge, for sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That can't be right can it? Aren't they the ones with Danny Dichio, Andy Welsh, Carl Robinson and the like playing for them?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by op1:

I think Chivas can only sign mexicans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't that keeper who Villa were going to sign in the window, Guzan, play for them? He's American is he not?

In fact, just checked on Wiki, they have only a single Mexican on their 'roster'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KK2003:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by op1:

I think Chivas can only sign mexicans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't that keeper who Villa were going to sign in the window, Guzan, play for them? He's American is he not?

In fact, just checked on Wiki, they have only a single Mexican on their 'roster' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually scrap this. I didn't realise there was a Chivas in the MLS and a Chivas in the Mexican league as well. The side in Mexico will only field Mexican born players.

Here is a few more 'Spanish' teams who have player restrictions:

Barakaldo;

Real Union;

Sestao;

Numancia

There may be more, but they are probably in the lower leagues. All of the above are from the Basque region. Bayonne in France may employ it as well but i'm not sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KK2003:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The only other club with limitations are Toronto FC. IIRC you can only have 3 American players, the rest have to be from canada. So you have to rely on the canadian clubs, whose rep is terrible. A challenge, for sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That can't be right can it? Aren't they the ones with Danny Dichio, Andy Welsh, Carl Robinson and the like playing for them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andy Welsh plays for Blackpool, signed from Toronto F.C. As far as I knwo they still have Danny Dichio.

Don't know about them only having 3 foreign players.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by swirlypop69:

That can't be right can it? Aren't they the ones with Danny Dichio, Andy Welsh, Carl Robinson and the like playing for them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andy Welsh plays for Blackpool, signed from Toronto F.C. As far as I knwo they still have Danny Dichio.

Don't know about them only having 3 foreign players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its 3 Americans and then 4 players you can sign from anywhere as per MLS rules. A bit confusing, maybe I didn't explain properly icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tps4ever:

In Finland is one club, what signs ONLY refugee people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uskomatonta, tiedätkö joukeen nimi?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James.Clench:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tps4ever:

In Finland is one club, what signs ONLY refugee people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uskomatonta, tiedätkö joukeen nimi? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

En valitettavasti muista nimeä :/ Mutta Turussa/Kaarinassa joukkue pelaa.

And in English same: I Don't remember, sorry :/ But in Turku/Kaarina the club plays.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HyperMusic:

Real Sociedad only play basque spaniards, but will sign players from abroad too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure this is true anymore. A couple of seasons back they broke the rule to sign Boris, who is a Spanish centre back, but not from the Basque region. I don't know if this was a one-off, or whether they have now scrapped the rule.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by borthwc3:

Here is a few more 'Spanish' teams who have player restrictions:

Barakaldo;

Real Union;

Sestao;

Numancia

There may be more, but they are probably in the lower leagues. All of the above are from the Basque region. Bayonne in France may employ it as well but i'm not sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was checking wikipedia about those clubs & was suprised to see a Welsh guy playing at Barakaldo!

A major correction -

Numancia have what restrictions exactly?

As far as I know they're not Basque and they sign players from anywhere, foreign and otherwise. They may not have many at present as they are in second division and not basking in cash!

The others are correct, with Real Union winning 2 Spanish cups in the 20s being a big achievement when you see their positioning nowadays.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HyperMusic:

Real Sociedad only play basque spaniards, but will sign players from abroad too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure this is true anymore. A couple of seasons back they broke the rule to sign Boris, who is a Spanish centre back, but not from the Basque region. I don't know if this was a one-off, or whether they have now scrapped the rule. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok, going by wikipedia:

While they still attempt to keep a core of Basque players, whether coming from their own teams or signed from other clubs, they will also employ non-Basque Spanish players, as well as foreigners.

so it looks like they do their best to adhere to it, but don't actually HAVE to. I'm more a Bilbao person anyway, admire how they do what they do and that a team with such restrictions can have both a great history and also have played every season in la liga.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by swirlypop69:

Its 3 Americans and then 4 players you can sign from anywhere as per MLS rules. A bit confusing, maybe I didn't explain properly icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But Toronto FC has 4 Americans (Edu, Wynne, Dunivant, and Cunningham) and all their draft picks are not Canadian icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Flanno7hi:

there is a team here in ireland in gort in galway i think called FC samba that is all brazilian nationals </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

**** me, i checked this out, and it's true!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neil220779:

I managed Real Sociedad on a previous version and I wasn't allowed to sign Spanish players, only foreigners. I guess they have to nurture their own talent.

Anyone know if this is still the case? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the tradition was they could sign anyone except Spaniards without Basque nationality...

Piacenza used to be fully Italian and would sign no one else. I don't think this was ever implemented into the game though. I'm pretty sure they broke this by signing Matuzalem or somebody...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Leonard Chen:

i remember on 06 i managed cadiz, from a lower div in spain, and i wasnt allowed to sign non basque... and i didnt know how to search for basque players.... i still dont icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's a bit fishy considering the city of cadiz is in andalucia on the south west coast of spain, with Huelva (recreativo) and Seville (Sevilla, Betis) and Malaga being it's closest bigger clubs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Leonard Chen:

i remember on 06 i managed cadiz, from a lower div in spain, and i wasnt allowed to sign non basque... and i didnt know how to search for basque players.... i still dont icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's a bit fishy considering the city of cadiz is in andalucia on the south west coast of spain, with Huelva (recreativo) and Seville (Sevilla, Betis) and Malaga being it's closest bigger clubs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. If you were managing a Basque-only club, you would know how to search for Basque players.

I only play welsh players in EPL with merthyr tydfil and I'm a middle EPL team, but have won FA cup twice, and future is bright, several players can achieve EPL stars status icon_razz.gif

It's possible to play with players of one country icon_wink.gif

Bilbao has this kind of restrictions (not for manuagers). They can only play basque players, but they cheat a little: players with basque parents, or from a couple of neigbour provinces (navarra and la rioja) can also play as basques, but they are not truly basque provinces.

real sociedad plays with lots of own players but has several foreigners, and numancia has no restrictions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

Its 3 Americans and then 4 players you can sign from anywhere as per MLS rules. A bit confusing, maybe I didn't explain properly icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats quite funny, all of those have played for sunderland.......

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Boy_Wonda:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neil220779:

I managed Real Sociedad on a previous version and I wasn't allowed to sign Spanish players, only foreigners. I guess they have to nurture their own talent.

Anyone know if this is still the case? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the tradition was they could sign anyone except Spaniards without Basque nationality...

Piacenza used to be fully Italian and would sign no one else. I don't think this was ever implemented into the game though. I'm pretty sure they broke this by signing Matuzalem or somebody... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basque wasn't mentioned, when I tied to sign a Spaniard , I got news telling me that Sociedead couldn't sign Spanish players, The game may have gotten it wrong, but this was defeniteley how it worked.

But Toronto FC has 4 Americans (Edu, Wynne, Dunivant, and Cunningham) and all their draft picks are not Canadian icon_confused.gif

Toronto can have any number of foreign players under 24 it's once the players are over 24 the restriction kicks in. Which is why Edu, Wynne don't count. However that is a mute point since MLS eased this rules for the upcoming year.

I have a serious question for Bilbao managers.

The club is surely big enough to scout the entire world. Do you have the option to send scouts all over the world, so that you can get half Nigerian, half Basque players in your youth team?

I mean, it's a silly premise, that your knowledge of Nigeria determines how many Nigerian-born Spaniards turn up in the Basque country, but that's how FM works, so is it possible?

Archived