nacho Novo

• SI Staff

If you click on Nacho Novo and go to his "Personal" section then you'll see that he's spent enough time in Scotland to gain citizenship and therefore be selected for the Scottish national team.

He hasn't got a British passport so he doesn't have Scottish set as any second nationality in the database.

What a joke it is to let foreigners play for other countries, we might aswell just scrap international football and have some sort of united league competition instead. I dont care if Novo lives in scotland for the next 100 years he will never be scottish, and Almunia will never be english, rediculous.

What a joke it is to let foreigners play for other countries, we might aswell just scrap international football and have some sort of united league competition instead. I dont care if Novo lives in scotland for the next 100 years he will never be scottish, and Almunia will never be english, rediculous.

And on that mentalily...

Richards, Cole, SWP, Heskey etc...

Half of france?

And so on.

And on that mentalily...

Richards, Cole, SWP, Heskey etc...

Half of france?

And so on.

Missing the point and worryingly racist. These guys might be black but they're English-born. Novo, Almunia etc would qualify only on residency grounds, having applied for citizenship.

As for the France issue, it's a thorny subject. The majority of the players in question were either born in the French DOM/TOMs (Thierry Henry, for instance, was born in Martinique) where both the French and Martiniquais national teams have a claim to him (but France got him first, for obvious reasons), or in former French colonies like Senegal or Algeria (Patrick Vieira born in Dakar, Zidane descended from Algeria) where nationality could be disputed. Even David Trezeguet is of Argentine lineage! In any case, this situation is totally different, in particular from the England players you mentioned, and still from the Novo/Almunia point. The players being selected by France have, by and large, lived in france either their entire lives (second-, third- etc generation immigrants) or certainly since childhood, and therefore probably should be considered French. Novo and Almunia would only qualify for citizenship on the grounds of having worked abroad in this country for five years during their adulthood. To allow this sort of thing in International football would be a mockery.

This is possible, I have played a number of players for Scotland who aren't Scottish. It is also possible for a player to declare for a nation.

BTW for all those people who are slamming Scotland for considering Novo, I don't remember too many people complaining about the Republic Of Ireland in the 90's/early 00's, in fact they were a much loved team despite being an English B team.

I can never remember whether you become inelligible to play for another country if your called up to your own squad or whether you have to actually play

You have to play for the full 'A' squad in a FIFA sactioned match. An example is Adu who played only a couple of minutes or something, but got away with it because it wasn't an official match so he can still play for Ghana.

At least that's how I remember it.

You have to play for the full 'A' squad in a FIFA sactioned match. An example is Adu who played only a couple of minutes or something, but got away with it because it wasn't an official match so he can still play for Ghana.

At least that's how I remember it.

Cheers bud

National identity and patriotism is a joke anyway, so is race and ethnicity.

National identity and patriotism are based on perceived similarities between people of the same country for example. That's not real and everybody knows it. You lead very different lifestyles and have very different beliefs to your neighbours and also to the people in the neighbouring neighbourhood and neighbouring cities and even what the statistics people tell you are the "average" lifestyles people in your country lead. As soon as this illusion disappears, all sense of National identity is gone, and along with that, patriotism.

Race and ethnicity is a joke because nobody even knows the exact definition of it. There can be a million ways to explain what they mean. Race generally means your country and ethnicity generally means your heritage, but these can get mixed up so much you would have examples that don't even make sense if you stick to a rigid definition of the two concepts.

International matches should be taken for fun rather than a thing of national pride, or even completely taken away, as highlighting difference in races only promotes racism (where is the racism when there is no such thing as race?), as we have seen here. I don't even mean the blatant racism we usually see where loud idiots proclaim their country's superiority and mock other's inferiority. I'm talking about a more sinister kind, the kind where they don't say it out loud so you can't do anything about it but you know it's still there.

------------------------------

Back on topic, yeah I got him to play for Scotland (he did well), but it is hard when players don't like being nationalised for another country. I hope that it will be easier in FM09 to ask players (or they are better at realising when they need it) to get a different citizenship. The only time the players seem to get it is when they are super young and have just come back from a feeder they are more likely to take that citizenship!

It makes me laugh, all those scotland fans who abuse Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy for choosing The Republic of Ireland to play national football, because they are decendants, ie their grandparents are Irish.

They say that McCarthy and McGeady are bigots, for using Scottish Schools, hospitals etc, and choosing to play football for another country. And that they are using the fact that they are Catholics, and stating this is the ONLY reason for the choosing to do such a thing and play for The Republic, due to Scotland being a majority Protestant nation???? (Yeah Right) and turning their back on their "TRUE" country.

Although now on the other hand Ratcho Novo, has decided he's never going to be good enough to play for his Country so he might as well try his hand with scotland, and thats acceptable. So from the same point of view as McGeady and McCarthy being "turncoats" as they put it, why isnt Novo being tarred with the same brush? Surely him being a Catholic and turning his back on a Catholic nation to play for a so called Protestant nation is also secterian?? No??

Look once a great men says it doesnt make a difference where you are born aslong yes you live and feel connected to the palce where ever you live.

About the rangers and celtic booth plçay for scotland both are sons of the same father so who cares if one is blue and the other is green. Football is fun not a war zone.

In football manager i also coach teams that i am not fan of because its a game its fun to play its not a reality. I have a friend that accused also to coach rival teams but i told him that its a game and in real life we all are humans for good sake.

Football its a lovely sport with emotion fun you win you lose thats the game lets keep it fair and clear from all the dark arround. We are the fans we are the once that love and are abnle to change the game how its was once. A family event with fun a and sportmenship.

I wish you all a nice weekend full of fun cause its football day mates;)

Maybe you cannot call him up because he doesn't want to play for Scotland? In one of my games Ever Banega got a Spanish passport because he was at Valencia for a few years. I was the Spain manager and I couldn't call him up, I checked his personnel section and under 'General Happiness' is said something like he wants to play for Argentina :).

Archived