My board just sold my star man

Im buggered my board has just sold my best midfielder for £39M, and since im manageing in Scotland i wont be able to replace him certainly not in time for the CL. Im gutted. He came through my ranks and everything.

Ive won the league 5 times in a row and im Rangers. The midfielder was a regen called Ali Knox. Realistic maybe but its the first time he has got involved he was going to let me keep Igor Ankifeev when he went to the same Premiership club, suprise suprise Arsenal, for just £2M less. It was that i had only bought Ankifeev for a profit that i let him go. Same again with Alan Hutton when he also went to Arsenal for £28.5M.

Comming to think of it. Arsenal have been keeping me alfoat for a number of years now.

Only problem with that is that Arsenal are top of the patch when it comes tomoving clubs in my game at the moment. Im not the best in bringing regens through the ranks thats why this one hurts as much, the fact this las actually made it(IIRC only one of my regen to come through my club and make it to the first team on a regular basis) the only other problem is Augusto Fernadez my replacement for him is now wanted by Asenal and should he go ill struggle to field a good midfield.

With 39 million in the bank you should have plenty of money to replace him with an as good if not better player. As for the champions league I'm not 100% sure but I think you should be able to register him in time if you have a place left in the squad if not and assuming he hasn't played in the same competition for another club you could always register him for the later stages.

Like others I would really like to know what team you are and who it was that paid that kind of money for someone playing in Scotland.

Ive won the league 5 times in a row and im Rangers. The midfielder was a regen called Ali Knox. Realistic maybe but its the first time he has got involved he was going to let me keep Igor Ankifeev when he went to the same Premiership club, suprise suprise Arsenal, for just £2M less. It was that i had only bought Ankifeev for a profit that i let him go. Same again with Alan Hutton when he also went to Arsenal for £28.5M.

Comming to think of it. Arsenal have been keeping me alfoat for a number of years now.

With 39 million in the bank you should have plenty of money to replace him with an as good if not better player. As for the champions league I'm not 100% sure but I think you should be able to register him in time if you have a place left in the squad if not and assuming he hasn't played in the same competition for another club you could always register him for the later stages.

Like others I would really like to know what team you are and who it was that paid that kind of money for someone playing in Scotland.

the above quote from myself answers your question.

also attracking that kind of player to Scotland is impossible, yes i coulds bid £39M for a replacement, but then comes the wage problem. Im not a Chelsea nor do players of this standard want to play against Dundee and Falkirk etc. when they can easily stay put and play Barcalona's Chelsea's, Byern's week in week out.

This is the third time Arsenal have broke my record sale. They origionally bid £12M but i said £39M thinking they wouldnt bid and break my record sale(previous 2 both set by Arsenal) but they did. I was going to reject noticed no buttons and looked around and noticed my usually very good chirman had sold.

How do i replace a player that good in the Scottish Legaues when alls you care about is beating Celtic and doing well in Europe. You simply cant.

i think mate you need to poach a 19/20 year old regen from brazil, argentina or france and hope he soon becomes as good. if not find the best youth player about and get him. your not going to be able to attract the best players as you have said.

I probably would do that but every south american player ive brought to Scotland does very poor due to the style of play and climiate, well thats what i blame. I have a youngster called Tom Doom who ive placed in the first team to see how he does but its a step up from the under 18's

Just to rub it in this was the news at the end of August

"After an extremely busy English Transfer Window, Arsenal and Liverpool caught the imagination of the fans with two big name signings.

Arsenal signed wonderkid Ali Knox on a £39M deal from Rangers, while Liverpool bought flamboyand forward Asamoah Gyan for £21.5M from Benfica"

Cant be bothered trying to write Benfica properly.

To be fair, the Rangers board have been doing it for years. Being a Celtic fan, I find this hilarious.

But the solution is to scout around the lesser leagues of Europe (like Croatia, Denmark, Belgium, Romania, etc) and hope you can pick up a bargain there. I mean, there might be a Modric lurking at some mid table team.

You don't know until you look.

To be fair, the Rangers board have been doing it for years. Being a Celtic fan, I find this hilarious.

But the solution is to scout around the lesser leagues of Europe (like Croatia, Denmark, Belgium, Romania, etc) and hope you can pick up a bargain there. I mean, there might be a Modric lurking at some mid table team.

You don't know until you look.

We havent. Only player i can think of thats left this way IRL is Alan Hutton.

I see your point as a Celtic fan id probably say the same the other way around.

my celtic board keep doing this to me, so I feel your pain. the only problem I have with it is that keep accepting bids which are less than I paid and the club wanting to buy is usually Aberdeen. (God only knows where all the money is coming from). I've been providing good players for Aberdeen to sell to Rangers at a profit for about 15 years!!!!

ouch, as a Rangers man i like that idea. but Aberdeen to Rangers. Is Calderwood still at the helm

no he was managing liverpool last time i remember seeing him, although liverpool went down last season and don't know who was in charge.

The most frustratuing forced transfer I experienced

1. Celtic (Me) buy a central midfielder from Man City for 2.7mil (17 year old - a prospect for the future)

2. Board sell him to Aberdeen for 2.4mil after 3 seasons (made total of 15 apperances in that time)

3. Following 1 season with Aberdeen transfers to Rangers for 5.25mil

4. Following season moves to Sunderland for 8.25 mil

5. 2 seasons later moves to either Arsenal or Barcelona (cant remember which) for around 24 mil

this was so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats where Aberdeen getting the money then. Buy a Celtic man, sell him to Rangres for a profit. They make money selling for a profit 2 years later. Everyone but you in that chain making a profit bar you.

Thats where Aberdeen getting the money then. Buy a Celtic man, sell him to Rangres for a profit. They make money selling for a profit 2 years later. Everyone but you in that chain making a profit bar you.

yeah i know, i really object to effectivley being a feeder club for Aberdeen when they are effectively a Rangers feeder club. Although it makes no difference to the league standings at the end of the season. ;) (won 13 titles in 15 years)

Also if memory serves Calderwood actually managed rangers between Aberdeen and Liverpool!!!!

Something similar happened to me, I had brought a 16 year old through the ranks at Wycombe to become club captain and a Scottish international by the age of 21. He was worth £2.5m and my chairman accepted a bid of £6m from a club in the same league as me.

One year later I bought him back for £16m then quit the club. Stupid chairman.

Calerwood was a Rangers man thats why i asked. Who replaced him at Aberdeen i currently have McLiesh there.

Billy Davies, although they are on their sixth manager

as for Rangers we have this list of managers between the start of the game and Feb 2023

Walter Smith

Ruud Gullit

Walter Smith

Jimmy Calderwood

Ally McCoist

Craig Levein

Steve Cotterill

Something similar happened to me, I had brought a 16 year old through the ranks at Wycombe to become club captain and a Scottish international by the age of 21. He was worth £2.5m and my chairman accepted a bid of £6m from a club in the same league as me.

One year later I bought him back for £16m then quit the club. Stupid chairman.

I never buy them back unless I can get them back for no more then I was forced to sell them for.

Also I wondered if the problem I am having is as a result of my club having no chairman. (Brian Quinn retires and Brian Reid didnt take over). I was wondering if this means that the 'interference' has defaulted to 1 or 20 (whichever is worst)

I never buy them back unless I can get them back for no more then I was forced to sell them for.

Also I wondered if the problem I am having is as a result of my club having no chairman. (Brian Quinn retires and Brian Reid didnt take over). I was wondering if this means that the 'interference' has defaulted to 1 or 20 (whichever is worst)

Buying him back for that price was my parting shot at the chairman before leaving, just to show how stupid that area of the game can be at times.

I had a really bad chairman at Wycombe and couldn't wait to get out.

Buying him back for that price was my parting shot at the chairman before leaving, just to show how stupid that area of the game can be at times.

I had a really bad chairman at Wycombe and couldn't wait to get out.

I keep thinking I should do that, but I cant bring myself to do it. I know that it would be the end of my game because I don't want to manage anyone else.

I keep thinking I should do that, but I cant bring myself to do it. I know that it would be the end of my game because I don't want to manage anyone else.

Im the same. Love for Rangers kicks in.

Im the same. Love for Rangers kicks in.

when I read your opening post I felt the 'sort it out SI' syndrome feeling coming on because it happens to me too. I guess thinking about it IRL if someone offered nigh on 40mil for your best player no club in scotland is going to turn it down. Even if it had been say Henrik Larsson.

So whilst it annoys the nuts off me I guess it is exactly what would happen, i do however feel your pain (even though your a rangers fan!!!) ;)

Yea thats true, considering the best player in Scotland was sold in January for £9M.

Im just soo ****ed off now, im back on a level playing field with Celtic and lost 2 more points than i did the whole of last season and its only October. Champions League despite a win against Real Madrid i looked average against Man U and NEC. I have bought 3 midfielders not a single one is worthy of relaceing him, ie tried playing a youngster who was similar to no avail. Its like 10 men Rangers before ive even kicked a ball.

2012/2013

Also Alan Hutton has left a huge gap in the Rangers side. IMO and i know many agree, he was by far the best player ever produced at Rangers, and is again IMO the best Scottish player.

2012/2013

Also Alan Hutton has left a huge gap in the Rangers side. IMO and i know many agree, he was by far the best player ever produced at Rangers, and is again IMO the best Scottish player.

Thats fine, but i'm duty bound not to accept that the best player in Scotland plays for Rangers. lol

I'm not even sure I can suggest a replacement becase none of the players in your game will be left in mine.

Yea i agree. Id probably be the same. Apart from you cant denie Gattuso was at one point :D

Sorry had to. and thanks anyway. The team starting to perform better when i promoted Kevin Thomson back to the first team.

£39,000,000 is a good amount though. The best way to counter this, is to offer him out to other clubs for £0. Hopefully he'll accept one of the other clubs contracts ahead of the one the board accepted, then you can cancel the bid.

No need - the Board willstep in and cancel!!!

Set all your players' asking prices to £0, then the AI will generally bid 0 and you'll always have the chance to reject the bid yourself. Only problem is you'll attract vast amounts of interest by doing that!

And the risk with that means that you might get a club the player then wants to go to, and by rejecting the bid just keeps upsetting the players. So that's a big risk.

Don't know if this always works, but if I start getting a lot of bids for younger players, I whack their asking price up to £100m, that usually keeps the wolves at bay, and have never had a chairman accept a low bid when the AP is this high.

I have had my chairman accept bids over my head a few times now. Each time i have gone to the transfer centre window immediately and highlighted the transfer. This then has a 'reject' button appear on the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Bingo transfer cancelled. Has occurred twice with same player and once with a different player.

Only thing i can think of is i'm stil playing 8.0.1.

The fun part is that expectations do not drop , for example i was supposed to win the championship, after my star player was sold the expectations should be to finish mid table.

Do the fans ever get annoyed with the chairman asking him to resign ? because this is realism , if team fails to meet expectations because of stupid player sales it's chairman's fault not manager's .

Archived